Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 2007

Comments

• 719b719b Posts: 216
    i agree that a quart low in 3500 miles is excessive. are you sure your oil was full when you bought the car? i'd fill it to the line and see if it is lower when you reach the 5000 mile oil change. if it is low, you'll get the usual response, "that's normal".
    you will have to tell them you added 4 quarts in 5000 miles for them to take a look. if it was my car, that is exactly what i would tell them.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Thanks, 719b. For the record, at delivery, the oil level was at the top of the mark; I've been checking it every couple of weeks; you bet I'll tell them, and if it gets worse, I'll expect a new engine. I know of no other current manufacturer who admits to any oil consumption in a new vehicle. Do the Camry owners using the same motor get the same warning?
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    You guys aren't in touch with reality. Pretty much all manufacturers, including some very expensive makes, will say that something like 1 quart per thousand miles is "acceptible" oil consumption.

Fact is, modern engines actually burn more oil than older engines. Why? Because in an effort to make engines more fuel efficient and wring more power out of the cubic inches available, engineers have cut back on things like extra piston rings that scrub the cylinder walls to retain oil, because they add to the engine friction load and rob horsepower.

So while modern engines are much more powerful for their size than they used to be, one of the tradeoffs is a potential for increased oil consumption.
    Thanks for the reply, sdc2. But, really? Are you saying that you routinely add oil between changes to your bought-new, low mileage car[s]? Every one I know, including myself, buys their cars new; many of those cars are kept well past 100,000 miles, and non of them add oil between changes. I'm sure you're right about modern engine design; they get a whole lot more power out a lot fewer cubes, but, for me, adding oil went out with the used cars I owned in the 70's.
    Well one other point to consider is the longer oil change intervals used now...when I changed oil every 3,000 miles I generally did not need to add any oil between changes. Nowdays I go 5,000 miles, and I do generally end up adding a half a quart or so, generally after 3,000 miles since the last change. So I don't find adding a quart at 3,500 miles to be all that unusual.

Also, I suspect a lot of people don't even check their oil, and don't even know they need some added.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Boy, sorry, you simply could not be more wrong.

I have always changed my own oil and filter since purchasing my first car, a used 1956 Ford bought at Seattle's Westside Ford in 1961. In those days a loss of one quart in 3000-5000 miles was common. By the time I purchased a new '84 T-bird my concerns of oil use between changes were gone. Today I typically drain about 1/4 to 1/3 of a quart less than what I last put into the engine. That's across a 93 Ford Ranger, a 92 LS400, a 94 Ford AWD Aerostar, an '01 AWD RX300, an '01 E50 based MH, and a '01 911/996 C4.

I suspect that these days you must have something seriously wrong in order to "burn" through a quart of oil in 3000-5000 miles.

And yes, Porsche is one of the marques that will tell you that one quart in 1000 miles is not out of line. But on the other hand my exeriences with four Porsches, a 78 Targa, and 88 Carrera, a '99 C2, and now my current '01 C4, all put the lie to that.
  • I disagree totally about it being normal for cars to burn oil. I would agree that as engines get older and have a lot of miles on them, they tend to burn oil a little. But it is definitely not normal for a modern car to burn oil right from the start. My 02 Acura RSX with 115,000 still does not require any oil additions between my 5,000 oil changes. My old '96 Subaru started burning oil around 95,000 which was fine and expected.
    If the Toyota is burning oil then IMHO it is one of 2 things:
    1. The engine is defective. Manufacturers cover their butts by saying its normal, but I'd say its definitely not the experience the vast majority of Toyota owners have and therefore is why I say it is not normal.
    2. The vehicle was ran hard right off the lot and not broken in properly.

The only engine in which oil consumption is normal right off the bat is a 2-stroke.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    i don't want to sound sarcastic, but i believe you are the one that isn't in touch with reality.
    a manufacturer may say it's acceptable to add a quart of oil every 3000 miles, but it's not normal. the reason they say it is acceptable is because performance will be the same and the chances are the car will run fine past the 60,000 mile warranty most drive trains now have.
    i'm curious if this is something you just made up, or do you have documentation from a reputable source?
    Hello, bytor42. Interesting real-world info. What, in your opinion, would constitute "run hard off the lot and not broken in properly"?
    I'm not saying all new engines will burn oil. Most don't, but manufacturing tolerances are not going to be perfect every single time, and some do burn a little oil, for reasons I have already stated. Look around the boards for oil burning discussions, it is not as rare as you apparently think.

As far as documentation, no, I have not made a practice of storing such info, but I have read of at least a half-dozen manufacturers that say 1 quart per thousand is "acceptable". Not saying I agree with them, and there can be no doubt that there is a strong element of CYA in those statements, but the fact is an engine can function perfectly in terms of power and fuel efficiency, even while burning a little oil. So where is the defect?

If you are too lazy to check the oil once a month I have no sympathy for you. And to say the engine is "defective" if you have the crushing burden of having to add a $3 quart of oil in 5,000 miles is ridiculous.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,181
    Around here, I see the "manufacturer says it's normal" quote usually in the Isuzu Trooper discussions. See paisan, "Isuzu Trooper" #11476, 4 Apr 2007 3:30 am

fwiw, I never have to add oil to my '99 Quest with 121,000 on it, but my '97 Outback with 65k uses a bit of oil now and then. It was a half quart low last week but I may not have topped it off when I changed the oil last (the dipstick in the Outback is difficult to make heads or tails of).

Some other oil consumption posts (found with the Advanced Search tool) involve the Audi A3, Caddy CTS, Nissan Altima and Chevy Impalas (GM's 5.3L).

Doesn't seem to be a very big issue except with Troopers though.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kst1kst1 Posts: 21
    here's the update-

The service shop did not find anything to pinpoint this- just some computer glitch according to them. Cleared out the codes and said that chance of this happening again is 1 in a million. Well guess what, the check engine/VSC/skid lights have come back on. Will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Anybody have ideas/experience with this??
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    The 07 AWD just had 2,500-mi
    2 things already went wrong:
    The front Pax door cannot be unlocked by remote or by open from inside, while the other 3 doors were OK, during the coldest day in MA. Then suddenly it worked again in the 4th day after happened. My wife already made appointment w/dealer so we sent the car in for checking the suspected liquid drip mark on ground located under between 2 rear wheels. Dealer found 1 of the shock is defective. It's not in stock & has to be ordered and another appointment is scheduled for this week.
  • jonvetjonvet Posts: 3
    I see Toyota makes a very nice looking Ft bumper guard ,they call it a nudge bar. Unfortunately they only sell it in Australia and New Zealand, with shipping it's over $700. Anyone know how to get one here or a brand that would look good on a 08 Sport? Thanks, JonVet
  • 04rick04rick Posts: 1
    I have a toyota rav4 04' with 123,000 miles on it. The vsc and engine emission lights came on and I took it into a toyota dealer. I was advised to replace the vsc sensor after a diagonostic was run. The vsc sensor has been replaced but after 80 miles the
    emission and vsc lights are back on. What next? Did I get hosed by the dealer with
    the $500.00 dollar replacement of the vsc sensor?
    Your dealer is an idiot..!!

Anytime the engine shows a fault the VSC (& TC) "failure" light will come on by default, it is MEANINGLESS. Fix the engine problem and the VSC fault will clear automatically.

Just as it states in your owners manual.
  • bac2010bac2010 Posts: 1
    Our RAV4 is experiencing this exact same problem. I don't know how stepping on the brake in a dry parking lot or when shifting from Drive to Park would activate the downhill assist function. Dealer saw no computer codes when we brought it in and mentioned the problem and they said everything was operating normally. Anyone having this problem?
  • I just bought a 2008 4WD Limited Rav4. I "stepped-down" from a 2002 Highlander Limited. I really miss the auto-on/off headlight feature and, since I saw the little bubble on the dash, assumed the Rav4 had it also. I am really bummed about it and understand it is offered in the Rav4 in Canada, but not US models. This makes no sense to me. Is there an after-market conversion or can Toyota modify my Rav4 to add the feature since the dummy placeholder is already there?

dmcshaw
    You'll get used to it. Just remember to turn on the headlights whenever you flip your rear view mirror to night mode.
  • Well, actually, I've already swapped out the day/night manual mirror, too! I replaced it with an auto-dimming mirror with a compass and built-in garage door opener buttons. :-) I've added body side moldings and step rails. Now, the only thing left to change would be the stupid lights. Oh, well, I should have stuck with my Highlander. I was spoiled by all the amenities it had, I guess, but decided to down-size a bit to save gas. No big deal, just an annoyance over what I was used to. It just doesn't make sense to me that Toyota would scrimp on that, it's such a small thing. Weird.
  • I've been looking for a used RAV4. I got them down to $21750 including doc fee (he says required in our state by law) but not taxes or registration. He listed it at $23750. It's the 2007 RAV4 Limited fully tricked out with only 14,190 miles on it. Trying to decide on this or a 2009 or 2008 v6 limited one - someone said they got theirs down to $26570 or something. Keep in mind the features below are standard but also include the extras (like bluetooth that comes with the JBL speakers). It also has a clean carfax and autocheck record. Doesn't have NAVI is about it. He even said it has towing package parts. THere's no major cosmetic defects or rust either. Here's this deal:

Exterior
    Aerodynamic multi-reflector halogen headlamps w/auto-off
    Black roof rails w/cross bars
    Chrome grille
    Color-keyed bumpers
    Color-keyed door handles
    Color-keyed hard shell spare tire cover
    Color-keyed heated foldable pwr mirrors
    Color-keyed rear spoiler w/stop lamp
    FOG LIGHTS
    High Solar Energy-Absorbing glass
    Intermittent rear wiper
    LED rear lamps
    Rear privacy glass
    Side-opening rear door w/hold-open feature
    Washer-linked variable intermittent windshield wipers
    Interior
    (10) cup/bottle holders
    (3) 12V auxiliary pwr outlets
    60/40 split fabric-trimmed rear bench w/slide/recline function, 1-touch fold-flat lever, height-adjustable headrest, center armrest
    AM/FM stereo w/6-disc in-dash CD changer-inc: MP3/WMA capability, aux input jack, (6) speakers
    Amber-illuminated Optitron instrument cluster-inc: speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, LCD odometer w/(2) tripmeters
    Cargo area storage pockets in wheel housing w/(2) cupholders
    Cruise control w/brake deceleration feature
    Digital clock
    Direct tire pressure monitor system
    Door panel storage pockets, bottle holders
    Dual glove boxes w/upper box one-push open/close
    Dual visor vanity mirrors w/sliding extensions, roof-mounted vanity light
    Dual-zone automatic air conditioning w/air filtration, information display, micro dust/pollen removal capability
    Engine Immobilizer
    Fabric-trimmed 8-way pwr driver/4-way manual passenger seats-inc: pwr driver lumbar support, height adjustment, seatback pockets
    Fender-mounted mast antenna
    Illuminated entry-inc: key illumination, interior light, front map light
    Interior footwell lighting
    Leather-wrapped shift knob w/metallic insert, gated shifter
    Leather-wrapped tilt/telescoping steering wheel w/audio controls
    Multi-function center console-inc: (2) illuminated cupholders, storage box, cell phone storage pocket
    Outside temp gauge
    Pwr door locks
    Pwr windows w/driver-side auto up/down & jam protection
    Rear deck storage-inc: water-repellant foldable deck board
    Rear window defogger w/timer
    Remote hood/fuel filler door releases
    Remote keyless entry
    Tonneau cover w/cargo net
    Mechanical
    17" x 7.0 6-spoke aluminum wheels
    3.5L DOHC SFI 24-valve dual VVT-i V6 engine
    5-speed ECT automatic transmission
    Anti-lock brake system (ABS) w/brake assist
    Double-wishbone rear suspension w/coil springs
    Downhill assist control (DAC)
    Electric pwr rack & pinion steering
    Electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD)
    Front/rear stabilizer bars
    Full-size spare tire
    Hill start assist control (HAC)
    Independent Macpherson strut front suspension
    On-demand 4-wheel drive
    P225/65R17 all-season tires
    Pwr vented front/rear solid disc brakes
    Traction control (TRAC)
    Vehicle stability control (VSC)
    Safety
    3-point seat belts for all seating positions w/adjustable front seatbelt anchors
    Anti-lock brake system (ABS) w/brake assist
    Child protector rear door locks
    Child restraint system (ISOFIX CRS) top tether anchors for all rear seating positions
    Collapsible steering column
    Driver/front passenger advanced airbag system
    Driver/front passenger front seat-mounted side airbags
    Drivers emergency locking retractor (ELR) seatbelt
    Front & 2nd row roll-sensing side curtain airbags
    Front crumple zone
    Passengers automatic locking retractor (ALR) & emergency locking retractor (ELR) seatbelts
    Side impact door beams
    Traction control (TRAC)
    Vehicle stability control (VSC)

Brakes
    Brake ABS System: 4-Wheel
    Brake Type: Pwr
    Disc - Front (Yes or ): Yes
    Disc - Rear (Yes or ): Yes
    Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in): 11.8 x
    Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in): 11.2 x
    Cargo Area Dimensions
    Cargo Volume to Seat 1 (ft³): 73.0
    Cargo Volume to Seat 2 (ft³): 36.4
    Cooling System
    Total Cooling System Capacity (qts): 9.6
    Engine
    Displacement: 3.5L/216
    Engine Type: Gas V6
    Fuel System: SFI
    SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM: 269 @ 6200
    SAE Net Torque @ RPM: 246 @ 4700
    Exterior Dimensions
    Height, Overall (in): 66.3
    Length, Overall (in): 181.1
    Min Ground Clearance (in): 7.5
    Tread Width, Front (in): 61.4
    Tread Width, Rear (in): 61.4
    Wheelbase (in): 104.7
    Width, Max w/o mirrors (in): 71.5
    Fuel Tank
    Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx (gal): 15.9
    Interior Dimensions
    Front Head Room (in): 40.8
    Front Hip Room (in): 53.8
    Front Leg Room (in): 41.8
    Front Shoulder Room (in): 57.1
    Passenger Capacity: 5
    Passenger Volume (ft³): 108.2
    Second Head Room (in): 39.7
    Second Hip Room (in): 52.4
    Second Leg Room (in): 38.3
    Second Shoulder Room (in): 55.3
    Mileage
    EPA Fuel Economy Est - City (MPG): 21
    EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy (MPG): 28
    Steering
    Lock to Lock Turns (Steering): 2.7
    Steering Ratio (:1), Overall: 14.6
    Steering Type: Pwr Rack & Pinion
    Turning Diameter - Curb to Curb (ft): 34.8
    Summary
    Body Style: 4 Door
    Vehicle Name: RAV4
    Suspension
    Stabilizer Bar Diameter - Front (in): 0.95
    Suspension Type - Front: MacPherson Strut
    Suspension Type - Front (Cont.): w/Stabilizer bar
    Suspension Type - Rear: Double-Wishbone
    Suspension Type - Rear (Cont.): w/Stabilizer bar
    Tires
    Front Tire Size: P225/65R17
    Rear Tire Size: P225/65R17
    Spare Tire Size: P225/65R17
    Trailering
    Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 200
    Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 2000
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 200
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 2000
    Transmission
    Drivetrain: 4-Wheel Drive
    Fifth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.76
    Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1): 3.08
    First Gear Ratio (:1): 4.24
    Fourth Gear Rato (:1): 1.05
    Reverse Ratio (:1): 3.38
    Second Gear Ratio (:1): 2.36
    Third Gear Ratio (:1): 1.52
    Trans Description Cont.: Automatic w/OD
    Trans Type: 5
    Vehicle
    EPA Classification: Sport Utility Vehicle
    Weight Information
    Base Curb Weight (lbs): 3675
    Wheels
    Front Wheel Material: Aluminum
    Front Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7.0
    Rear Wheel Material: Aluminum
    Rear Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7.0
    Spare Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7.0
  • Where can I find all the technical service bulletins for free? I'm about to purchase an 07 RAV4 Limited edition and I want to check all the issues that are associated with it. I've looked at LemonLaws.Info but it doesn't seem to say a whole lot.

Can I just bring it in to a dealer within the first 36,000 miles and ask that all these things be fixed?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may want to have a look at You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) .

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Thanks for the link.

Do you think that used RAV4 deal is a good one?
    Do you think that used RAV4 deal is a good one?

I think RAV4 owners would be better able to judge that. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • we decided it was a good deal. it had only 14K miles, leather, heated seats, tow prep, jbl speakers w/ bluetooth, fog lights, daytime lights, great tread left on tires, little to no blemishes, tourneau cover and cargo net, and the backseat side airbags. basically the previous owners put everything on it except the navigation. then they got bored and traded it in for lexus suv. hopefully nothing will go wrong but it still has over half it's warranty left.

Bonus #1 - this dealership was giving 120% of KBB fair value minus any extra repairs. he said our tires needed replacing and we had a scratched bumper. that brought our value down to sub-$9000 on our 40K miles 2004 civic ex. but the 120% gave us a trade in value of 10127. this is higher than anything I can find on ebay completed sales so we're happy.

Bonus #2 - I applied for the FirstAgain loan at 6.44% instead of dealer financing. but when I told the dealer this he said his local bank might be willing to match. he called them up and they said yes after a credit check. the bonus is that when we got home i got an email from firstagain saying we were denied the loan but that was ok because dealer got great rate.

Bonus #3 - dealer gave us $300 off of $700 ResistAll carpet, leather, and paint treatment. $400 addon seems high but knowing our carelessness and kids tendencies to spill juices, throw up, drop food this will be great for us. plus it protects the paint and they'll fix for free if it stains. after checking what others have paid and the fact i hate waxing cars this was a good deal to us.

Bonus #4 - we couldn't pick up the car until 5 days later. but with my work distance this means i'll get to use up the gas in my trade in and get a full tank once i trade it in.

I"m so excited. I just feel a bit odd owning a gold colored tricked up leather SUV when it's so not me to spend money on leather, nor choose gold color. I'd rather keep the money. But this deal was too good.
    Congrats! It sounds like you got a great deal and the important thing is that you're happy with it. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • My husband purchased winter tires for my 2007 Rav 4 which do not have the RFID tire sensor in the valve. How do I disable the sensor so I don't have the indicator light on all winter.
  • I brought my 2007 RAV4 in for routine maintenance (oil change, tires rotated etc) and since have had this same problem. The engine check light, 4WD light and the VSC light stay on constantly. My dealer and service person both say it is the gas cap. The vehicle has less than 24,000 miles on it. So what gives?
    First, ANYTIME you have a CEL then the VSC/TC system will be disabled by default. Since the 4WD requires TC to apportion torque it will also be non-functional.

And yes, it could be the gas cap.

Due to emissions regulations your fuel system is kept under a slight positive pressure to detect if there is any leakage. If you inadvertently leave the gas cap slightly loose, or remove the gas cap without fueling the car, a CEL will result. These normally clear within a few drive cycles provided the problem is resolved, seat the gas cap.

Did you by chance buy a locking gas cap that doesn't meet the EPA requirments..??
This discussion has been closed.