Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bmachbmach Posts: 3
    2001 Sportage 2.0[dohc] can't get [1] vlv & seat to seal{????} we've ground vlv.seats
    & vlv.'s made sure vlv guide is good & vlv sprg. is within Factory spec.s[vlv sprg. is showing to be *aprox '30 Lbs[vlv closed] if install vlv sprg. Shim>under inner & outter>vlv sprg this would bring vlv.sprg. tension CLOSED to '50Lbs , believe that this should HELP???? Don't know what else to do ?

PLEASE , if anybody has any other idea , let us know so can see if maybe will HELP our Problem & if have a diff. idea we're willing to see if possibly could HELP our problem ????
    THANK U
    butch @butch's auto&diesel machine shop
  • I have 00 sportage thought the fuel pump or the relay have replaced both now not getting power to the pump any suggestions
  • peter931peter931 Posts: 13
    First disconnect the battery and then remove and replace both engine and a fuel pump relay reconnect the battery and car should start up.
    Good luck
  • natntaznatntaz Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    Hi just bought kia sportage, v reg and tested it as much as a woman can. I got home (about twenty miles) and the car seemed to make a water gurgle noise. It had apparently had a cam belt change at 47000 miles and it is now on 67000.
    All seemed ok with temp gaige and so on. Any ideas. Just hoping i have bought
    a bad one :-( Meant to say sounded like it was something to do with the water.
    I am worried about the head gasket now as someone said might be this.
  • peter931peter931 Posts: 13
    Check the timing belt and all the pulleys on the engine on belt tensioner
    Alternator, PS pump and AC compressor maybe one of the bearing on the pulley is getting bad . I had a similar problem and bearing on tensioner pulley was bad.
    Good lock
  • natntaznatntaz Posts: 2
    Many thanks will try to get someone to look at it when the man who i bought it off of brings it back. He seems to think it is the thermostat. I am just worried about the head gasket ! but will get someone to look at it for me when it is back. Many thanks. :)
  • evajnycevajnyc Posts: 1
    In June facing a summer with many long car trips to make, I decided to trade up our 94 Nissan Sentra (very dependable but without a working AC) for a 2000 Kia Sportage that I bought for $2500 with 88K probably at least $1000 too much considering the problems we've had with it. On test driving for about half an hour the car ran fine but as soon as I drove it off a week later with our plates it started making a loud grinding noise when accelerating (my husband does not believe that I didn't hear this when I test drove the car!) and also began to overheat after a short time driving when idling and eventually the check engine light went on. We immediately took it to our regular mechanic who had recommended that we buy another Nissan or a Honda but I didn't listen to him as Nissan or Honda SUVs of this age seemed beyond what I wanted to spend at the moment. He plugged in the computer sensor and said it was the catalytic converter that needed replacing. He was also unhappy with the brakes. He charged us about $1100 to replace the catalytic converter, work on the brakes and do an oil change. That solved the grinding noise and check engine light but it was still overheating when idling so we took it back to our mechanic who charged us about $125 to flush out the radiator and put in a new thermostat and then said it wasn't overheating anymore when he took it around the area for a test drive. The next day I had to drive my son from NYC where we live to West Virginia to where my mother lives and and it started overheating again after sitting for 10 minutes in the Holland Tunnel back up. After we got out of the tunnel I stopped the car to cool off and took it easy the rest of the 5 hour trip without any overheating problems. In West Virginia I went to see a local mechanic who we had consulted before with our Nissan and I think is very good with cars and he looked at the car and could tell right off that there was a problem with the fan clutch. Unfortunately I wasn't going to be in town long enough for him to replace it at the moment but I arranged to order the part and he would install it when I came down again in 3 weeks to pick up my son. It did not overheat again on the 5 hour trip back but I noticed that the floor of the car right behind the driver's seat was very hot when driving. When I returned to install the fan clutch that I bought on the internet for $68, free shipping, he looked under the car and told me that the entire exhaust system from the catalytic converter to the tail pipe needed replacement but he didn't have time to do it at the moment and I had to bring my son to a camp in Connecticut the next morning. He didn't think it would be dangerous to drive as it was but advised having the work done as soon as possible. Last weekend I took the car to a muffler shop I had gone to before at the Willets Point "junk yard" in Queens and replaced the muffler and tail pipe for $110 cash while I waited. He also told me that he could have replaced the catalytic converter for $90 which I didn't want to hear. I felt safer driving with the new muffler but I was almost about to cross the bridge back into Manhattan when the check engine light went on. I turned around on the BQE and went back to the muffler shop where the Afghan guy who owns the shop felt certain that it had nothing to do with the new muffler. I then went to our regular mechanic who checked the Kia with his computer and said it was the Mass Air Flow sensor and he called and said it would cost $225 from his supplier. I thought that price was a little high and as I was feeling more skilled about buying car parts for less $$ on the internet I asked him if it would be OK if I tried to see if I could get the part for less money and he said he would install it no charge. I went on Ebay and made an offer for a new MAF sensor for $45 which was accepted while keeping up my search for window regular assemblies to fix the back windows that have never worked. The next day we were driving the car and the check engine light went off at some point but I might as well install the new MAF since I had already bought it. Today my husband called me all bent out of shape because he said that the clutch was making a loud grinding noise when he was moving the car (we park on the street in NYC and there are street cleaning rules). I stopped by to check the car and shifted into first and reverse a few times but did not hear the noise but what can I say - anything seems possible with this car. I don't know - another thing that we need to check is this low humming noise when riding in 5th gear. It seems that the clutch is loose or something but when you hold onto the gear shift it seems to diminish the humming noise. Also the spare tire holder in the back seems to be loose in its hinge or something and always rattles loudly and bangs against the back hatch door when riding on bumpy roads. I have pointed this out to all the mechanics I have been to but none of them have been able to suggest a fix. Sorry to make such a long post with my Kia Sportage saga but it's really getting frustrating - I would like to think that there could be a light at the end of the tunnel and we'll have a car that runs well without forever going to the shop for one thing after the other. On the positive side the car handles well and A/C works well enough. Any suggestions for the various issues that I've mentioned?
  • When I travel more than 50mph and let off the gas, even slightly, the engine seems to rumble until I get back on the gas or maintain a steady speed for about 30 seconds. Strange.... I have looked at the KiaTech site before for other parts and also for that sound and it suggested that it's a balancing bar in the engine but didn't reference how to fix or if you need a new engine completely.

Also, the check engine light comes on at the 1/4 and full marks on the fuel gauge. However, when my fuel is between 3/4 and just above the 1/4 mark, no check engine light. It is extremely difficult to fill the gas tank because it doesn't breath enough and I have to 'power hold' the nozzle just at the right (very slow) intake level or the fuel gushes out and the nozzle shuts off... to everyone there, it looks like I'm trying to overfill my tank.
    I've had the intake pipe checked and there were no clogs or anything that could make a significant flow stop and the air holes just on the outside of the mouth of the pipe are clear, yet tiny.

Any answers on either would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • Where is the resitor located ? Kia dealer says this is why we only have high speed on blower. Have the part..need install advice.
  • A week ago I was driving back home from town when all of a sudden my Sportage just shut down. All the dashboard lights lit up and it just quit running. I was able to drift it off the road, I thought it might have been the fuel pump as it would crank but not fire even when I pumped the gas pedal. My mechanic towed it to his shop they said the fuel pump works but that they were unable to get it to fire. He also said the his assistant mechanic that does wiring had gone over every inch of the wiring and can still not find the problem. He suggested I take it to a Kia dealer to diagnose the problem. I google fix my Kia and found your website. I am hoping you can give me an in site to the problem before I spend alot of money at the Kia garage. Can you please help me. Thank you
  • Try disconect the battery and replace both fuel pump relay and main engine relay. The're both located under the hod in black plastic box. Then reconnect the battery and car should start up.
    Good luck.
  • Take it to another mechanic sound like a timing belt problem.Also check the knock sensor may be defective.
  • My 2001 sportage only overheats when I turn on the A/C. I have read about the fan and if this was the problem then the engine would overheat with or without the A/C on but it does not. Does anyone know what ties the cooling system with the A/C system that would cause this problem???
  • R@R termostat on small temp termostat or just remove it, radiator flush and maybe your fan clutch is bad . Do not drive if is still overheating . Do prechure test on your radiator first.
    Good luck
  • Car runs rough a low idle. Have had plugs replaced, 02 sensor, trottle positioner, trottle controller,replaced. Ran good for 2 weeks then started it again. Does not stall, just runs rough when idling, in gear or in park. Car sat for one day an then took it back the the mechanic and it ran fine. Check engine light does not come on. Original codes were misfires. Also had #2 coil replaced. Any suggestions? Love my car have had it for 8 years with no major problems. Gets good gas mileage and has great power.
  • marmasmarmas Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    '01 Sportage with 175,000 miles. Been having start problems. Engine will crank but not fire up. Unless I let it sit for a while and wait to hear a click, it then starts just fine. Also, today at a stop light the rpms went down to 1k and was about to stall out. I quickly placed it on neutral and gassed it up and was okay. Any ideas? Thanks
  • ATTENTION :lemon: KIA OWNERS WHEN YOU LOSE POWER OR HAVE MISFIRE CODES BEFORE YOU SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON THE FIX DO A COMPRESSION. CHECK IT SHOULD BE A MIMINUM OF 124 PSI, THEN CHECK THE TIMING BELT FOR SLIPAGE AND THE TIMING MARKS. THE BELTS SHOULD BE REPLACED AROUND 60,000 MILES, DO THIS BEFORE REPLACING ELECTRICAL PARTS OR REPLACING THE CONVERTERS WHICH IS VERY EXPENSIVE. WHEN YOU REPLACE A TIMING BELT SOMETIMES THERE IS A PROBLEM TIMING THE ENGINE IT TAKES A LOT OF PATIENCES AND TINKERING YOU MAY HAVE TO MOVE THE EXAUST AND INTAKE GEARS A COG OR TWO AWAY FROM THE TIMING MARKS AND SOMETIMES IT TAKES HOURS TO TIME THE ENGINE IT SEEMS THEY WOULD HAVE A MORE PRECISE WAY OF TIMING. MOST OF THE TIME POWER LOSS IS IN THE TIMING WHICH CONTROLS VALVES, AFTER THIS IS COMPLETED THEN HAVE IT CHECKED ON A COMPUTER
  • I've looked all over the Kia tech website for info on scheduled maintenance procedures so that I can do it how Kia recommends, but I just can't find anything. Can anyone help?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,966
    Try the Edmunds Maintenance Guide. It'll tell you what Kia recommends and will also estimate what it should cost in your zip code.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Has anyone bought a 2011 sportage .
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    That question would best be posted in the 2011 Kia Sportage discussion. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST TIME IT RAINED THE NEXT DAY IT STARTED RIGHT UP I TIE THE WIREING HRNESS UP CAUSE I COULD MOVE THEM AND NOTICE A DIFFERENT THE IDLE THIS HELPED OUT ALOT BUT NOW WE HAD 2 DAYS OF RAIN DROVE THE CAR TO WORK OK WHEN IT WAS TIME TO COME HOME IT WILL NOT START NEED ANY ADVICE
  • Do you have any other information, diagrams, instructions for this type of fix? I have an odor (like burnt gas) when the vehicle is first started which the mechanic can't find.

Thanks,
    Woody
  • After running for 30 minutes the a/c no longer cools. I turn it off for 10 mins and it works for another 20 to 30 mins then quits cooling again. Is something freezing up?
    Is this a condensation/drainage problem? Can it be fixed?
  • Have a problem with 2002 sportage. when driving and release gas peddle and step on clutch engine revs up instead of idleing down. Have found that if a/c or defrost is tuned off dont experience problem. Any ideas?
  • Hi I just towed my kia 1000 miles on a tow dolly in neutral...when the went to move it again the did not put the kia in neutral...so now the hold light flashes and it will not shift into reverse or out of 1st gear...please advise?
  • jim298jim298 Posts: 9
    sounds like low reverse band is broken think youll have to take it to a tranny shop. itll be spendy good luck jim
  • cloukclouk Posts: 1
    My 2008 Kia Sportage reverse lights wont shut off unless engine is off. Couldnt find anything in KIA forum. Online articles say there is a switch to check. Is this something I can do myself, if so how or do I need to take it to a mechanic. Any help is very welcomed.
  • Wow. I had the same problem with my 2001 sportage. I wish I would have known this before I spent over $1500 get things fixed and then the problem still remained.
  • remove steering colum cover, locate key switch on side of ignition switch wires were red and black, Ct and join together eliminating the switch. this should cancel the alarm, the only drawback is the chime will always sound when you open the doors.