Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang Wheels and Tires

jt2000gtjt2000gt Posts: 2
I am finally putting a new set of wheels on my mustang gt. I have chosen to put 18" Diablo wheels on it, but want to increase the tire size from a P245 to a P265. Will their be enough room?

Comments

• filofilo Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 Mustang that I THOUGHT THE FUEL PUMP FAILED. When I checked the connections at the tank I DIDN'T HAVE ANY POWER.I replaced the fuel pump relay and still no power. I need help on what to check next.
    filo
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    You did check the fuse, first - didn't you?
    As long as you keep the outside diameter the same size it won't be a problem. Tirerack.com has a good chart that shows the diameter for different sizes. This will tell you what series you need for a 18" 265 to keep it the same size as stock.
  • Bought a new 2006 GT during the Thanksgiving weekend sale. After a week, after I washed the car, I checked the tire pressure and found all four tires were at 25psi. The tire specification for the Pirelli P235/55 ZR17 98W M+S said the maximum pressure should not exceed 51psi. What is a good pressure for everyday driving?
    Why don't people read their owner's manual? There is a placard or sticker in one of the door jambs that will tell you the correct pressure.
  • Attually, I had read the owners manual, but did not find the recommended pressure. Thanks for pointing out the sticker on the door jamb. It recommends 32 psi, far below the Max psi and 25% higher than where I received the car at.
    Of course, having Ford recommend a lower psi than the Max shown on the tire reminds me of the Explorer fiasco. Hope there are no issues here.

:confuse:
    Nobody ever recommends the max on the tire. That is the absolute limit of safety and should never be used as a recommendation. You can usually go a little higher than the recommendation since that's normally a compromise for ride quality. 32-26 should be fine - just depends on how you like the ride.

The owner's manual tells you where to find the sticker.
  • Dealers underflate tires to make the ride seem smoother on test drives. :shades:
  • I currently own a 2001 V6 Mustang with custom 17" chrome wheels. I am looking into buying a 2007 GT and would like to keep my 2001 Chrome wheels. Will my 2001 Wheels fit the 2007 Mustang? A little help please.
  • NO,,,,, the 05-07 Mustangs use a completely different back spacing than the 04 and earlier cars.
  • Just put factory 16" (off a 2003) on a 2000 that had 15's. How much does this affect the speedo and what has to be replaced to fix it?
    Could be a lot, could be not at all. It's not the size of the wheel, it's the diameter of the tire. As long as the tire diameter doesn't change much you're ok. Do a google for a tire calculator or check tirerack.com.
  • jirasjiras Posts: 2
    I currently own a 1999 mustang and I have 20" rims on it. I should have payed more attention when i have to break because I sometimes smell a burning or heating up of the rotors when i go to break sometime suddenly in California traffic. Should I worry about this or should i rethink long term affects? Thanks for any replies. :sick:
  • jirasjiras Posts: 2
    Thanks akirby for your help and I will check that out!! Thanks again! :)
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    This is the stupidest statment that has probably evern been posted on this board and this is not the first time it was posted.

DO you really think that dealers have somebody go around and back pressure out of all the tires on the lot? Who do you think they would be able to bill for that?

ALL cars are shipped with the tires at higher pressure then recommended for regular driveing to prevent flat spots durng shipping.

At the dealer, the service department preforms a Pre Delivery Inspection. I suppose at that time the tires could then be under inflated but that would mean you have service personal doing something they know is wrong on purpose and therefore assuming the liability.

Mark
  • nancy49022nancy49022 Posts: 6
    i bought a 95 mustang with 20"s on it kronix ekos , i heard that if you drive long on tires it will tear-up your transmission is this true? and can you travel long dist on the highway? are they rough rideing? any answers WELCOME i havent drove it yet!!image
    Why would you buy a car without driving it?

i heard that if you drive long on tires it will tear-up your transmission

Almost everyone drives their mustang on tires. Driving it on the rims is definitely not a good thing.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Not sure if the big-wheel questions were answered, but...

Running 20" wheels will indeed cause more stress/wear on your brake pads. Mostly because you're adding more weight/rotational mass to your car with those big boys, and also because as your stopping distance is increasing, you'll be on the brakes more often.

You might want to look into some heavy-duty brake pads that resist wear/fade.

As for how they ride, the answer is bad, and your performance will drop. Also, you're going to be shelling out huge amounts of money for new tires. But if you're comfortable with that and you like the look, then enjoy!
  • i have a 97' GT w/ 17 alloy wheels i desperatly need new tires, the current ones are offbrand and i would like to replace with good reliable tires. BUT i dont have alot of cash ie: not looking to spend more then 150 per tire.

any suggestions?