Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• No and No. Find a shop with good review http://www.bimmershops.com
    Tire warranty should only be $600 and that's questionable with the amt of you drive and your driving road condition.

Do I need the extended maintenance warranty for $2000?
    Do I need the road hazard tire warranty for $1400 for 5 years?
  • utexas06utexas06 Posts: 43
    I'm interested in this 2007 328i coupe. It has a Monaco Blue Metallic exterior with Saddle Brown leather interior. 57,900 miles. Here are the extra packages and options.

Premium Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Comfort Access System
    Heated Front Seats
    Active Cruise Control
    Metallic Paint
    Dakota Leather Seat Trim
    6-speed Steptronic Automatic Transmission

It's not CPO but the VIN check shows only one owner and its in excellent condition. Dealer is asking $23,500. How low do you think I can negotiate without offending them?
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    I agree with Firebird_EOU. Extended warranties in general are a rip off, IMO.

I bought a road hazard warranty with my G37 back in the fall for ~$600, but that covered wheels in addition to the tires for 5 years.
  • nepropneprop Posts: 41
    Bought this model at the beginning of 2010 with 37K miles on it in San Diego. All options..loaded for just over $20K. Great vehicle, lot's of fun and just a blast to drive. I researched the heck out of this particular E46 model family as I don't care for the current look (personal preference). I recommend using Craigslist and other free sites and take your time. Also, I had a CarTalk and Bimmerforums mechanic check it out beforehand.

If you are willing to do your homework, have time and engage a good independent mechanic to check it out, you will almost always find what you want versus dealing with a Dealer and paying a high price. Dealers have their place, but you pay for it. Good luck.
  • vinayg1vinayg1 Posts: 28
    I am thinking of leasing a 2009 328i CPO. I have a few questions, which I am hoping that some knowledgable people could answer.

1. Does BMW Finance lease CPO? I read on their web-site that they do, but I would like some confirmation before I explore more into this option.
    2. Assuming they do, is the rate (i forgot the technical term) they use to calculate the payment on new leases same as on CPO?
    3. Is it possible to negotiate a zero down on the lease and have the cost built into lease payments?

Here is my thinking for Leasing a CPO instead of a new one:

I don't HAVE to drive a brand-new car.

Leasing a 2009 vehicle (with about 20K miles) for 3 years 10K miles per year should cover me fully with initial warranty. Is that correct or will I have to buy some sort of extended warranty?

They lease new ones with MSRP of 38K for about 359/month after 3500 down (cap cost reduction). This means that they are financing 34.5K. So, if I get my CPO for lets say 30K, and I do not pay any Cap cost reduction, my payments should still be less than 359/month as they are now financing only 30K.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me whether my reasoning is correct or completely flawed.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,673
    I don't think leasing a used car is a good idea(leasing a new car isn't much better- unless it's used in your business).
    But that's just me.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,847
    Used vehicles (even CPO) generally don't have any lease support... Purchase and finance incentives... but, no lease support..

It's possible that BMW may occasionally have a deal on CPO leases, but not any that I can recall in the last 5-6 years...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,899
    A reporter seeks to interview Southern Californians who bought a certified pre-owned car and love it. Please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 19, 2010 if you care to share your story.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fixit12fixit12 Posts: 10
    Dude show up at the dealer with 20k in Cash and tell him this is the deal!
    If not walk away slowly he will run to you before you get away.

Dan
  • fixit12fixit12 Posts: 10
    Dude show up at the dealer with 20k in Cash and tell him this is the deal!
    If not walk away slowly he will run to you before you get away.

Dan
  • edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    I posted this under prices paid and I am reposting here just in case.

I just bought a 2007 328 Wagon with 46k and CPO for $23,000. The KBB/Edmunds TMV - trade in is $21,000/$22,000 and CPO value is $28,000/29,000. I think there were some better deals out there - lower miles, similar price - but I did not want white or black or gray, which seems to be the vast majority of SoCal Bimmers. (What's with black in SoCal?) To get a color, I paid a little extra maybe.

CPO
    Wagon
    AT
    Cold
    Premium
    Logic 7
    Dual power lumbar seats
    BMW Assist
    Xenon headlights
    Keyless ignition
    Bluetooth

Love the car!
    Looks like a good deal! I love the wagons...

So...what color did you get?

• edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    I am glad SOMEone likes wagons! I am a single guy and keep getting asked why I have a station wagon since I have no kids. 'Cause they are fast, fun, get good gas mileage and I can put my mountain bike in there,' I say. They look at me like I am some communist, cheese eating surrender monkey because I don't have a gas guzzling SUV.

The car is Platinum Bronze. I don't get the "bronze" concept; in most light situations, it looks gold. There are so few wagons and even less with those nice BMW burgundy, green, light blue and gold colors. Ve vant to look Teutonic! I also wanted beige interior as the So Cal sun really heats up black interiors when parked even part of the day at the trailhead.
  • disco99disco99 Posts: 74
    Hello everybody ..I'm on Long Isalnd NY,,,,
    What would be a fair price for CPO(exp 09/12--100k miles) 2006 330 XI 32k miles, NAVIGATION, HEATED SEATS, SUNROOF, XENON LIGHTS, CD CHANGER, BLUETOOTH, 7 SPEAKERS..18 " WHEELS....

How much should I pay??? The dealer wants 24k firm...Thanks in advance
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,770
    Congrats man! Wagons rule!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• bmw_gssbmw_gss Posts: 19
    Hi - I am a little confused on how the CPO works? My understanding is CPO in generak is 6 years/100K miles. So, if I buy a CPO 2009 car which originally had warranty till 2012 , does the CPO start from 2009 (ie date of service) or from 2012 once the original warranty expires?

Alternatively, is it a good option to buy a non CPO car and then get extended warranty once the original warranty expires?? I

Thanks.
    The 6yr/100 coverage is from the original in-service date... Of course, until the original warranty expires, you won't use it.. So, it only kicks in after 4 years of 50K miles, whichever comes first...

Ok that makes sense....thanks dude!

I am looking at a 2010 loaner whose warranty ends Nov 2013. I am thinking of getting extended warranty as I plan to have the vehicle for atleast 5 years if not more. Can someone recommend what kind of warranty to go for - in terms of price, coverage etc. Is this something that BMW offers or is it something that the dealer offers? Lastly, would you advise getting the ext warranty right away or wait till the original expires in 2013 and shop for it at that point?

Thanks for your time!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,674
    CPO is not an extended warranty...it is only offered through dealerships.

It usually has additional 'features' that are not included on an extended warranty -- I'm only familiar with the Lexus CPO...which includes the same % APR as new vehicles, road side assistance (with coverages for hotel stays), rentals, etc...a bunch of 'stuff'

Extended warranty companies can go out of business (there was a recent one which went under; can't remember the name)...whereas automobile companies can be too big to fail (GM's are still honored).

I did a CPO...probably wouldn't again. If you need to sell you car earlier (for whatever reason)...you'll be "upside down" because your purchase price was so much higher than comparable vehicles without the "warranty".

long - short story--I had starting issues, took the car to the dealer, they replaced the battery and starter button (I thought...good a free new battery). Less than a year later I had starting problems again and it turns out the 'new' battery they gave me had bad cells. Since the dealer gave me the battery I didn't have the battery warranty...and the dealer coverage period for batteries only went to 50K...i was just over that mileage...so too bad...you need to buy a battery. I went to sears to buy a better battery for $110 instead of the $180+ for bottom of the ladder, cheapo one they offered...

Although if my transmission goes out...after the power train warranty expires (which are usually pretty long)...then I may recoup my CPO costs. If this does happen, I suspect they may be another caveat that disqualifies the coverage...cynical...

I think extended warranties are more about 'feeling good' than actual coverage...I'm beginning to think i'd "feel" better with my money in my pocket :)

I'm not certain if extended warranties are transferable or reimburse if you cancel early.

What type of car? Options?
    Thanks Ivan. This is a 2010 328 XI with 6K miles - has the premium and value pacakges on it. So far got it to 33K, trying to get it down a bit more - do u think thats good enuff or there is room? Warranty ends 2013, so was not sure if I shud get the ext warranty which is what u responded to. Need to chew on what u suggested, leaning to not going for it...
    When I do an autotrader & carmax search i find nothing that is close to 33k.

Seems like a fabulous price...but if there's still wriggle room then more money in your pocket.

If you're going to keep the vehicle for a long period of time I can see some 'potential' benefits...A co-worker of mine keeps his cars for 10 years, but never buys extended warranties (a Ford to 250k+ miles)...Now in a G37 coupe.

I had a Q45 a couple years ago which i purchased used. The previous owner had all documentation. The previous 18 months or so he spent over $7k for repairs. I had another $400ish...for one year before it passed away (murdered by a tree)...

If you keep it for 10 years it would be a shame to get to year 8 and have to replace anything major; but the 3 series seems to have a pretty good reliability record.

I suppose with an extended warranty you're guaranteed to have costs (the initial anyway) whereas if you 'chance' it you may or may not spend more than your initial outlay.
  • sjl2010sjl2010 Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a used 2006 BMW 330xi and I'm hesitant. I've never owned a BMW before and I understand the cost of repairs can be high. I was wondering if anyone knows of any common problems with this particular model and if there's anything I should be aware of prior to purchasing this vehicle. The miles are a little bit high, so that's a concern for me as well.

Thanks!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,770
    How many miles are on the car? What is the asking price? Are you buying from a dealer or private owner? Is the car stick or automatic?

High miles on an E90 330xi wouldn't bother me as long as the vehicle has documented records of it's service history. Have a pre purchase inspection done by a BMW dealer or independent mechanic who specializes in BMWs.

If everything checks out ok, then join BMWCCA to receive a fantastic magazine and get discounts on parts.

If it doesn't check out, don'tbe afraid to walk away. There are plenty of '06 330xis out there.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Did you say the 33K was good for OTD? Coz I could not get it any lower, so its 33K for a 2010 (328xi 6k miles - premium, value, heated seats, heated steering wheel)....comes out 36 OTD price. Still think its a good deal?

It has about 3 years 3 months on the warranty left, so I think I will not for the extended warranty just yet.

Also, if I decide to get extended warranty what is recommended - there seem to be so many packages? Also are these packages dealer driven or BMW driven?
  • I'm considering purchasing a CPO 2007 328xi (about 30K miles) with premium package (heated front seats, bluetooth, BMW Assist) and wonder what a fair price is.

How much room do dealers have with this type of car? There seems to be a lot of them listed in the inventory I've found on line. . .

How much does location factor into this? I'm between NYC and Philly.

Thanks!
    hmmm...

When I plug those options into Edmunds TMV I get
    MSRP: 39,365
    Invoice: 36,255
    TMV: 35,388

Plus it shows a $2k Manufacturer to Dealer rebate...which I believe is included in the TMV of $35,3K.

This was for a manual...add $1,300 to all figures for auto.

So if all others "could" get the same vehicle for 35.3k then you're getting a 'deal' of $2,300...for 6k miles (may be a hard 6k...or not)

Or...you could look at it like MSRP 39,365 - 33,000 = $6,365 saving...some people do pay sticker.

It's a small saving...approx 6.4% off of the TMV price, but the TMV is already below invoice.
  • Hey guys,

I am currently shopping for a CPO 335i and this is what I found.

Asking price = $32900
    After 1st round nego. = $31800
    2008 335i Coupe
    Mileage: 24,188
    options:
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Navigation System
    Comfort Access Keyless Entry System
    iPod/USB Adapter

The only thing that I am not sure with this car is that its carfax shows 3 owners. It was originally a dealers demo car and then it was leased out. The lease was then transfer to another guy. Should I be concerned with this?

What's the fair price for this car?
    Thanks
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,533
    stick or auto?
    location?

assuming an auto trans and northeast location, that's a pretty good price for CPO. ~$4k over wholesale.

I wouldn't be concerned about the number of owners, personally.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• automatic trans.
    I live in NY.
  • wilkich84wilkich84 Posts: 34
    edited August 2010
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on an 07 328i wagon. The only option is Xenon. I plan to get a portable GPS with bluetooth. Is there some installed option that folks believe that I will regret never getting? I personally can't think of one but someone may have an idea.

As for the car, an independent mechanic has checked it out and it has a some very minor issues which can be worked out all under warranty. My only concern at this point relates to the tan interior. We have an SUV which is generally the kid (ages 5 and 7) and dog (25lb) car. I'm turning in off lease an accord with the tan interior and the kids have trashed the cloth seats. As for the 3, I'm hoping that- with the leather seats, floor mats and relative advanced age of the kids (they understand the fear of god now)- the interior will hold up. Anyone want to talk me out of the tan?