Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Kia Rio Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• rtimbortimbo Posts: 24
    It was $7740 out the door including tax & license. Believe me we feel very lucky as people were camped out at the dealer overnight to get this deal. When the dealer opened his doors at 8 AM it became a mad house. After a heated discussion with the sales manager and the gathered throng/mob it came down to a drawing of numbers from a basket to determine who who get the 1-only deal. I was fortunate enough to draw the number one which allowed me the get the Rio at the advertised price. Needless to say, there were several dissappointed would-be buyers. I felt badly for them since they had waited so long for the opportunity and I had only been there since 7:50 AM, but not badly enough to give up, as you so aptly put it, the DEAL OF THE CENTURY. The sales manager said that, as far as he was concerned, any customer who is at his door when he opens, can buy the sale vehicle.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Interesting approach by the sales manager. I would think a first-come, first-served approach would be more fair. Oh well. I suppose you realize you could turn around and sell that car and make a few thousand bucks profit?
  • rtimbortimbo Posts: 24
    With respect fist-come, first served, the sales manager's position was that he was not there all night, so could not, therefore, determine who had been there first. His solution was a compromise at best

Our thoughts are, rather than sell the car right away and pocket some quick cash(we are enjoying it too much for that), we could easily drive it for a few years and then sell it for what we originally paid.
  • Bought an 05 Cinco wagon last night, came home and started doing research, I know, do the research first. Every article I found rated the Kia at the bottom of the vehicle evolutionary chart for dependability and reliability (that's redundant and repeats itself). Went back to the dealer & tried to return it, they told me I was stuck with it. After reading these posts I feel a bit better since so far everyone seems to love theirs. My question is: Does anyone out there agree with these articles that these cars are junk?
  • the car is great. it really will run longer than you will live. but the reason why kia is SO low on the charts is because of the materials used and the design.
    face it, the Kia Rio has always had something about it which is a decade behind the competition.
    for the first generation the interior was horrible. comfortable, but horrible. the layout was equal to a 1993 dodge shadow, and honestly the shadow didn't feel cheap. now, when it comes to reliabillity. kia is the first to here of any problems about thier cars. just as toyota, Nissan/Datsun, and Honda did in the 80s. the spectra was a very bad vehicle during its frist generation, but now look at it. it is a CR best buy. and before the spectra, we had the Sephia, and OMG, does anyone else remember the bashing that car recieved. its dateline or 20/20 special on brake failure? the sephia moves up market and became the spectra. the rio filled the hole not having the sephia created. and now...
    even the rio is moving up market! i love the rio. i love kia!!! (except the spectra & sorento, i could never stand them) but the kia rio is still 10 years behind the competition. the new honda fit comes with electric paddle switches for its manual. the Toyota yaris is fast, roomier, and handles better than the rio, plus it is $3,500 cheaper! yes, the rio used to be the cheapest car sold in the states, but the yaris and aveo both beat the rio silly. now kia has vastly improved the interior of the rio. and it may still be an econ-box. but, its twn brother the hyundai accent is getting worse reviews, but more attention.
    i am so proud of kia for all of its achievements in the past few years but the rio is still behind the competition, and it's no longer super cheap. suzuki has three cars cheaper than the rio. toyota has the yaris, honda the fit. nissan the versa (the versa is the worst vehicle i have ever driven TRUST ME). and chevy has the daewoo built aveo. rio is merely a small car with an eco-box heritage. like the civic, corolla, sentra, lancer, heck even the impreza.
    if the price were to come back down, keeping its current options, and maybe adding a sunroof, leather (in the future), and a better stereo. younger buyers will actually consider the rio. also if production wre to be boosted a bit it would help get the name out more. here in iowa we have 100 sedonas for every rio.
    likei said before, i love kia, and the rio cinco, or rio5 as iit is now called still rock. but it still isn't up to par with the rest.
    oh-yeah, and it would help if kia were to get that god awful black plastic body cladding off it. MAN! that irritates the crap out of me. and is honestly the only reason i refuse to get one. i'm considering a reno, or even a used mitsu lancer sportback before i get close to that black cladding.
    seriously! it fades in two years becoming a permenant eye-sore. not to mention. that was SO 1997. and even the cavalier knew it had to stop with the cladding back then.
    from,
    --Rob.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Posts: 654
    What sells Kia (at least for me when I bought my 2004 Rio Cinco)is the 10/100,00 mile warrenty. I have yet had a need to use it at 32,000 miles. I agree about the black molding...on mine it's body colored. I wonder if it could be painted.
    I have to admit I am attracted to the 2007 styling of the Aveo...but that center dash display has got to go. The Yaris is not for me period.
  • if you were to paint the black plastic cladding it would be out of pocket. i believe the rio cinco never had any black cladding. however, there are no trim options currently available to rid the rio5 of the cladding.
    and a heads up on the warranty, in case you ever upgrade, or get another kia, the full 10-year/100,000 mile deal is only if you buy the car straight up brand new. it isn't transferable. also, that is the same warranty hyundai offers (because it is their warranty originally; kia started with only a 3-year/30,000 mile, remember the sephia and first generation sportage? kia only offered that when it was bought out by hyundai).
    non-transferable warranties, may only be if it is bought used at a dealership, it might be different if from a private owner. and vice versa. however! Suzuki has a fully transferable warranty at 7-year/70,000 miles, and isuzu i think is at 9-year/90,000, again fully transferable regardless of how many owners.
    a couple of my friends were trapped with only the original 36,000 mile/3-year warranty when they bought a sedona and an amanti both at less than 20,000 miles and only one owner. :mad:
    if you were to paint the black plastic cladding it would be out of pocket.

Yes, I know it would be out of pocket. When I first saw it on the '06 I was wondering what were they thinking! :confuse:

the full 10-year/100,000 mile deal is only if you buy the car straight up brand new. it isn't transferable

The full warrenty is not transferable. However the REMAINDER or the 10/100,000 is. I am sure about this as my mom bought a low mileage '05 Rio sedan and it was transferred.
  • misriemisrie Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 06 rio sedan. ( HAd a jeep wrangler for years) due to long comute to work wanted to save gas $$. I bought the car for the price and warrenty. I didn't like itat all , it was just transportation. I come find I really love this little car! However, Does anyone else feel it is sloppy in the rain? I have driven front wheel cars before but this one really doesn't feel good to me. I scared thinking about my travel in the snow! Any advice?
    I know it's a different year model, but I have a 04 Rio Cinco and to me it doesn't feel any different in the rain.

My 04 Cinco is my second...first one an 02 Cinco and yes you do tend to become very fond of them. So fond in fact I couldn't let go of my '02!
  • mwrobe1mwrobe1 Posts: 7
    What do you mean by "Does anyone else feel it is sloppy in the rain?" I feel like mine is more stable in rain/snow than any car I've owned so far.
  • misriemisrie Posts: 4
    I could very well be me. It may be that I'm used to my wrangler that was heavier. It just feels that it feels like it slides in the rain. If its the way it is then I'll deal. Other then that I really am suprised that i've come to love this little car. I get 38 mpg as opposed to 15 that i got with the wrangler which made me sell it since i drve over 100 miles per day. couldn't afford the gas
  • riomikeriomike Posts: 39
    Check the air in your tires, could be they are low and thats why it feels s bit off in the rain. I had an Optima before and my Rio5 feels just as stable in the rain as the Optima which is a much heavier car.
  • srubiosrubio Posts: 6
    Only the 5/60,000 Limited Basic is transferable. I am a Kia Salesman and thats the only warranty that is transferable.
    When I saw your post I called and talked to the owner of my Kia dealer and he disagrees with you. He said it's a common mistake among salesmen.
  • cinmeg5cinmeg5 Posts: 1
    I just bought a rio5, and I just love this little car. Drives nice and easy. I have only had it two weeks and haven't had a chance to try it out during bad weather.
  • my kia went in 3 foot of water in march but poor Chevrolet camaro got push by the cop car cause it went in it and it got stuck
  • Has anyone else had a lot of mechanical problems with an 06 Kia Rio? I've had mine in the shop nonstop for various reasons: transmission, the power cuts out while driving, power steering, etc. The worst car dealer in the world, Jerry Smith Kia in Skagit and Whatcom county, WA, refuses to work on it anymore. They have yet to take any responsibilty for a poorly made car. I'm hoping that if other have had similar problems, we can work together to get Kia to take responsibility.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,083
    Talk with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America about building the Kia brand in the U.S. Get exclusive takes from an industry leader about Kia's quality, safety, product development and globalization in the automotive marketplace.

Don't miss your chance to chat with Ian Beavis, a veteran in the automotive industry the inside questions you want to know.

Please join us for this live chat with Ian Beavis – Vice President of Marketing of Kia Motors of America tonight from 6-7pm PT, 9-10pm ET

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bigbudbigbud Posts: 1
    Had mine for just over a year, totally reliable and economical. Changed to Castrol Syntec oil recently. On starting up with Syntec I thought the engine had stalled.....it was so quiet. I turned the key and heard the starter pinion clatter against the ring gear as the engine was already running....I should have checked the tachometer. Changed the cabin air filter at 10000 miles.....it's behind the glove box and even my local dealer did'nt know it was there! They had a problem getting it as the part number in their system was incorrect. Only gripe....no Diesel version available in the U.S. The Diesel is awesome.....look it up on Yahoo.co.uk.
  • I'm having a problem each time I allow the pump to shut down when refueling. The pump shuts down, and splashes gas over the handle, my hand, and the fender and wheel.

I also don't know if I have a fuel low warning device, it's suppose to come on at 1.5 gallons left, but I've never seen it and don't know that it's really there. It doesn't light us as the other warning lights do. And the service department head at Gettle Kia in Bradenton Florida insists that it's there. And it will turn orange and blink too when I'm low on fuel. It's i the book too, but says it will light up on turning to the first position on the key. Anyone can help, much thanks, regards, Paul
  • cc51cc51 Posts: 1
    Its 2010...but was looking at a few 2009 "brand new cars".
    There are still many on the lots.

In particular a Kio Rio SX 2009 with ABS.

What is the best way to get the best price on this car and how does the 1.5 years effect the pricing?

Edmunds considers a 2009 in Used when I look up their pricing. I type in 0 (or 12 actually) miles for the mileage.

Another incentive on these 2009's was a cash discount, but they told me its either a cash discount or the low interest rate loan.

I've done some homework, and the price seems to align to Edmunds Pricing calculator, but this 2009 new car , in 2010 is a first for me.

Any inputs appreciated!
  • I haven't had too many problems with my 06 Kia until recently. My airbag warning light came on so I took it in. They say it's a seatbelt part that needs to be replaced & low voltage on the battery. They quote me something like $160 for the battery so I only have them fix the seatbelt, which is under warranty. I take the car to O'Reilly's and get a new battery installed. The airbag light never goes away so I take the car back in to get it checked out. Now they are saying it's a whole new issue & supposedly O'Reilly's installed the battery wrong & short circuited the computer. They quoted me $800 to fix it because of course my warranty ran out in between & they blame the issue on an "outside source". Anyone know if this is even possible? The whole thing seems fishy to me...
  • phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    First of all, your Kia Dealer gave you a pant load of doo-doo with that crap about a faulty seatbelt part. My 2006 Kia Rio5 has the same airbag indictor problem TWICE! Both times it was a Airbag Sensor located in the bottom seat cushion. Both the drivers side and passenger side failed 4 years apart. Both were covered under the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty but in both cases, the entire bottom seat cushion needed to be replaced because the sensor is built into it and is not a separate part. My new 2012 Kia Rio5 just 3 months old with hardly 2000 miles driven just had the Airbag indicator stay on again. This time they had to replace the entire passenger side Airbag Curtain. Something odd about the Rio and its faulty Airbag systems. You don`t want to know what it would cost if the vehicle was no longer under warranty.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    This board is dead. Is there no one who has bought a new 2012 Rio 5? It is among the three finalists for me (Fit and Yaris). I can't find a reason to remove the Rio from my list other than the less than stellar rear window visibility. I'm also disappointed that the rear headrests don't fold down out of the way, but I can easily remove them for better visibility. Come on... how about some action here.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    unfortunately this forum is not very active due to its very poor and outdated format. Can't give you a link due to the forum requirements.

However, what feedback are you looking for if you have narrowed it to three models, try them all out and decide for yourself.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Since it sounds like you had a Maxx, I'm responding, even though I'm sure you pulled the trigger on your purchase months ago.

I gave my Maxx to my daughter (actually sold it to her at about 1/3 the normal price) after her car unexpectedly died. Had hoped to get either the new Kia, Hyundai or Chrysler 100 compact hatches when they came out during the next year. Also would have looked at the Buick Encore. Fit (which I drove) and Sonic were also on my short list. Was waiting for more Sonic turbos to be available.

I bought a dark blue 5 door EX (something that's not even supposed to be available). Back up camera, power folding mirrors, etc. Much nicer interior than the Fit IMO although (obviously) less space.

Took it on a 2000+ plus trip last week and found it to be as good a road car as my Maxx (which was a favorite), more comfortable for long drives than an 07 Optima that I owned. Got 33 mpg in mostly highway (though some city) driving, with five tanks over 35 mpg. Best tank 37.89 mpg. Not bad considering the 100 degree plus temperatures and constant A/C use.

Missed the Maxx's low end power-- if the Rio isn't reving it can be pretty dead. Think I'll like this car. Lots of kit for the $$$. Excellent build quality. Very composed for a sub-compact. Six hundred mile daily drives without undue tiredness-- not bad for a 67 year old. Car looks great IMO.
  • Purchased my 2012 RIO 5 LX (with auto tx) last January and since then I put nearly 16,000 miles on it, including a cross-country trip, often at 70mph. Also a lot of city driving. So far the vehicle has performed as advertised and I've had zero problems. Been very impressed with the overall quality (particularly since it's on the low end of the price scale) and how quiet it is at highway speeds. The ride was a bit stiff at first (for my taste) but soften up adequately after a few thousand miles. The car did achieve the touted gas mileage. Historically I've had larger cars, and this is my first subcompact and first Kia. It deserves high marks across the board in my opinion.
  • aertaert Posts: 3
    Just purchased a '13 Rio hatchback the EX + Convenience Pkge . . . was what we wanted , but ended up with the demonstrator - 400 mi on clock + ECO Stop&Go + electric mirror + mats, wheel locks, etc. $17.4 seemed to good a deal to pass up. Kansas City. (300 of those miles were a transfer from another dealer - rather than tire-kickers, and its been on the dealers lot for 4 months.)

So far so good! Now bear in mind the old drive was 91 Jeep - reliable but getting to rusty. Clearly the Rio AVO package is too intelligent for us, but we're learning.

I'm not a total fan of the Stop&Go . . . my mechanical mind says just one more thing to go wrong - but I can see there are times (like a lot of stop/go traffic light driving - with long waits for the green) where it would be good - but when its lots of Stop signs (where , ah, one stops, looks, and then goes) that it would be engine stop and then almost immediately restart, and that I don't like. Wish the On/Off switch would remember the last setting, rather than having to turn it Off each time I get in .

Only done 100mi so far - so actual mpg is unknown. However - clearly it will be better than the 16mpg of the jeep and one must remember there is a direct connection between mpg and the use of the right foot!!

ONE PROBLEM : When you press the key to lock the car - on the 2nd press the horn toots. How do you turn that toot off? The manual does not seem to address this. (our 05 Town&Country had the same, and it could, and is, turned off)

AERT
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    don't press it twice, it locks on the first press, that's just a reminder that its happened - does the same on my Soul. See page 4/8 in your owners manual.