Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Gasoline Engine Questions

KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
Discuss the Magnum V6/V8/V10, the Hemi, and all the other engines that run on unleaded (and if it's old enough, leaded).

kcram - Pickups Host

Comments

• this truck was a theft recovery, the ignition has been put back in. Now the truck won't start, it turns over, but no spark to the coil. It was hit lightly in the front, looks like they hit a stop sign. busted the radiator in a small place. What is causing the truck not to get fire and start? Please Help me?????????
  • I own a 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 that has a problem that no one can fix.

I have taken me RAM truck to 2 dealers and after spending hundreds of dollars the problem still exists. Oh, you want to no the problem.? How about on cold starts the truck will backfire through the intake manual until it warms up. Ok, lets see the dealers replaced the purge valve, O2 sensor, fual pump, and FPCM. The truck only does it once in the morning and does not product error codes. The dealers are stumped. Any idea who may know what the problem is or has anyone experienced this problem before?
  • i have a 98 dodge ram 1500 with 5.2l engine. it revs up about 200 rpms when you let a little pressure off the excelerator and when you hit a dip in road. does it more in cooler weather.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    What engine does this RAM have?

Dusty
    If you reduce the throttle pressure enough at higher road speeds and then apply just slightly more pressure the transmission will come out of torque converter lock. This is normal.

As far as the dips, you might be realizing some accelerator pedal oscillation due to the abrupt movement of your body, meaning your foot is applying more pressure on the pedal as the vehicle body jostles your body. I get that sometimes myself.

Regards,
    Dusty
    Sometimes when the ignition lock has been popped they might have shorted a circuit wire and blown a fuse. Also check the fuel shutdown relay.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • In the cooler months my 96 dodge ram will stop right after i crank it? I took it to the dealer and they said it was a map sensor, I replaced it and it still does the same thing? Any ideas?
  • mrbillmrbill Posts: 31
    I have seen references here to shadetree tune-ups for the hemi - such as the 16 plugs and needing limber arms. Has anyone done their own work and can reply with comments on best plugs (OEM or other) and issues getting to the hardest to reach.. I have the typical home garage tools and skills, so in other words, is it worth the time/effort to do it myself or pay the $216 I was quoted from the dealer.

2004 Quad Cab Laramie, Sport, Hemi, LSD, Towing. 50,100 miles now and getting 22+/1 highway and 17+/- city.

Thanks for any imput.
    ahasher
  • 2003, no complaints till recently. Truck won't start in the rain, on a dry day no problem. Run into rain no problem. Should I get it running it runs rough for a while, then ok.
    Help pleze
  • i have a 1995 dodge ram truck 1500 v8 when cold starts up good but after it warms up and take down the road you give it gas it bogs down then picks up then bogs down. can't find the fuel filter could it be the fuel pump i no it is fuel but don't no were to start can someone help me please thank you
  • budfbudf Posts: 1
    hi, i have a 2001 ram 1500,i have loved the ram sence 93. this is the first time i have ever owned one and i love it. my check engine lite came on and i found out that the code means "a leak has been dedected in the evaporative system" i know a little bit about working on cars,but i have no idea what that means or what i can do about it. if anyone could help me please let me know. thank you.
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    "small leak detected in the evaporative system"
    Several things can cause this...most common being either a bad fuel cap or not tightening it properly after refueling. I would make sure that the fuel cap is properly tightened and then if the light doesn't go off after a few miles I would inspect the vacumn lines between the tank and the purge canister. If they are all ok then get a new gas cap.
  • nws683nws683 Posts: 10
    ya i know my ram would run rough when the snow would melt on the road and get into the engine compartment run a good set of spark plug wires and new plugs or if your not sure of the problem take a spray bottle and spray the plug wires with water (while running) and turn the lights of and if you see the spark jummping from wire to wire time to replace them!
    hey if your looking for the fuel filter it should be on the passenger side right behind the door/doors its about the size of a small coffee can
    hey dodge owners im looking for fuel maps for my 1998 dodge ram 1500 extended cab pickup if you got any ideas of were i can find them send me a message
  • My son bought a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 and 3 months later while driving it started losing power, then stalled and wouldn't start. Mechanic has replaced the plugs, sensors, almost everything under the hood with no help. Now he replaced the timing chain($300) and still no go. It will start and run about 5 seconds and that is it. Fuel pump putting out 42, but when cranking, blowing gas everywhere. I can't afford this guessing game any longer!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • i changed my oil 7 days ago in my 2004 Hemi. it had the standard motor oil in it and i changed it over to Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10W-30 and have noticed how much smoother it runs. however just tonight the "check gages" light came on as my oil pressure dropped so i checked it when i got home and it is extremely low!!!! the oil filter, drain plug, reservoir cap, and dipstick show no evidence of leakage. is it burning that much oil or what is the issue? what kind of expense/problem am i looking at?
    is your truck throwing a trouble code (check engine) and is it timed right cause if you move your distributor clock wise and counter clockwise you can advance your timing and retard it i would check that and check the specs on the fuel pump and check the fuel filter
  • The mechanic says he has it in time, fuel pump is good, and no engine codes. I don't think he checked the filter because he says you have to drop the tank to get to it. I will tell him to try that though. And he said he was gonna check the catalytic converter and the exhaust for possible plugging. Thanks for the info!!!!
    ya if it is in time you can still advance your spark but that mostly will give more power depending on vehicle and just to make sure take a spray bottle and and pray the wires and distributor with water and turn off the lights and turn over the vehicle and you could be getting a short some were in the circuit cause you can see the spark jumping all over if somthing is bad or cracked
  • I would refill it and keep a close eye on it. Synthetic oil will sometimes cause a seal or two to leak upon the initial changeover and then it should stop.
    i would check the specs you most likely can run synthetic but some you cant and what the sounds like is the oil pump is failing i would have some one check that
  • My 1995 Dodge conversion van (318ci) is running cool (below 1/3 on the temp. gage) and the heater blows luke-warm air at best. Just had the thermostat replaced and tried blocking off most of the radiator with cardboard, with no results. The fan clutch "seems" to be working properly. Any other suggestions out there before I have to take it to the local mechanic?
    that sounds like you heater core is plugged up and what dose you coolant look like ??
  • I guess kind of orangish, and NO I didn't put orange coolant in it, so I guess maybe that could be part of the problem. Seems as though it was changed not all that long ago though.
    ok just wondering or even stop leak for coolant leaks that can clog the core but organish color check the coolant and smell it and rub it then compair it to good 50/50 mix by any chance what yr is it?