Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid Transmission Questions

2»

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Sounds like a circumstance wherein my Jeep Cherokee Limited would have needed all four tire chains....

Even the non-hybrid AWD RX300 VSC/Trac system will time out to protect the ABS pumpmotor after about 45 seconds. That is if you don't first get a CEL & VSc fault due to vehicle speed sensor, P0500, faulting.
  • gowhittengowhitten Posts: 11
    An update from last winter: On that same icy hill, if I go up in REVERSE, the AWDi (read - stupid) does not react the same and I do not have problems with the ICE shuting down the electric motors.

Reminds of when I was growing up in Cleveland and we lived on steep brick hill. We drive our RWD drive car up the hill in reverse - and scrape the curb for added traction.

BTW - Chains would have solved the problem - but what a pain for a such a short hill. My neighbor's FEH does not have any problems.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,798
    "An update from last winter: On that same icy hill, if I go up in REVERSE, the AWDi (read - stupid) does not react the same and I do not have problems with the ICE shuting down the electric motors. "

Oh, my. I hope Toyota isn't reading these forums. Apparently they forgot to put in the TC systems in reverse!
  • gvurgvur Posts: 2
    I think they maybe purposely provided us with means to "backout" of a bad situation will preventing continue forward movement into potentially more trouble...
  • rogcurtisrogcurtis Posts: 3
    This is required every 15,000 miles. How many are they? Where do I find them? What is the Torque? Does a safety cap/pin need to be removed? Has anyone done this?
    Huh...??!!

I think that only applies to the F/awd HL since the F/awd HH doesn't have a drive shaft.
    I got the information to re-torque drive shaft bolt on the Highlander Hybrid from the website "toyotapartsandservice.com"
  • rodonnellrodonnell Posts: 37
    I believe the answer is.....220 FT LBS. I found this spec on the ALL DATA website for the 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Apparantly this refers to the 4 (Four) driveshafts that extend from the electric motors to the wheel assemblies. They are attached with a 35MM nut at the axle end and are hammered over to prevent loosening.

I posted a note on this subject long ago with no replies, only turned into a read only thread. I had asked the Toyota dealer about this and got very vague responses.

My 07 has 102,000 miles on it now, and I have never actually retorqued the bolts, rather I only visually check to make sure none of the nuts have moved off the hammered over spots. I do this when I rotate the tires.

In my experience, whenever these axle nuts are taken off, on any make or model of automobile, they should be replaced, not simply put back on. Makes no sense to me to loosten then retighten the nuts.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the excellent information. The hammered over is very obvious when the wheels are removed. Yours is the only information I have on this subject. Thanks again.
    220 FT LBS....That is one HUGE number and cannot possibly be correct. 220 INCH LBS might be closer.
  • rodonnellrodonnell Posts: 37
    No. 220 FT Lbs is correct. At least what is listed on All Data. Very typical for an axle nut.
    The drive shaft bolts are allen head and given the relaticely small size I cannot imagine an allen head wrench capable of taking that level of torque.
  • Anyone dealt with this problem? Seems to start fine. But when you go to drive it, won't get pass 7 mph? Help.
2»