Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Gas Mileage

ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
edited August 12 in Toyota
Share your mileage numbers with other Sienna owners.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Comments

• crusher1crusher1 Posts: 9
    I get a consistant 15 Liters / 100 kM
  • penizzlepenizzle Posts: 104
    We get 20 mpg in the city and 26 mpg in the highway with our 99'. We pamper our car!
  • 17.5 in the city and 23 hwy.

AC is always on
  • mkjj123mkjj123 Posts: 18
    05 XLE
    15 around town, got 23 on a recent highway trip. Noticed that the odometer is off by about 5%. Drive 10 miles and the odometer reads 9. It's small, but it adds up.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I get 18MPG in city and 23-26MPG in highway with A/C and DLCC on.
  • I had a new 05 Sienna for one year and my average mileage was 20 mpg. Other than that it was a piece of junk. I got rid of it after one year.
  • Just did a 73 mile highway trip. Averaged 28.8 MPG, including a few slow sections at 45 MPH, as well as 6 stops. Kept vehicle under 60 MPH.
  • 16mpg in city and 22-23 highway. A/C always running.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    2006 Sienna LE OVERALL mileage for 8023 miles is 25.6 MPG (do the math: I had put in 313.473 gallons of gasoline by the time the odometer read 8023 miles). :shades: The A/C was running less than half the time.
    On 2 long round trips the mileage was 29.1 MPG and 27.8 MPG. (Trip computer read 29.8 at the end of first trip and 28.9 MPG at the end of the second). The lowest mileage ever when refilled was 18.5 MPG and the highest was 36.0 MPG. ;)
    BTW, the trip computer reads a little higher than mileage calculated dividing miles by gasoline used. The 02 T&C LX trip computer was more accurate than the Sienna is.
  • I got dead-on 25mpg my first tank. Did drive like a little old lady. Most of the time 1,500 - 2,000 rpm's, and maybe 40% freeway. I'll post again later. That may be a little more real-world. I'm still excited, and couldn't wait to post..... :)
  • cobbocobbo Posts: 34
    Well, FWIW, I must have a heavier foot than most, as I have tracked every tank of fuel I've put in my 2006 Sienna LE (8 seater) over the past year, and over 15,727 miles, I've consumed 839.715 gallons, for an average of only 18.73 mpg. My driving is a combo of city/highway, including typically a 12 mile commute each direction to work each day running 65mph uninterrupted via expressway, and a variety of downtown, stop & go & interstates for the balance...and, for anyone who cares, I averaged $2.52pg along the way.
    -Cobbo
  • loucapriloucapri Posts: 214
    I know the AWD gets less than the FWD but shouldn't be that much.
    We got a disappointed 16mpg in avg.
    I am not sure how my wife drives the van but I will consider "normal" driving with 70% freeway. Don't know why and what to do to improve the mpg. any idea?
    Maybe the run-flat tires?
  • I'm on my second tank, and it doesn't look like I'm going to get 25mpg this time. Looks closer to 20, but haven't refilled yet. Just figure 20 gallons at 20 mpg = 400 miles, so I was looking for 200 miles when it hit half-a-tank. Had to back off the gas to get to 200, so not as good as first tank. Will wait a few weeks and post again. I drive at least 400 miles a week, so should have an idea by then. I do know that my last vehicle got worse mileage in the winter, and we are not that cold here. My previous Toyotas before that, all bought new, had manual trannies, and the mileage was the same all year??
  • I'm getting 18.8 according to the computer in the car, mostly city driving. 14k miles on the vehicle. AC is always on. (it's Texas, y'all)
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    We just took a trip on only our third tankful, mostly highway miles but some stop & go thrown in. Seven passengers (three of them kids). Got 24.1 MPG by actual calculation, I think that's pretty good. The trip computer is showing 21.1 average MPG right now, up from 14 when we first bought the van.

Dave
  • In mostly city drivng here in Northern Virginia I am not even averaging 18 mpg based on the trip computer. I am expecting things to get better once the vehicle breaks in.
  • bmwk75sbmwk75s Posts: 18
    We just picked up a 2006 LE AWD. Filled the tank twice now and was a bit disappointed with the 15 mpg. I asked the dealer about break-in, but he said there really isn't one and to drive it like normal. I'm hoping it gets better. Other than the MPG I love the van.
  • Toyota's Sienna (from at least 2003 and newer) have a chip in the system that 'learns' the driver's habits the first 7K miles on the vehicle. You will see a better idea of what your MPG will be after this first 7K miles. In fact, after the initial chip 'break-in', if you switched to a heavy-footed driver (or Granny-Driver), you would not see a valid 'change' in the MPG until several thousand miles later when the chip again 'learns' the newest driver's habits.
    My 2005 gets about 20.1 - 20.5 (highway and city) figured out every time I get gas. I've got 33K miles. It's a FWD. This is higher than the overhead digital thingie shows. Long trip (went to Seattle from Dallas this past summer)....fully loaded....kids and all that crap...and got between 25-26....thru the mountains, trading off drivers, 80+ MPH and craploads of traffic during some unknown town's 'rush hour'. Great touring car. Not cute...but you can't have cute when you have kids.... Six more years...when the last one's out.....RX8 here i come.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Posts: 167
    I haven't taken a trip, or run a tankful or even half tank, freeway only yet. That is very unusual for me, as I love to cruise the Hiway/Interstate. Am running 50-50, or 60-40, street-hiway. Just under 3,000 miles, getting
    21-22 mpg so far. Quiet and smooth, but am a bit red faced about a few times have had to pull out and back in again to park properly. :blush:
    Overall average at 9,200 miles is now 24.6 MPG...down 1 MPG from 25.6 MPG at first of October. :cry:
    One long round trip was 28.8 MPG and another was 27.8 MPG. Best with 2002 T&C LX was 28.2 MPG for a round trip to and from the same places.
  • Hey hansienna,

I have no idea where you live,but in the north east,and other parts of the country they gasoline providers mix the fuel different from summer to winter.This will drop your mileage some,and also with the denser winter(read cooler) air you will be making more power,and therefore using more fuel.

Chris
    06 Sienna LE(hers)
    78 Mazda RX-7 GS
    74 Mazda RE/PU
  • jimoasejimoase Posts: 4
    We have 12K+. The car's computer says 22.2. Most of our driving has been triping at 70mph+ or city driving the Mesa area. We are really satisfied with the mileage because most of our driving has been in tough conditions for getting good gas mileage.

Our only knock about this vehicle is the driver and passenger arm rests not being adjustable. We are in discussion with Toyota hoping the result will be usable arm rests.

Jim
  • mleonardomleonardo Posts: 45
    I must have a lemon. My 05 AWD limited gets no better than 17.5 according to the van's computer. I have 23,000 miles on it and it sucks gas. I can't understand how other people are getting 23-26 mpg. My van is nowhere near that and I am not holding my breath for better numbers at 23,000 miles.
    Hello All. Just got back from a 1,900 mile trip. Did a fair share of two-lane roads, including a huge amount of 15 mph corners on Hiway 1 from the Redwoods to the North end of the Golden Gate, among others. Why I am posting is because I got what I would consider GREAT mileage!! Low of 20, which was less than half a tank, and a high of 30 mpg, which was more than once! Most common mileage figure was 26-28, with the nod going to the 28. I could go on and on and give details, but just want you to know this is a true story, and not about 55-60 mph no-grade freeway driving..:)
    This is the kind of mileage I was hoping for when I purchased the van, as my other new Toyotas (4) since 2001, all 4 cyl, 2 w/auto 2 w/manual, regularly exceeded the window sticker. I was starting to wonder about the Sienna (22-23 has been the norm), especially with gas being so high. Seattle area is even higher than most. I use Premium, too. $3.50 per gallon up this way today...:(
    Have 10,750 on the Odometer now.
    Congratulations. My 2006 Sienna LE got 29.5 MPG on the last round trip compared to 28.8 MPG on same trip last year. I set the cruise at 66-67 MPH when on the road but obviously must drive 75-80 MPH when on the Los Angeles metropolitan area freeways.
    It now has a 24.2 MPG overall average for 11,600 miles. It got as low as 13.1 MPG in the very cold weather when there was no open road driving. The very best it got was 36.0 MPG at 55 MPH during a round trip test on an almost flat portion of highway.
    I use 85 octane in the Rocky Mountain area (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah), put 91 octane in when I get to lower altitude and then use 87 octane until we get back to the high altitude.
    All of the above mileage is calculator computed. The overhead trip computer reads an average of about 1 % higher than the calculated mileage. :shades:
    Forgot to mention, mine is a 2006 CE. I've had the windows tinted, put on the little Toyota plastic splash/mud guards, both on first day I had it, last Nov. The latest, and probably last, is the chrome exhaust tip. Made me feel 10 years younger! :D
  • horn412horn412 Posts: 9
    I'm right there with you on the lousy gas mileage. I have the 2006 LE and in the beginning had pretty good mileage. Then it started getting worse which correlated with an accelerator/brake sensor issue that Toyota repaired. Mileage improved. Now, all of a sudden my mileage is around 13 MPG!!!! (according to computer) It seemed to be revving while braking, so I took it in. They claim no problem and that the computer is not so accurate. (unrelated--computer is also not giving me the idiot light on low fuel until it says I have about 6 miles left) Weather cooled down and I kept track of mileage "the old fashioned way" and it correlated with computer 17 MPG (all city and I have a heavy foot)and I did not have the revving issue. Now it's warmer and mileage is around 14-15 MPG. That's with some highway driving thrown in. The revving issue has returned as well. Thus why I'm on the boards looking for an answer. :) OH, and I live just north of the Mexican border in Texas, so our fuel does not change with the seasons.
    I can't help. Wish I could. The 17 all-city mpg, with a lead foot, sounds right. Hope you find some ideas. I owned a 2001 Camry CE w/5sp manual tranny. My sister has it now. Runs like new, at 93,000 miles. I had it for 60, 000 then passed ot on. It is using a quart of oil every 1,250 miles or so. No leaks, doesn't blow smoke, runs great....... I checked the boards and couldn't find anything, so your post about wanting an answer kinda hit home. Good luck, 13mpg is downright unfair! :lemon:
  • wsurfwsurf Posts: 15
    My new Sienna's odometer is inaccurate. I started noticing the problem several days after i bought it as i was measuring coming routes that i have taken for years. This was part of my review for checking the gas mileage. I noticed that i had more mileage on the car when i went to the gas pump than from my previous car. Instead of saying the old car was correct and the Sienna is inaccurate, i went to mapquest and google earth to get some local addresses and see the distance in miles. I tried to pick landmarks/addresses that were relatively distant (more than 30 miles) to increase the accuracy - i would do out-and-back trips in the Sienna to make the measurement. It seems that the odometer on my new Sienna is off by 13 to 14 %. Its showing MORE mileage than i have actually travelled - the worse problem to have with an inaccurate odometer.

I do not know if this is a warranty issue but is there anything that i can do or expect Toyota to correct on this minivan??
  • dugguduggu Posts: 6
    I got a 2007 Limited couple of months ago. I have about 2000 miles on it now and I am only getting 14-15 MPG. I live in LA area and it's mixed city driving but I feel 15 MPG is too low even for a city like LA with a lot of highways. I even use 91 octane gas most of the time.

Any suggestions ?
This discussion has been closed.