Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Transmission Problems

124»

Comments

• rslykrslyk Posts: 3
    If you own a 2007 Yaris 3dr Hatchback below vin# jtdjt9#3*75126293 there is a defect that will cost you $1200 to fix when the defect causes a failure. It is not a personal safety issue just a preventable costly repair. Toyota chose to change on going production, but not correct defect in cars already produced. They will correct the defect and failure if discovered within the Warranty period.
  • drg7drg7 Posts: 1
    ok, so I picked my brand new yaris up today: cant believe the lag/drag when it shifts up, not down. most here complain of some downshift problem. mine decelerates as if i was breaking when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.........checked the handbrake several times to make sure it was not the break causing this. please tell me this this something toyota will immediately take care of, fix it, and apologize. it cant be that the car drives like this!!!!!!
  • shouldn't do that. I'd call your dealer and complain ask them if your car needs an immediate ECU flash right outta the box.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• I believe what you may be experiencing is not a transmission issue! I have 2 manual transmission units an 09 and 10 in the fleet. These cars have an electronic throttle body which is controlled by the computer. On the manual units, I have to take my foot of the gas, count about 1-2 then hit the clutch. The response time of the computer shutting off the gas is slow. It takes about the same amount of time for it to apply the gas when you hit it. Therefore on an auto unit, you will also have an additional lag in timing response for the transmission to respond to the action of the throttle body!

As for jerkiness, you may be drifting between the shift points and the tranny is having trouble deciding what gear to stay in. Try staying a bit above/below that point on the gas pedal and see what happens.

Best of luck to you on this. I hope this may help.
  • isthatahemiisthatahemi Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    Here is what is happening....
    When you let off the accelerator;
    1. The ECU cuts engages the locking torque converter, in the transmission. This links the engine to the drive wheels, in the same manner driving a standard with the clutch engaged and the transmission in gear.
    2. The the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors, so when you are coasting the engine is kept running by the inertia of the vehicle.
    3.As the vehicle slows, the transmission must downshift to keep the engine at a "normal" operating speed.
    This helps "recapture", some of the energy used to accelerate the vehicle, in a similar manner to a hybrid vehicle. So don't worry, it is saving you fuel, and if you have a standard trans; coast in gear to allow the engine to use ZERO fuel while caosting down. It takes getting used to, but after awhile, it goes unnoticed.
    Now why Toyota doesn't put this in the owner's manual, is beyond me! :)
  • flapsflaps Posts: 3
    My problem is just the opposite. When I lift off the accellerator and head down a slight hill, the engine goes into 3rd gear making the rpm INCREASE from 2500 to 3200 or more.
    If I brake on a slight hill, the same things happens. This DOES NOT SAVE GAS. The reason the Yaris gets poorer milage than the Echo is because of this feature and others like it that were NOT included in the Echo model.
    I want the connection from the brake to the transmission CUT so I can brake when I need to. I will manually use the trans to 3rd IF I feel the need for more braking.
    SO---Let me know how to disconnect this system from the trans.
    Thanks
  • butler83butler83 Posts: 14
    My 2001 Echo was totaled. I am looking at a 2007 hatchback, AT with 25,000k miles for $9,000.

Please post any wisdom on the 2007 & what you think of 9k? The car is nice and clean, but I think that price is high no matter what KBB says.

Thanks!!!
  • yolanda8yolanda8 Posts: 1
    Besides the transmission problem that I had been experiencing since August the car engaged in first gear but not able to go in second and toyota has not been able to correct this problem. Now I had a problem this week with my accelerator, it got stock I was lucky I was only able to stop the car by putting it into park while car was still accelerating the handbrake did no good. Toyota is researching the problem......so far they say is nothing wrong with the car.....Has anybody had the same problem?
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Posts: 65
    "Questions about Yaris transmissions" would fit this post better than "Yaris transmission problems" for there really are no problems. Now if this were Chrysler or Ford, yes, you can call it "Transmission problems" all day long.
  • britridgbritridg Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Hi all, I have noticed this has become a common topic of discussion in the form and well i do not have the attention span to read through every post in order to find one with the answers to my questions. so here goes...
    I own a 2010 Yaris sedan automatic which i brought brand new in december of last year. As of late I have noticed the gas pedal feels like it is sticking, when i press down to accelerate the car hesitates then launches forward. it is really starting to bother me mainly because i thought it was the way i was driving the car but no matter how i drive it the problem remains. The car, Wyli, as i have dubbed him, is still covered under toyota's warranty.

Now the dilemma: 2 months after owning Wyli, only my 2nd car in 6 years and my first brand new car, a driver lost control of her car in the lane next to me on a highway. The driver hit my driver side back door panel at speeds of 40-50mph causing my car to skid out of control jerking violently with the traction control (which btw thank god for traction control, myself and my car would have been in far worse condition without) I am worried that the problems i am experiencing with the manner in which my car drives can be traced back to this accident. My frame was damaged and the vechile was not driving straight, pulling to either side. Repairs were made but unfortunately i did not go to a body shop the insurance co backed; my uncle works for a body shop and referred me to a very good family friend's body shop as my uncle could not vouch for his shop's recently hired painter. So as far as i know future repairs are not covered by said body shop.

Question/Issue: the gas pedal sticks, hesitating then launching my car forward and the car does not seem to be driving straight or the steering wheel/tires are experiencing much vibration. So will toyota fix these issues as it is under warranty-despite the history of an accident? Also, does the history of this accident negate my standing if i were to claim a violation of the lemon law?
  • i'm having a serious problem with my yaris '05 1ltr. the transmission jerks like crazy on every up-shifts, so much so that it has broken the wheel spindle twice and the gear mount once...

Also, if I'm at a stop light and put the car in neutral, the same jerk comes even when shifting to D. The only time there's no jerk is on the first shift to D after a fresh start.

as a temporary resolve i've taken off the main grip on the tranny that goes to the ECU. in this way the transmission stays in the 3rd gear even when i start from halt, so you can imagine how slow the pick-up is....i can't climb a simple parking incline and if i switch on the AC while on stop, the car doesn't move at all.

i've had the transmission checked and they said its fine so it has to be something electronic.
    i can understand the ECU lingo a bit so it would really help if i can get some relevant opinion from the experts here.
  • i'm having a serious problem with my yaris '05 1ltr. the transmission jerks like crazy on every up-shifts, so much so that it has broken the wheel spindle twice and the gear mount once...

Also, if I'm at a stop light and put the car in neutral, the same jerk comes even when shifting to D. The only time there's no jerk is on the first shift to D after a fresh start.

as a temporary resolve i've taken off the main grip on the tranny that goes to the ECU. in this way the transmission stays in the 3rd gear even when i start from halt, so you can imagine how slow the pick-up is....i can't climb a simple parking incline and if i switch on the AC while on stop, the car doesn't move at all.

i've had the transmission checked and they said its fine so it has to be something electronic.
    i can understand the ECU lingo a bit so it would really help if i can get some relevant opinion from the experts here.
  • lgalawaylgalaway Posts: 1
    what is the defect? my transmission froze and they are probably going to blame me as I had the clutch replaced two weeks ago--not by them. Please reply ASAP am desperate lindagalaway63@yahoo.com
124»