Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• rashidirashidi Posts: 18
    2005 XC90 V8 w/ michelins -- 22k miles -- uneven tire wear on outer edges.

Volvo Customer service can be reached at 800-458-1522. Please call to complain, maybe something will get corrected. The lady said Volvo definitely would like to hear from disatisfied owners.

I had the regional Volvo rep look at my '05 V8 XC90 twice because of my tire complaints. There have been four alignments in one year, but uneven wear continues. I will end up spending ~$1000 for michelins + alignment within 1.5years of owning the vehicle. That's $55/month just for tires!

I love the vehicle, however, the excessive tire wear (bald on outer edges, front tires) is unacceptable.
  • The right number for Volvo is 800-458-1552.
    Pirelli contacted me regarding this issue. My car has 25.5k miles so they'll give me 50% prorate. I am not sure what they are replacing them with nor how much will be out of pocket. I'll update once it is all done.

Nelson
  • If you learn anything, let us know. Volvo hasn't fessed up to the many of us with the same issue. I am on my second set of tires and 4 alignments later with excessive outer edge wear on two different sets of Pirelli tires. I know it is not the driver since prior vehicles and SUVs have never had this happen. The car is driven at low speeds around town (averages 20mph) by a mom with two kids in the car. My solution is going to be simple. Sell the Volvo and buy the Audi Q7. This will be my last Volvo for awhile.
  • OK, I just picked up my XC90 from the dealership. They replaced all 4 tires with new Pirelli Scorpion Zero. Out of pocket AFTER the 50% prorate....$488!!!!! What a rip off. I don't even know why I did it. I had already bought 4 Bridgestones for $560 from tire rack plus about $100 to get them installed. Now I am going to return them so my savings are minimal. I'll keep a close eye on these ones. They also did the 2 recalls. We love the car and now with the new tires it feels great again, but they have to do better than this to keep us buying back from them. Good luck all!
  • rkvrkv Posts: 8
    I have been thinking of upsizing from stock 235/60-18 to 255/55-18 as you appear to have done. My dealer, of course, has recommended against this and warned of adverse handling characteristics and transmission issues with XC90's. I have generally been happier with such upsizing on other vehicles I own. I see one post from someone who appears to have done this. Anyone else have any experience with changing the width and profile of the stock tire?

My leading candidates for tires are Blizzak LM-25 4x4, Nokian WR SUV, and Kumho ECSTA STX for summer.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    the only issue you may have is rubbing in the wheel wells, but even that is doubtful.
  • guyfguyf Posts: 456
    Well we have our first storm this year. Icing rain, sleet, snow. The Wr's are excellent considering they are a 4 season tire. Much much better than the original Michelin Synchrone and as good as the Pirelli Winter tires I had on the last 2 winters.
    I went with Nokian WR 255/55R18. They are far superior to the Continental OEM tires. They are a bit harder than the stock tires but this improves steering response and ride. With respect to ride comfort you feel some smaller things but they are much better on larger bumps, road surface seams and directional stability than the OEM Continental tire. No issues with the larger tire size except at full wheel lock turn. I've noticed that the XC90 sport will have 255/50R19's, so I will probably go with those and new wheels as my summer tire. I have run Pirelli Scorpions and Yokohama AVS on my other SUV and like the Nokian WR better though it is a different type of tire. Lastly, the wet traction of the WR is quite impressive. I strongly recommend for cold wet winters. No heavy snow experience but suspect a dedicated snow such as Blizzak or other Nokian is likely to be better in heavy snow.

Thanks to those in this forum who pointed the Nokian WR out to me. I hadn't looked at it until I ran across it here.
  • Update. Had front tires replace in early November with Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. Odometer at a whopping 14,600 miles. My daughter's best friend's father is a manager at discount tire. He did not have kind things to say about the Pirelli Scorpions. Will probably replace the rear tires after Xmas.

I just can't believe an SUV with a $40K sticker has tires that won't even last 16,000 miles.

It will be a cold day in ____ before I ever buy a car with Pirelli tires on it.
  • Had the same problem at 55k and 6 months left on my lease. I'm not happy with the $900 repair bill along with the news that the vehicle is ready for its 3rd brake job. Also replaced tires at 25k. Can't wait to get rid of it.
  • Hi ..you all out there! :lemon:
    I have been offered to change to a new set of tires Continental Eco or Pirelli P3000 or Pirelli 400 (all selling at roughly the same price)
    I have previousy used Goodyear NCT and Dunlop 702, which have mediocre grip performance in the wet according to the tire dealer when compared to Continental or Pirelli's offering.

Can anyone out there relate their personal experience...please. Any help will be welcome.
    To me, longevity is not a priority but having good grip definitely is! :confuse:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Since this is a Volvo discussion, you really should repost in the Toyota Camry - Tires and Wheels discussion. :shades:
  • tedr2tedr2 Posts: 2
    We have the Michelins and we just past 30k and all have to be replaced not too bad but a bit less than i would like
  • tedr2tedr2 Posts: 2
    same prob here heavy front tire wear
  • zeenzeen Posts: 390
    My OEM Michelins lasted about 25,000 miles. Just got these Kumho's Price was under $100 per tire. They are H rated with very good temp and mileage ratings.
    They are very smooth and great in wet weather. From my research, they seem to be pretty good in snow although they are certainly more of an all season tire.
    Best deal was at treadepot.com
  • Replaced rear tires with some Yokohamas recommended by Discount Tire. Michelins on front and the Yokos on the back. Both sets have 50 to 60K mileage ratings. 16,200 miles on odometer. We looked at the tires and the wear was even all around the tires.

Sent email to Volvo with letters to Volvo NJ and the dealership. I have heard nothing. I called the tires defective and a hazard to all Volvo owners. Salesman at the dealership basically acknowledged that the Scorpions have caused some problems with his customers. Some recent customers have bought the XC 90 but demanded a different set of tires
  • zeenzeen Posts: 390
    My OEM Michelins lasted about 25,000 miles. Just got Kumho Solus'. Price was under $100 per tire. They are H rated with very good temp and mileage ratings and seem to grip well in wet weather. From my research, they seem to be pretty good in snow although they are certainly more of an all season tire.
    Best deal was at treadepot.com
    Based on these posts, it seems like 25,000 is the most you can expect for tires on this vehicle
  • I have gone through 2 sets of Mich2356018 tires, one set of Pirelli Scorpion tires and am now on a Bridgestone. The first set of Michelin's had unusual tire wear in the front- Volvo replaced the front tires, tie rod, angle gear, front ball joints all under warranty(18,000 miles). I purchased new rear tires at the same time. Next set lasted 25,000 miles, Pirelli's lasted 25,000 miles. Also several wheel hub kits, sway bars, tie rod repairs. I believe it is the car design and not the tires.
  • jccai1jccai1 Posts: 103
    Do you have the 17" or 18" rims? I don't think this tire is available in 235/60R18.
    The Kumho Ecsta STX is available in a 255/55VR18 and has a load factor which is more suitable to an XC90.