Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon: MPG - Real World Numbers

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
What kind of mileage are you getting on your Aerio wagon? Report your results here.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• My awd 03' sx with 2500 miles gets about 22/24 mpg at 3000 rpm doing 70 mph, and about 22 in the city. I live somewhat near the foothills of the appalachian mountains, so highways aren't exactly flat. I think it might get a little better though: the engine seems to be "breaking in" and getting a little "better" (maybe I'm nuts). Bye the way, what kind of engine rpms does a 5 speed get at 70 mph,.. anyone? I'd like to see my tach at 2 or 2.5 rather than 3 at 70 mph.
     Maybee economics will influence your car purchase decision. Consider this, i couldn't get Toyota to match or beat the monthly payments offered by Suzuki. Suzuki is offering rebates around $2500. Strike while the iron is hot.
  • I recently purchased an 05 SX. We have drove it 1600 miles and have been disappointed in the gas mileage we have gotten. There has been a fair amount of variabilty up and down until our last 3 fillups which have been 23, 23 and 26mpg for the most recent. We don't vary our driving pattern much and drive mostly at speedlimits of 45 to 55 with few stop lights or stop signs. What has been the experience of others in terms of gas mileage? This is the main reason we got a new car was to get better gas mileage.

Send replies to peace@copper.net
  • your mileage should improve after 5000 miles or so.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I wouldn't expect much better mileage, though it will improve a little as you get past 5k. My former 03 SX got 27mpg in the city and a max of 30 on the highway, but that was with the smaller 2.0 liter engine and 5 speed manual. The new 2.3 is thirstier. Your mileage figures sound about right, especially if you have an automatic.
  • I have a 2003 SX fastback with 135,000 Kms (75,000 Miles) on it. Gas millage has been OK but not great.
    Lately its been fantastic!!!! The car uses very little gas sitting at the dealer waiting for major parts to be replaced.
  • jomay1jomay1 Posts: 5
    I own a 2003 Aerio SX AWD w/30,000 miles on it. I bought it with 23K on it. I had read a few reviews and also saw the EPA mileage rating and they all said you should get somewhere between 25-34mpg, thats one of the reasons I bought it. However, I get no where near that! I know AWD and the automatic trans may keep it lower than 30mpg, but I am getting 22.5mpg, consistanty. I dont accelerate hard, and most of my driving is highway. I decided to talk to Suzuki and they said bring it in (its still under warranty). They have never heard of anyone getting such low gas mileage. Anyone out there having similar problem?
    I own a 2003 Aerio SX AWD. I bought it used with 23K, now it has 30K. One of the reasons I bought it was that I needed AWD (live on small mtn.) but wanted good gas mileage, hence I opted out of getting SUV. I have been very disappointed with the gas mileage on this car. I only get 22.5 !! I check it regularly and its pretty consistant. I dont accelerate hard and most of my driving is highway. I finally asked Suzuki and they said bring it in (still under warranty). They have never heard of anyone getting that low MPG's. All the reviews and the EPA said it would get between 25-34mpg. It is an automatic and AWD, but still. Anyone else getting low gas mileage with their SX AWD? Please let me know.
    I, too, get very low gas mileage. I own a 2003 SX AWD. I read several reviews and saw that the EPA gives it 25-34mpg. I thought because of the automatic and the AWD that I would get the lower side of those stats, but I'm only getting 22.5mpg and I also drive mostly highway! I am very disappointed with this because I drive a lot and just sold my truck because I wanted better gas mileage. Now I have to go to Suzuki and see if they will check it out under warranty and see if there is a reason for such low gas mileage. Is yours AWD?
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    I have a 2002 Aerio SX FWD 5sp and it gets between 28 and 32mpg. I'm sure your AWD and automatic would be less but 22 does seem low.
  • merksmerks Posts: 2
    My '03 Aerios SX AWD has been averaging around 26 mpg, but I am not entirely sure I calculated it right. My gas warning light comes around with three bars left on the digital screen. When I fill my tank, even with just one bar left on the gas tank, it is about 11 gallons. The tank is supposed to be 13 gallons, so I have no idea what is going on. I can usually drive close to 300 miles on 11 gallons though.

My questions are :
    1) Anyone else have a high pitched squeak from their rear brake drums? It happens at low speeds, such as pulling up to an ATM. Dealer says it is normal.
    2) Has anyone purchased the mountain bike roof rack? What is your feedback about this?

Thanks so much for your help! I just joined this forum today, and am loving it.
    :)
  • aeriofan95aeriofan95 Posts: 1
    I am also getting between 22-23 MPG on a brand-new SX AWD '05 and I don't push the engine hard. That's 22-23 with a few highway trips on the odometer! I am a bit disappointed in this-- luckily it's the only disappointment so far. According to aeriostyle.com posts, mileage should improve by 5000 miles. If not, they suggest having Suzuki look at it. Keep us updated!
    That is good to know. Thanks for feedback. I was wondering about the 5 sp. I wish they would put a 5sp on the AWD version!
    when you say "average", what kind of driving do you do? See, I live in mountainous area, yet I also live near several highways. Its unique. I do have to drive up about a 2.5 mile hill every day. I wonder if just driving up that hill would cause such a fluctuation or do you think driving at speeds of about 73 on the highway would ruin my mpg's?
  • I have a 2004 Aerio with automatic and 2 wheel drive. I get the same lousy mileage. I can't get more than 23 MPG on the average. I like the car, but it does seem strange for its size. :mad:
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    Didn't they switch to the 2.3L engine during the 2004 model year? Maybe you just can't keep those 155 horses in check!
  • Hey, I got the same problem with my 2005 Suzuki Aerio AWD. I brought it two weeks ago and it had only 36 miles on it. I have been driving for 1300 miles for the past 2 weeks, going out on a road trip. The car has really horrible gas mileage. I would say, 15-17 miles per gallon in city and 18-22 mpg in highway. I am getting the car in the dealership. I want to know if you got the problem fixed. ANybody else have this problem too?
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    I've heard they have a fairly long breakin period (up to 5000 miles) and then things get better.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    I have a SX, no AWD. With mostly city driving, I get 22-25 mpg. When I take highway trips up to 100-200 miles, I manage to get 30 mpg.
  • 2006 Aerio SX AWD 800 miles. The most I've got is 19.9 usualy 19.1-19.2 MPG I'm 56 years old and I'm not driving it hard. It's been to the dealer 4 times in 3 weeks because the emission light keeps coming on and staying on. :(
  • a friend of mine had her light come on a lot.. then she realized it was almost every time she filled the tank. Turns out the gas cap was not working correctly. It took a few times at the dealer because they said she was not tightening it right! I wonder if lack of pressure in the system could cause poor gas mileage. Also if the O2 sensor is not working it will set the light off and you will bet bad gas mileage. I had this problem on a chevy venture van we had. about once a year the O2 sensor would go out. The CEL would come on and gas mileage, which was already bad would fall out the bottom.