Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma Transmission Problems

Comments

• gjlaxgjlax Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2009 Tacoma V6 and I am experiencing the same problem with my automatic transmission slipping. When I turn the corner at about 20 mph I hit the accelerator and the engine revs to about 3200 rpm and I feel no power or acceleration. I took it to the dealership and the mechanic said that the system will improve as it learns my driving habits. I will continue to drive and see what happens but I am not happy with this situation!
  • I took my truck to Toyota and they checked my transmission during a "cold start" and they said the electronics tested ok. I posted a message at http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124719
    and this is one response I received:

"As for the slipping you mention... I doubt it. The transmission in this truck is controlled by the computer. It doesn't have vacuum modulators or governors like the old school stuff you are used to. What happens is that you tell the computer what you want, and it tries to figure out the best way to do it. It does this by keeping a record of what you have done in the past, and what turned out to be the best response to your input.

The computer in this truck controls throttle opening, fuel delivery, spark advance, cam timing, gear position, and just about every thing else that makes the truck go.

If you are not smooth and predictable with your input to the computer, you can confuse it. it's trying to keep up with your requests, but it has to change it's response because you changed your input.

Try being smooth with the gas pedal (It's not a gas pedal, it's only hooked to the computer) and let the computer learn your habits. it will get better about responding to your driving style quickly.

Yes, the truck downshifts when you are slowing down, and yes you can feel it. Sorry your nissan didn't do that, but the old school nissan tranny's faults don't mean the Toyota has a problem. After a while you and the truck will get used to each other and things will be fine.

That "Fly by wire" system in your Tacoma is an amazing thing. When you get the hang of operating it, you will love it."

I am saving every documented instance of this to a folder, in case I need to show proof to Toyota some day that other are having the same problem.
  • terryl1terryl1 Posts: 1
    Had a similar problem, with 3rd gear, with my '95 Tacoma at 135K. Have the shop check the shift lever bushings. Was less than $150 to fix.

TL
  • zerrzerr Posts: 10
    Same experience here. My 2005 taco has only 43k miles and I have the exact clunk from the tranny when releasing the break. I've never rev pass 2500 rpm during my ownership of this truck. Hope this thing last.
  • Tacomshane- That response sounds like something straight from the company. Like a service manager trying to shoo you away.

I have the same issue with my transmission. 2009 Tacoma Prerunner V6 auto with about 20 miles. After turning a corner and accelerating, the transmission seems to have shifted into to low a gear making the engine rev and then an immediate hard shift. I don't call it slipping, though. It also sounds like a problem that hasn't been reported enough for Toyota to acknowledge it.
  • gjlaxgjlax Posts: 3
    After 3000 miles on my 2009 Tacoma, I am still experiencing and feeling the engine rev when accelerating from a slow speed. I am ready to file a second complaint with my dealership and Toyota because I feel that this is a safety hazard when trying to accelerate out of a tight situation. I feel like I am losing power. There has to be something wrong with the device which controls the automatic transmission! I do not believe that the system will learn like the mechanic stated.
  • followup: I took my 09 Tacoma V6 to the dealer today and was told basically the same thing as other reports. That's normal. It will learn your driving habits. You will adjust. They acknowledge that it happens but not that it's a problem/issue. They reset the "shift logic" portion of the computer and told me to drive it for at least 15 minutes. That didn't help so I went back and test drove a truck from their lot. It did the same thing. They said they would "open a ticket with Toyota." The did tell me that the Camry had the same thing hapen when they changed trans. and they corrected it by changing the computer code. I think that's exactly what is needed here but they said it wouldn't happens until there are enough complaints. According to them there have not been any or only a few depending on which person I talked to. I will now go to step 2 and report the problem to Toyota.
  • twelchtwelch Posts: 1
    I thought I had a transmission problem with my 2009 Tacoma Double Cab 2x4. I would come to a red light and when I hit the brakes the rear tires would start spinning and the engine would start reving up. I took it to the dealer twice and was told the computer showed no problems. I filed a complaint with the U. S. Corporate Office in Torrance, CA. They sent a tech rep from a regional office, who took me on a test drive. He explained the problem to me. I was stepping on the brake pedal and the gas pedal at the same time. I have driven many vehicles in the last 39 years. Everyone of them had the gas pedal recessed form the brake pedal. The Tacoma has both pedals on the same level, which makes it very easy to step on both at the same time. In my opinion this is a serious design flaw and safety issue. I would appreciate any feedback.
  • dbysdbys Posts: 6
    I don't think i'm stepping on both of the pedels though. i think he's wrong.... for me anyway...
  • Update. Took my truck to Toyota in Brandon and the mechanic told me the same thing as the Lakeland mechanic. It is computer operated and needs to learn my driving habits. Camry's are the same. Told me the computer will get confused if I am the only driver for some time and then my wife drives. Told me it will take at least 5,000 miles for the computer to learn my driving habits and for transmission to adjust. I have over 2200 miles now and tranny still seems weird. Still having what I call slippage when slowing down and then accelerating onto another street. Brandon mechanic told me that the computer driven tranny slows the truck down under 30 mph as that is part of the braking system. When you take your foot off of the gas, the computer prepares to brake and thus the tranny prepares for a stop. I am going to give it 5,000 miles and if I am still having the same issues, I will make a formal written complaint. I was told that since I have been driving a 10 year old truck, it takes time to get used to these new computer operated vehicles. Well I tell you Toyota, I don't like it!
  • 09taco09taco Posts: 33
    I have a 09 Double Cab TRD 4x4, that makes a clunking noise backing around the driveway or at low speeds, this truck only has less than 600miles on it, never off road. I can feel the trans down shift at low speeds, which I don't like!
    My truck is doing pretty much the same thing, Let me know what the next step is going to be, I would love to know. I love this truck, but hate the way the trans shifts. Don't like it at all! Everything now is computer run, If there's a flaw in the computer, it needs fixed, by toyota under warranty or recall issue.
    Toyota needs to back up there cars/trucks. or they might end up like GM,FORD & DODGE.
    I'm going to talk with toyota when my scheduled service is due, and let them know what I think of this.
    I'm going to read up on the lemon law, :
  • Don't wait. Report your problem as soon as it happens. Complain to your dealer and to Toyota HQ.
    I'm going to make some calls and see what they say, yes you're right I need to call them asap, and not wait. I just didn't want to waste my time on something they can't do anything about. I'll keep everyone posted on how I make out with my truck. I'm only at 600 miles or so.
    I can't believe this. What was wrong with the old school set up. When they change things, I think they mess it up. There was nothing wrong with the old throttle cables that went out to a throttle body with a return spring. When you wanted gas you got it. I also do believe when this computer part fails and needs replaced, the owner will need to sell or trade the truck in because it'll be very costly to repair. I do love the way the truck looks and drives other than all that everyone else mentioned.
  • Jeez...I thought it was my imagination. Just bought 09 Doulble Cab V6 4x4. Ive got 1200 miles on it. Auto trans is strange, as everyone has said. I will contact dealer.
  • casteebcasteeb Posts: 13
    I have the same problem with my new 2009 double cab TRD 4x4, when you slow down to go through an intersection and begin to make the turn the automatic transmission jumps down into 1st gear and races the engine, maddening...
    Toyota sent me to the dealer I got it from 45 mins drive to Georgia. They tested it and stated, "normal for the model" on my ticket. They reset the "learn code" and told me off the record that other Toyota cars had this problem in the past - Toyota fixed it with a new software/firmware release, but we just don't have a software fix for the 09 Tacoma".
    I sent another email to Toyota last week but they are not responding to it.
    I should have stayed with Nissan - not one single problem in 24K miles with the Nisan.
    Very disappointed ...
    Ben
  • jodyg69jodyg69 Posts: 4
    Unbelievable!...just bought a 09 Tacoma TRD 4x4 double cab two weeks ago and am having the exact same problem..slowing down into a turn(usually right hand turn for some reason) and upon accelerating out of the turn, engine revs with truck not wanting to go...almost same sensation of being low on tranny fluid...barely over 1,000 miles on odometer...this model has been out since when? 2005? Are they using new trannys? Can't believe this issue wasn't addressed a long time ago...what sucks is i traded in a 08 Ridgeline for it which i never had any problems with, and had a trunk!!
  • Another good resource to file a complaint or read other's is the National Highway Transportation Safety web site...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
    No, you're right. Its not your imagination, I'm going to test drive another 09 truck the exact same truck as mine just to compare and make sure its a common problem, with other 09 trucks. Then call or write to Toyota HQ.
    Today on my way home my trans took a long time before it went into over-drive,. it stayed in a lower gear. not sure what happened there. it never did that before. I'm now around the 700 mile mark, My truck works just like everyone else 's

Try this, Put your truck into Neutral at idle, hold the brake, release brake. then put into drive and then give it gas, mine will have a delay before it moves forward then excells fast. I don't think this is right??

This could be a safety issue for these vehicles?