Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a Used 3-Series

Comments

• I ran my own Carfax report at the suggestion of my insurance company and it does indicate on accident on January 2006 with moderate damage. It doesn't give specifics but does say it was front impact. Would you move on based on this or still have it inspected. My Honda was hit from behind two years ago and I have $5000 damage and it continues to run fine. There was no structural damage. I reported this to the police and reviewed my own carfax report and it doesn't even show up as being reported.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,386
    Would you move on based on this or still have it inspected.

I'd move on; a hit reduces the value of the car by 10%-20%. Who knows if the repair work was performed to BMW standards? Why settle for a car that's been hit when you can probably find 30-50 other E46 3ers for sale within 100 miles of your home?

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    " ran my own Carfax report at the suggestion of my insurance company and it does indicate on accident on January 2006"

I suspected as much...

Move on.
  • Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the feedback and will move on.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,630
    Yeah, this is a plentiful car, so there's no reason to compromise.

• Has a premium package ( sunroof ) on it. The delears refuse to bring one more cents down from the sticker. That's their special. I do'nt know whether I shall wait untill 31 to knock them dead ( or maybe not), or not.
    There is another one with no premium package, same price, but only has 16000 miles one it. Any suggestions? Which one I should go with and whether there is potential to bring the price down more?
  • I came across a 2004 330ci coupe 45k mi for 23k that I'm interested in. It has sports package, premium package and 18" chrome rims (ick) which I would probably make the dealer switch out.

The original warranty has run out which which means I CANNOT get the extended maintenance plan....What do you think of the price? It definitely needs to be a bit lower, but how much lower...I don't know. I'd appreciate any opinions.

FYI this is from a Lexus dealer.
  • 06 325i with 10k miles for 30k . The car has sunroof, heated seats , auto . It doesn't had sports package, xenon.

Is this a good deal ?, how hard is to install bluetooth for the phone in this model.
  • It definitely should be lower. I just bought my first bmw a few weeks ago which is similar to the one you're looking at:

2005 330ci coupe
    15K miles
    Black exterior, black interior
    sports package (comes with 17's)
    premium package
    cold weather package
    bluetooth
    sirius satellite
    xenon headlights
    certified pre-owned

Price: $28K

good luck!
  • 2005 325xi - 23,991 miles.. Lease return.

Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Sunroof
    1 year and 25,000 miles left on Factory Warranty
    $25,700
    Gray with Gray leather interior.
    It's not CPO.
    It's being sold at a BMW dealership.

Good price? What should I do feel good about the maintenance history of the car?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,057
    Seems like that would be a perfect candidate for CPO, which makes me wonder why it isn't..

Make them show you the vehicle history report... Due to new BMW NA rules, they may not want to give you a copy, but they should let you see it.

The price would be decent as a CPO, but I'm not loving it, otherwise..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sky11sky11 Posts: 7
    Have been hearing a few grumblings about ZHP and vanos problems. Anyone have a definitive as to if the problem is wide spread? Should the ZHP be avoided because of this problem?
  • Thank you, kyfdx.

It seemed strange to me that it wasn't a CPO. Is there a price in which you would think it's a good deal? What in the history report would be a red flag?

Thanks so much!
  • Hi, just purchased a pristine 04 325ci convertible with 32k from Carmax for 25k New Years Eve. Drove it less than 24 hours/100 miles and the Service Engine light came on New Years Day. Knowing I had 5 days to return it to Carmax, I thought it would have it inspected by my local BMW dealer as it has 10 months left on warrenty and could get the service history before panicing and returning it to Carmax. It could have been a gas cap or something minor.I took it in first thing next morning and while I was inside waiting for a service advisor, another customer with the service foreman on a test drive backed into my 36 hour old car causing $800 damage.The customer accepted all responsibility agreed to pay out of pocket for body repair and my rental car went on his credit card.I got his information and he 's been very cooperative .The body shop said it would take 6 days for repairs.The service department has yet to isolate the unmetered air causing the engine light fault and will have to break it down to find the cause. I can't take it back wrecked to Carmax .I lose the 5 day grace because of body work .The check engine light may be an indicator of things to come. and I would have returned it otherwise. I have not contacted an attorney but accepted the rental car from the customer, and have asked service to locate the sourse of the fault before addressing the damage. What kind of diminshed value do I have for replacing the hood, done by BMW?Is the Service Engine Light fault code hunt an indicator of things to come? Should I sue, take it back to Carmax , accept a repaired car????? I am shattered.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    ouch. This is a tough spot. Well, good thing is that it is under warranty and still under the 4 year included service from BMW. So I would think that whatever the problem is should be covered, in which case I wouldn't be so worried about returning it, personally. But it is your own call, of course.

The damage is a problem, though. I don't know where you live or your DV laws, but it is something to look into.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Only $800 damage? I wouldn't worry about it. Take a photo of the damage for your records. This won't show up on CARFAX, and since the damage is so minor, I don't think DV will be an issue for you.

I don't think you are getting a hood replaced for $800. They are going to repaint yours I would guess.

Now having SAID all that----my two cents about DV not being a factor depends on the body shop doing an excellent shop. If the hood ends up a different color, then you have ANOTHER KIND of DV, called 'repair-related".

But I don't think you have any "inherent" DV, that is, loss of value just because the car was damaged. Reason? Damage not severe enough to matter to a buyer.

If you really like the car, don't let buyer's remorse throw you.

Damage not severe enough to matter to a buyer.

yeah, right. Tell that to the used car manager when you try to trade the car in 5 years. They WILL deduct for it, regardless of what carfax shows. And you know as well as I do that no shop can replicate the factory paint job, AND there is no way to get it to age the same as the rest of the car.

How is the used car manager going to know about it? You mean you are going to reveal an undetectable $800 repair done 5 years ago at trade in time? Well, okayyyyyyy........

Many NEW cars are delivered with prior body damage that customers never knew about and never WILL know about.

A good paint shop can paint a car as good as the factory, at least cosmetically, but not every paint shop can, I agree with you there.

So if an $800 repair job looks good, I don't see any DV here. It's too minor.

How is the used car manager going to know about it?

I thought you would know this. huh.
    well, ask any pro here on edmunds. they can supposedly spot paintwork a mile away, regardless of how good. At least that's what Terry always said, and I believe Bill, too.
    and, really, logic would dictate a car painted at the factory 10 years ago will not look the same as a panel on that car painted 7 years ago. its just the laws of decomposition.

Well they can spot any BAD paintwork, yes, I agree. But I'm talking about professionally done paintwork. I find the work of the best shops virtually undetectable.

I mean, if it were undetectable, how would Terry have known it was re-painted? ;)

Sure if you give your BMW over to the insurance company's "choice" for a paint shop (dare we say based on the good deal they get?) then you're asking for it.

I rather admire craftmanship and excellence so I'm here to defend it as still a possibility in the American skill set.

But I agree, it isn't something any shop can do right.

I mean, if it were undetectable, how would Terry have known it was re-painted?

I really don't know. But, unless I am mistaken, I believe he believes there is no such thing as undetectable.

A mighty boast! Perhaps a better man than I.....

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,386
    Some dealers have a device that measures paint thickness, and can tell if a panel has been repainted. That said, we had to replace the LF fender on my wifes 3er(due to an errant minivan) and when we traded it on her E39 the dealer gave us $1K over auction value.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Well if the dealer needs an electronic device to tell if it's been repainted, the customer coming onto the lot is not going to bring his I don't think, so that whole exercise borders on the pointless I think.

On the other hand, if the dealer spots something right off visually, so will the customer, or so will the person YOU sell it to.

But anyone trying to chisel me down on the price by going over the car with headphones and an x-ray machine can go take a leap. :shades:

• zico97zico97 Posts: 6
    Arctic exterior with tan interior, sports package, premium package, bluetooth,sirius satellite, xenon headlights and navigation. 21,000 miles-private party is asking $31,000.00. Checked Edmunds and KBB and this seems like a decent deal.
  • Hi...

Excuse my ignorance with this question, but is it possible to purchase an extended maintenance plan with a CPO 3 series machine, post '04 or '05 vintage? :confuse:

I've considered purchasing a new Bimmer, but I believe it would be smarter in the long run to purchase pre owned, Certified definitely, and I want to be covered by their maintenance free program with no cash out of pocket for the machine's maintenance whenever needed. Speaking for myself, this maintenance plan they have is a deal maker. :)

Please inform. I sure would appreciate it!

Many thanx...

Peace<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
  • I am considering between a 05 and 06 325i
    I know one is E90 and the other is E46

My question would be if I were to buy it now and sell it within 1.5 years, which one would cost me less financially?

It would be more expensive to buy 06 model but easier to sell and sold at a higher price. But depreciation is less on the 05 one? Higher insurance on 06 car? Free maintenance for both since I would get them under warranted. More expensive to repair e90 if accident happens?

Please share your inputs. Thanks
  • mb2232mb2232 Posts: 1
    Need some assistance. Looking to purchase a 2006 CPO 325i with low (less than 10k) miles. Realistically, what should I pay?

Seems that there are alot of these sitting on dealer lots. Have seen list prices ranging from 31k to 27k.

Is 26k a reasonable offer for a 325i, 6k miles and premium package?
    thanks
  • guedoguedo Posts: 21
    I have negotiated a deal on a 2006 328i and I am wondering if it is a solid deal. The car has 39000 miles and is CPO. Options include Prem Pkg, Nav, Sirius, Auto, Xenon and a few less important options that I cannot remember. The negotiated price is $24,707. Taking that, rolling $2,500 negative equity into the deal, nothing out of pocket. 60 months at 4.49% the payment is $549. I think this is an awesome deal, but just want some additional input.

Thanks in Advance~
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Ummm, I didn't know that BMW even built a 328i in 2006. :confuse:

Are you looking at a 2006 325i or a 2007 328i?

Best Regards,
    Shipo