Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona Brakes

Comments

• I RECENTLY BOUGHT A NEW 07 SEDONA TO TOTE AROUND MY 4 KIDS, INCLUDING MY NEWBORN. AFTER PUTTING ONLY 5000 MILES ON IT I NOTICED SEVERE SHAKING AND GRINDING WHILE APPLYING THE BRAKES IN TURNS, ON HILLS, OR JUST AFTER LONG DRIVES. I TOOK THE VEHICLE IN AND THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM SO THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR AS IF I WAS A LIAR. THE TECH TOLD ME THAT THE SEDONAS HAVE SMALL ROTORS THAT OVERHEAT EASILY BECAUSE THE VANS ARE HEAVY. HE SAID I COULD PAY TO UPGRADE TO BETTER ONES IF I AGREED TO PAY. YEAH RIGHT, IF KIA KNOWS THE ROTORS ARE TO SMALL AND THE VAN IS TOO HEAVY THEY SHOULD PAY AND FIX IT THEMSELVES AND NOT RISK MY FAMILY OR THE LIVES OF ANYONE ELSE BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP. I HAVE TAKEN MY KIA BACK 3 TIMES TO BE SENT AWAY WITHOUT THEM EVEN LOOKING AT IT AGAIN AND ALSO CALLED THE MAIN OFFICE TO COMPLAIN AND FINALLY TALKING TO THE MANAGER OF THE DEALERSHIP TO MEET HIM AND BE TOLD THE WEATHER WAS BAD AND THE ROTORS WILL NOT HEAT UP IN THE RAIN SO GO HOME AND COME BACK ANOTHER DAY. WELL OK GUY, IF YOU KNOW ITS THE ROTORS, AND YOU KNOW THEY ARE HEATING UP, FIX IT WILL YOU??? SO ANYWAY HERE I AM ABOUT A YEAR INTO THE VAN AND STILL THE SAME PROBLEM AND NO HELP??? WHY HAVENT WE HAD A CLASS ACTION??WHY ISNT THERE A SAFETY RECALL?? WHY HASNT SOMEONE STEPPED IN AND FOUND THIS TO BE A REALLY HORRIBLE ISSUE BEING IT HAS HAPPENED TO SO MANY PEOPLE???? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS???I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THIS HUNK OF JUNK $22,000 AND ITS WORTH ABOUT $10,000 ONCE YOU TAKE IT OFF THE LOT... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • I would call the attorney general for your state. Don't know if there is an American Brake business in your town. They fixed the brakes on my 2004 Kia and are reasonable. Be sure to get a statement from them as to what was wrong. File a grieveance with Kia and also send this info to the attorney general. I have had alot of problems with my Kia and will never buy another product from Kia. If you read all the forums I don't think to many people are happy with ant Kia automobiles.
  • I can tell you one thing: I invested in the drilled rotors and premium pds from R1Concepts. The best money I've spent okay? I haven't heard a squeal since and my breaks work great. I think they need that extra ventilation the drilled rotors provide. I am not saying is ok to spend 500$ on new rotors, but at least I have peace of mind and I enjoy my van, after having issues myself with squealing and ABS activation. Somebody on this site recommended R1Concepts and I did went and purchased from them -very good customer service I got a package deal for all four premium rotors, and I cannot be happier. And the dealership charged me only 200$ to install it all. Overall at least now I can say I am not having issues with my car anymore. And is an '07 Sedona.
    Hope my posting helps the other frustrated customers. Kia is not an entirely bad product, I've owned only Korean cars for many years and this is the only time I've had problems.
    Try the drilled rotors...you will see the difference!Good luck! :) :)
  • I am glad to see you took my advice on the pads and rotors. Great products from R1 and I am loving my setup. No more break float on hot conditions and not a single problem with my setup as well.
  • stiller12stiller12 Posts: 13
    Its the same in the 2006 model. I was told it was rust and that they could "sand" the rotors down for 169.99
  • 04 kia sedona ex brakes have made noise and stopped poorly for a while.
    I tore them down and 04 shoes wouldn't fit, the parts houses say I have 05 brakes based on the drum size. But they are to big, but 04 brakes are to small. If anybody can help, it would be nice! or don't make me feel alone with this crap
  • adriver4adriver4 Posts: 4
    Does anyone make a drum to disk conversion for the 2002 sedona? Drum type is outdated, also a pain to work on.
  • adriver4adriver4 Posts: 4
    Right now I am unsure the procedure on how to post to your response regarding drum to disk conversion. There are statements made to me I have to ask about.

While the surface area of drum brakes is larger. Is this due to the technique used on them being such ability to stop requires this? To say drum is better just because there is more surface to me does not go. While that is basically true. Are there not much other items needing to be considered?

I am a bit confused by what is meant in the second paragraph when you say e-brake setup. Also how do drum brakes not required replacement more frequent then disk?

The last paragraph you said how although drum brakes are outdated. They outpreform disk brakes of the 60's and 70's. Take a look at how long back that is.
  • armyvetarmyvet Posts: 11
    Yeah, thanks a lot for the tip. I wish more of the people that complain here would do the same thing -change them like I did. I am going on 6 months now and I have no squealing and very little brake pad dust as well.
    I've had a heater problem too and the service here was so nice, they took care of the problem in few days, they shipped the broken piece overnight and they installed it in 40 minutes, the warranty paid for everything. Like I said before, korean cars are not bad at all, fixing little issues here and there like with any car I would believe.
    Just give it a try, the R1 concepts drilled rotors. YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE!
    :)
  • I just got home from the dealership where I was told my brakes were wearing out quickly b/c I brake too hard!!! I just had the rotors turned and the brake pads replaced October 2007. I was just told I need to have it done all over again when I have only put 13,000 miles on the car since I had it done the first time. I consider this a major repair and I am worried about the overall safety of the brakes. Also I wonder why people are wiling to pay out of pocket to undertake repairs that clearly should be taken care of by Kia. This looks like a pretty serious defect to me and I plan to complain to the NTSB. Sorry guys I really don't mean to knock you -- but $700.00 out of pocket to repair a defective braking system is way to much for me. I am shocked that the dealership tried to blame me. I can only suppose this is at the behest of corporate policy makers. When I questioned the customer service manager about this in more detail he did say the brake drums were too small for the car. I will never, ever buy anything from KIa again. I am just truly sorry that I bought this car. I am also having problems with the a/c and with dome lights, head lights, and the rear tail light blowing out.
  • for kimincali. I have a question. How did you file a grievance with Kia? I just went to there web site and didn't find anything helpful. Thanks so much in advance. I appreciate your post!
  • kitcar4kitcar4 Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Sedona. The first indication of trouble started w/ our having to show Kia our receipt of proof to the same dealership location we bought the car at that we did in fact buy that $900 rust protection unit before they would install it. Since than we've had to replace and/or repair the following: Front Headlight replaced because of condensation, Juttering feeling upon braking especially on a decline, blew us off "verbally" stating that's the way the brakes are, A/C Unit had a mildew and mold smell coming from vents, dealership did something leaving a vinegar smell (taken in 2x's), Cover to ashtray on front replaced - would not stay closed. Again Brake problems, told by the service mgr. rotors needed to be replaced they were "blue", car was kept till the next day only to be told rotors weren't replaced just machined, new pads, belts replaced (2x's) at 9200 and 24000 (At my expense). Waited at the dealership over 8 hours only to be told by the office clerk that the hold up was that the 1 mechanic actually left early because he had a dentist appt. Replacement of tires. Automatic windows motor replaced wouldn't stopped working (under warranty thank god). In these hard economical times having to pay the monthly car loan, its insurance and unreal maintenance cost to repair things unheard of for a "new" car just stuns me. I found out from someone who works in the auto business that when Kia first opened shop in Hawaii they had no qualified or certified mechanic to work on their cars. This car and dealing w/ this dealership and it's way of operating just took the "joy" out of having a new car. Why because it cost like an old car.
    Does anyone know what it means when the service mgr. tells you your rotors are "blue" and need to be replaced but then they don't replace them?
    Just so you know everybody I am not one rich girl. But if I have to wait for a big corporation to take care of my own life that will never happen or even if it will it might be too late. So I prefer to spend 700$ because is my life at stake and I need those brakes in order not to have an accident. And I had to put in balance what is more important: waiting and whining at the Kia to change my brakes or wait to die in an accident and do something about it.
    So I saved up and spent the money for a good cause: my own life. I think is the best money somebody can spend if you don't see any relief in sight.
    Obviously is not the perfect best car in the world. I've seen BMW's being towed for mechanical problems. I've seen cars that are twice as expensive as my car having more problems that I will ever experience. Is not only Kia. There are other makes of cars that have their own issues. Luckily for me mine it was fixable.
    Life is too short to wait for the big corporations or the government to fix stuff for me. I always look for solutions closer to home so to speak. If I just sit and whine about something is not necessary that somebody will come and help. I have to help myself first. I am a disabled veteran. Life is a challenge every day for me and I take a day at a time. I am trying to enjoy what I can because life is too short to sit down and whine when I can do something about it. Government and corporations don't give a rat's [non-permissible content removed] on this kind of problems. I chose to invest my energy in things that I can control rather than the ones I cannot.
    I am blessed with nice people at my dealership. I get nice treatment and most of the times they don't even charge me for the courtesy check-up. I don't know where you live but I would invite you over to my dealership in my town, Tyler TX.
    My advice: try to change your dealership and seek better customer service. Change your brakes yourself. I'm not saying is cheap, but hey, how much is your life worth? :)
    God Bless
    Try to see how many problems with transmission has the Caravan. There is no perfect car. :sick:
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    If I can give you all a bit of advice don't ever go to a dealer for brake repair. They will charge you often more then double what other shops will. If the item is not warranty go to a good local service shop or brake shop. Also, get multiple quotes as often women get ripped off much more then men due to lack of general knowledge about these parts.
    I agree. In my case my car is under warranty and I cannot afford to play it other than safe. Plus, the guy that I know in service is very nice I negotiate deals all the time there. And they know I am not a "regular" woman that I know few things about cars. I think for 50$ a wheel to change drum and pads they didn't abuse me. And if something happens they will have it in their records that I did all the regular maintenance that is required by warranty. They can never say that I went to a service that they don't agree on because it doesn't have Kia certified mechanics. I am covering my behind that is all. :)
    Cheers!
  • bogie5bogie5 Posts: 4
    I agree to some point BUT when we had to have our brakes serviced after 3 weeks of buying it new that problem is not on the buyer but on the dealer. We own a 2005 sedona and are still fighting the brake problems. After a year and a half they wanted to start charging us for this. We have a 120 mile round trip so yes now we have our brakes fixed in town but they cannot fix a problem that is caused by a vehicle that weighs to much for the braking system. Kia has to be responsible for this but they will not recall this problem. We are in a sinking ship and no one will give a good trade value on a kia sedona made before '07.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    You probably mean 2006 as that was the redesign year. I feel you on your brake problems. I would have never touched the 05 and under Sedona personally. Even on my 06 I needed front pads at 15k. I went on e-bay purchased the best aftermarket pads available for all 4 wheels and cross drilled slotted rotors all for under $300.00 shipped then had Pepboys install everything for 150.00 bucks. Best thing in the world for the van. No more brake float, excellent stopping power and much better longevity. I would check it out for your van too if your going to keep it.
  • We purchased this car new in January 2008 (Model Year 2007). We liked it at first but the honeymoon started to wear out in Sept 2008 when the shifter assembly broke. The dealership happened to have the part in stock which I thought was odd but nice. Then Oct 2008 the battery died. OK so I am not happy at this point but still OK with the ownership experience because all cars have some things that need to be repaired, right? Then ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!

May 2009: Oil change at a local shop (because they are $15 less than the dealer and are much more pleasant) when they indicate the presence of leaks from the transmission pan and power steering. The van has 20k miles on it at this time. We are also having brake issues (loud squealing) that the dealer dismissed as "brake dust". They cleaned them and as I was driving off the lot that evening, it was immediately back. The power steering pump had to be ordered so I knew I would be back.
    July 2009: Pump has arrived so I return with squealing brakes and a heavy vibration. While not a mechanic, I am not the village idiot either. I knew we had rotor/pad issues. So they "did me a favor" and forced the replacement of the rotors as they were "out of spec". They cleaned everything and send me on my way and I return a whole 6 days later with the same issues. We are getting ready to go out of town and the POS (piece of sh&t) is acting up again! Well the brakes are now showing abnormal wear and rotors are glazed so they do another repair and when I read this comment on the service order it was all I could do to keep myself contained "DPSM Authorized one time only goodwill/Kia pays half of the cost of rear pads and rotors. It is the opinion of the District Parts and Service Manager ((that never even looked at the car)), based on inspection of braking system, that driving habits could be the cause of this recurring issue." OK so what this tells me is that you can't use the brakes on your van....this 2nd visit in July took 2 days since they were waiting on this Regional person to come to the dealership and I was told he never made so how did he know what the brakes looked like??
    Aug 2009: So here it is August and the car was in the shop on 7/30 and back again on 8/7 for guess what? A Dead Battery and.....BRAKES!!! So they look at them, say they look fine and I head out of town to go camping. I have never felt so unsafe in a car! The grinding, groaning, vibrations and squealing made me feel that we were all in danger. The van will now only be used for city driving and the Lemon law complaint has been filed!

Do you research and avoid these cheap cars like the plague! I had a Camry before we were forced to upgrade to a larger vehicle and all I can say it Toyota makes a good product that you have to pay for but at the same time this is as close to HELL as you can get. I honestly am not sure if I can say how unhappy I am with this van and how totally disappointed I am with the way the dealer has "serviced" the issue.
  • The KIA slogan makes me chuckle (it is the only way to relieve the irritation): "The Power to Surprise". Man they sure live that up to the max...I am surprised how many times my car has been in the shop for the same issue!