Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• Hi ..you all out there! :lemon:
    I have been offered to change to a new set of tires Continental Eco or Pirelli P3000 or Pirelli 400 (all selling at roughly the same price)
    I have previousy used Goodyear NCT and Dunlop 702, which have mediocre grip performance in the wet according to the tire dealer when compared to Continental or Pirelli's offering.

Can anyone out there relate their personal experience...please. Any help will be welcome.
    To me, longevity is not a priority but having good grip definitely is! :confuse:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,295
    Since this is a Volvo discussion, you really should repost in the Toyota Camry - Tires and Wheels discussion. :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• tedr2tedr2 Posts: 2
    We have the Michelins and we just past 30k and all have to be replaced not too bad but a bit less than i would like
  • tedr2tedr2 Posts: 2
    same prob here heavy front tire wear
  • zeenzeen Posts: 391
    My OEM Michelins lasted about 25,000 miles. Just got these Kumho's Price was under $100 per tire. They are H rated with very good temp and mileage ratings.
    They are very smooth and great in wet weather. From my research, they seem to be pretty good in snow although they are certainly more of an all season tire.
    Best deal was at treadepot.com
  • Replaced rear tires with some Yokohamas recommended by Discount Tire. Michelins on front and the Yokos on the back. Both sets have 50 to 60K mileage ratings. 16,200 miles on odometer. We looked at the tires and the wear was even all around the tires.

Sent email to Volvo with letters to Volvo NJ and the dealership. I have heard nothing. I called the tires defective and a hazard to all Volvo owners. Salesman at the dealership basically acknowledged that the Scorpions have caused some problems with his customers. Some recent customers have bought the XC 90 but demanded a different set of tires
    My OEM Michelins lasted about 25,000 miles. Just got Kumho Solus'. Price was under $100 per tire. They are H rated with very good temp and mileage ratings and seem to grip well in wet weather. From my research, they seem to be pretty good in snow although they are certainly more of an all season tire.
    Best deal was at treadepot.com
    Based on these posts, it seems like 25,000 is the most you can expect for tires on this vehicle
  • I have gone through 2 sets of Mich2356018 tires, one set of Pirelli Scorpion tires and am now on a Bridgestone. The first set of Michelin's had unusual tire wear in the front- Volvo replaced the front tires, tie rod, angle gear, front ball joints all under warranty(18,000 miles). I purchased new rear tires at the same time. Next set lasted 25,000 miles, Pirelli's lasted 25,000 miles. Also several wheel hub kits, sway bars, tie rod repairs. I believe it is the car design and not the tires.
  • jccai1jccai1 Posts: 106
    Do you have the 17" or 18" rims? I don't think this tire is available in 235/60R18.
  • rkvrkv Posts: 8
    The Kumho Ecsta STX is available in a 255/55VR18 and has a load factor which is more suitable to an XC90.
  • jtlajtla Posts: 375
    We have a 2005 XC90 2.5T AWD with 17" wheels. Replaced the stock Pirelli Scorpions with Yokohama Geolander at 22,000 miles in October. So far, after 3,000 miles, we are very satisfied with these Yokohama tires. The ride is smooth, much more quiet than Pirelli. It has 108H load rating, so it should handle XC90's weight better. I will recommend them to any XC90 owner unhappy with the Pirelli.
  • Agree it is car design... Also had original Michelins that needed replacing under 30k miles. New ones looking thin at 16k... My cousin has experienced the same deal...
    I have the 17's
    Does anyone have any experience with upsizing to 255/55R18 on the XC90?

At $1000 to put on another set of these Michelins, knowing they would not last 2 yrs. I've never upsized on any of the cars I owned before, so I'm a bit concerned about the possible down side.

Thanks for any advice!
  • See my posting 3 and 4 of this thread. I am still very happy with Conties. They live up to their promised 65K.
    They look almost like new after 20K miles.
  • Sweet, gimme some new wheels.. i would be so happy :D
  • Update. Got call from Volvo NA saying"if you haven't replaced your tires, we can offer you a pro-rated replacement on some better Pirellis." Uh, no thank you.

Dealership (Demontrond) left me a message. No interest in hearing them offer me the same thing.
  • We have done the same on our '05 XC90 and ditched the Pirelli's. Our dealership replaced 2 tires at 12K as they couldn't deny how bad the tires were wearing out. After 25K I decided to get rid of the Pirelli's and go to the Yokohamas. So far so good.
  • rashidirashidi Posts: 18
    Short Version;
    Went to indenpendent shop and they filled the steering fluid. I haven't heard the suspension noise for 2 days now!

Long Version;
    Took my XC90 V8 2005 for 30k service at Volvo dealer. Also showed them the consistent groaning noise from suspension at low speeds, especially when pulling into a parking spot.
    They gave the car back with "no problems found" and quote of $600+ for front rotors and pads.
    I took my XC90 to an indepentdent shop across the dealer that specializes in Volvo. I dropped the car off at 12noon and 4pm got a call everything done. Brakes replaced @ $370 (volvo parts) and suspension noise resolved by filling steering fluid which was below minimum.

I was shocked that the dealer completed my 30k and sent me off with below minimum steering fluid and even more shocked I haven't heard the suspension noise for 2 days! It was really annoying the heck out of me.

Any suggestions for actions against the dealer for doing a 30k service with low steering fluid? At a minimum they are offering to refund the $30.

I still need to spend $900 for 4 tires @30k for new michelins... costco had the best price. Any suggestions for making the dealer pay for the one tire the is bald on the edge, when the other tires still have some life?

Thanks
  • rexbluerexblue Posts: 1
    Had to take my XC90 to the dealer because my front and rear tires were dead. They replaced the complete set and I had to pay $188. This was done at 16000 miles. Now it has 31000 and the front tires are completely gone. Up to the point that we do not drive it if there is a slight chance of rain.
    This is not what I expected fron a Volvo XC90 2005. SAFETY advertisement and history of Volvo cars was what made me buy one as a family car.

Ahhh and I had to wait over a month to get the second set of tires. Now I will not wait again, I will buy new set of tires but will start researching as I am doing now for possible actions.

If they (Volvo or Pirelli) know there is a problem here, then a solution should be out there now. I can't afford to put my family at risk because some company is not being honest.

Will keep you posted!
  • gdclnfngdclnfn Posts: 3
    I just had my 15K service done on my '06 XC90 2.5T. Shocker, the tires needed replacing. Wear is even, but tires are bald. Dealer called and said that Pirelli would replace the Scorpions with Pirelli STR's for no charge. The caveat is that I will have to pay the dealer $120 for an alignment. Yes, I'm happy that Volvo and Pirelli recognize their tires are not suitable for this vehicle, however, I don't feel as I should be required to pay for an alignment on a vehicle with only 15K miles. Am I wrong for feeling this way?
  • nelaconelaco Posts: 3
    I had my tires replaced under warranty and I did not get charged for alignment nor installation/balancing. Go to a different dealer or better yet, call Volvo directly.

Nelson
    It's been a while since any new postings here. Any opinions on this GY tire? I noticed it on TireRack and it's one of the few all-season tires available in 235/60R18. Much cheaper than the Michelin. Load factor is compatible with the XC90, too. Customer comments on TireRack seem mostly positive, but all of them seem to drive sedans. Just curious what XC90 owners think.
    I posted this question on the other tire thread also. Just wondering what people think of this tire.

I saw this tire on TireRack. It's V-rated with a load index compatible with the XC90. It's all-season touring, with AAA rating and a tread wear index higher than that of the Michelin. And it's available in 235/60R18. I didn't see any comments on this tire from any mid-size SUV owners on TireRack. Most sedan drivers praised this tire.

I don't usually like GY tires, but at $144, it's much more affordable than the $217 Michelin, which won't last more than 25k miles.
  • 44ad44ad Posts: 12
    I've now had this happen with two different XC90's. Our 2005 T6 (replaced 10/06 under CA lemon law due to untraceable electrical drain problem)needed new tires because of bad outside wear at front at about 12,000 miles. I paid 25% of cost, Volvo paid 75% that time (and those were Michelin's, not the Pirellis). Our 2007 V8 (otherwise a much better car than the 05 T6), had the right front wear show up at 7,500 miles, also Michelin's. First dealer blew me off entirely, so as soon as I have time I'm headed back to dealer who did the 7500 service (at about 6,200 miles, no problem reported then) and who took care of me on the other car. Either way, I'll need four new tires due to tread depth differential.

Having had it happen on two different cars, I'm convinced that even by the tire-eating standards of most SUV's this is a design defect. Volvo should own up to it and provide free tire replacement at least up to MFG warranty point, and better yet, for life of vehicle.
  • rman75rman75 Posts: 1
    I too, have experienced bearing problems and tire wear. My 2005, V8 XC90 has now had the 2nd set of wheel bearings replaced. After the first set, I knew the telltale sign was the sound of driving on snow tires. And one of my 4 tires (Michelin's) has severe tread wear in the center. Another tire is not quite as bad, and the other two are Ok.

So now it seems my two year old car, with 46,000 miles should be quickly dumped before I have more trouble. How do we all band together so that Volvo supports us?
  • I have the same problem with the Michelins on my wifes XC90 with only 12,000 miles. Was yours our anyone out there replaced for free (Warranty).
    My dealership (Volvoville LI) will not honor any waranty on the tires and they say I have to pay for them?? That is ridiculous I bought this vehicle for my wife to drive our children in because of it's outstanding safety record. My Volvo dealership say's: the way the tread on my Michelins is worn is because they are improperly inflated maintained?? BS
    Someone have any advice?

Thanks

Frank
  • I recently hit a pothole and subsequently had the car checked out. They could not find anything wrong with the car but when I drive the car, the front left tire seems to be very noisy. it makes a sound as if the rim is warped. The car does not pull to any side and the steering is still very stable. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Are you noticing any loss of air pressure in the front left tire?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have not experienced any loss in tire pressure.