Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Changes You'd Like To See

Comments

• great list!

Do you think the rear vents alone will do it? I am thinking a full rear AC/Heater is needed, just like the MPV.

I love the diesel suggestion. Bring it in with the 6 speed.

I am a Subaru guy too, but I don't think the 5 is set up for AWD. Leave it out, or make it optional.

John
  • rlyonrlyon Posts: 57
    There are rear vents, under the fronts seats. They come on when the floor vents are used. Maybe not what you meant, but there is something for the rear.

You can get leather seats from the dealer. The seats are just seat covers so most dealers will get their seamstress to leather up some seat covers for the 5. Around $800-$900 I think.

People have installed a hitch to the 5 for their bikes.

I think I read that the US can't have the middle row because of a law or something. Also, that makes it much more difficult to get into the 3rd row.

Trade in your wagon, you won't regret it. THe 5 is so much fun to drive and I love the looks I get.
  • I'm looking into the Mazda5, just one quick question:

Even the Mazda3 has HID headlight, it is weird that HID is not even an option on the Mazda5. Will this be added to the Mazda5 in the future?

Other than the lack of HID, I'm pertty impressed by the Mazda5. It is a good looking car with a lot of funtions.
  • rlyonrlyon Posts: 57
    HID is not an option, but someone has a thread of their replacement with HID. It didn't seem to take them long to change it out so it's that's a major issue with you at least you know you can do it yourself aftermarket.
  • psychoartpsychoart Posts: 17
    Hey, hey, hey!!! You are not the only one scratching your head on this one.

Yes, the name makes a diffence. You have a Mazda3 with HID, and you want another car for your family with the equal safe driving feature at night on a model that is named more than a 3. But the let down on the higher model named 5 has less content. It's a big "no no," and an insult like I have previously posted on many many Mazda website.

Of course, there are some people around that don't dig this 'thing.' And those people would say: "Why the 'thing' would you need it anyway? I rather have no AC, no airbag, and have 2 door and 2 speakers only in my car. That's just my 2 cents." Bless you, and welcome back to the 1960. Here's a new commercial for the marketing folks: "What's in your wallet :confuse: " I guess there's something call Yaris... PLEASE!

---------------

Back to the subject. I would like to see the Special Edition with the chrome grille from Japan in the US.

Some of the features I would like to have are,

1) LED signal in side mirrors
    2) power retractable side mirrors
    3) blue tinted wide angle and heated side mirrors
    4) memorized side mirrors position for different drivers (e.g. husband and wife)
    5) (alright, enought about the side mirrors) tinted rear windows
    6) power rear hatch (better than power side doors)
    7) lights on the doors when opened (for night safety)
    8) rear ventilation ducts (not necessarily rear AC)
    9) better sounds system for the family PLEASE!
    10) knob control for the sunroof. The push buttons are pain in the 'thing'
    11) HID
    12) rear LED
    13) Euro chrome roof bar please.
    14) tire pressure monitoring system
    15) 5 speed automatic
    16) the foldable trays that everyone has forgotten
    17) the foldable 7 seats

Well, basically bring the Japanese version here, and name it Premacy. We will all be happy. :sick:

BTW, I have all that in my Mazda3, except #4, 6, 8, 10, 13, 16 and 17. #15 is getting standard in 2007 model. The rest of that do not show as regular features have been upgraded with parts from Asia (e.g. #1, 2, and 3), and or custome made (e.g. #7). Even the lowest VW's model (i.e. Golf) has some better safety lightning system than a family Mazda5. Again, it's not just absurd but an insult to precious members of a family. Yes, like the name Mazda.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    1. Diesel w/ manual.
    2. 7 seat option, even if it is a fold down jumpseat in between the middle seats, though a bench seat is preferable.
    3. Maybe some optional suspensions. An inch or two ground clearance would be excellent. Don't like cars that have trouble clearing speed bumps.

I don't give a crap about bling-bling lighting or any other bling bling. You people watch pimp my ride too much.
  • edf4edf4 Posts: 65
    AWD or limited slip differential for us folks in the New England snow belt. Also, while on the subject, a second front and rear power outlet, dual/extending sun visors, and a dashboard switch to control rear interior lights from driver's seat.
  • Moveable roof rack bars...or a basket bracket attachment to accomodate the Load Warrior...

The Mazda5 roof rack does not accomdate the Yakima Load Warrior basket that is sold as an accessory - SHAME!! on Mazda for not testing this more thoroughly (check the pictures on their site). After purchasing my rack and basket from Rosenthal Mazda, I was not able to get the basket installed on the rack - the roof rack spread is greater than the basket brackets will accomdate. I've talked with Yakima, my Mazda dealer and a specialty car rack retailer/installer (Rack & Road in Seattle). The first 2 were no help - Rack & Road says without moveable roof rack bars, the Load Warrior will not fit.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Hope you can join us for a little meet and greet with your fellow Mazda enthusiasts!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• mazdalvrmazdalvr Posts: 16
    I agree the 2.3 turbo would add a nice increase in power to really make the 5 move. The 4 speed auto is ok around town to really get this thing to move you have to use the manual shift mode.
  • If you have looked at the final drive ratios listed in the Mazda specs, the auto actually has a taller overdrive than the manual 5 speed. I would like to see Mazda put in a 6 speed, or if that is considered too busy, maybe they could space out the gears a bit more and put a taller final drive ratio for better economy on the highway.
  • I didn't see this mentioned above, so I thought I'd mention it now. A lot of people, including myself, would like to see HIDs available on the Mazda5. A new "Grand Touring" model for the 2007 model year is going to be available in the U.S. It comes standard with leather seats, HIDs, and blacked-out headlight and taillight bezels. I've also heard that it's only available with the 4-speed automatic, a disappointment.

The 5 is a vehicle that my wife and I are seriously considering when the lease on our 2003 Protege is up next spring. We have a little one on the way and would like to increase practicality without sacrificing "fun-to-drive".
  • castg1castg1 Posts: 34
    I need a mounting thingy in the right rear window where I can mount a wide-angle mirror (blind spot eliminator). This will help big time when backing up from the garage. Looking back to my right while backing up, the feeling is like that of being in a box. There is no peripheral vision available to see on-coming car from the left. The mirror will minimize frequent head turning.
  • castg1castg1 Posts: 34
    The Front Grill.. I think the design is faulty. The mazda5 with its configuration uses the fins of the Aircon radiator to screen out flying insects. I need to see a screen filter at the back of the grill that can be removed for cleaning off trapped flying insects.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,695
    Is the 5 perfect as is? :)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• I was convinced this was to be our new family car until my husband tried to sit in one at the dealership.

He's 6'4" (all legs) and he couldn't get in to the driver's seat with it pushed all the way back. His knees would hit the dash under the steering wheel. There was no way that he could get comfortable in that space. The funny thing is that he has no problems fitting into a standard compact car like Mazda3 or a Corolla. This either needs a longer track for the seats, or some kind of redesign of the dash around the driver.

It looks like we'll have to get a real minivan... :-(
    I know it's a Mazda discussion :P but have you looked into the Versa? I have "issues" with leg room in most vehicles (including the Mazda5), but the Versa has more leg room, front and back, than my Altima.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• shell6shell6 Posts: 1
    I think they need to bring the 7th seat to North America!! We saw the 7th seat version in Europe, and thought it was great. Got really excited until we checked them out here and found the 7th seat missing!! We're a family of 5 with 3 smaller kids (4,6,7) and want a small car (hatchback!!)with the flexibility of the third row. But if our third child is always in back, the carrying flexibility is gone for us!! (And our slobbery dog.) A regular minivan is just too big for us to park and drive. We just spent a year in Europe driving hatchbacks and that has totally changed our perspective on cars!
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I doubt if you could fit three car seats across in the Mazda5 even if it had the optional 7th seat. It's the same width as the Mazda3, so you can try it there and see. It's pretty tough finding a car to put in three carseats across in the second row, and one that's not too big. The Mazda MPV isn't that much bigger than the Mazda5 and has more space. It's only 8" longer and 3" wider, so it's still about a foot shorter than the full size minivans. You'll still have to put one of the kids in the 3rd row, but you'll get more interior space than the Mazda5.