Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alarm intermitint goes off for no apparent reason have checked door switches an all seems to be well occures in high humidity and cold temps neighbours are getting restless thanks jim
  • I have a 2002 Kia Sportage. I have been smelling a fuel smell intermittently. It seems to smell briefly for a few minutes then goes away. It happens fairly often. It also seems to be using more gas than I would expect. I thought it was just running a little rich then I read all of the blogs on the gas tank leaking being a major issue with this model during this period of time. If this is what is going on, do I have recourse with a Kia dealer to have this replaced? I read there is a recall but dealers are very reluctant to honor it. Don't they get reimbursed by Kia if they replace the recalled parts? I haven't pursued this yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pursue?
  • My understanding is if the dealership has already performed the fuel tank campaign inspection on a previous visit, they are not under obligation to replace the fuel tank. (Please note: I do not know if this campaign is still in effect.) If you are the original owner & had the vehicle regularly serviced at the dealership where purchased, even if they unable to replace the tank under the campaign I would speak to however many people as necessary to get a discounted service rate.

We own (2) kia 4x4 sportages, both had this problem: Our first vehicle we purchased from the dealership, we had this service within the warranty period, they were very accomodating in service and price (we paid about $65.00 total for the fuel filter replacement, not covered by the service campaign.)

The second vehicle was a pre-owned third party purchase, the dealership correctly noted the service campaign sticker from a prior service visit w/ the previous owner, no coverage. Having some knowledge of what was involved with doing the repair, I ended up purchasing the parts from KIA (gas tank, new screws for fuel pump mounting), job took about 4 hours, cost was approx $235.00 US total. * In my case the fuel lines on the vehicle were in good condition, or the time / cost of the repair would have been considerably higher. I hope the info helps.
  • check timing belt
  • Where is a fuel pump cut of switch?
  • Hi guys. I am new to the sight. I recently purchased a 2008 Kia Sportage, 4x4, with remote start. I noticed the tpms light coming on for a couple of days, then it would go off and stay off a while.This goes on. I ahd a Alpine Radio installed with bluetooth. The light is doing the same thing. I have been to the dealer 10 x. Now, he wants to take the Kia installed remote start out, and then, if needed, the radio. Can I reset the tpms myself? Thank You
  • Hi, I am new to this forum but need some help and advise Please!!!! I bought my Kia and have some problems, the dealership is helping to fix but at a loss what to fix not to mention they are kids working on it so what they do is half the job. I think my 4x4 is fixed but my engine light came on and has gotten worse. I changed the plugs as it was not getting fire, but my temp gauge drops and my engine light flashes and the car starts to sputter. I now also have to push the heat knob and hold it to get heat ggggrrrr I am so upset, I noticed the h2o senser is cut so will need to replace that any other ideas ;o( thank you
  • After my car warms up the engine starts to bogg down hard for a start from 0-15mph then it smooths out and drives fine. Unless you use "WOT" wide open throttle at greater speeds then 25 then you can feel it a lil. It started when the weather got real cold in the teens and wind chill factor below 0 degrees. The car has 56000 miles on it. Only thing i"ve done is change the air filter. Also noticed it only did it with half gas tank and less...... Any ideas????
  • Hi. I have a 2002 Kia Sportage 2WD. The seal on the shift mechanism going into the transmission case started to leak, so I need to replace the seal. First, do you need to disassemble the transmission or is there another way to get to the seal? Secondly, if I do need to dissassemble the transmission, how do I remove the transmission casing? I've tried everything and can't get into it. Any help would be appreciated. --Wombat63wn
  • My wife has an 02 Sportage. We had terrible fumes coming in the car (gas/exhaust smells). Took it to a shop to find that we had leaking injectors - they were replaced. Had countless issues with the hoses coming off the injectors after the new ones were installed - all have been replaced and are said to be NOT leaking anymore. The smell continued and was more of an exhaust smell after the injectors were all set. We have had multiple parts of the exhaust replaced and there are no more holes that can be found. The smell continues to come into the car through the heat/defog. It is very strong. The smell only happens on very cold days and will go away after the car is very warm. There is no smells coming from the engine that we can locate outside the car. What are we missing??? Any insight from anyone would be appreciated.
  • I have exact same problem same year, same make and model. Let me know what you find out. It is really getting annoying.
  • Wow!!! My 2006 kia sportage is doing the same thing!! I noticed what I thought was the transmission slipping a few weeks ago. My check engine light is on now. I also noticed a rotten egg smell. From what I researched, that is the catalytic converter. It should be covered under the warranty. I just hope the power issues WILL be fixed with the new converter. I'm calling the dealer on Monday.

Let me know what you all find out.

As a side note, I came across something that stated cat. converters are federally warranted for 8/80,000, so even if you aren't the original owner, you might want to research that so you won't have to pay alot for one.

Oh!! And I'm keeping my converter. Apparantly, they have (or older ones do) metals that the price of is going really high right now. I know someone who had about 50 cars sitting on a property and some stole all the converters and something else cannot remember so they could scrap them. :-(
  • I have a 2002 sportage. The check engine light came on, code p0440 evaporative system failure. I also can not put gas in, gushes back out. How do you trouble shoot the system. I have checked the filler tube and hose .please help
  • I also have a 2002 Kia Sportage with the same fumes. It happens intermittently. I haven't had it fixed, but my vehicle seems to be using a lot of gas and I was wondering if I had a leak somewhere. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car otherwise. Let us know if you find anything else out about it.
  • Jim I have the same issue.. Any solutions or suggestions?

Thx

Frank
  • sorry no joy yet but iam still hoping jim
  • my 01 sportage was doing the same thing, I when to a repair shop had my fuel system cleaned and replaced the fuel filter and that solved my issue. That fuel system cleaner and new fuel filter cost me around $125.00-$150.00. But if you have time, shop around, cause in my case, I was in the process of moving and didn't really had time to look around.
  • Could I put a 1995 sportage engine into a 2001 sportage? I can't find any info to see if the engines changed at all between these dates.

I have the chance of a sportage that's in brilliant condition apart from the engine
  • I have replaced coil packs, wires, plugs, O2 sensors, filters (oil, air, and fuel), ckp sensor, and it still misfires RANDOMLY on all 4 cylinders. Code P301, P302, P303, & P304. This only happens after 15 minutes of warmup or approximately 10 miles of freeway driving. Until then, the SUV runs like new. Can anyone help?
  • 2003 sportage misfire had it in the garage but nothing showed up untill they checked the spark plugs. no 3 and 4 cylinder plugs where rusty and wet what would cause this,
  • hi! an acquaintance of mine has a new kia sportage car, there is any way that opening the doors lock manually while turning off the car, can damage the automatic door lock?
  • 2000 Sportage 74000 mile on it, im not the first owner and im sure I wont be the last. I guess im having alot of the same problems that everyone else is having. Lets start with the check engine light always being on, also it had codes show up for all clys. misfireing. Have replaced all plugs, new wires, new coils. No more codes for misfire, lucky I guess. I found out the converter was pluged up, had it replaced and new exhaust system installed. Have codes for IAC valve high and low voltage. P1506, P1507. The engine runs fine after start up, but as your going down the highway say at 60 mph, you let of the gas and it still keeps on going like you never let off of the gas. It stays at 2500 RPM, you stop at a light or something its all you can do to hold it back. Put it in Nutural and the engine will rev up to 2000 to 2500 RPM. So now I have changed the Mass Air Flow Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Throtle Position Sensor. And still to date it runs at 2000+RPM,s. So enough about my little problem, anyone have any ideas? I know I do, JUNK IT. If anyone thinks that they might know what might be wrong give me a hint PLEASE. Thanks for the time to read this. :mad:
  • peter931peter931 Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 Kia Sportage automatic and when I start it rpm is ok but when I shfit it to the drive engine stalls.Could be the neutral safety switch or some sensor?.
  • please help!! I have a 02 Kia Sportage with same problem you are having, it just died as if you turned key off while driving, towed home, it does not have the initial buzz to prime the fuel system, i replaced the fuel pump, and the fuel pump relay, pump still not coming on,what ended up being wrong with yours? HELP!!
  • hellodadhellodad Posts: 3
    Have '00 Kia Sportage EX. (stall out while driving for no reason). I had to replace all relays in the relay box. Do not use the relays Kia sells. Go to Auto Zone or Pep Boys or NAPA. Got mine at NAPA.

Good Luck.
  • peter931peter931 Posts: 13
    Kia Sportage have a security fuel system shut down when you hit the bump .
    Open the hood and on the left front you will see a relay box . Unplug the negativ cable from battery and remove main engine and fuel pump relays and replace them both with the new relays at the same time. Connect your negativ cable back to the battery and engine should start up.
    good luck
  • jmanselljmansell Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    2000 Kia Sportage 180,000 miles
    About a week ago my brakes went out then my clutch started acting up. Is this related or is it another wild goose hunt my Sporty is sending me on?
    Finally fixed the No power up hill problem thanks to you guys and gals on this forum so hoping you have some idea what this might be
    Thanks John
  • 2002ko2002ko Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Sportage My air conditioner works intermittently some times it wont go on at all and sometimes it goes on and then starts the button blinking after it's on for a while and goes off. My passenger side front window only can be closed with passenger side control button and not opened. however you can be opened and closed from the driver side. I think it must be electrical can you suggest a part to order to repair this?
  • joaquin2joaquin2 Posts: 3
    All set for an engine transplant '97 manual tranny. removed bolts per KGIS (6) but site not too explicit as to locations etc. Engine and tranny still seem to be connected somewhere. Any suggestions out there? thanks
  • ging51ging51 Posts: 1
    hey Imp4 I have a 2000 kia sportage and I am changing out my heater core. I read that you have done it before and I was wondering if you could please give me the instructions on how to do it I would greatly appreciate it.