Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Acura TL Type S

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I've always felt that FWD should get you thru 85% of the situation you may encounter in an urban setting, even though you may have to exercise some skill and caution. When the white stuff starts piling up, ground clearance, rather than FWD traction, may be the limiting factor.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,493
    Agreed re: FWD & ground clearance and the "snow plow" effect. But, not in the case of the TL. I'm no stranger to driving in the snow (as I'm sure you're not either!) as a life-long New Englander and skier. It was the tires, a combo of size, tread and compound probably.

As I said, I always got there on the Turanzas, just with a little more TLC. If I can just get up my driveway with no drama, the Versados will be declared a winner!

I've always driven FWD w/all seasons (without incident, knock wood) so as not to have to purchase/store/rotate snow tires. Lazy and less efficient, well yes. What can I say. But again, no issues.

I am considering a RWD for my next ride, so I will be going the snow tire/separate rims route if I do so. I've just too often seen RWD cars not being able to get there from heah, when my FWD indeed could.

Not quite ready for snow, yet... Hang on, summer!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• pv2pv2 Posts: 37
    Have my 07 TL-S since late Dec. '06 and only had small snowfalls of 2-3" in Jan-Mar and drove with no problem. Also had an '03 CL-S previously and drove in snow with no problem. HOwever, if the roads haven't been plowed and it's 6" or more I'd take my wife's Durango. Also had a 2000 BMW 328 coupe but after a scary ride in snow, I got a set of winter tires/rims.
    Jack
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    My 2004 TL 6-speed, with the "high performance" tire package (Bridgestone W rated Potenza's) sucked in the snow. Replacing with a better rated perfomance tire has helped, but it still doesn't handle snow with the confidence of my old 1995 Nissan Maxima. I don't know for a fact, but I would assume the 2007 TL-S tires are likely to be a summer compound, as well, at least with the 6-speed version.

I don't know how much winter driving through the snow you are planning on doing, but an extra set of winter wheels and tires may be adviseable if you expect to encounter 4+ months of snow conditions.
  • Do the 6-speed. Let me repeat - 6-SPEED. It took me about a day to get used to the shifter after having driven an automatic for the last 8 years (I too am 35, kids, etc). I tell you, I wouldn't change a thing in this car. I even like the torque steer. Makes the car feel alive.
  • Please help!!

I leased a 2007 TL Type-S at the beginning of September and have less than 1,000 miles so far. Unfortunately, about 2 weeks and 300 miles after I got it I noticed gas was pouring out from under the car on day. I had the car towed and the dealership said there was a cut in the high pressure fuel line. They didn't know the cause but replaced the line (or so I am told).

Now I go to get in the car yesterday and after starting it up my wife tells me gas is pouring out again. I turn off the car, pull my son out and call Acura TLC to have the car towed again! :mad:

At this point I refuse to take back the car. This isn't some silly rattle or door closing problem it is a death risk! Questions for those out there...

1) Have any of you heard of this issue (I assume it is simply a manufacturing flaw...hopefully limited to a couple cars)?

2) Any advice on what to do? One cigarette butt from a neighboring car tossed out the window at a red light and I am dead. I don't know how the lemon laws apply, but I sure as heck am not about to give them a couple more tries with the fear that the next time I don't catch the leak in my driveway. (I just finished the first month of a 36mo lease)

I love Acura/Honda, I have a MDX and my previous car was a 2004 TL (and before that an Accord). This event makes me want to run for the hills. Thoughts?
  • Well a cigarette but won't actually ignite gas. You can throw a lit cigarette right into a pool of gasoline and it probably won't ignite.

That is besides the point though as this is still dangerous. Call up Acura's customer care center or whatever they call it. Tell the person who answers the phone the story and when they try to down play it ask for the highest level person available at the time. Tell them what happened and just keep telling them. We had this happen to a LR3 several years ago and the guy called the fire department to his house. One or two calls to Land Rover and they took the car back very quickly.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Unfortunately, about 2 weeks and 300 miles after I got it I noticed gas was pouring out from under the car on day.

Define "pouring". I once had a cut/break in my fuel line and it only dripped. And, if I'm not mistaken, the fuel pump had some sort of automatic shutoff in the event a leak was detected.

It sounds to me like your dealer blew the original diagnosis and/or did a poor job of fixing it. But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. If there is a visible leak that is "puring" gas, it should be pretty easy for them to fix or replace the fuel line system completely.
    "You can throw a lit cigarette right into a pool of gasoline and it probably won't ignite."

Really??! :confuse:

So I should be able to safely ignore all those signs at the gas stations and light one up while I'm re-fueling?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, if you decide to do that, hope you can will let us know how it works out.
    lol....no, I don't think I will try that experiment despite what british_rover said! :P
    :)

No offense br, it just seems like a pretty scary thing to contemplate!
    I'm with you on that, pat! It's just that what british_rover said seems to fly in the face of what I thought was undisputed fact. (Or maybe he was just being facetious and I misunderstood).
  • No its true a lit cigarette probably won't ignite a pool of gasoline. I wouldn't try it myself and advise against it but most likely the lit end of the cig will miss the fumes and be smothered by the liquid gas when it hits the surface.

My college roommates Uncle, and yes I know that makes it sound like an urban legend, used to do this trick all the time. He was an old school race car driver that raced in the IMCA series and I remember him doing this at his shop quite a few times.

They used it as a kind of hazing ritual for the new guys on the team. He said 9 times out of 10 the gasoline would not ignite. Still a 10 percent chance is a 10 percent chance so I wouldn't risk it. I guess the conditions really need to be ideal for the gasoline to ignite.
    You know, I think probably the hosts have a responsibility to test this out to either debunk or confirm your theory once and for all, since all members are no doubt keenly interested in the results! And afterall, it's only a 10% chance! ;) :P
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,968
    I'd be glad to... but, I don't smoke.. :shades:

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Neither do I - anymore. :blush:

Bodble2 is the one who put this out there. I'm waiting for him to tell us what happens. :P
    Umm....huh...what are we talking about again? :blush: :P
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    The mythbusters already did this, in one of their movie myth episodes.
    A lit cigarette will not ignite a puddle of gasoline.

With that being said, I have no intetion of parking a TL or any other car with a gas leak on or near a lit cigarette.
    It just goes against everything that little "keep me safe" voice in my head is always telling me.