Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Test Drives

tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
edited March 11 in Hyundai
Test driven a Santa Fe? What were your impressions? Report them here!

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Coming soon to InsideLine Road Tests! Post your comments here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    Why doesn't Scott tell us how he really feels about Hyundai?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    Keep hitting "Next" at the bottom of the story to get to Scott's Second Opinion comments. Ouch. :sick:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• arumagearumage Posts: 922
    Sounds like Scott may have had an '85 Excel and never got over it. :) That really wasn't an objective review by him at all. Scott also forgets to mention that the price of the Santa Fe is a few "clicks" lower (about $5000) than the Toyota and Honda competitors. :( Oh well. To each his or her own.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    If you just want to jump straight to the Second Opinion page, here's the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=116262/pageId=10- 0448

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• danf1danf1 Posts: 935
    That's what I was refferring too.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    "As much as I like the way this SUV looks, both inside and out, its depth of engineering and level of refinement remain a few clicks behind the big boys."

Please, pray tell, Mr. Oldham, what vehicles do you mean by "the big boys"?

If you're referring to the CR-V and the RAV4, you've lost all credibility with me. The level of refinement in the 2007 Santa Fe clearly exceeds those vehicles. Not even close.

It's fine not to like the Santa Fe, but come on, the interiors of the RAV4 and CR-V just aren't that great.
  • arumagearumage Posts: 922
    I wouldn't even compare it to the CR-V or the RAV4. It is bigger than them both. It's more the size of the Highlander, and while it is barely smaller than the Pilot, it is more fuel efficient and much better looking.
  • jpanozzo1jpanozzo1 Posts: 50
    There is an old story about a princess being unable to sleep on a pile of several mattresses because there was a pea hidden under the bottom mattress. Mr. Oldham & her would make a perfect match. He needs to reserve his road tests to the over $40,000 rigs to keep his hands and butt in cushy, well supported, and pampered comfort. We wouldn't want to see a blister down there would we?:P

Joe in Texarkana
  • he must have compared santa fe to fx45's, rx330's, new audi suv, and etc. LOL

he lost all the credibility with those ignorant remarks.
  • briancambriancam Posts: 21
    Having a second opinion that doesn't just kiss up to everyone else is the whole point.

Having that kind of honesty should increase our credibility not diminish it. What good would it do if every review we published had two second opinions that essentially said "I completely agree." THAT would be lame.
  • "But let's get real, people. There still isn't a Hyundai around that's as well built or as rewarding to drive as the Toyota, the Honda or the Mazda it competes with. Not the Elantra, not the Sonata and not this Santa Fe."

elantra is an old car, so it doesnt count.

sonata is a great value at 18k which is leaps and bounds better than the previous version. so he must like mazda 6 better than sonata, but many of us don't think so. sure camry and accord is better, are they 5-6 grand better? no. sonata is legit competitor. and i've never heard any recalls for sonata yet. he must skipped reading about toyota's bad qualities lately.

and santa fe? santa fe is "as well built or as rewarding to drive" then any competitors out there. i'm sure he didn't test drive it. if he did, he wouldn't say such an ignorant remarks. sure santa fe might not be your next SUV, but it is one of the strongest competitor out there. saying it's not "as well built or as rewarding to drive" then honda toyota is saying i'm a 'hyundai hater'.

last time i checked the new santa fe owns crv, rav4, give the run for the money against pilot, and many people think it's better than the highlander.

what more does he want?

i really wish that he go back in time just 10 years ago, and how hyundai was like back then. we all should be praising hyundai.
  • "Having a second opinion that doesn't just kiss up to everyone else is the whole point.

Having that kind of honesty should increase our credibility not diminish it. What good would it do if every review we published had two second opinions that essentially said "I completely agree." THAT would be lame."

nothing wrong with having a second opinion. but it's wrong to belittle a car company like hyundai. all they did was make nice cars after nice cars, with good values and long warranties.

you don't have to like it, you don't have to buy it, but don't say things like it's not better than honyota. because all he is saying is "i'm a hater"

santa fe may not be better than honda or toyota, but it's an equal competitor. it's apples to apples. 4 year old should know that.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    It's totally fine to have second opinions that don't agree or are negative about the vehicle.

But all he does is make blanket statements like "It's not as refined as the big boys" and "No Hyundai is as good as a Honda or Toyota or Mazda." It would be nice to know exactly what vehicles he is comparing the Santa Fe to, and it what regards the Santa Fe doesn't measure up.
    Hyundai is better now, no question. I'd even consider owning an Azera if it weren't for the awful seating position but Honda, Toyota, Nissan and even Mazda have all made steady improvements as well.

I believe there aren't any Hyundais as well built or rewarding to drive as competing Hondas and Toyotas. HOWEVER, Hyundai offers a better value and in some cases better looking vehicles.

Camrys and Accords or Highlander for that matter may not be $5,000 better but they are better.

It's great that the new Santa Fe is better than the previous version but that line of reasoning is going to start wearing out very soon as many buyers will not recall the Excel :lemon: and simply expect the Sonata or Santa Fe to be as good as or better than the competition no matter what the price or warranty.
    We should have mentioned in the article that the Santa Fe will be built in the US - Alabama. It's the second Hyundai to built in America.
  • choe13choe13 Posts: 348
    Not the sonata or Azera, but is definitely the "one"

This cuv destroys its competition literallly

I saw one today, and honestly i feel bad for toyota and the rav 4. Absolute no match but more expensive. This cuv will also cause problems for higher end suvs. It is quite as competent and looks better than all of them.(audi Q7 exterior seems dated comapred)

I think also the santa fe will also re fan the flame for the sonata, azera, accent sales and make people respect the new upcoming hyundais.

The redsox making the greatest comeback ever? i think Hyundai in the auto industry is second to that.
  • you must never seen the new santa fe in person. it destroys highlander.
  • dbrosdbros Posts: 70
    I think Brian Moody did a very good review on this car, If you look at the review he is actually on the neutral side. You can't really get away from comparing competing vehicles if you are making a review and that's what he did! He praised the interior and exterior of the car and even tried to put down the interior quality of honda CRV and Toyota RAV 4! and I quote:

"Now the Santa Fe's interior has vehicles like the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V looking somewhat low-buck by comparison"

Even with this developments that Hyundai did for this car you cannot give this car a 10 because it has not proven itself yet... It remains to be seen after 10 years!! :P Put it this way if somebody's gonna give you an engine for free but you have to choose between the two a Honda 3.5L V-6 VTEC engine and Hyundai 3.3L V-6 Lambda engine what are you gonna choose?! :confuse: A lot of people right now will go with Honda!! that's a no brainer!! :cry: :P

If you are in the market for this kind of SUV I would rather prefer a Honda Pilot 2WD or AWD because of proven track record in reliability and quality and the actual prices in the market is a lot more cheaper than this car right now!! (Check prices and buying experiences forum)OR if you really like this vehicle wait until next year when the hype goes down.
    Yes, in its styling but not road manners.
This discussion has been closed.