Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Gas Mileage

Comments

• Hey Adeleon1 - did you ever figure out what was wrong with your AWD? We just bought a 2008 limited AWD and are having the same lousy mileage. 11 mpg city/highway and 14 pure highway. 800 miles on the van now.

When did it open up for you? Thanks.
  • Gmui - any luck with finding out your problem on low mileage? We are having the same problem - 2 weeks old and 11 mpg mostly city driving and 14 mpg pure highway. 800 miles on the van (2008 AWD limited). Ours does not seem to coast either - it is always engaged. Thanks for sharing what happened with your van and what you get now.
  • http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=19383&hl=">link title

To those experiencing poor mpg, it might be worth checking the rear brakes. If they're very hot after a long drive, they might be dragging. This post at siennaclub is from a guy whose rear brakes prematurely wore out at 20,000 miles. He suspects that they were dragging since the van was new, because after being worked on his mileage went up by 5 mpg.
  • skynetskynet Posts: 5
    I have about 750 miles on my sienna and the trip computer shows 16.2mpg. Mine is a XLE FWD. Do you think this is low?. I am reading that it will reach its peak performance after 1000 miles but not sure if I should be getting above 20 by now.. Probably I am driving 20% highway and 80 % city.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That sounds low even for mostly city driving.

How are your driving habits, though? Are you doing jack-rabbit starts, enjoying that 266hp engine a bit too much? ;)

I have found that I can break 30mpg if I try, but you have to keep speeds down and practice other efficient techniques. Basically if you rarely use the brakes you've done well. That's highway, of course.

In the city we never get less than 22mpg, but I'm still trying to be as efficient as I can, coast to a stop, again the less braking you require the less energy you've wasted.

Also check tire pressures - 35psi at least!
  • skynetskynet Posts: 5
    22 mpg in the city sounds really good. I now have about 750miles and I got 19mpg for the last tank of gas. Probably I had about 30 percent highway and rest city. I hope it gets better after the official break in period(1000 miles). How many miles do you have on your vehicle? thanks,
    I'm close to 14,000.

Mine did improve steadily for the first few thousand miles.

Good luck.
  • metmdxmetmdx Posts: 255
    Had my '08 XLE AWD for 13 months now....best hiway # was an interim 23 Mpg while driving and 21 (cruise @ 72, slightly downhill most of the way) overall for the trip....locally the milege is miserable with either my wife or I driving - can't get more than 14, with her driving and 12-13 with me.....don't understand how they get 21-16 rating. I drove van for about the first 4 months and couldn't get better than 16+ (= to city #) in combined suburban/hiway (50/50). I have '08 Subaru Legacy AWD rated 27-20 and on exact same route average 22 (over the city #). Acutally got 32.3 on hiway with cruise set at 72 going slightly uphill...go figure the #'s :(
  • We have 76,000 on our van. I have run two 20,000 tests. Each has averaged 24.x

We live in South Dakota during the summer so do more highway than city driving. We drive the posted speed limit, freeway here is 75, four lanes are 70 and two lanes 65, gravel 55, city 25...30

We live in Arizona during the winter and do mostly city driving at 45, two lane 55...60, freeway 70

As much as possible we avoid ethanol blend gas because we have found a 2...3 mpg decrease in milage over several successive tanks.

Hope this is useful information

Jim
  • Sorry it took me a while to answer you,,,,,,,,,, it hasn't really opened up,,,,,, I already have 23k miles on it and I'm still getting between 14 to 16 mpg's per full tank. I always complain at the dealership every time we bring her in for service but now they just say that those numbers are what they have been getting with the bigger engine on the sienna AWD's,,,,,,, I should have just convinced my wife to get an SUV :(
  • Wow, awesome mileage on the open road. We can't get above 15. Around town, our numbers are like yours -- 12-13 and sometimes 14 if we have been on the freeway a lot. Average mileage is at 13.7 with 7000 miles on our van ('08 limited AWD). The dealer did not care and said mileage varies and you can't rely on the posted numbers which are done on a machine for something like 65 mph highway and 35 city without the starts and stops. DTE still reads 250 for every fill up and it's pretty pathetic. Our catalytic converter is bad, and needs to be replaced, although the dealer said that probably would not affect mileage.
  • Thanks for your reply. At 7000 miles, I'd be happy with 14-16 overall. We are getting 12-14 depending upon driving conditions. 14.5-15 is the most we can get on long drives. SUV next time - might as well have the V8 for what we are getting. I wish it were something like the brakes riding - could not get that lucky. Good luck and know that misery loves company :(
  • Recently my 2002 Sienna reached 80,000 miles, right before that, my engine light and 2 others came on. The problem was the CAT (catalitic converter). Luckily the converter was in the warranty (80,00 miles) and the dealer replaced one of them (near the engine block). I asked how do they know which one would be bad and they said they did not know, but most likely would be the one by the engine, for there are 3 CAT's in this van.

Prior to all above described, I was getting about 22mpg, after that, 17mpg and also with a "pop" noise every-now-and-then on the gas pedal. My mechanic did not have an answer for this problem.
    Did anyone run into something like this?
    Help.
    Thanks for any info
    Jorge
  • I just bought a used 2007 Sienna. (I utilized some of the issues discussed in this forum)

My question is "How do I reset the trip computer?" :blush:

I'm not talking about the one on the dash, I mean the one on the overhead console that calculates avg mpg.

Thanks in advance.
  • dnbqeednbqee Posts: 7
    Hi to reset the overhead computer: While parked, 1. select the avg mpg display. 2. Hold down both outside buttons at the same time until the display goes blank...(about 3seconds) . Trip computer should be reset......let me know if this doesnt work...I am doing this from memory away from my car thanks good luck
  • Just bought a 06 used Sienna, I have had it for a week. I was looking forward to the cumulative MPG meter- which seems to be stuck at 17.7 mpg. This cannot be right, as most of my miles are highway.
    Is the meter broken? Is is 17.7 mpg over the whole life of the van (32 K miles)?
    I reset both odometers (trip A & B) and just refueled. No change.

Is there are reset button or am I missing something...
    You can reset it - first put it in Drive. Then go to the avg mpg readout. Next, hold to two outer-most buttons on the trip computer.

It will flash, then read 0.0.

I do that each time I fill up, basically.
  • BINGO!

It worked- thanks sooooo much.
  • steve115steve115 Posts: 9
    Just picked up my new 2009 LE 7 Passenger FWD Sienna this week. It had 70 miles on it leaving dealer. Drove it to work and back yesterday, about 25 miles each way. Reset the average MPG before I left work. Drive is mostly freeway, ran into some bumper-to-bumper traffic but averaged about 65 mph. At end of trip, the average was 27.1 mpg. I am very pleased. I think the new 3.5L engine paired with the 5 speed transmission works well. At 70 mph, the tack reads 2,000 rpm. I think that's what results in the good mpg. I will post again later once I have done the actual mileage calculation between gas fill-ups.
    I think the new 3.5L engine paired with the 5 speed transmission works well.

Sure does. In the last C&D minivan test it was both quickest and most fuel efficient. Nice to have both.