Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan: Tires/Wheels-Road Noise

Comments

• I purchased a 2006 Fusion with allegedly new tires...I got 6 months of heavy highway driving...and they needed replacing. So I did, with Nokians, I4's I think, anyway, 6 more months and 18 k miles and another set of tires is ruined...any one have similar problems...I figure this is 3 sets of tires on the car with 60k miles on it...under highway conditions.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Are the tires wearing evenly? Are you rotating them? 20K miles on a set of tires is not uncommon. Do you have the 16" or 17" tires? 16's might be cheaper and might last a bit longer but you'd have to change wheels if you have 17's now.
  • The Nokians were 60K mile treadwear...and yes, rotating...not every 6k as suggested, but rotating. I've never had a car NOT get the reccomended treadwear the way I drive.
    Assuming the tire wear is even across the tread, the only thing I can think of is to have the alignment checked - specifically the front toe-in. That's the only thing I can think of that would affect normal tire wear.
  • Very Good...you appear to know what you are talking about. The toe was off...and subsequently re-aligned...I guess I am wondering...will I continue to blow through tires?
    No guarantee, but it should definitely be better than before. When the toe-in is off the tire is basically being scrubbed sideways when you're driving straight.
  • My 2006 Fusion SEL (30,356 miles) has been developing a terrible road noise. It is coming from the rear. My dealer says its worn tires but I had them rotated and the noise is the same. The tires look fine. The noise is much worse above 60. It has Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P225/50R17

Is there a fix or maybe someone has had better luck with different type or brand of tires.
    Could definitely be the tires - some are worse than others. It could also be a wheel bearing. Try jacking up the rear and spinning the tire (in neutral, parking brake off of course - be sure to block the tires so it can't roll). If it's a bearing you should hear something on just one side.
  • I just bought a set of Dunlops from the tirerack @ 141. a piece for the 225 50 R17. awesome deal. i didn't bother with the local dealers, they are way over priced.
  • I bought an 08 Milan back in Jan. I have a 2000 camry and the road noise is quite a bit more pronounced in the Milan. My Camry is a CE, nothing special but it is quiet. The Milan is just a loud car. Its like its just not as tight as the Camry. I like it...I guess. For the money it wasn't bad and it does look good. I think I wish I had bought another Camry.... :(
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    And that includes a print out from TireRack.com

Most dealers do participate.

Mark
  • I have the same issue... 06 V6 46,000 miles the noise was comming from the rear till i rotated them now its is comming from the front. also noticed since the tires are new (Toyo tires) the tread pattern looks like the toe might be off do to raised tread pattern...
  • My problem was the tires. I talked to several Fusion owners and several had the same problem and they blamed the tires. I replaced the Michelin original equipment tires with Bridgestone HP550's and the noise is completely gone. The tires are quite and handle well. I am done with Michelin's, at least for the Fusion.
  • OTOH, I have an 07 Milan V6 Premiere with 22k miles and do not have Noisy tires. Mine are also Michelin, but I don't recall what size off hand. Perhaps it is a size problem or a batch problem.

Paul
  • I don't know whether I am asking this on the proper board or not but here goes. You can yell at me later. We bought a 2006 Fusion and love it...but, in wet weather the rear tires slip sideways, mainly on asphalt skin patches (used to repair cracks on the highway). Dry weather, it corners beautifly. It's a little unnerving as you feel like you hit an icy patch and you could go into a skid. Never experienced anything like this before. I know motorcyclists complain about those skin patches. We have quite a few patches on our main highway into town. We've had the tires rotated and they are Michelins. Thanks
    Not sure there's anything you can do about that - the Michelin tires have plenty of grip. If it doesn't do it on normal pavement I'd say that you'd get that with most any tire. However, something like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S might do a little better - but you'll pay for it.
  • GenoHGenoH Posts: 1
    I have the same problem -- I have continental ContiProContacts. 2007 4cyl FWD.
    Gets even worst in ice/Snow- almost undriveable. Rotated Tires, bought two new ones for front on dealer recommendation. Didn't really help. Only 18k on originals. Also, had alignment done - didn't help. Also, dealer has suggested to try new ones on back - no real change.
    Slip on skin patches, man-hole covers, bridge expansion joints -- very unnerving. Mostly slip toward the traffic side which even makes it more interesting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    If you're routinely driving in ice and snow you really need winter tires. Michelin all seasons might do better but not much.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    I have the Michelin original equipment and they do a very poor job on the snow and ice. Has anyone else noticed the flatspotting that happens when it gets cold? It does go away after a few miles but it has been a long time since I noticed that in any of my cars in the winter time. Won't be driving it much for awhile.
  • neile457neile457 Posts: 65
    Another Newbie here. I have a 08 Fusion SE 4cyl with the Conti tires. Really bad road noise. I am looking for a tire that's ________, in this order. Any recommendations.

1. High Tread life
    2. Low Rolling Resistance
    2. Quiet

Don't care about ice and snow traction. I am thinking the Avid from Yokohama. Any ideas.

I also saw from CR that the Dayton Grenadier PLE is a good choice, but I can't find anyone that sells it. Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.