Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• andy91andy91 Posts: 6
    Update. I dropped the kia off at a shop at lunch time and they called me back and said it was the ECM computer... Kia has a 80k mile or 8 year coverage on the ecm.. Missed by the years by 6 months.. My luck.. Thanks for your help...
  • lmp4lmp4 Posts: 188
    ..come back to tell of the outcome....
  • andy91andy91 Posts: 6
    I have a question? Where is the ecm located? I found one box under the dash next to the steering column named Unit-Cont ECAT wt005728 / 954404Z110 (Silver metal small box.. Found another one under the radio mounted to a bracket named ECU-ETWIS - OK07E67720 (Small black plastic box).. Found one under the floor mat on passager side named Control Unit, EGI K07A Cal,Fed 1268301783 (Large silver metal box, This last ne seems to be the one. It has the largest amount of wires then the other ones.
  • jmanselljmansell Posts: 5
    I took the exhaust off first when we started having problems. When we rev it up we can't get it over 3000 rpms if we do it pops a code multiple missfires and miss 1,3,4 should i check the injectors??? that might be part of it but it runs fine in 1st thru 3rd, maybe the trannys bad to any Ideas????
    When we rev it up we can't get it over 3000 rpms if we do it pops a code multiple missfires and miss 1,3,4
    ...that lets me think it acts as from the rev limiter....most cars would not let run the engine at high RPM when in neutral or park and it cuts the ignition or injection to a number of cylinders...but all returns to normal if engine is loaded in any of the drive ranges...but then the transmission encoder must tell the computer that it is NOT in neutral....and that directs the attention again to the plugs and witing connected to the transmission...but this is just speculation at this point though.
    HOwever, I would find the 3000 rpm "limit" somewhat low, even in neutral, for that engine that revs easily over 5500 rpm. It is OK with my GM 3.8 that barely revs 4500 rpm before suffocation (but compared to SPorty, this one HAS tremendous low end torque...)....anyway, I'll see if I cand find more about that issue....
  • amkcwamkcw Posts: 3
    My 99 sportage started idleing rough, eng light came on. I finally got it over to get the codes checked. It was p0301(cyl 1 misfire) Here is what is stumping me, it runs fine when its cold after it warms up it starts to misfire. If I let it cool back down it starts normal. Anyone have any ideas? It is driving me crazy!!!!
    ..first step is to go for that (and other) spark plug(s)...and specially the wire from the rear coil pack. THis is a very common issue. Did you change spark plugs before?..somewhat annoying because of what you need to remove...but not that difficult. Check for oil contamination in plug #4....in which case you would also have to remove the cam cover and change gasket....also a common issue.
  • Its time for the first oil change. What oil 5w-30 and filter do you guys recommend :confuse:
  • jst4himjst4him Posts: 3
    Hi everyone! I'm new and I have three questions and will post them separately.

First, the reserve tank on my radiator empties very quickly and when it's empty it causes smoke to come out from under the hood. I really don't know what is causing it to empty so quickly which causes it to over heat. I'm heading to Florida Thursday and need to resolve it quickly and cheaply!

Thanks for any help!
    This question pertains to when we ran the AC on the way to Florida in December the passenger floor board was saturated with water.

I need to know what can cause this and possibly how to inexpensively fix it!

Thank you!
    Ok my last question for now and this one is really for two reasons.

I need to know how to remove the interior door panels (I have a two door) for two reasons.

1) I need to replace the speakers that are in the door
    2) The passenger side won't open from the inside and needs the handle repaired

thanks for any help....much appreciated!
    2 questions, one reply:
    Overheating: this looks very much like a blown head gasket....a rather frequent issue; you can open radiator cap, fill to top, run engine an d look for bubbles...bubbles are an almost certain sign of blown gasket. More sophisticated tset is to go for a CO2 test from radiator cap.......specialty shops have that. YOu can also have a compression test , a little awkward because of all the stuff you must remove to get to the spark plugs, but not that difficult.
    Water on floor is due to clogged A/C evaporator drain tube. Water condenses on evap and this is normal, but normally it drains outside. I think one can find the exit fro underneath and apply vacuum to pull the dirt...or use compressed air...this would throw the dirt inside the ducts....but maybe better than water on the floor.
  • hab526hab526 Posts: 2
    Where is it and what is it?? Because it just cost me a $100.00 at the dealer.
  • hab526hab526 Posts: 2
    :confuse: how do I get to the answer that you left
    JUst click THIS (in previous post). It should open the link....
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    It helps if you can summarize the issue since links die and sometimes don't work for people.
    Location of drain hose (thanks to contributors listed in above link) protrudes low from firewall, right side, located on the plastic housing near the bottom in the engine compartment:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
  • hth04hth04 Posts: 1
    Oh my, well I need help because my car has stopped working again. I read some of the other discussions and they pertain to my vehicle. The dealership never knows what wrong. Right now it revs when in neutral (that is how i use to get through stop lights and signs) but when i put it in drive it just dies. Do you have any suggestions on what might be wrong? We have already had alot of work done on it about 4 months ago.(replaced computer, gas tank, and others I can't remember)