Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lmp4lmp4 Posts: 188
    New plugs already turned black seems to indicate rich mixture....why?....injectors blocked opened?....false signal from MAF?....I'd unplug the injectors and try starting with starting fluid...pressure can type....
    I.m still not confortable with the idea that "timing was off".....since this indicates the timing belt skipped cogs, this is serious business....again, was the t-belt changed before? And realignment of cams properly done...
    mark1
    mark2
    Is it possible cam journals had seized...?
  • :confuse: Hello everybody...new to this, so I apologize if I do something wrong (and a relatively new car owner, so I don't even know where to start)! There are few things that keep happening to my car, and I'm wondering if they are all related. If so, does anybody know where I should start?

1st: the rear brake lights are on the fritz. Sometimes they all work fine, sometimes the left side will work and not the right and vice versa, and sometimes they won't work at all. I've already replaced the bulbs, but that's not it, they still do the same thing.

2nd: The ESC light comes on at random. And pressing the button will not make it go away.

3rd: The cruise control works at random. Also, it won't work if my headlights are on.

Are all these related to one common system in the car?

Thank you for any ideas, suggestion, help, etc. you can offer.
  • The thermostat may be sticking or malfunctioning :confuse: The Idle air Control valve could also be sticking. Both units are controling the air intake to the cylinders.
    About freak brake lights: ground problems/contacts have been a common issue with the former model...maybe it has been carried on to the new model even if a totally different car..but this kind of "light" problem has happened for decades in all cars anyway. I had same issue with left headlight (2000) a month ago...turned out the ground contact inside the headbeam connector had gone awry....

2 and 3: mmm...ESC...not familiar with the new model....but cruise and traction control and ABS need speed correlation from car speed pickup and wheels sensors....and...if headlights impair cruise, I'd look for contacts/grounds again...
  • Thank you! This gives me at least one place to get started. I'll give it a looking at. Thanks again! :)
  • AutoRepairInfo.org has a CDROM they sell for $15.95 plus shipping and tax. I found them on E-bay. The information is good but the information of equipment location :cry: is very patchy.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    Isn't the Kia Tech Info site still free if you register?
  • gzaldivargzaldivar Posts: 4
    Yes the timing was off, and yes I had just changed the t-belt, and I did reset the timing. since I have done that I have tried starting the engine several times and the engine has not kicked over yet... however the timing marks are still good. hmm cam journals..should I remove the cyl head?
  • gzaldivargzaldivar Posts: 4
    By the way, I tried turning the cams with a socket and a wrench and they won't turn. but if I turn the ignition on , I can see the cams turning, could they be worped or broken? I'll try taking the cyl head off..I'll keep you posted. I have not messed with the heater core yet...as soon as I get the engine started, I will go after the heater core. I got to it last time, I just didn't take it off...I'll try the opening or removing the injectors. Thanks!
  • I'm not sure if this will help, but I just fixed my light issue. The gas caps "O" ring dries out and leaks air. Once it i replaced to reset the light you need to disconnect the negative from the battery and wait for the computer to reset. (20 seconds). After hooking up the battery back up I started the engine to reboot the computer. The Light went out since the vacume leak to the tank was fixed.

I now will have the water pump, timing belt,tension pulley, thermostat and coolant changed since the vehicle has 121,000 miles on it. This way it should be good for another 100,000 miles.
  • joaquin2joaquin2 Posts: 3
    97 Kia sportage. With 150 k, I knew it was gonna happen. Check engine off. will turn over but no start. Towed to start (m/t) will run but not idle. Kicker.. emulsified oil in pan. Does this spell the end or can it simply be a head gasket? Any input before I go in? Thanks
    THis problem is reported from time to time. It depends how it happened: did the engine overheat? Engines that have overheated seem to be prone to cam journals seizing...then it cna mean having to replace the head. IN other cases, a good head gasket job with possibly refacing the head has been a success in several reported cases.
  • joaquin2joaquin2 Posts: 3
    Thanks Imp4 for your response. I'm pulling the head tomorrow and we shall see. Using KGIS site which is a gold mine of info, but experience is invaluable. Thanks again
  • maxstermaxster Posts: 1
    Hi all. My sons sportage fails to start after driving sometimes. It takes quite a bit of cranking over at times to start. Don't want to burn out another starter. What a bi@#h to replace! No codes have come up and the dealer did a thorough diagnostic on it and came up with nothing since it didn't exhibit any of those conditions while at their shop. They did a fuel pressure check and that was fine. Could this be a cam positioning sensor problem? I know on my ford diesel when it acted up, it gave me the same headaches and no codes showed. Took me awhile to figure that one out. Thanks.... :confuse:
  • 2000 sportage. Going down the road it just shuts off. pull over and it will start back up. No problem. Any idea?
  • I am having electrical issues think we found short and fixed it now the air bag light is blinking on air bag under stearing wheel knee bag? i have a 2000 kia sportage. do i need to reset the light some how? have tried battery cables please help becky
    beckymcutchen@yahoo.com
  • after fixing electrical issues air bag light is blinking the bag under stearing wheel for knees i guess. can this be reset if so how have tried battery cable reset. please help becky beckymcutchen@yahoo.com
  • cujoe57cujoe57 Posts: 1
    I'm told the belt needs replaced and it will be over $2000. This seems high to me. How do I do it myself?
  • altaredaltared Posts: 12
    A friend of mine just had a timing belt on her 2002 Sportage go while on an expressway. She doesn't recall having de-clutched when that happened as she was primarily focused on getting to the shoulder. The timing belt was replaced and her vehicle seems to perform fine since then.

But I am concerned there may be engine damage, particularly if this is an interference type engine rather than non-interference type, i.e. possible valve or piston damage. Does any one know if the 2002 Sportage has an interference or non-interference type engine?

As well, is there substantial risk there could have been bearing, cylinder wall, or valve seal damage due to lack of lubrication? Clearly, not having lubrication even for a short time is not a good thing, it is not clear to me that 30 seconds or so of the engine being turned over would require damage to the extent of engine overhaul. Thoughts?
  • I also have a 2000 kia sportage that does the same thing however even at times it won't start its like my alarm system resets and won't allow the car to start or it activates and cuts the car off. does yours do the same thing?