Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Engine Questions

13»

Comments

• I bought my 2007 Toyota Yaris April 2006. It has been a wonderful little car and still is. My 'check engine' light came on for the first time today. The car is running fine; I see nothing wrong at all. I, too, frequently get my gas at a BP station. That is an interesting tip. The next time I fill up I will see if it goes out. Other than that, I do not know what to do. The car is running great. I have checked the popular 'loose gas cap' issue, but that did not remedy the situation. Maybe disconnecting the battery terminals for a reset will work?.
  • The check engine light can come onin any car if you are using fuel from a high traffic gas station. They fill the tanks more often and will stir up condensation from the bottom of the storage tanks. I would recommend a product called HEET that will remove the moisture in your tank. The moisture can clog your injectors and cause the light to come on.
  • Thank you very much for the info. Fortunately, the problem has been resolved. I think I got some bad gas. After refilling and putting in a bottle of dry gas, the check engine light remained on even though the car is running perfectly. I unhooked the battery cable and the light went out. A reset, apparently. WHEW!!.
    How it started was a few weeks ago on a cold morning, my Yaris missed and kept shutting off. It finally worked itself out but hesitated at low speeds. I then put in fresh gas and the problem disappeared. I later learned that other people had the same problem at this particular station. I am not getting gas there anymore.
    Thanks for your input and advice. Cody
  • Hi, someone can help me on this?.. i have a 2006 yaris Hatchback, i have been note that my car has a particular shaking movement (like a unbalance rotor) or vibration when i am parked with the engine on.. this condition appears few months ago.. does somebody know if i have a mechanical problem on my engine? should i go to a technician?
  • kellynankellynan Posts: 1
    a huge flat piece of metal fllew under my car and made an explosive noise. When I pulled off road, metal had rolled up into a big ball. Do you know what this noise could be??
  • I rarely use Shell because last year we filled up with what turned out to be pure ethanol (their "mistake") and it wrecked the fuel system. I just finally gave in and went there again and what do you know, the check engine light stayed on (again) the next time I started the car. It isn't a loose cap, I have driven 150 miles since checking it and the light is still on. I hesitate to call a repair shop again. Any ideas?
  • I have noticed the same problem with my 2007 Toyota Yaris. Using just Amoco/BP gas seem to help.
  • 3 days before i am going to trade in my yaris, it decides it dosent want to turn on. you can turn the key and all the lights and music and everything will come on but nothing will happen in the engine. any suggestions???
  • Ok, I am getting a Yaris 5 speed sedan. (Toyota's 1.5 is legendary for reliability and just read in Forbes magazine that the Yaris is one of the top 5 cars to go over 200,00 with the least of amount of $ put into it...the other toyota in the grouping was the Sienna)

ANYWAY, I wanted to start up on synthetic oil and I wanted to change the antifreeze to the "pet safe" type. Does anyone believe these idea's of mine are good? I truely believe in the safe antifreeze, but what about the synthetic oil? (If a dog gets into a very small amount of antifreeze, it is not pretty.)
    Thanks.
  • Only joking, (somewhat), but seriously, use the spec'd coolant.
  • I guess I'm old-school, I know the maintenance schedule says to change the oil at 5,000 miles but this seems like an awfully long time to go before the first oil change for my 2012 Yaris LE. I've never gone longer than 3,300 miles for an oil change before for any of my previous vehicles.

Right now I'm at 2,050 miles on the odometer - I guess the stuff you hear about metal particles floating around from the engine being broken in doesn't apply to today's cars, right?

Most of my driving is stop and go -
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    I guess the stuff you hear about metal particles floating around from the engine being broken in doesn't apply to today's cars, right?

No it doesn't.

Mine is at 4700 miles now, will probably get its first oil change next week if I get the time....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Hummm! I just got gas at BP yesterday, and my engine light came on too! I have a 2007 Yaris and haven't had any problems with my car. The car is behaving normally. The light was on for awhile today, but went off on its own. There must be something up with the BP gas. :(
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 132
    The 2015 GT looks GREAT! can't wait to see it in person, and give it a test drive!
13»