Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Security System Questions

snpatel1snpatel1 Posts: 2
I have a 2000 Honda Accord coupe with an anti-theft device and an aftermarket auto start system. Recently, I've been running into a problem where my anti-theft device gets riggered and the lights and horn start going off for two minutes at a time then stop. I can't figure out what's going on. First, I thought it was a wire that attached to the hood to signal when the hood was open or closed and activate the alarm accordingly. This wire had broken off an actuator switch so I grounded the wire thinking this would solve the problem. It worked for about a month, then the problem started again. Honda dealers tell me the problem can be with a pin in my door lock, but it costs a lot to fix.

I was wondering if there's a way for me to get my anti-theft disabled so the horn and lights would stop flashing. I park my car in a garage in suburbia so I'm not too worried about it getting stolen.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Sanjiv

Comments

• Ok I have a 2005 Honda Accord. I was wondering that since it already has the factory alarm, will the alarm go off if someone breaks the windows? I had my windows down and when I went to unlock it while it was armed, the alarm didnt go off. So i was just wondering. Lots of cars have been getting there windows broken at school and I didnt want that to happend to me. If thats the case then will I be able to put in a different car alarm in my car without messing it up? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    My 06 alarm will go off if I unlock the door with the window down. I'm sure you can figure out how I know that. ;)
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 818
    I recall an upgrade option for the security system for glass breakage, at least when I purchased my 04 Accord. I would assume it's the same for your 05.

Mrbill
  • baccus49baccus49 Posts: 60
    My 2005 Accord does not arm the alarm unless you lock it using the button on the key. If you're locking it using the buttons in the car, that's why the alarm doesn't go off.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Not true in my 2006 EX. I lock the door from the interior button all the time, then close the door. Look at the dash, you should see a red LED blinking in the instrument cluster.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The security system automatically sets 15 seconds after you lock the doors, hood and trunk. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system light on the instrument panel starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself.
  • I live in the Midwest where we get quite a bit of winter snow. I would like to warm up my car in the morning before going to work to defrost it, but I don't seem to be able to leave it running and lock the doors (so as not to get stolen). Any ideas?
  • canm23canm23 Posts: 2
    I HAVE I 2004 HONDA ACCORD AND IT'S LIKE IT'S FROZEN. NOTHING WILL TURN ON. IT'S LIKE IT'S DEAD. IT'S NOT THE BATTERY EVERYTHING WAS TURNED OFF. I BELEIVE IT HAS TO DO WITH THE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO TURN IT OFF????? PLEASE HELP ME!!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    From what my 03 manual says, the immobilizer system only cuts the fuel to the engine. The immobilizer system light would also be blinking. If the lights don't work, and the starter does not work, I think you have an electrical problem (battery, cables, etc.).
    I agree. Even with no key in the ignition, you should still be able to turn on headlights, hazard flashers, and dome lights. Doesn't sound like an alarm/immobilizer issue.

Try testing the battery?
  • p90650p90650 Posts: 1
    This is not a big item, but would like to find the headlight reminder chimes on my '93 Accord EX. They quit working and would like to repair or replace. Thanks!
  • So I left my car in the care of my unit in Nebraska. The battery dies. Now when they try to restart the car, the alarm goes off and they are unable to shut it off. What gives? What is the solution? I get back in thirty days...

Thanks!
  • paulawpaulaw Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2002 Accord and the alarm keeps going off, 3-4 times, for no apparent reason (while I'm sleeping no less!!). I was told to check the doors, trunk, hood and windows to make sure everything was closed properly and they were. Went to an Honda dealership and was told it's probably the hood latch, they have experienced this before. Hood closes just fine though. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what might cause this before I spend money to fix it? I can't lock my car incase it happens again.
  • The hood latch on my 04 Accord has the alarm switch mounted in/on it. I'm assuming your 02 is similar. Like all hood latches, they collect all the grease/grime/dust from the road. My suggestion would be to spray the whole latch with WD40. Soak it down real good, you can't really overdue it. Now close-open-close the hood a few times to work the mechanism. This will help distribute the oil. Hopefully what's going on is the alarm switch is sticking, and adding the lube will work it loose.

Mrbill
    Thanks Mrbill, I'll try that. Can you see the hood latch alarm swith? Is it something I can disconnect incase the WD40 isn't enough to stop the problem?
  • Not sure if you can see the switch on your 02. On my 04, when I look at the hood latch, I can see the cable for the hood release, and I also see an electrical cable going to the latch. Thats probably the alarm switch since I don't know of anything else electrical on a hood latch. As far as disconnecting, that probably can be done, but if you do unplug the switch, that cable will need to be jumpered (shorted) to keep from triggering the alarm.

Mrbill
    I'll have a look for the switch...thanks for your help!
  • "The security system automatically sets 15 seconds after you lock the doors, hood and trunk. For the system to activate, you must lock the doors from the outside with the key, lock tab, door lock switch, or remote transmitter. The security system light on the instrument panel starts blinking immediately to show you the system is setting itself."

This is a direct quote from the owner's manual, I've just noticed. Thing is, my system activates as soon as I remove the key from the ignition (2006 EX 4 liter). Locking the doors, manually or with the remote, makes no difference. Reinserting the key in the ignition deactivates the system (or, at least, the dash light stops blinking).

I've only just noticed this now because I've wondered whether leaving the car unlocked (in a locked garage) might help to avoid a battery drain problem I've been having. Twice now, late in winter, after leaving the car in the garage for a day or two, the battery's lost enough cranking power that I can't start up (headlamps are still bright, oddly enough.)

I'm not sure it's worth the bother, but I can't even begin to experiment with it with the system as it now functions. Leaving the driver's side door unlocked should keep the system from activating, as I understand it. I guess I'll have to have the dealer take a look (still under warranty.)
  • As an edit to the above post, I should mention that the light for my system is not located in the instrument panel. It is on the dash, just above the "eject" button for my CD changer (I don't have a navigation system, where the configuration may be different.) The light is labeled "anti-theft device." But the light in the instrument panel, as illustrated in the manual, is not present.

It may be that my system is a different one that is discussed in the manual (?). And if so, perhaps its operational characteristics are not quite the same.

Funny that I should have the car for over 2 1/2 years without noticing this, but then, there it is: it never mattered until now.
    That light on the stereo is not an alarm, but simply a theft-deterrent. Honda has used these since the early 90s.

The alarm system in EX Hondas is the light in the instrument cluster.