Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Mitsubishi Outlander Owners Give us your report

Comments

• rcpaxrcpax Posts: 581
    I agree they are very effective, but it doesn't have to be imported to be effective. You can get similar products locally at 1/10 of the price of imports, even less. Unless of course the "outlander" name on the mudflap matters a lot to you.
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
  • janscijansci Posts: 5
    We dont have road salt here, but I did notice some mud sprays going up the rear door flares. this was in spite of having dealer-installed mud flaps (which were also too short and narrow). I ordered a set of running boards and that somehow eliminated the splashes.

• busta4busta4 Posts: 35
    The running boards look great. How much were they with installation?
  • piastpiast Posts: 269
    I got mine (flaps) at local automotive parts store. I'm glad I installed them early enough, after first few spots. And unfortunately, you can get them even without the snow, driving through road construction areas. Gravel roads can be bad as well. Few days ago I removed those spots myself. First washed and examined rear panels very closely. If you see any tiny spots, use touch-up pen (I got mine from the dealer for $9 and change). After 30-40 min, I buffed those areas with scratch removing paste, followed by regular wax. Chips are completely gone. Tomorrow I'm scheduled with UMBRA TINTING shop to put bigger patches of clear 3M foil over those areas (estimate over the phone $30). This time I'm going to leave my mud guards extensions on all the time. I can post pictures of the set up if anybody would be interested.
  • busta4busta4 Posts: 35
    what about the running boards how much were those?
    I don't have running boards, just longer than OEM mud flaps and that should be enough. I'm adding extra 3M film just in case.
  • janscijansci Posts: 5
    they ran just over $200, but I ordered a new set of mudguards from the US....US$96 :cry:
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    Where did you get the running boards from?
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    What kind of scratch removing paste did you use. I was thinking to order this product as I heard good things about it (see link below), but if I can get something from a local store it would be even better.
    Langka
  • mcollismcollis Posts: 25
    Here's a link to the running boards that I added:

http://www.autoanything.com/nerf-bars/61A3740A0A0.aspx

The bars on mine are stainless, and they look great. Very heavy-duty. Just hoping that they eliminate the sand-blasting issue next winter.
    I'm using GS27 scratch remover ( from local automotive store) for years now. If you let it dry out on surface, it may live film or spots. Regular wax will clean it easily. I think I paid @ $10 for 5.3OZ. tube.

• 20vcq20vcq Posts: 82
    What are the chances of you posting or sending a photo of the installation on your Outlander?
  • @Mcollis, did you install the running boards by yourself? If so, was it any difficult? How is the fitment of running boards?
    Had the dealer do it...paid about $90 for that. Worth it. They are HEAVY.
  • costello1costello1 Posts: 60
    How do they work?? Do they keep all mud off the sides?? Lokk good!!
    They seem to be helping. The REAL test will be in the winter. Back doors have been repainted due to last winter's "sand blasting" issue. Hoping that these do the trick!
  • bubbawillybubbawilly Posts: 9
    The poor paint quality problem with the Outlander cannot be solved by mud flaps. They may reduce the sandblasting on the rear fender flares, but what about the front flares, hood, roof, doors and virutally every other painted metal surface?

I have what I consider to be severe chipping on my '07 Outlander after just 5 months. I have been driving in Colorado for over 30 years, and I've owned virtually all of the major domestic and imported brands. None of them looked as bad after as many as 9 years as the Mits looks after 5 months. There really isn't even a comparison.

I don't know how many of you are Consumer Reports contributors like me, but if you haven't completed your annual survey yet, be sure not to pull any punches about the abysmal quality of the Outlander's paint. Word of this has to get out into the mainstream. This vehicle simply isn't suitable for for its intended purpose.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Posts: 194
    Post some photos of this so-called "severe" paint chipping.