Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• meach88meach88 Posts: 2
    A private seller has a CPO (warranty through the end of 2012, maitnance NOT included though) with 52K miles on it. All options except Nav, manual transmission. He wants $19K for it (firm). It looks like Edmonds has the TMV at around $18K. I know that the TMV isn't the end all be all, but is that decent price or should I continue to shop (should I be gunning for that $18 or less number as the trade in on is that much lower...?) What do you think the resale value of the car would be in 3 or 4 years? Thanks in advance.
  • drew11mdrew11m Posts: 85
    Looking at a CPO 328i, 25k miles, just off a single-owner lease. Carfax showed it was in North Carolina until turned in and sold at auction after CPO'ing it. It did mention one accident, but didnt report on severity, however if it CPO'd im guessing it couldnt have been anything more than minor. Warrantied through March of 14 with the 2yr CPO add-on

Car is a sedan, comes with premium package w/heated seats, Sat radio, and moonroof. Grey dakota leather interior.

Dealer in Georgia im talking with it has it listed at 27,350, which seems reasonable for that mileage and package compared to other 08 328i's with similar mileage and packages.

Any thoughts appreciated!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,643
    The accident may have been minor, but I wouldn't automatically assume that because it's CPO.. Even though a CPO should meet certain standards, it's still one person at one local dealership making that determination... If you are serious about the car, get it checked out.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Guessing that car has to be a 2006 model?

edited March 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

Regarding the accident, the fact there was something was the only thing the carfax report showed on the car, where else would i be able to get any information? This is the carfax report that the dealer posted on their site.
    Point out the CarFax accident report to the dealer, and ask them to show you where the damage occurred.. Don't let any used car manager tell you that they don't see it.. They are skilled at spotting paint work..

If you get really serious about the car, find a reputable local body shop, and see if one of their people (body repair person) will go with you to look at the car (guessing that most guys would be happy to spend an hour of their time after work for an extra $50).

I bought a "factory official" BMW once, that I found out later had $4000 of body work done to the sheet metal on the passenger side of the car.. It was noted right on the BMW vehicle history report, because it happened while the car belonged to BMW NA... This didn't really involve any dishonesty, but it just goes to show that any car could have had significant body work...

I wouldn't pass up a good deal over a re-painted quarter panel... but, if the accident got into suspension issues, I'd take a pass.. I like to do my own damage..lol..

regards,
    kyfdx

great advice, thanks
    So, the salesman finally sends me the inspection report from when they acquired it. (although not the BMW CPO inspection report) Despite him telling me there was no damage, the report indicated multiple scratches and dings and "curb" rash, most of which was repaired and some of which was not. The tire tread depth was 6/32 on all 4, and the dealer indicated no replacement of tires. Dents were on all 4 doors,a quarter panel and the rear bumper too...

I am sure the bulk of this is cosmetic (tells you something about the previous buyer too) and has been buffed out or popped out, but at this point, I dont really trust them. They still haven't detailed the car or taken interior pictures, he keeps pushing me to sign documents from out-of-state, car sight unseen.

I just located a 2008 328xi in Connecticut with 25K miles, premium and cold packages and Ipod adaptor for a starting negotiating point of 27K. Best thing is my dad can personally inspect it.
    I would never buy a 3-yr-old car, sight unseen.. I think my limit would be 1 year and 10K..

There is no shortage of '08s coming off lease...wait for the right one...

regards,
    kyfdx

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I agree with kyfdx on this... You already seem uneasy about the dealer relationship on this car.

I suggest you go with your gut feeling and walk away. There are too many other cars to choose from...
    i did walk away. I dont like sales people who wont answer the questions you actually ask them.

I found a couple more 328xi's that fit the bill close to my father, he will go and do the due diligence (he has a 535) and inspect them and let me know if they are worth the investment.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • sirius9sirius9 Posts: 13
    edited April 2011
    Is a 2009 328xi with 28K miles, black/black w/ premium and cold weather at $26,500 a good deal? Not CPO, but 4 yr/50K maintenance. Dealer isn't sure, but should have the ipod hookup/bluetooth too.

Gonna visit the car on Monday to make sure it looks ok (body looks ok in pics) and if it does, getting my mechanic to inspect.

TIA.
  • arctic56arctic56 Posts: 17
    edited April 2011
    I paid that for a 2008 with 32K, premium with Nav, so I would say it sounds pretty good. I would want to know why it is not going to be CPO'd though. Have you checked the carfax on this car? It probably needs tires which those are run-flats and aren't cheap. Once again I would wonder why the dealer doesn't want it as a CPO considering the mileage. Ask to see the records on the car. They will have them and should be willing to show them to you. One other thing. Carfax only tells you what someone has reported, so they are not always fully reliable. Good luck.
  • DEALER ASKED FOR 22000 OTD .... HAS TEST DRIVE ON IT, BODY LOOK OK.. RIM HAS SOME SCRATCHES,
    INTERIOR ,, LOOKS FAIR.... NO NAV, NO PREMIUM , ONLY WEATHER PACKAGE...
    edited April 2011
    I have to figure out the deal on the CPO - the guy is a wholesaler so I don't know. Haven't seen any paperwork yet - but def want to see it all before I consider making the deal.

I've read lots of mixed reviews on run-flats...it's going to be my first experience with them. Can I use a penny to check the wear like any other tire? Do you know how much they should run me? TIA.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,480
    HINT: TURN OFF CAPS OR NO ONE WILL RESPOND.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I've read lots of mixed reviews on run-flats...it's going to be my first experience with them. Can I use a penny to check the wear like any other tire? Do you know how much they should run me?

Just fit regular tires when the RFTs wear out. Just buy a Continental or BMW mobility kit(electric air pump and sealant) and keep it in the trunk.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Okay, "a wholesaler?" only BMW dealers offer CPO cars, so that answers that question. It is possible that the dealer that took the car back off of lease either didn't want the car or had already completed his quota of CPO's. As I understand it, BMW dealers have to do X amount of CPO's to meet a quota. BMW finance is who drives this because they make the dealer buy them once they come in off of lease. They do however buy them low enough (way lower than residual) from BMW finance that they can put $1500 to $2000 back into the car and still sell at a profit including $2-$3K in commission. When the numbers don't add up, i.e., body repair, paint, tires, interior repairs that exceed this amount, they usually put the car through auction where the wholesalers and other used car dealers buy to resell. To be honest, you can go to a dealer, select a CPO car with known paperwork and negotiate your deal and know as much about your car as possible. Look for one that has been returned to the same dealership as it was originally purchased. A 2009 3 series where I live, with this mileage would be priced at around $28.9K and well within reach of what you are looking to pay for this one from a wholesaler. How is a wholesaler able to offer you the 4 year 50K mile warranty? Do your homework before you fall in love with a car that you regret later. Believe me, there are tons of Black on Black 328xi's out there and many more to come in off lease in the next few months.
    Not a bad idea if you live in a city where help is always right around the corner. If you travel long distances or back roads, maybe not such a good idea. Remember, if you go with standard tires, YOU HAVE NO SPARE if a sidewall blows, or other more significant damage that can't be repaired with a can of sealant and an air pump.
    Remember, if you go with standard tires, YOU HAVE NO SPARE if a sidewall blows, or other more significant damage that can't be repaired with a can of sealant and an air pump.

No spare? Wow, thanks for the heads-up!
    When was the last time you had a tire blow a sidewall? I've been driving since 1973 and I haven't had it happen once. And of course RFTs are only designed to run @100 miles once deflated. Sounds like you shouldn't stray too far from the city with those either. Then there is the continuing issue of RFT availability outside of major metropolitan areas.

• roopskroopsk Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I have question for the people out here. I am in market and searching for 2008 BMW 335xi CPO. I got a quote for 2008 BMW 335xi black on black which is having 23,752 miles on it and dealer is not willing to reduce the price. Infact they raised the price by almost 3k when I see the listing on internet but is willing to sell for 32k. This one is equipped with premium and cold packages, Ipod/Usb adapter and navigation. Can someone please let me know whether this a good price to go for 335xi or not?

Many thanks,
    RoopSk
    edited April 2011
    I couldn't get out of work on time to meet the guy, so he sold to a dealer. Who knows... Thanks for the helpful info to arctic and roadburner. Guess I have to wait til more 2009s are available.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,325
    coupe or sedan?
    If coupe, yes, its a very good deal for CPO.
    If sedan .... it is just an OK price for CPO. Not good, but not terribly bad.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Remember, BMW had some issues with the 2008 335 fuel pumps. Be sure to check service records. I saw two 335's on a dealer lot that they bought at auction that had previously been taken back by BMW under the lemon law. This doesn't mean that all are lemons', it just means that you need to do your homework on the car you are looking for.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,325
    I thought they couldn't CPO vehicles that were bought back under the lemon law, though ... ?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• wendy31wendy31 Posts: 1
    I have never leased before and cannot tell if I am getting a good offer. Can anyone help? The vehicle is a 2011 BMW 328i. MSRP is $39,100. It has premium and value package, no navigation. I do NOT know the money factor or residual value, etc but they are offering me this vehicle (which does have the space gray metallic color) for a monthly total of $435 (which includes all taxes). Lease term is 27 months. 10k miles a year. Drive off fee is $1,084, which includes the first payment of $435 and covers tax, title and registration. I am inclined to think this is a FAIR offer but can anyone who is more of an expert please provide their opinion??
    Thank you!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    This discussion is about buying used 3-series BMWs. You'll have better luck in our BMW 3-Series Lease Questions discussion.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• roopskroopsk Posts: 3
    Its sedan.
  • psyevolutionpsyevolution Posts: 26
    edited April 2011
    OTD:30500
    GOOD CONDITION.
    LAST OWNER ONLY DROVE HOME AND SUPERMARKET..
    3 YEAR WARRANTY . UNTIL 3/14