Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Sorry, but $1400 is crazy high. A quality private shop will charge $80 to $100/hour.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    In this case it was a car dealer who paid the $1400 for the new clutch. You'd think they'd know better than to throw their money out the window like that on a clutch repair! :surprise:

I know it's hard for some people to believe that not everyone is willing or able to do their own major repairs on a BMW, or that emergency situations come up that leave little or no choice for course of action. But that is reality. If it makes those folks feel nice and smug and superior because they've never been in those kinds of situations, how wonderful for them.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,357
    In this case it was a car dealer who paid the $1400 for the new clutch. You'd think they'd know better than to throw their money out the window like that on a clutch repair!

Not necessarily. It's also possible that they told you it cost $1400 so you'd think that you were getting a good deal on the car.

I know it's hard for some people to believe that not everyone is willing or able to do their own major repairs on a BMW

No, but it is hard to believe that some people aren't willing to seek out good dealers and shops that perform quality work at fair prices. For example, for just $40 per year you can join BMW CCA which will get you:
    Significant discounts at many dealers and shops
    The ability to obtain advice about your car and local shops from other CCA members in your area
    Access to technical advisors

emergency situations come up that leave little or no choice for course of action

You called the $800 fuel pump dealer because you didn't know a local shop to call, correct?

But that is reality.

For you, maybe.

If it makes those folks feel nice and smug and superior because they've never been in those kinds of situations, how wonderful for them.

I've owned nine BMWs over the past 25 years, most of them over five years old. Currently I run a 2004, a 1995, and a 1975. It's not a question of being "smug and superior". It's a question of being prepared by doing your homework. You bought one seven year old BMW and had it serviced by a dealer who charges out the wazoo- then you sell it less than four months after you bought it. Based on that extensive experience you continue to post about expensive BMW repairs. I'm not saying BMWs are the cheapest cars to maintain, but a little due diligence and common sense goes a long way when running an older BMW. I'm sorry you got hosed by your dealer, but for about every horror story about expensive BMW service costs I can point you to someone who runs an older BMW for less than $600-$700 per year.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Last winter my clutch literally self destructed, punching 2 large holes through the bell housing. I wasn't about to replace my clutch on jackstands in my unheated garage, so I took it to a local shop that has done some work for me in the past.

They ordered me a Sachs HD clutch kit, and also took my bell housing to a welder they know who works on aluminum. They charged me $800 for everything - parts and labor.

My response about paying $1400 for a clutch was in the context of the original point, re: buying an extended warranty. It's just my personal opinion that paying $1500 in advance for something that may or may not happen doesn't make sense. Why not put that money in a savings account and if you need it, fine - if you don't, then you've got $1500 in your pocket.

If you are going to own any car out of warranty, it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to find out where the good shops are in your area. Whether it's a BMW, Acura, or whatever, there are dozens of enthusiast websites you can visit and do a search - you'll find out who the enthusiasts recommend and use.

If you're driving through BFE and you have a breakdown, all I can say is, buyer beware.
    You called the $800 fuel pump dealer because you didn't know a local shop to call, correct?

I had my BMW towed to the nearest dealer because I had to get to an appointment ASAP, my car was sitting in the middle of a drivelane in an airport parking ramp, it was bitterly cold, and my alternate shop (which I had done research on beforehand, btw) was 30 miles across town during Friday rush hour and not a practical alternative under the circumstances.

Maybe if I had 25 years of BMW ownership experience instead of a few weeks (at that time) I would have done something differently. Maybe not though.

Empathy can be useful. You might try it sometime.

... for about every horror story about expensive BMW service costs I can point you to someone who runs an older BMW for less than $600-$700 per year.

In other words, the odds of having an expensive BMW ownership experience vs. a lower-cost one is about 50-50. Not great odds, IMO. Glad I got rid of my nine year old (not seven, subtract 2009 - 2000) 3 Series when I did. Great car, just not the best car for me at this time.
    No need to be acerbic Backy.

BMW's aren't the only cars that suffer fuel pump failures. It doesn't matter if you've owned BMW's for 25 years or 25 minutes.
    No, and there's no need to talk about tossing people credit cards and bending over, is there?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    There've been plenty of unnecessary comments all around. Let's move on, please.
  • I was looking at a 2004 330i CPO with leather, navigation, HK sound system, premium/sport package. The thing is that it's at 84,653 miles.

It's going for $12,995 at the moment.

Would it be a big mistake to look into this car at all? Also, I'm still confused about CPO warranty coverage.
    Does the 6/100k mean that either in 2010, or after I've driven 16k miles (taking it to 100k) it would be out of warranty? Or is it 6 years/100k miles from now?

Thank you much!
    The CPO warranty continues to six years from the in service date- that is, when the car was first sold/leased. And the mileage warranty ends at 100K miles on the vehicle odometer. The car will easily go 200K miles, but you cannot scrimp on maintenance. I'd want to see a full service history and I'd also have the car checked out by a good BMW techg. FWIW, I'm currently considering buying a 2003 540i 6 speed manual- with no warranty whatsoever. It all depends on your comfort zone...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• So to confirm, the warranty will expire either in 2010 or after it's been driven 16k more miles? Hrm.
    Yes.

• That doesn't sound too appealing :)
  • Hello bought a used CPO vehicle, and was wondering if anyone has bought the appearance package Good deal or not?

$1475.00 covers scratches to exterior or damage to interior leather for 5 years.

They come to you.

Unlimited uses no deductible.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm thinking that the "deal" sounds more like a scam. Think about it this way, have you caused even half that much wear and tear on your cars over the last ten years? Geez, I don't think my wife and I combined have accumulated even that much in wear and tear over the last twenty, and during that time we had two children (now teenagers), and neither of them were terribly gentle on our cars.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Thanks for the reply Shipo. Yeah, I never usually take extended warranties, etc on anything. We have three kids 8, 10, and 12, and big mastiff that will be jumping in and out of it. I can't even count the scratches on my minivan anymore. I think 1500 hundred is a bit too much too...easy enough to cancel they gave us 60 days with no penalties...only reason it was considered. Thanks again.
    I agree with Shipo 100%.
    It's a racket.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    A magazine reporter is interested in consumers who have purchased a used vehicle in the past few months. Please send your email address and phone number to jfallonedmunds.com by Wednesday, February 11, 2009, if you fit the bill.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Here is my situation:

I bought a certified used BMW 330xi and I am currently paying $470 per month. The car has about 39,000 miles on it. I have 59months left of payments.

I got an offer to lease a 2008 328i 3 series sedan for $527 a month with $3,000 down. 10,00 miles per year for 36 months. The dealership would get me out of the 330xi

Should I keep my used car or get into the newer car and have the luxury of walking away after 3 years.

Here are the features that I would be giving up if I go with the 2008 328i:

all wheel drive
    Xeon lights
    illuminated door sills
    Logic 7 sound system
    25 horsepower

What are everyine's thoughts?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,527
    I don't see any advantagewhatsoever to your doing this. You can 'walk away' from the 330 anytime because you own it. You can't get out of the lease for 36 months AND you have zero equity in the 328. At least in 36 months you'll have equity in the 330 and probably won't be upside down on the loan.

Besides all that, 10K miles a year is not such a good idea. You'll go over that no doubt and end up with a mileage charge...AND that 328 had better be near-perfect when you return it, or you'll pay for dings and dents.

• Thanks. I think you are right. There does not seem to be any advantages in going with the lease.
  • Hi, I just want to share my experience of buying a CPO with you all and hope that some of you may be able to help me out.

I went to the cealership to look at a cpo 2006 330xi at the end of last year to take advantage of the 0.9 financing. The salesman keep on pushing and I went for it, thinking that I like it anyway. First sign of trouble that I should have picked up is. He told me that it is certified already, but when we do the paper work, he told me that it has not been, so I have to write a post-dated check so he has time to get the car in the system or BMW will fine them something like $500. I agreed and wait. I did not look at the car closely for it is dirty and not clean. He assured me that once it is certified, all ding and dents would be fixed and drives like new in the commercial, stupid me.

After two weeks have passed, the car is still not ready. Eventually picked up the car in the third week. I asked for the paper work (the certified check list), they cannot produce it. I waited for 2 hours and I saw the mechnics scrambling around. At that point, I really suspect that they did not do the certification. I looked at the car, there are dents that are not fixed and it drives sluggish and not smooth.

I called the general manager of the dealership and complained, and they agreed to do another 140 points check and fix the dents in the bumper. another week passed by, I sent someone to pick up my car and specifically asked the person to check the bumper and asked for the certified papers. Once again, they cannot produce the paperwork at the spot and scrambled around for hours. the dents are still not fixed. The person which I sent picking up the car cannot see because the car was not washed and he missed some spots.

At this point I am fed up with the car. I recently took the car to another dealership just for checking it out because I really hate the way it drives. it is loud, bumpy and sluggish. the found a bunch of problems and it is still in the shop waiting for the verdict.

This is basically the story without going in all the details. I truely regretted buying a used car at this point believing that there is some kind of a standard behind a name brand. Anybody knows anything I can do to file a complain or suggestions?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
  • I bought a 2006 330xi CPO end of last year too. During the negotiation, there were a few points which wrangle me still, but overall I think I got a good deal. The car looks great and runs great. I hate the alarm signs every time I hot a pot hole and the tire loses some air, but cant say if the car is good say, until at least come summer.

Now, I have received a CPO guide in the mail, and a survey email from the dealer to see if I was satisfied with the purchase. At the bottom of the survey, there is an option to request that you be contacted by the dealer, and/or by BMW North America. So, if you have given up on making peace with the dealer, contact BMW NA. They are funding this purchase anyways and should resolve this.

And I strongly believe in retribution against cheats. Spread the name of the dealer on these and other boards. DO NOT let them get away with this.

Good luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,527
    Well it's just one man's opinion. Others here might have another angle on this that I'm missing...

• thanks hemanthh

I don't plan to let them get away, but I have been dealing with this car for more than a month now, getting kind of tired.

Am waiting for the results from the other dealership looking at the car. So far there are problems with the engine and transmission. They told me they are minor problems, but shouldn't these be fixed at the whatever 140 points inspection?

When you purchase yours, did you get the check list? I am sure that mine was done at the spot when I asked because I had to wait for 2 hours watching them running around to get signatures.

I have not received any calls nor survey from BMW North America.

I plan to write to the CEO of BMW USA and cc the general manger of the dealership, including all the paper work, will see how that goes.

Am I allowed to disclose the dealership name and the "used car" salesman, would love to be able to do it here.
  • I would definetly post that crooks name. I bought a used 2006 330xi about three weeks ago and got a detrailed checklist immediately. I assume the check should be done before they advertise that the car is certified. If you do not mind me asking, how many miles are on the car and how much did you pay for it? On another note I test drove another car that I was considering and it was terrible. I asked myself how they could sell that car and call it certified? They may not be doing a detailed check at the dealerships.
  • the car has around 36500 miles on it and paid $25,000. Am not sure if this a good deal.

We test drove the car before it was "certified," and I was not impressed by it. However, I was assured that it will be good after being certifed, just some tune up and stuff, stupid me. My plan was to use it as a daily commuting car to work, well, it has been in the shop for a month so far.

I seriously was thinking that the pre-owns have some kind of a standard, apparently I was wrong.

Now the car is in another dealership and they are checking it out, will find out next Monday
  • BTW, from what the "used car" salesman told me, they cannot sell you the car as certified before they actually do it, that's why I have to write a post-dated check to the dealership. If BMW finds out, the dealership will be fined.

I guess some dealerships don't even bother to follow the 140 check points thinking that most people wont even know the difference and wont ask for the check list.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Wow, I'm sorry for what you've been through.

If you haven't already, please consider posting this also in our Dealer Ratings & Reviews. That's another way to let others know what's happening here.
  • That price seems fair. I got mine for 24,900 and it had about 39,900 miles. I bought the car for the same reason, to commute daily to work. I am usually totally against buying used cars but I figured that a CPO was a good bet. I am very nervous about when the factory warranty runs out. That extra warranty only covers the powertrain and electric but not maintenance. You can always buy a maintenance plan but I do not know how expensive it is. How many miles a day do you commute to work?