Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I sympathize! My daughter bought a 99 Trooper in June 06. It was a oil monster and we had to fill it every other time we filled the gas. We tried all types of synthetic oil, seafoam, and other recommended fixes. We had the pc valve replaced. After the replacement at an Isuzu dealer, the Trooper wouldn't start and we invested $800 in a new starter. My daughter drove it out to Boulder CO where she goes to school, equipped with a case of oil. She called me yesterday to tell me the Trooper 'died'. She was towed to a service station and was told the engine ceased and she'd have to replace it with new or used. This would not be cost effective since we paid only $6000 for it. It's in great shape otherwise and I'm trying to figure out if I can sell it for parts (new tires, 6disc cd player, new starter). Problem is I'm in MN and my daughter and car are in CO. She can't be carless but that's another issue.
    So, if you or anyone knows someone who is willing to pay for some used parts, I'd love to hear from you!!

Sue
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Just a reminder - this is not the place to buy and sell used parts. Try ebay or some other venue. :)

tidester, host
  • My 2001 Trooper S with automatic transmission, has been misfiring. When I have been driving for a while it will start all of the sudden. The vehicle only has 81,000 miles on it. I have a bad egr valve that sometimes sticks I guess as the check engine light comes on and the diagnostics says its insufficent flow to it. Any clues why it would be misfiring? I had a real bad misfire the other day where I heard a loud clunk and the check enginge light started to flash. :confuse:
  • Thanks for the post. I changed out the O2 sensor and reset the light by moving the screw to the b position. Thought that might have solved the problem but noticed the speedometer drop to zero and than back to the correct speed while I was driving yesterday. Where did you find your replacement part. Thanks
  • I have a 91 Isuzu Trooper, 2.8 TBI, 4X4, 5spd.
    Two problems:

It will turn over and start but stalls in about 1 second.
    It takes about 10 tries to get the truck to start. I have to keep my foot to the floor or it won't start.

Once it starts, I still have to keep my foot to the floor as it runs real rich (black exhaust) until the revs get up to 3-4K rpm. Then it clears up.

It does this every time I try to start it, warm or cold, even if I turn it off and immediately try to restart.

Problem 2:
    Once it starts, it idles at around 2K rpm.

If I block the air feed to the IAC valve, I can get the idle down to around 850 rpm. I replaced the IAC valve, but there was no change. TPS is correctly set to 5.0 vdc (key on, engine off) also.

I've checked all the vacuum lines and sprayed WD40 around the base of the TBI without finding any problems. I checked the brake booster also.... no change.

Intake manifold gaskets were replaced last summer.

This problem started two nights ago after the truck sat for a month. Made the 60 mile trip home, high idle and all.

The high idle still sounds like it could be a vacuum leak, but I have yet to find it. Don't know if the hard starting is related, but I assume it is.

Help!!!.
  • matausmataus Posts: 43
    Hello Everyone….!

First of all, I want to say that it is GREAT to find a Trooper forum running around out there. This forum was quite difficult to find. It’s a great pleasure to meet you all!

6 months ago, I purchased a 1991 Isuzu Trooper 4x4 5 speed manual Trans with a 2.8 litter 6 cylinder. The truck it in excellent condition! It’s the beautiful color of red with nearly perfect interior with no dents or scratches. When I first purchased it, I went out of my way to have a bunch of stuff done it to make sure everything was up to par. I changed all fluids. I.e.: oil, manual trans fluids, flush and fill coolant, engine flush, fuel system flush, break fluid, AC, etc… I also had the breaks done all around, new tires, new ac compressor end dryer, shocks, and tune-up with new plugs/wires/roter/distributer cap. I look at all of this as to be preventive medicine. Always better to be safe then sorry.
    I do have one problem though that maybe you all can help me resolve. I live here in Denver Colorado. And being in the mountains, there are its challenges when running up and down in the hills. The problem I have is horse power. Not to long ago, I brought my children up in the mountains to go camping. We had a blast! It was the first time I was able to run my truck in four wheel drive! It went everywhere anyone else could go and not more! I was really amazed by its performance! The unfortunate problem I have it when the truck is running high end. When I shoot up into the mountains via the highway, I’ll hit around 65 mph. Once I start to hit any kind incline (and the incline doesn’t have to be much), my truck starts to bog down. I will be going 65 mph in fifth gear, and then I will have to work down into fourth, and so forth. My truck holds up great in first thru third gear. It is nice, but I find myself holding traffic back because I am not able to increase my truck speed up “any hill” at fourth or fifth gear. I am boggled by this. Could it be a sensor of some sort? Oxygen or Map sensor? Everyone tells me that my truck is just old, and I will just have to deal with it. I do try to keep that in mind, but when I’m running up any kind of incline or inner city hill, and see a U-go (however you spell it), or an old Datson passing me bye, I have to wonder if there is maybe a problem here. If there is anyone out there who can help me in anyway with this, It would be GREATLY appreciated…. Oh, and by the way, I have so many people come up and ask me about my truck. They've never seen one in such great condition! There doesn't seem to be any nice ones running around out there these day! It's to bad, I love my Trooper!

Maddy
    :confuse:
  • matausmataus Posts: 43
    I messed up when I said my truck went everywhere anyone else could go and "not" more! I meant that it goes everywhere anyone else can go "AND" more. Sorry about that.

Maddy... :sick:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,003
    Welcome! For future reference, after posting you have 30 minutes to edit your post.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• :D Hey I glad you love your trooper too! First off I'm no mechanic but I had a similar problem after I had my tranny rebuilt. my boyfriend said "press the gas to go!" But after he drove it he went over his rebuild. I think he said he replaced a solenoid,passing gear and a valve was stuck open. Now my trooper passes everybody. I don't know if this is your problem but for me the rebuild was worth it. Luckily the labor was free since it was my boyfriend. I absolutely love my trooper. I hope this helped& good luck! :shades:
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    I've been a Trooper owner in Colorado for 10 years. You are getting what I think is normal performance for an early trooper. Just be glad you have a stick shift. The automatic would be worse. I had a '95 with the automatic, it needed second gear sometimes to get over Eisenhower from the west side, particularly with the family and luggage in it.
    Heavy truck and not much power. On the other hand, it can be run 5000+ rpm for as long as it takes to get over the hill. You will not find a better big SUV for off-road though. I had a 2001 Trooper for 3 years with the 3.5 motor that had a lot more power than the 95 and got the same mileage. Our 95 Trooper is now in St Louis with my daughter at 150k miles and it seems like it may be about time for an overhaul, or possibly adios. I guess it's time to pay for all the hard use it saw in Colorado. It's getting about 11 mpg, steadily coming down from about 16 over the past year. Otherwise runs good and uses no oil to speak of.
  • i am the second owner of 2001 trooper is there a 10 year 120k mile power train warranty. my trooper only has 48000 miles and the tranny needs to be replace according to the isuzu dealer. any help out there????
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Get's 1/2 the warranty so that would be 5 year 55k miles I think, so you may still be in warranty.

-mike
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 835
    Yep. Maybe 5 year 60K miles...could not find the offical numbers on the Isuzu site, but some old posts in the Trooper forum note that mileage. Get your VIN and call the owner line at (800) 255-6727 and they might be able to give you the in service date to figure the 5 years.
  • I purchased a 2001 Trooper Anniversary Edition from a private seller in 2003, with 32,000 miles on the vehicle. At 38,000 I had the transmission replaced, and at that time found out the tranny was replaced at 30,000. I had to have it replaced again at 43,000 miles. My warranty has expired, I now have 63,000 miles on my Trooper, and I have to have my transmission replaced again. This will make five transmissions in the five years since this vehicle has rolled off the lot. I made the mistake of not keeping track of my previous two trips to the dealership to have the transmission replaced. I am trying to obtain those documents now, but I do not expect any help from the dealer. I also tried to obtain service records from the previous owners dealership after the first replacement, which they told me they were sending, but low an behold, I never received anything. My experience with Isuzu Service in the past has been very negative.

Isuzu will not replace this transmission, as the vehicle is out of warranty, and the dealership in Green Bay wants $5500 to do the work. I still view this as a warranty issue as the problems have never truly been corrected, and why should I pay that much money to replace something that the dealer can't seem to fix, and will more than likely break in another 5,000 to 20,000 miles. I have already contacted the Better Business Bureau for assistance, but don't expect much help from them.

Has anyone ever had similar issues, or solutions to this problem? I thought I was babying this car, and this problem keeps happening, am I doing something wrong? I believe it is unacceptable for any vehicle to go through this many transmissions with such low mileage.
  • I have a 94 tropper and I am having a heating problem- Fuzes are being blown - I have tested the Blower motor and it is fine....I am trying to find the blower resistor to see if it might be bad........any help????
  • 1louie1louie Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Trooper and the "check" light under TOD comes on after a few minutes of running. I have had all fluids changed/serviced with no change. Also, the display lights showing the 4 wheels, green lights, always have the two rear wheel lights blinking. I am a long way from a dealer and all the local trans shops do not have the software to diagnois the problem. Any help is very much appreciated. I am new to this and get a littl lost. Thanks!
  • I have had a "clunking" sound in the back of my Trooper for about 2 months now. I took it to inspection and was told that it needed new brakes and a router which was put on this past weekend. I now have new brakes (great) and router but the "clunking" noise still remains! We think that it might be the CV joint? Anyone else ever have this problem? I have 60,000 miles on it!
  • The only way to check for yourself is to take a paper clip and short pin 8 to ground and watch for the check light to flash the trouble codes.

I don't have the info right here on step by step of how to do it, but there is a guy on here that has the repair manual in PDf.. hopefully he's reading this.

Otherwise, e-mail me at nate@ndarmento.com and I can forward to you what he sent me.
  • My trooper has been setting for about 10 years. Fuel Prices made me park my dodge 3500. The troopers 4 cyl. sounded really great again. So i put a battery in the trooper and this is the rest of the story....I will start the trooper by priming the carb. with gas. After it burns what is in the carb, Boom!, it shuts off. So I checked the fuel filter, It's fine.My guess is the fuel pump. Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks Alot,
    '86Trooper2"
  • Gummed up carb from fuel drying inside, remove,rebuild,reinstall, enjoy a wonderful 4cyl.