Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• i have nearly the same exact problem. it used to just happen like you said although now it sometimes wont even up shift into those upper gears. i find myself at 4k rpm just trying to go 60 on the highway. if u fond anything out let me know.
    i absolutely hate this car!
  • I have just pick up a 1997 sportage can you tell me what web site you found the repiar manual on please :)
  • The web site is www.kiatechinfo.com
    Registration is free.
  • I finally found out that there wasn't a thermostat in it! This caused the temp of the car to cool very fast when i was driving, so somehow this made it downshift into third when it went below a certain temp. I put a new thermostat in and now it runs like new. I can't believe I spent so much time and money trying to fix the transmission when it was a 7 dollar part.
  • I'm trying to help a friend fix his car. It idles rough and the CEL was on. The codes stored were PO171, PO300, PO303, PO304. I cleared the codes and hooked my code scanner. The code PO304 came back fairly soon. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet but plan on it Thur. if not raining. The thing that concerns me is that the short term fuel trim was a positive 25% at idle and might go down to positive 14 at higher rpm's. It never went to zero or a negative number like it should. The long term fuel trim was at zero all the time. The O2 sensor was going up and down some.

Does this sound like a fuel pressure problem or possibly a bad vacumm leak? :confuse:
  • I have a 2000 kia sportage with a exhaust manifold and am looking for a used one. Anybody have one or know where to look?
  • I had the same problem. There is a pre-catylitic converter, and a catylitic converter on this Kia. I was told to disconnect the pre-cat from the manifold to see if it is melted inside if so very good chance that you will have to replace both, but try the pre-cat first. I've seen them on ebay for a little less than $200 new.
  • I would check Ebay. I get all my parts from there. Just read descriptions very carefully. Double check.
  • I have a 2002 kia sportage. I has been running rough so, I changed the plugs, wires and the fuel filter. While I was working on it I noticed a vacuume line missing from the intake manifold. Their is two vacuum lines one above the other one. The top one goes to an air canster. I covered up the port with missing hose with a piece of tape and the car ran fine. Where does the other one go to?
  • lmp4lmp4 Posts: 188
    mine looks like this
  • I have a 2000 Sportage 4x4. It is stalling out on me. There is no rhyme or reason to the stalling. Just simply dies while driving, with in the first 3-5 minutes on the road. Takes a few times to get the car to start after it dies.
    I have replaced the following:
    O2 Sensor
    Fuel Filter
    Plugs-Wires
    Boots(they are part of the plugs/wires i guess?)
    Battery
    Altenator
    I dont know what else to do? it wont show on diagnostics what the problem is?

Any Suggestions ???
    Thanks! :sick: :cry:
  • lmp4lmp4 Posts: 188
    In several cases with same issue ...and other makes as well....this has proven to be the crank position sensor. Sensitive to heat with time. Left side of bell housing, somewhat arkward to get to.
  • The tail lights and running lights have gone out there is no power in there circuit the fuse is good all other lights work including headlights when turned on bulbs are all good is there something i am missing any ideas
  • If it runs fine after the belt broke, the damage is most likely minimal. the Kia has an interference engine. lubrication would or should not be a problem for as short as the engine would be running when the belt fails. the best way to figure out damage internally w/o an overhaul is an oil analyis.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Could it be a switch?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • anyone know why my 4wheel drive would be out when i am just using it for the first time this winter? it used to work last winter. the lite is showing on the dash. could there be a wire or hose loose?
  • my 2001 sportage doors unlock by themselves, i will be driving down the road and they will come unlocked also. I am the only owner so i know its not haunted!
  • Can anybody please explain How the Vaccum can lock the hubs on the Kia 2001 sportage what is causing it............how it works
    thanks
  • las5las5 Posts: 2
    I also have a 2000 kia i changed the crankcase sensor and the sensor on the motor spent 550 dollars to get it fixed but still dies out after 5min does anyone know what this might be check engin light does not come on
  • I have 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 automatic.........I had the same problem for months I thought and afraid some will brake on the transfer case or transmission!! But I found the problem: I feel bad you took the hubs out ; to buy Manual ones they are not very Chip If you still have the parts I would put them back on .
    I found out by Researching the problem that :when I was driving the car on the 2 wheel drive I had the same lurch or feeling like I was going over a bump;
    What is happening is that the front wheels are turning with the hubs locked because there is no vacuum shot off from the vacuum solenoid which is located next to the vacuum tank.So I did took the Vacuum solenoid out and cleaned out with some wd40 spray and did air blow out.What happen was The Vacuum for the front 4x4 hubs was on at all the time ;with cleaning the vacuum solenoid started working properly and when I shift to 2 wheels the front wheels are free from been locked in...............so clean the vacuum solenoid and make sure there is no vacuum going through when you shift to 2w drive you can check it by taking the small hose off and On from the solenoid.