Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• bobc70bobc70 Posts: 10
    I just bought the same car except it's coupe, for $24K,it has 33k miles and with Premium package so I thing 19K is a good deal....
    good luck
  • chewy2chewy2 Posts: 19
    Your deal sounds very good to me. Questions - is the base model equipped with cruise control? How about lumbar seat support?

Thanks!
  • edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    The base model does not have lumbar. It certainly should have cruise. Lumbar and electric adjustment are pretty important if your back is not in great shape. The manual simply does not have very much flexibilty and I could not get comfortable.

But if you have a great back, that is just an enormous amount of German sport sedan for $19k. I recently bought a fully loaded (except Nav) 328 wagon for $23k. That ends up being pretty similar. But my car had much less warranty than the one discussed. The only option I really, really wanted was the xenon. The keyless, backup, heated seats, garage clicker, ipod, and fancy stereo are all not necessary.
  • I dont think I am going to go ahead with the deal. He is telling me that the car is registered in Arkansas and I will have to payoff his loan because the lien is held by BMW financial services. Sounds shady to me, or too much hassle to say the least. In any case my bank will not approve my loan for buying an out of state car.
    I am considering a couple others from dealers. One has 19k miles on it and the dealer is asking for 21K $$. But this one is not a CPO. The other one is a CPO and has 42K miles for 21K $$. Both are under factory warranty until mid next year. Any suggestions on which one to go for? Thanks.
  • zayirzayir Posts: 4
    You see, thats always the issue in buying cars with lien on them. It looks/is complicated. One of the reasons we had to resort to CPO car instead of private owned is this.

About the new cars that you are considering.. why doesn't the dealer offer CPO on 19K mile one ?. Does it have a bad history ?.
  • Both autocheck and carfax look clean. Nothing bad except that they were leased. The dealership is not a BMW authorized one, it is a nissan dealership primarily. I dont think they can certify the vehicle.
    I am wary of going to independent dealers who seem to offer good deals, with reports being clean. I am afraid they might be hiding something, like accidents or damage which was not reported to autocheck/carfax. Do you think it is worth spending a couple thousand $$ more for a CPO from an authorized BMW dealer?
  • The two cars I mentioned are from two different dealers. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    carfax and autocheck are not always accurate. I've found many a car that comes up clean that I personally know had numerous fender-benders. I think they'd spot a TOTAL pretty reliably, though---but other mishaps? You can't count on 'em 100%.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,467
    See if they'll let you take it to an authorized BMW dealer for a Pre PurchaseInspection. Maybe you could get the VIN and run it by your BMWs service department.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

When you get a sec, can you look up the GALVES value of
    an '09 328i? Black/Black - 6 speed stick - cold weather pkg - sport pkg - Xenon - NAV - 6153 miles. Asking $33,999. I'm thinking Galves is somewhere around $26,500 & they'd let it fly for $$28,5 - $29K?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Hi all,

What would be a good price for a 2007 328i with sport and premium packages? It has 25K miles on it and the factory warranty ends in April 11. The dealer is asking for $$ 22800 .

Thanks,
    mpnikhil.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,215
    edited October 2010
    Good thinking. $26,500 is near the top of Galves, so that should be about what they have in it if it needs nothing. I'm guessing it is a sedan, right?
    If CPO, I don't think they'd go that low, but you never know.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

It needs NOTHING due to the fact it has just over 6K on the clock. It is a sedan, sorry, forgot to mention that. Wish I was in the market right now. I'd hop over there quickly. Thanks for your help.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,215
    oh, ya never know. Driven hard enough (and maybe a trip to the track) can toast a set of tires pretty quick. Not to mention dings, dents, scratches, and maybe even a fender bender all have no conception of miles. ;)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    I sold a pristine car to a friend and they pretty much trashed it in 6000 miles. It can be done, but it takes talent. :cry:

• Just got a 2007 CPO 328i with Premium, Xenon, & Satellite Radio for 23.5K. The car only has 17K miles on it so I thought it was a good deal. What do you guys think?
  • bobc70bobc70 Posts: 10
    was is a coupe or sedan, if its a coupe you got a great deal, for sedan its ok. I bought the exact same thing in coupe but it has 30K miles on it with the same package and year for the exact same price.
    Given the prices those two got in posts just above mine, $22,800 might be a little high. But none of the three posts (yours and the two above) mention CPO. That adds a couple of thousand, so if your is CPO, that is a decent deal. If no CPO, sounds like you could get them down to $21. Again, my Wagon ($1000 more?) with 46k, CPO plus 3 months, all options but Nav, was $23,000. That was in SoCal, so Norcal should be similar.

What I like to do on pricing is just get a low number that I am comfortable with and stick with it. If they let you walk out, you can always go back a couple days later and agree to their lowest offer. I got this system from my Dad - a former Dodge salesman in the 40s - who had a funny but cool system. He would walk in, drive it, and pull out a signed check for a specific amount. The salesman would give the usual hubris about "I would go broke," "I won't make any profit." etc. Then, my Dad would say, "Okay but I have no more checks. Should I rip this up?" He would then hold it tantalizingly just out of the sales guy's reach. The salesman usually lunged for it.
  • Mine is a Sedan. I am in East Texas and looking at the deals around could not find a better deal around so I just took it.
  • trivialstrivials Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    what do you guys think/feel about getting a dealer fleet car. The '08 328i I am seeing has 30k miles on it - but is CPO and has been at the dealer all the time. Does having a CPO negate the fact that it might have been driven carelessly for 30k miles. What would be a fair price for the car ? 328i, premium package, CPO, auto transmission, NAV
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,014
    Why would a dealer keep a car for 30K miles? Are you sure it's been at the dealer this whole time? Most BMW loaner car programs require them to sell the car within one year and 15K miles..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I think he's saying the car was at the dealer for service many times during it's 30K miles in which case Id stay away from it.

• Thanks for the info. Yes, he said it was with them the entire time - part of a set of "fleet" vehicles that was driven by the manager, or a client, or some customer etc., The car is registered to the dealership - has been the entire time.
  • Good Sunday morning, guys,

I have been shopping for used 2010 BMW 328i xDrive and narrowed down to two choices, as below -

1. 2010 BMW 328i xDrive, Le Mans Blue/Beige
    - 13,5xx miles
    - Premium, Sport, Xenon, Parking Sensor, Heated Front Seats
    - Executive Demo from BMW North America's employee in Cliffwood Lake, NJ
    - Factory Warranty & Maintenance until Dec. 2013
    - Price: $32,750

2. 2010 BMW 328i xDrive, Le Mans Blue/Saddle Brown
    - 8,5xx miles
    - Premium, Cold Weather, 17" Premium Wheels, NO XENON
    - Personal Vehicle owned by a lady for about one year before she traded it in for a Z4
    - Factory Warranty & Maintenance until Oct. 2013
    - Price: $31,500

Both cars are in flawless condition inside out.

As for the first car, the Sport Package is attractive, but since it doesn't do anything to the xDrive's suspension, the only thing I love is the sport seats. Parking sensor is useless and somewhat annoying to me. Xenon headlight is great, love it. However, the interior color is too bright for me, the high contrast between light beige and black/grey somewhat bothers me.

As for the second car, the interior color is calming, love it. Cold weather package is a plus. 17" wheels do make this car stand up to the other car in term of look even without the sport package. During a test drive I noticed that this car drives more peppy, don't know if it's just me feeling more comfortable in this interior or the engine is better tuned or in better shape. However, the only thing I hate about this car is that it doesn't have Xenon headhlights, I'm wondering how much does it cost to isntall OEM Xenon and if it's worth it?

Thanks guys for your thoughts.
  • 13,500 miles is USED in NJ or NY. Get the cheaper car.
    Are both these cars stick or steptronic (automatic)?

The beige interior (sand) is a killer for me because it is just very hard to keep clean. Top that with LeMans Blue and you better know a good detail shop or have a house account with Griots Garage.

The first car has more going for it - sport seats & xenons. As far as I know, it would be expensive to retrofit the Xenon lights.

Are these the asking prices or negotiated prices?

Don't feel pressured to pull the trigger on either of these. 328i Xdrives are a dime a dozen and yours will pop up soon enough.

That brown interior is pretty cool.

The beige interior is not that hard to clean because BMW leather is pretty tough. I have 50k now on my 328iT and the beige leather is still in good shape. The carpets are beat though. They can be cleaned but black or brown would show the dirt less - just like in any car.

Xenons and adaptive lights are fantastic.

And yes, bargain those guys down - you could get $5000 off what they ask. I got $4000 off a $27,000 car.
  • Hi... I'm new to this site and have a general question... I'm thinking about buying a 2004 330cci... do these cars have many 'inherent' issues I should be aware of? I'd like to go into owning it somewhat knowledgeable about what to expect... Thanks
  • First of all how are you guys?,the reason im here is cause i am planning on buying a used bmw 3series sedan. and well i actually found one, but im a little scared cause i think the deal is too good to be true i would like some input plz help!!!!

Here's the link.http://www.autotrader.com/dealer/ddetail.jsp?dealer_id=52685080