Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Acura TL Type S

Comments

• tgr3tgr3 Posts: 13
    ACURA acknowledged a batch of bad rear struts for the Type S made it in the assembly line !! and I was fortunate enough to get 2 of them in my car. Dealer told me they had this problem before, and Acura is aware of this and fixed it, but some made it through. Defective struts !! Unbelievable. I griped so much, they overnighted a pair of struts and supposedly, will get my car back tomorrow, "like brand new". I said heck IT IS BRAND NEW. Anyways, I will wait and see if this fixed it. Everyone who hears thumps on hard bumps in the rear should be aware of this problem and take it to the dealer and get them replaced.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    ACURA acknowledged a batch of bad rear struts for the Type S made it in the assembly line

Probably impossible to find out, but would be very interesting to know the manufacturer/supplier of these struts. Would hope that Honda/Acura managers/engineers doing extensive consultation with that supplier with regards to failures in one or more of their processes.
  • 07types07types Posts: 7
    I got my TLS in Jan. -- I have noticed that anytime I go over a bump that I hear a 'clunk' sound on the front and the rear. I will have to contact Acura now that this has come to light. Do you have a TSB on this? We all would appreciate any info you have. If I find out anything, I will post is as well.
    They replaced the rear struts with new ones from the factory, I made sure they replaced both and made sure they are Type S struts (not reg. TL struts). I asked about the front, and the dealer told me that they are different size and different design, and they have had no reported issue with them. The dealer did say that he had at least 3 cases like this on the rear struts, ALL Type S struts. The good news is that after they changed them, the thumping noise is completely gone, and the car drives like a dream and handles great. That was def. the problem. You should have yours checked by Acura, they know it is a problem.
  • 07types07types Posts: 7
    I just got off the phone with the dealership - they said that they are not aware of this (go figure). I will keep checking on this.
    Tell them to talk to Gillman Acura in N. Houston. They have had a few of these cases. Also ORR Acura in Shrevport, LA. They had a case like that. Defective struts .. only Type-S rear struts, it is not common, but it has happened. believe me, I know ;)
  • Acura is aware of a defect in manufacturing/design of the struts in the 2007 Type S, and has know about this since at least January, 2007. According to my "handler" at Acura, they have no fix available, and changing struts is, at best, a gamble. This problem is discussed on other Web Forums as well, such as acurazine.com. :mad:
  • ledwingledwing Posts: 31
    hi tgr, i too have heard a noise but could not stand the idea of someone tearing apart my new car (1700M). sounds like the susp is topping out against something, hopefully as intended. what is your vin? mine is 5010, so its prob in the middle of the road. maybe they fixed mine in the factory.

anyway, did the strutz fix u up?
  • sbtattersbtatter Posts: 47
    But one small thing is that my passenger wing mirror no longer rotates down when I put the car into reverse.
    I haven't heard about the strut issue up here in Canada, is there a TSB or VIN numbers of affected cars?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,624
    Re: The mirror, is your mirror selector switch in the middle? For my '05, the selector has to be in the left or right position, depending on which mirror you would like to point down...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• vroom5vroom5 Posts: 8
    My drivers mirror moves inward SOMETIMES when I unlock and get into the car. It correctly rotates down and up when I have the switch on the drivers side and I go in and out of reverse, but it also moves all the way in and the motor continues (with the mirror clicking all the way inward). A defect obviously. Reset the power memory settings many times and I continue to have the problem. I'm taking into the dealer next week. I have a 07 TLS.
    my VIN is 5606 !!!! I was livid and angry at first, the thought of people tearing into the car with only 500 miles on it. But the dealer changed my reas struts, and the new struts are fine (so far), and the thumping noise is completely gone. I do not hear it in the front.
    This makes me so mad, I paid a pile of money for a luxury car. I am guessing sooner or later, Acura will come out with a recall once they have a permanent fix. Other message boards are filled with posts on this issue ... I can't believe our VIN are so close.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Do you find that the mirror doesn't quite return to the preset position after tilting down? I set my right-side mirror for tilt-down, and I find that after awhile, I need to re-adjust the position on that mirror.
    Not something that I've noticed. I'll keep an eye on it, now that you've mentioned it. Will be driving the evil wife's RX300 for a couple of days as I'm giving myself a quick ski trip for my birthday!

So if I have the mirror selector switch on left, when engaging reverse the left mirror tilts down ditto when selecting the right hand side. When the selcrtor is in the middle, neither tilt down. Before, when it was in the middle position they both tilted down when in reverse.
    As the ice leaves the roads I can start to utilize the power of the Type S, lovin it!!
    Hmmm. If they both tilted down when in the middle, then that must be a new feature on the TL-S or on the '07s? On my '05, if the switch is centered, no movement...

i am in S SF bay area, so maybe acura sent those things all around. i was hoping yours was lower than mine, and so they would have fixed it between. i dont think mine is serious enuf to do repairs. and i paid top chops for mine, since i got it when it first came out. 1700 miles on it now, and i do like it. finding my in town (most time) gas mileage stinks
    oh yeah, my mirrors are one, or the other on back up never both. in the middle i get nuttin.
  • nk582nk582 Posts: 12
    Hi, I'm about to pull the trigger on an 07 S type, but before I do I have a few questions. Is the S Type worth the extra money. The dealer mentioned the simonizing option as a good way to protect the paint for around 399.00....is it worth it. I was quoted a price of 35,985 + TT and so far no other options thrown in, how does that deal sound so far?....i'm working on the music link, trunk tray and all weather mats.....speaking of music link, any opinions on that option also Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance
    $399 for a wax job? I tend to believe that if a dealer recommends something, it is a good deal. For the dealer! Visit zainostore.com for great products to protect/enhance your TL. Much less money, but you'll have to invest a bit of time.

I'm of the opinion you should avoid dealer installed paint sealants/protectands, interior protectants (Scotchgard!), extended warranties (self-insure...!)...

• hausshauss Posts: 169
    I agree with laurasdada about the Simonizing. Don't do it. It's not worth $400 for a wax job and they'll just do the usual anyway. As for the trunk tray they should throw that in for free. I've bought 3 Acuras in the past 4 years and I always got the trunk tray, wheel locks, and cargo net for free. Don't pay for those things.
    Maybe I'm biased but i think the extra Hp and the upgraded looks are worth the extra cash, but i would say that b/c I bought the Type S!! The car looks distinctive and goes so well. Negatives are, poor traction in winter, poor mileage in town driving....
    I think the Type S is well worth the extra cash. I had an 05 and traded to 07 Type S. It looks better, it feels better, it drives better. I had problems with the rear struts (see my posts), but they fixed it. I am totally in love with the red/white instrument panel (much nicer than the blue on my 05). I bought mine for $35,444.10 plus TT, I added the body side molding, trunk tray, and mud flaps. And other than the rear strut issue I had, I LOVE the car, the acceleration, the handling, the techno gadgets. And I agree, the $400 wax job is a waste of money.
  • pv2pv2 Posts: 37
    I've my TL-S for over 2 months with no problems. Your price looks in the ballpark; I paid $500 more in Dec. Didn't order any options because the car has everything I wanted. However, I did pay for the wheel/tire hazard insurance because I had a couple of bad experiences with low profile tires/wheels on a BMW coupe a few years ago. I'm thinking about the mud flaps because the sides did get ugly with snow crud. Trunk nets came with the car. Only down side as noted by others is city mileage is in the high teens but highway is in the mid 20's. Good luck.
    BUY IT!! cool car, had mine since Tgiving and its a hoot. usually driving a company car, so mine has 1700 miles on it. when i do drive it, its a treat. i paid almost a grand more than you, and its still worth it. maybe those acura lug nutz are what cost the extra dough. you guys plowing around in the snow is a hoot! i hate taking mine in the rain, and in SF bay we dont even get that much of it. 85 degrees here today, so free sunroof open time. PS on the music link cable, i stuck a reburner CD-RW in the dash, and it holds 150 mpg tunes so i dont need a cable.
  • ccomerccomer Posts: 1
    I'll do you one better. Picked up my Type-S last night around 9pm...had it back this morning at 7am. The car has 35 miles on it and we noticed the noise immediately when we drove it off the lot. The car we test drove was fine and the salesperson mentioned there were strut problems with some Type-Ss. Our car was brought in from another dealship because we wanted a specific color. I'm not as mad about the strut, because I know it will be fixed, as I am with the idiot who drove the car from the other dealership but didn't report the noise. Anyway, they're supposed to overnight one in and get the car back to us tomorrow.
    the good news is after they replace both back struts, I have not had any problems. The car is incredible, and I am sure Acura will issue a recall if this is a nagging problem when they find a permanent fix. But other than that, it is awesome to drive. You will enjoy it, especially at night when the instrument panel lights up in red and white, it is breathtaking really. Best cockpit of any of the cars I test drove. Enjoy it, you got yourself a great car (after the fix that is).
    the only wierd thing at driving in the dark is when those NIGHT SUN headlights start reflecting off roadsigns putting the juice back your way. best lights i have ever had, and agree with all the instruments and ambient lights. good choice and i am still passin on strutz. cant stand anyone messing with my stuff. sure enough some highschool ROP fool would try the work and scratch the L out of it or do burnies around the store lot.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "...do burnies around the store lot."

Since it is FWD, you're probably safe on that count! :P
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "sure enough some highschool ROP fool would try the work and scratch the L out of it or do burnies around the store lot."

Want to run that one by me in English? :surprise:
This discussion has been closed.