Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DODGE 5.7 HEMI

13»

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    I didn't buy the mag...just read the horsepower and flipped to the specs page. The Mustang was fast...but $54,000?
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    Mod,
    what does that special 5.4 redline at?

i agree that Ford has finally figured out how to put some hp to the ground. I'd be real surprised, though, if the 5.4 revs as high as the 5.7 or the new 5.3. With the long stroke of the 5.4, piston speeds are substantially faster, creating a lot more stress...
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Posts: 314
    I'll take your word for it as I dont have a dictionary in front of me, but shop teachers were always picky about calling an engine a motor.

The LS1 based engines won't change much as they are still considered new and they were designed with tighter emmisions in mind.

I like DOHC engines, lots of power but they dont get the gas mileage of OHV engines.

Example, the Olds Intrigue with the 3.8 OHV V6 engine was rated at 30 mpg highway. When the new 3.5 DOHC V6 came out it was rated 27 mpg highway and it only made 10 more horsepower.

The 3.5 has DOHC and less displacement but doesn't get the mileage of the 3.8 OHV V6.

So I think there will always be a place for OHV engines, especially if CAFE numbers go up.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    That was freaky!!!! Post 65 was deleted, for what reason I don't know. Anyway both the 5.4 Ford and 5.7 Chevy redline at 6500. The Ford does have a 1/2" more stroke creating more piston speed. Ford did use some top shelf components in that motor like Carillo rods and coated pistons. What I thought was impressive was the DOHC 4valve motor made 32 more HP at 300 RPM LESS then the bigger pushrod motor. It also made 40#'s more torque at less RPM. These were rear wheel readings.

Superjim, the only answer I can give you on your gas mileage statement is usually the OHC motor is packaged in a more sporty setup with lower gearing etc. The OHC setup is usually a little more efficient but also tuned to turn higher RPM. My guess on GM is it was more the state of tune and gearing then the actual cam placement that caused the gas mileage figures. IMHO
  • meredithmeredith Posts: 578
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
13»
This discussion has been closed.