Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Scion xB Owners - Give Us Your Report

2»

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a large national newspaper is interested in talking with new owners of the Scion xB. If you recently purchased this vehicle, please contact Chintan Talati at [email protected] no later than Monday, May 12.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    My wife just took delivery of an 08 xB with the manual transmission. Everything is fine but there is one annoyance, and hopefully not a future problem. When driving in 5th gear (50 mph and above), the shifter has a slight vibration when the throttle is pushed down. The buzz goes away when you let the foot off the gas. I don't feel anything other symptoms of this other than in the shifter vibration. Does anyone have a similar experience? I will have to bring this in and let the dealer know in case there is a transmission issue down the road.
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    How much oil did the tech refill your XB with? Some owners have reported significatntly lower mpg with oil overfills. The owners manual states that 3.7 quarts are requried but some techs don't measure too closely and overfill it. I've never redeemed my 3 free oil changes from Scion as I don't trust the oil change techs. Over fill is said to reduce mpg as well as the wrong oil viscosity. Check your dipstick and drain if overfilled. Also try synthetic oil, new air filter and make sure tire pressure is at 32 psi. I do my own oil changes with 5/30 full synthetic oil every 5000 miles and consistantly run 32-34 mpg on my 2005 XB wth automatic at speeds up to 80 mph. I'm at 83,000 miles now and it still runs great. I've had 2 people in the last week ask me if I wanted to sell it. One was driving a Tahoe and the other an F-150, and both said their fillups are now over $100 a pop. Good luck.
  • eileenveileenv Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2005 Scion for almost two years. My back windshield has broken three times. I have it parked on the street in front of my house and dont know if someone is breaking it, or if it is breaking for some other reason.

I have lived in this house, this neighborhood for 22 years and have never had a problem with our cars being broken into, etc. I have my husband's car parked out front, and my two sons have their cars parked on the side also. It is just my car getting a broken back windshield about every three months it seems lately. No other cars in the neighborhood so, of couse, the Police think I have some enemies. But I tried to explain to them 22 years here and never a problem until I get this car. I fact I don't think I have EVER called the Police to my house before this started.

Has anyone heard of this problem before. I have seen the faulty FRONT windshield, but could it be the back too.

As of tonight we are going to have to put the car in the garage because now I am afraid my car insurance will cancel my glass coverage and then I will be really out of luck.
  • debatingdebating Member Posts: 14
    I'm retired, but I deliver part time for a florist. She bought an XB in late '05 (at my suggestion). It now has nearly 70000 miles. Multiple drivers, it gets flogged pretty hard in stop in stop and go delivery. It has had one ignition coil go bad, and a damaged gas cap, in addition to routine maintenance.
    I've been intrigued by the '08, not by the looks though. My wife and I are car searching. Looked at other Honda models, Toyotas, Subaru. Want to look at a Mazda3 5 door yet. Finally tried the '08 XB today. I like it, they are practicle. Roomy, utilitartian. Economical to buy and operate.
    They had a blackberry crush we very likely would have bought today until they mentioned our trade in value. Lets just say it was half the Kelly blue book listed price. We left.
    Can you do better on an internet search? I could try to sell my trade in privately.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    whats your trade? big gas guzzlesr are hurting at trade in right now book value this month is a lot less that what it wass last month
  • debatingdebating Member Posts: 14
    It's a Maxima, premium is the biggest hit against it. Doesn't do bad on the highway, in town another matter.
  • lspringerlspringer Member Posts: 1
    My only complaints: :confuse:

-Flap at the bottom of the back seat (when folded down) makes it difficult to slide large cargo in without lifting it a bit at that point so it doesn't get caught.
    -Window ledge way to high to rest arm on comfortably, door ledge too low.
    -The scrolling takes forever on the Pioneer radio's iPod feature.
    -Very small center mirror (says my fiance, but I have no real problem with it)
    -No passenger arm rest.
    -Seat not very raiseable
    -At least one back window must be open when the front ones are or there's an extremely annoying vibration sound.. If there are any bags in the back though, I obviously can't open the back windows without there being the swooshing/crinkling sound of shopping bags.

Praise! :blush:
    -Copious amounts of cup holders
    -Outer trunk button
    -Very quick car cool down for a black/black wagon in Florida summer heat
    -Ipod and aux collecters
    -Pioneer Radio
    -Stereo system
    -High quality standard subs
    -First Aid kit comes with car
    -Overall outer and inner design
    -Lots of space
    -Drives smoothly; good mileage
    -Very strong exterior... I was already rear-ended at a stop sign by a woman whose "foot slipped off the breaks, oops".. But when the car was looked over, not a scratch of paint or a dent.. Excellent! :D

In conclusion, my complaints are pretty minor except for the window vibration... I love the car and greatly enjoy it though. I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market. I'm going to enjoy customizing it as well. Car gets a 9/10 for the window problem, but everything else makes up for that. :)
  • kelmackkelmack Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 2009 Stingray Metallic XB. I was coming from a Suburban which I have driven since 2001. I had planned to drive it till it died, since it was paid off. I totalled the vehicle a few weeks ago, therefore I had to find a car quick. I did lots of research on the XB and it is a winner! I love this car. I have very long legs and it has tons of leg room, lay those seats down, and I have hauling capacity. Great gas mileage!! coming from about 15mpg with the suburban. I added the spoiler, and leather and I am very please. I agree about not having a passenger arm rest. That is kind of a weird thing to leave off? But other than that, I love this car and plan to drive it for a long time. :)
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I was looking at the rear wiper on my wife's new xB the other day and notice it's not possible to pull it back enough to take the blade off. I did some cursory search on Google and on one of the Scion bulletin boards someone mentioning that this is a dealer job. Are you kidding me? There's nothing in the owner's manual about replacement of the wiper blades. The windshield blades look different than what I'm used to, but it looks like it can be done. Anyone have any experience replacing both the front and rear blades?
  • dishbrkrdishbrkr Member Posts: 2
    I too just bought a 2009 Stingray Metallic xb. I traded a 2006 Ford Freestyle that had lots of room, but the 22 mpg at $4.00 per gallon hurts when you live in a rural area and it is 20 miles one way to anywhere! I wanted a 4 door hatchback to suit our lifestyle, so I test drove the Nissan Versa, Chevy HHR and only sat in a Honda Fit (felt like a shoebox!) The Scion won me over hands down...plenty of room in there! I figure I traded off a few miles per gallon over the Versa, but it seems well worth it to get the extra room. My Toyota dealer gave me a great trade-in on the Ford...well over Kelly Blue Book. I am on my 3rd tank of gas, and the mpg are increasing...now up to 28, mostly highway. I'm just glad I am the primary driver so I don't have to sit in the passenger seat and try to decide what to do with my left arm! REALLY needs to have an armrest! Other than that, it is a nice car and fun to drive...and I will really like the gas mileage!
  • tdelanetdelane Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2009 XB auto. We love it. Best around town car I have seen. Love the instrument panel. The digital speedo is very easy to see in the bright Az sun.

Very roomy, I am 6-2. My granddaughter has a 2008 XB manual (I can't see any difference) and she loves it. I was amazed how much room the back seats had. So when our 200K miles 93 Mitsy died, We decided to buy the XB.

We are getting 25mpg in town and it is going up as engine breaks in. Haven't been on freeway yet, want the engine broke in first. We use the big car (MPV) for freeway.

We also, bought a super duper alarm/disable system. The XB is popular with car thieves in Phoenix. Bought the car from Larry Miller Toyota on Bell road and the 101west. Good deal and good service. Highly recommend Larry Miller. This my second car from Larry.
This discussion has been closed.