Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• New member, same problem: As far as I know, no one has successfully fixed the problem, because there is no fix. The trucks were designed and/or produced that way. I took my case as far as arbitration and my claim was denied. I have since traded my truck to a Nissan dealer for a Frontier (and I love it).
  • My 2 wd Prerunner has about 20k miles on it and I am experiencing this this "drive line wrap" problem where at a stoplight while the brake is applied the vehicle clunks and jerks a little. This only happens while it is stopped. The transmission seems fine otherwise. My truck is still under warranty. Has anybody had success in solving this problem?
  • My 09 double cab TRD does the same exact thing, a delay in the acceleration when starting out from a stop. Along with the tranny problems everyone else has described.
  • Update on my 09 double cab Tacoma. I have 13,500 miles on it and the transmission is still acting the same! This after two different mechanics told me it would learn my driving habits (one said after 1,000 miles and the other said after 5,000 miles). I have also noticed that there now seems to be more shaking at certain speeds, almost like a tire is not balanced. But then at other times, at the same speeds, there is no shaking. It seems to be correlated to when I am pressing on the accelerator. The downshifting when slowing down is still very annoying. The lurch after a stop is still very annoying.

I still have a window control panel that vibrates on the passenger side door and a very annoying buzzing sound coming from underneath the glove compartment. I tried adhesive on the control panel and it is still vibrating. CHEAP PLASTIC. I still feel like I got ROBBED by Toyota. I have told numerous people about the issues, and have emailed numerous people. Many have thanked me for alerting them to this junk of a truck. Again, should have bought another Nissan.

I am thinking I might picket outside of the dealerships here in Tampa. It may be one way to get Toyota to pay attention and do something about this crappy transmission.
  • Seems like my truck isn't alone. It's a 2009 DC 4x4TRD that I bought with 5 miles on it. Definetely hesitates from a stop, the engine reving up to 2000rpm and slowly accelerating before it kicks in and goes. So, yeah, def a concern, especially on those left turns. So far I have about 900 miles on it, about 50/50 city/highway.

For some of those that ask about driving habits, I'm not really a lead-foot. I gradually start and usually am not too heavy on brakes either. I drove an ambulance for 10 years, so I got used to making the ride as smooth as possible for patients (granted, not all that smooth to begin with). In fact, the tranny seems to work better if I just slam it down instead of being smooth.

Given the number of complaints I'll be filing with NHTSA as well, just to add to their stats. I don't expect a quick fix, if any, but after a few folks get T-boned maybe it'll come out.

As for a class-action, good luck. These complaints seem too disorganized. if anything, does anyone have ties with the media or some sort of public representative could speak up, show them the numerous online discussions, and have that person do "investigative reporting" to bring some real publicity to the issue? Seems that media investigation causes action, as does state rep's, senators, etc. Plus, with the NHTSA complaints, there's going to be some sort of federal documentation as well.

Frustratingly, I looked at the Dakota and Frontier first. Neither qualified at the time for the Cash 4 Clunkers. Hopefully that extra cash savings doesn't get lost in the next few years on repairs.
  • I have owned my X Runner for about two months. Love most of the truck. From day one I have experienced a vibration in the clutch pedal.when shifting the vehicle. Doesnt happen all the time. Usually at higher gears and higher rpms. First visit to the dealer a day after I got it, they said run the vehicle for a 1000 miles to see if it goes away. If not bring it back. Well last week was second visit. Vehicle has 2800 miles on it. Dealer stated they test drove another X Runner with the same issue and basically told me to "live with it" Well thats not going to happen. Anyone with a similar problem? What if any was the outcome?
  • The media will be my next move. I also sent emails to my dealer that sold me the truck and provided a link to this blog asking them to be honest and alert their customers to the issues with the transmission. Of course, no response from them.

Yesterday, I had a sign made that alerts potential customers to the problem I am having with my transmission (very carefully worded of course). I have secured it to my tail gate and provide my phone number. As I drive a lot, this will be good exposure and sure enough, I received my first phone call this morning from a man looking to buy a new Tacoma. After telling him about my issues and telling him to check this website, he called back a few minutes ago to thank me and told me he will definitely not be buying a Toyota.

Why did I do this? Because Toyota is ignoring the issue!!!! So I am going to take it to them as hard as I can. And the media will be next and if that does not work, I will be picketing local dealers. I am dead serious about this as I feel I have been screwed out of $27K. If this transmission goes after my 36k warranty........... I have already complained to three dealers, Southeast Toyota and filed my complaint with the NHTSA.
  • Received an official notice recently from Toyota that said, in part, they were "dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value". so, they were informing me that the load carrying capacity of my Tacoma truck had been reduced by 4lbs. I called the phone number listed and talked with the Toyota Customer Experience Center. I assured the very nice lady that I could care less that my truck could carry 4 lbs less. I told her that I really wanted Toyota to fix the transmission in my Tacoma so that I would not get killed because the transmission slipped when I was turning in front of incoming traffic. She was very nice and said she would pass my concern along. We all need to call Toyota at 1-888-270-9371 and voice our complaints. I love the idea someone else suggested of putting a sticker on our trucks complaining about the transmission. I am seriously thinking of buying an ad in our local paper.
  • I have been following this thread for a long time and I am wondering if all the complaints are for 2009 Tacoma's? I have a 2008 Tacoma that was built in 10/2007 and have had no problems. I made sure I got a Tacoma that was built at the California plant and made sure I did not get one from Mexico. As far as I know I have the same transmission as the new Tacoma's (5 speed electronic) so when Toyota says there is no fix I don't understand because they were good before. If you have a Tacoma that was built between 2005 and 2007 and you have these problems please reply and let us know where it was built.
  • I was really pumped about buying one of these after owning a Dodge Ram a couple years back. I read so many good things about the vehicle and was ready to pull the trigger on an 09' to get a good deal this month with cash back and all. Well after reading about Toyota's inability to address customer safety concerns regarding transmission latency/surging, I'm not gonna do it. Perhaps when they recognize they're going to lose sales they will take care of their existing customers problems.
    I hope this helps those who thought they were getting a decent vehicle and aren't getting satisfaction from Toyota. Good luck guys. Back to searching for a vehicle from a company that doesn't ignore its customers. :lemon:
  • Hello all,

Just traded my 09 double cab 4X4 Sport back in after only 6700 miles and took a loss of approx $7,000 because I felt that after two near accidents with my family in the car it wasn't worth it.

There is a trans problem with these and it is only a matter of time till something BAD happens.

It was a great finical cost that I traded it back in for my family's safety and I just hope that those that are stuck with them stay safe and those that are considering buying one DON'T until the problem is resolved.

I took about 45 minutes and called Toyota at 1-888-270-9371 and explained what happened, provided my info and Vin. You all need to call also, sooner or later someone will listen and especially when you mention SAFETY of your family !!

PS, I am a long term Toyota owner and memebr of Toyota Nation and Edmunds Forums, don't forget to mention the hundreds of post on these sights when you call!!

Have a great day all !
  • I checked with 3 different dealers about trading mine in and got pretty much the same offers 6-7k off what i paid for it two months ago. Did you try selling it as a private party? Does anyone know from a legal standpoint what the liability is on the seller? If Toyota doesn't view it as a problem should I as a private seller?
  • Didn't even think of selling it privately as I didn't have the time. Traded the POS back to Toyota for another FJ. You bring up a good point, now we know there is a problem, what is our exposure for liability ??? We I am not a Lawyer or even want to give advice, but as long as we have done our due diligence with Toyota and they say nothing is wrong, then --who knows.

I would not feel good about pawing the POS off to anyone but Toyota as the ultimate reason I got rid of it was safety.

Again,,bottom line, everyone needs to call Toyota and express concerns of safety. They will give you a reference number of your complaint. I suggest you keep it in a safe place so when the class action law suit goes through, you have proof you registered your complaint. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Found this 2006 post at Tundrasolutions.com. Apparently, the transmissions have been a problem for a while now and yet Toyota has done nothing to address it.

Toyota addresses Tacoma transmission

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Took my 06 TRD Sport DC in on 7-01-06 for the notorious transmission shudder and the ever-present vibration at speeds from 50-70 mph.
    Service mgr. advised that RF & LR wheels were out of balance, causing the vibration. Drove the truck home...vibration still there as before. Back to the drawing board.
    BUT....the service mgr. advised when I got there, that the "shudder" in the transmission was "torque converter lock-up" and that it was "normal" (I was afraid he would say that). But after having the truck on the rack for 2 hours, he returned and said that Toyota had been investigating the shudder and abnormal shift patterns of the Tacomas, and were coming out with a "fix" in the next week or two. I was then asked to come into the service area and school 2 of the techs on the air intake fix that causes a loud vibration when backing up on a cold start, that I had fixed on my truck.
    As I spoke with the older tech, he said that he personally owned an 06 Tacoma with the same problematic transmission, and he had just returned from a school by Toyota, and at present, they are looking at issuing a TSB regarding the transmissions. The planned fix will possibly include installing a new (different?) torque converter, flushing the transmission fluid, and possibly a re-flash to adjust the shift points of the transmission. Toyota will reportedly advise dealers of the procedures by the 14th of July.
    So...for those "naysayers" that choose to criticize folks that claim to have problems with this truck, understand that there ARE some problems inherent to many of the new Tacomas, and Toyota is beginning to acknowledge such.
    Now....will Toyota make things right? Time will tell.
  • Earlier this week I e-mailed customer service at Toyota. I received an automated e-mail saying that I would be contacted as soon as possible concerning my complaint with the transmission on my 2009 Tacoma. The e-mail address is . I suggest we all write. It will be interesting to find out if Toyota really does "care".
  • I just placed a call to the "Turko" files here at KUSI news, in San Diego. This is an investigative segment on the news at KUSI and usually gets good results. I hope he investigates this transmission issue. I asked him to look at the Edumdson.com complaints. Please call 858-571-3453 to leave a message for the "Turko" files. The more complaints left, the better the chance of investigation, and, perhaps, some sort of good result.
  • Ive just read a number of the comments posted and had the same speech given to me this morning about the smart computer. Im call BS first of all you have to drive the car mellow for the first 1K miles then you drive like you drive so how does it know when to switch . Then say two different people are sharing the car like its gonna know whos in the seat what does it do weigh you and give you a retinal scan. Im expecting them to tell me there is nothing wrong when i pick it up but somehow we all need to keep this up and ride them until its fixed or get new trucks. How can a company do this. I have a feeling things are going to get ugly on my end because i have the time to hassle them. This is meant to be the best truck on the road not the best suck on the road.
  • Im ready to put Giant lemons all over my car lets get this ball rolling we can not let this corporation get the best of us. How can they be allowed to keep selling cars.
  • At least you got 100,00 miles out of yours mine only has 1000 and they are trying to say nothing is wrong. Toyota needs to be served on a plastic platter for their antics right now
  • Well Mr. Unhappy Tacoma Owner. If I may inject a little humor. You tell em! I like your description. You're absolutely right about everyone continuing to complain. I'd sure like to see this fixed. Might I also say that I got a letter from the salesman whom I bought the truck from at the dealer the other day. 6 month check up don't you know. Well, I pleaded with them to forewarn future customers as to the transmission problem. What a shock it was to them. They claimed no knowledge of the problem. Yea, right! I told them that I hope they sleep well at night knowing and obviously lying about the problem. Obviously, nothing has changed over the decades. I feel bad that I wasn't able to recognize it in them. With the decades of experience I've had I'm disgusted that they got by me. Regardless, if we get enough people doing this, Toyota's reputation will suffer markedly. To bad, as we probably won't benefit from it. One more thing. I've talked to people from my state and California and Hawaii and Alaska whom I've seen and asked whether they have the problem as well. I haven't run into one yet that doesn't have the problem. I know there are some out there who don't but I haven't talked to one personally yet who doesn't. Good luck.