Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Questions

Comments

• jblovejblove Posts: 3
    Can anybody tell me the factory HP and torque for this engine? This would be a California delivered truck with a 4 speed auto tranny.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    235 hp, 460 lb-ft. :)

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks! I know that there was a HO version but I did not think that was a California option.
  • Careful with the fuel conditioner! I used to be a faithful believer and user of it! Then I was told by our mechanic that it will remove the polish from your crank/cam? And wreck your engine. Has anyone else heard anything like this?
  • They claim the higher temp is to burn off and clean the exhaust deposits. The big rigs have even higher temps to achieve this.
    I am seriously considering buying a truck with the Cummins (likely non HO) and a 4 speed auto. It is a 2004 SLT quad SB 4X4 with 39k miles. In very good shape and can be had for about 22k. Any thoughts on this vehicle combo or year. Seems to get great reviews and I know that the non HO engine can be tuned with aftermarket gear to boost HP and torque. The new ones have the new larger engine and the have some great deals right now... Any help or thoughts would be appreciated as I am new to the Diesel world - with the exception of the 79 MBZ 240 D that I regret ever selling - even after 230K miles...now that car was build like a tank but was a bit of a gutless wonder on hills...
  • ghudsghuds Posts: 8
    My son has a 99 Dodge 2500, Cummins - The power steering pump was making noise so he checked the fluid and it was low. It seemed to be leaking from the top of the steering gear (gasket on the top plate?). He re filled it and it ran better but last night when he got home the wheels would not turn at all (no hydraulic pressure). Also, the brakes didn't feel right. He has the hydroboost system powered by the power steering pump as well. I am assuming that the steering pump is bad which would also affect the brakes. Am I correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • My son bought a new Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. He is in college and only drives short distances. His truck will not run properly. He has called the service department and they just blow him off. It has to do with the emissions control or something. If he drives on the highway about 45 minutes at a higher rate of speed it temporarily fixes the problem. The service department said that only driving short distances will cause thousands of damage to his vehicle and that if he adds a chip "something like that" his warranty would be void. HELP!! He drove the same 1998 pickup for 7 years, finally got a new one and now this!!!!!!!
  • bchaney1, first what is the truck doing EXACTLY. Second, don't add any perf. parts(chips etc.) until you find the problem. Third, how many miles are on the truck. Fourth, if i can't lead you to the problem when you reply or the problem is catastrophic (expensive/has to be done at a shop) they better fix it or take the truck back. If they don't you MUST take them to court and have them pay the court and attorneys fees as part of the suit. Make sure you bring a micro cassette recorder with you when you talk to the service dept. I't probably would be a small claims issue anyway. Let me know. Carnut17
    Thanks for the reply. The power steering pump was whining - mainly when cold. A few days later the power steering was gone and the brakes didn't feel right. My son has a friend who is a Dodge diesel mechanic and he said the pumps on these trucks are not that great, especially because they run the brake booster as well. He also has a hydraulic winch on the truck powered by the pump. The truck has about 150000 miles on it and is running a stage 2 programmer. Hope this helps.
    Thanks!
  • Hi I have an 03 dodge ram 2500 diesel. I was told it has a fuel line heater from the factory. I dont know if this is true or not. If it is where is it located and what all does it keep warm. I am running biodiesel and this would be very good for me if it is true.
    Thanks
    Lonnie
    Well I replaced the power steering pump and everything is working perfect. The dealer wanted over $300.00 for a new pump - I picked up a reman unit with a lifetime warranty at Checker Auto Parts for $70.00. The job took about 4 hours total(R&R) mainly because you have to take off a bunch of other stuff to get to the pump assembly. If anyone needs any tips on doing this job let me know, I think I can help. :)
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    What you have is a small heating element at the fuel filter... its job is to melt small gel particles, but it's not going to do much for a fully gelled fuel line. Best to keep anti-gel additive handy in the winter - that's what I do with my 2005 Ram 3500.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• oldtecholdtech Posts: 29
    I BOUGHT A NEW 2007 RAM 2500 6.7 DIESEL AND HAVE HAD CHRONIC CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS. LIGHT HAS BEEN ON 7 TIMES IN 6000 MILES. THE RECALL HAS BEEN DONE. SEVERAL SENSORS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND IS NOW IN THE SHOP FOR TURBO CHARGER REPLACEMENT. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IF SO HAS YOUR DEALER BEEN ABLE TO CORRECT IT WITH ANY LONG TERM SUCCESS ?
    I ALSO HAVE THE SAME TRUCK. AT 6000 MILES I GET ABOUT 19 MPG ON THE HIGHWAY AND ABOUT 16 COMBINED. I'M HAVING CHRONIC CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS THOUGH AND MY DEALER NOR DODGE CAN SEEM TO COME UP WITH A LONG TERM SOLUTION. THE CK ENGINE LIGHT HAS COME 7 TIMES IN 6000 MILES. TRUCK HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR THE LAST 8 DAYS FOR TURBO CHARGER REPLACEMENT. I JUST REQUESTED DODGE BUY MY TRUCK BACK SO I CAN GO BACK TO A GAS ENGINE. I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK WITH YOUR NEW TRUCK THAN I HAVE.
    OLDTECH
    I have a 99 2500 4x4 Cummins with the 5 speed manual. It was replaced about 5 months ago with a reman unit by the previous owner. The unit had a warranty - unfortunately the guy I bought the truck from didn't tell me it was non-transferrable. Anyway, the problem is when you shift into 5th gear it makes a clicking noise (roughly at engine rpm) you can hear it and feel it in the stick. Only in 5th gear though - all other gears are fine. Any help would be great!
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A DAMAGED TOOTH ON THE 5TH GEAR SPROCKET
    Thanks for the info - I thought it might be the case but someone told me that there is a nut on the end of the shaft that carries the gears that will sometimes back itself off. If it does, it will not completely go into 5th gear - it just needs to be tightened back up. ?????
    THATS A GOOD POSSIBILTY BUT THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE IS PULL THE UNIT AND DISASSEMBLE FOR INSPECTION