Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3 and BMW X5 Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• achonkoachonko Posts: 51
    87 will not ruin your engine but you will notice the following:
    1. Sluggish performance- from experience.
    2. Poor fuel economy- from experience.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    In addition if the X3 averages 18 mpg and is driven 15K miles per year, the annual savings will be all of $167- 46 cents per day. Whoopie...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    I recently returned from a @1200 mile road trip in the X3 2.5. Loaded with 2 adults, 2 12 year old boys, and a cargo hold stuffed with luggage the truck averaged over 25 mpg at an average speed of 77 mph(according to the OBC). Cant complain about that...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Picked up my X5 3.0 2 weeks ago. I am driving 80% city 20% highway.
    My average in the first 2 tanks 18.4 mpg. I heard it would get better after the first 1000 miles.
  • I have poor gas mileage on my brand new 2009 X3 AT. As with the poster from two years ago, I wonder if the transmission issues contribute to the poor gas mileage.

Since I do not know if the gas mileage is directly related to the known AT problems, I thought this deserved a separate thread.

Currently with the odometer still http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f11ffdc/30

#43 of 194
    There are MANY issues with the X3 by jacqva
    Jun 20, 2007 (3:57 pm)

But the main issue is the transmission. I am beyond frustrated because each time I take it in, the service folks tell me the transmission checks out “normal” on their computers. I am convinced that this jerky transmission and high RPMs is the reason I get horrible gas mileage on this vehicle.

I am averaging around 14.5mpg in the city and 17.5 on the highway. Now, before you accuse my driving habits for this, I do *not* have a lead foot, this is not my first BMW, and yes, I *always* put 93 octane in the car. I too have had many many passengers in my car make comments on how bad this thing shifts and how they think I should have bought a Lexus, etc.
  • ...has a lifetime fuel mileage of 21.7 mpg.. Mostly suburban commuting, with some grocery duty, etc... on weekends.. :)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    Currently with the odometer still 500 miles

That's nothing - you can't really get much of a baseline until 3,000 miles or more. My minivan didn't hit its stride until 10,000 miles and the lifetime mpg kept going up (albeit in small increments) for another 60,000 miles or so.
  • My 5 series' MPG dropped from about 18 on average down to slightly above 14...currently what my X3 does. It was the same from the get go, never improved but didn't deteriorate until it went well over 100K miles.

I am not expecting a significant increase in the X3's gas mileage unless I spend my life coasting and using the engine brake to slide into parking spaces like the garage.

I have a pretty good eye for just how far coasting will get me but there is this big metal post in the garage that I want to avoid hitting.
  • Hi, Everybody.

I have a 2005 X5 with about 86K miles on it. I'm getting about 300 miles per tank. This seems really low, lower than it's been before.

I've been noticing a trend. When I fill up, the first quarter tank nets me about 100 miles. The second quater tank 75. The third 30-50. And then the final quarter it's back up to 100.

Does this seem normal? I'm hoping to sell the vehicle soon and go into something smaller (and quicker!)

Thanks!
    MTG
  • 2011 X5 35d delivered on 12/18/10. I have taken it on two long trips as part of the break in period and now have 3K miles on it. The most recent trip which was mostly hwy driving at speeds of 75-80 mph I averaged 28.5. I noticed when I kept my foot out of it and was around 55-65 mph I was seeing numbers in the 29.5-31 mpg.
    The most amazing part was NOT filling up! I drove for 8.5 hours straight and still had an 1/8th of a tank! I am sold (again) on diesel and this new SAV.
2»