Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Transmission Problems

yaris46yaris46 Posts: 24
Anyone change the gear oil on their 1.5 liter? I had a hell of a time doing it and wonder if any Toyota Mechanics are out there. DO YOU FILL THE TRANNY TILL IT COMES OUT THE FILL PLUG? I HAVE HEARD YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO LEAVE A FEW MM BELOW THE PLUG OR YOU CAN BLOW SEALS.
Anyone QUALIFIED have an answer?

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    are you changing the gear oil already?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• yaris46yaris46 Posts: 24
    The gear oil from the factory is dino. Synthetic oils are far superior in terms of shifting AND longevity of components. My car has 2000 miles and I have Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter on it PLUS I changed the gear oil to REDLINE MT90 which is a vastly superior lubricant compared to whats in the car when it comes from the factory.
    well, to answer your question a bit, yes, the manual transmission oil is supposed to be pretty much up to the hole. You should be able to put your finger in and feel the oil level just below your finger. This is a general answer based on my past experience with many other cars where I have changed the gear oil, NOT specifically related to the '07 Yaris. So if you want to be sure, read the manual. :-)

• lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    So would you go ahead replace the factory lubricant like Yaris 46? If not, when would you replace it? I get the feeling that you are holding back your knowledge from the rest of us.
    I contacted several service techs, As I had thought, the level is FAR FROM CRITICAL. You can have a little more or a little less, its not THAT IMPORTANT. What IS important IMHO is the QUALITY OF LUBRICANTS used in your car. Thats why I ALWAYS put REDLINE MT90 in all my manual transmissions after break-in period. As for engine oil I PREFER REDLINE but its 9 bucks a quart, so I use Mobil 1 AND a Mobil 1 filter. FRAM IS PROBABLY THE WORST OIL FILTER MADE so if you decide to go synthetic make certain your using a top quality oil filter.
    Nah, I wouldn't bother. I have seen Toyota manual transmissions go out to 200K miles with dino oil changed once halfway through, without a problem.

Now as for synthetic vs dino ENGINE oil, well that's the age-old debate on these boards isn't it? I don't bother myself, but I won't say the folks who do it don't gain some benefit from it. It probably provides better lubrication at cold start-up, although Toyota engines seem to be able to go the stretch (200K) without it, so why go to the extra expense? Just change your dino oil every 5000 miles and save some money.

Its not just longevity, For example my Roadster is a 2006 MX-5. The 6 speed was a bit tough to handle for me since I am disabled and have only partial use of my right hand. BEFORE installing REDLINE MT90 I had to reach over with my left hand to shift to 5th and 6th gear. AFTER MT90 the tranny is sSO MUCH EASIER that I no longer need to reach over. NOW THINK, IF A LUBRICANT CAN MAKE SHIFTING EASIER THEN THINK WHAT IT CAN DO FOR KEEPING A HEALTHY HAPPY TRANNY!!
    Yeah, I hear you, but my original point stands, as personal opinion ONLY: if the tranny is going to be happy and healthy to 200K anyway, I can't be bothered to change from the manufacturer's spec.

Your absolutely correct. That train of thought also applies to using cheap dino oil and low budget Fram oil filters. They will do the job and as long as you change your oil every 3K you should be OK. As for MY ENGINES I prefer to know I have TOP QUALITY FILTERS AND LUBRICANTS in my engine. Your approach is certainly more cost-effective. My approach wastes money BUT probably adds significantly to drivetrain longevity AND gives me peace of mind. I haven't used a FRAM filter and Dino oil in 10 years!
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    You are the type of person I would like to buy my used cars from. After 5 years or so, I would think that you would have a hard time getting a dealer to give you any more for your trade-in than nippononly would get for his car, assuming all other aspects of the cars are equal.
    After 5 years I will have over 200K on my car. I am not an AVERAGE driver. If you plan on trading in your car and have no enthusiasm whatsever for your vehicle I suggest Wal Mart oil and filters all the way! BTW: Wal Mart oil filters are VERY GOOD QUALITY. I have no plans on trading my car, I will drive it to the ground.
  • Hey, I have a question related to the auto tranny. I just picked up my new LB last week. Does anyone have any input on the long term effects of using engine braking by downshifting the auto trans? Is that hard on an engine or tranny? Thanks.
  • QUESTION: Whats cheaper, BRAKE PADS or A TRANSMISSION?
    I think that answers your question. Why would you subject an expensive component that is not designed for braking to such abuse? Thats what brakes are for! IMHO: Next time buy a manual but sincev your stuck with a slushbox you will now need to properly maintain it every 25K. A complete transmission fluid flush should be done regularly and the filter changed. Yet another reason besides poor gas mileage to never buy an automatic. The US is the only country where automatics are in such high demand. Europe and Japan drivers know the advantages of manual transmissions and purchase accordingly. Its the fat lazy American that complains its too much work to shift gears in a car!!
    that was a bit of an indictment without cause, wasn't it?

Toyota makes many of its automatics with "lifetime" fluid (no routine fluid changes are called for) now, unless you use the car for towing. Feel free to view that with as much skepticism as you would like, and I don't know if that includes the new Yaris, but it certainly included the Matrix I had.

robertkn, I wouldn't do it, because I think it WOULD be hard on the transmission in the long run, although many will tell you that in these days of computer-controlled automatics they can handle the behavior you describe.

• Actually...my question was not whether you think a manual transmission is better than an automatic transmission. That must be a different thread, but thank you for your opinion.

1. How much does it cost to have a clutch replaced periodically?

2. The Yaris Owners Manual specifically explains how to perform engine braking by downshifting the transmission, thus my question (which yaris46 did not even address). If the transmission were not designed to do so, why would the process be discussed in the manual?

3. If a transmission is not designed for braking are you saying that you do not downshift your manual tranny to slow down your car? When in high gear you just depress the clutch and hit the brakes until it stops?

4. The gas mileage rating for the manual tranny is only 1 mpg higher than the automatic.

Hoping to hear from someone who knows.
  • "The gas mileage rating for the manual tranny is only 1 mpg higher than the automatic."

From all the reviews I have read, many people with automatics are getting much worse than the EPA mpg estimates in real-world city driving... more like 27-30 instead of 34. However, manual owners are getting closer to the EPA city rating, in the 31-34 range.

That made my decision to order a manual-shift LB easier.
  • In that case I'm very pleased to report that after just doing my first fillup at 231 miles, the mpg for my new liftback/automatic computed out to 33 mpg--98% of which was city. Yay!! :)
    Wait, if the Yaris owner manual tells you how to do it, then why are you worried? I doubt they would tell you how to do something that would damage the car.

• Didn't say that I was "worried" per se. It's just that I've always owned automatics and have never done that and, for that matter, have never known anyone who did. It actually seems like a good idea, I just don't know whether it's something that will affect the longetivity of an automatic transmission. Maybe nobody knows...
    I have only owned an automatic once (and based on that I never will again), but I used to plan the downshifts just before I needed the engine braking, while my foot was still on the gas. That always seemed intuitively less hard on the transmission.