Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have lodged a complaint with the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) via the Safercar.gov website. This vehicle is just to unsafe to drive and the manufacturer needs to recall and repair. It's not my fault the vehicle is this way and we're obviously not the only ones having these issues.
  • I'm having some of the same problems with my Tahoe. Mines the same year and LTZ...the problem started after I took it to the dealership to have a cracked dash replaced. They ran my battery down so I had to replace it. In the last couple of weeks the screen has turned white 4 times. I have to restart the motor to get the screen to work, all my saved radio stations and all have to be reset. It's at the dealership now. They can't find the problem since they haven't seen it happen. After reading this I wonder if my saved addresses are still ther. I'll look at that tomorrow when picking it up. The tech said it wasn't showing a code so nothing is wrong. Why would the radio/navigation system show a code if they knocked a wire loose or something like that? I've never been more frustrated with them it's like they don't believe me!!!!! :sick: :mad:
  • ag75ag75 Posts: 8
    Do you have a reference number or anything for those complaints? Because I will gladly add my name to them. Just dropped my tahoe off at the mechanic again today. It was dead all weekend after an eventful saturday afternoon trying to drive home. sunday brought the same issues. today when the mechanic is open...doesn't do a thing. Still hopeful for resolution, but remain doubtful.
  • t_text_tex Posts: 25
    Yes, my 2009 Tahoe is running great. No problems since the specialty auto electric shop worked on it.
  • Would it be possible for you tell all of us who are having problems, what the specialty electric auto shop did to resolve your issues?
    The one thing that most of these electical problems have in common is the GMLAN system. Other than that, each problem will most likely its own unique solution although it will probably be related to correcting a GMLAN component problem. In my 09 Tahoe's case, it was several components that were either a mismatched component or components that needed a software update. The only way to find out is for a qualified technician with a Tech 2 scanner to spend the time to check each component in the GMLAN serial loop to make sure it is, first, the correct component and, second, has its latest software update. Most dealer mechanics are NOT going to go thru this kind of problem solving process. Of course we wouldn't even be having these kinds of problems if the GMLAN system was engineered properly and had better troubleshooting protocols for the "color by the numbers" technicians at the dealerships.
  • Hey T_Tex,
    I have been experiencing these same exact problems with a used 2008 tahoe I just got 3 weeks ago! It has been such a frustrating ordeal. Do you mind sharing what the name of the Electronic Specialty shop was? I live in TX and want to see if I cant get my dealership's service dept in contact with the specialty shop so they might be able to stress how important it will be to check all the components as you mentioned in order to fix the problem. I took it in last week and they called yesterday to say it was ready/fixed. All that they did was replace the negative battery terminal wiring. As soon as i drove off the lot the car started doing the same thing again! Argh #BeyondStressedOut
    If you could help me locate that shop i would sincerely appreciate it.
    Yes, the shop is Lone Star Auto Electrical in southwest Houston.
    To date I have a new BCM, alternator and battery. Got the tahoe back from the shop as it seemed to be fixed. Had it one day and the same issues started up again...door locks going up and down, gauges all over the place, lights flickering, radio on and off, goes into neutral, etc.

Anyone have any new ideas? I can see GM really cares about the safety of their customers.
  • Actually, after my ignition switch was replaced I still had issues. That's when I took matters in my own hands and unhooked the battery overnight...and to be honest, I haven't had any issues since (knock on wood). To clarify, I unhooked both the positive and the negative and left it off for 16 hours. It has been running smoothly ever since.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's worth a try. After the new battery was installed, the mechanic drove it for three days without an issue. Then I get it back and it's the same deal all over again.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Did you give the "unhook the battery overnight" solution a try last night, ag75? Did it resolve anything?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I own an 08 Chevy Tahoe LT. When turning the car on in the morning, it hesitated, then reset all my radio stations/clock. I went to Auto Zone and they replaced the battery under warranty. I returned two weeks later to replace a second battery. I was driving on freeway when dashlights flashed off an on, door locks popped up and down and my radio/CD player began making funny noises as if it was loading CDs. I returned to Auto Zone and replaced battery again. This third battery is more powerful than the first two. A week later, pulled into my garage and turned off Tahoe. Went to use the key fab to lock doors and found that car was completely dead (no electrical power at all). Checked battery terminals - checked ok. A few minutes later, all power came back on and everything worked ok. Radio and clock had reset which confirmed that the entire car had lost electrical power. Three days later, the same incident took place when I parked the car in the garage. As soon as I turned off the car.... no electrical power at all. Popped open hood,checked battery cables,all checked ok. This time, it took a bit longer (5 minutes) for the power to return. What could be causing this?? My powertrain warranty expires in less than 3,000 miles. Would it cover these computer problems? Any help would be appreciated.
    I did, and no there is no improvement. The car is once again back at the mechanic. I am at a loss of what to do. I have taken every suggestion off this forum to the mechanic and we have tried all of them. The same problems persist.
    I don't know if your warranty will cover it, but I would suggest taking it to a mechanic or the dealership right away. As you can see from the posts, most of us have had to deal with this for quite some time. It has been occuring in my '09 intermittently for the last year and has only gotten substantially worse. It is dangerous when driving and the vehicle loses all power without warning.
  • I'm still experiencing electrical problems with my 08 Tahoe. Two days ago, while driving on freeway, door locks began popping up and down, dash gauges were going crazy and car appeared to be losing total electical power. I pulled into gas station who convinced me that my alternator was going out. (TEch gage Reading 1200 instead of the 1480... normal reading on a healthy alternator. I replaced the alternator. Now, last night. I parked the car and could hear the radio/CD making some funny noises for some time after I pulled the key out of the ignition. I started car but noticed that the radio hour clock had reset to 12:00 - meaning the electrical problems are still present. As I drove away, the Tahoe was running rough as if it wanted to die. I turned off the entire Vent/ A/C unit. Car headlights still flicking a bit. Has anyone thought about problems with a recall on the car's computer or electrical system?

I found this recall online: 08 chev Tahoe:
    Recall ID # 74931 - ELECTRICAL SYSTEM Hide Details
    Recall Date AUG 28, 2008
    Component ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Model Affected Tahoe
    Potential Units Affected 857735
    Recall Date:
    AUG 28, 2008
    Model Affected:
    2008 Chevrolet Tahoe
    Summary:
    GM IS RECALLING 857,735 MY 2006-2008 BUICK LUCERNE; CADILLAC DTS; HUMMER H2; MY 2007-2008 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT; CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE; GMC ACADIA, SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL, SATURN OUTLOOK; AND MY 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A HEATED WIPER WASHER FLUID SYSTEM. A SHORT CIRCUIT ON THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE WASHER FLUID HEATER MAY OVERHEAT THE CONTROL-CIRCUIT GROUND WIRE.
    Consequences:
    THIS MAY CAUSE OTHER ELECTRICAL FEATURES TO MALFUNCTION, CREATE AN ODOR, OR CAUSE SMOKE INCREASING THE RISK OF A FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL A WIRE HARNESS WITH AN IN-LINE FUSE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080; CADILLAC AT 1-800-982-2339 OR HTTP://WWW.CADILLAC.COM; CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438; SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876 OR HTTP://WWW.SATURN.COM, GMC AT 1-866-996-9436; OR HUMMER AT 1-800-732-5493; OR THROUGH THEIR WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM .
    Potential Units Affected:

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/chevrolet/tahoe/recalls/#ixzz1rvpNn6f7
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Hello traveler2012,

I can check to see if your vehicle is associated to this recall if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN; our email is socialmedia@gm.com if you would prefer to send it privately.

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I've had no issues since removing the negative and positive battery cables for 16 hours. You should give that a try.
  • bvilchezbvilchez Posts: 1
    I was stationed in Afghanistan for a year and I come back to my wife telling me that our 07 Tahoe has been doing the same things as mentioned in all previous posts. The scary part about it is that she has been traveling with our 3 kids in the vehicle with her when the vehicle shuts off and keeps coasting until it turns back on again. At one point she was in a remote location getting gas and the vehicle wouldn't start for about 10 minutes. I have an extended warranty that I purchased when I purchased the vehicle but my GM Certified warranties are up as the vehicle now has 99,000 miles. I took it a the dealer today in VA. I gave him the 021F TSB. Hopefully something comes about this.

Sarah, seeing so many vehicles are having this issue what is GM doing to rectify this situation? May I also send you my VIN to see if I am part of this recall?

Thank you
  • ck2012ck2012 Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Sarah,
    I have a 2008 Suburban LTZ I just purchased 2 weeks ago. My problems are very similar to the others listed here. First started when I was driving on the highway and used my turn signal, my radio powered down and back on by itself. Then my cruise control would just turn off while driving on the interstate. Now I am getting the total electrical shut down, all guages go dark and then vehicle seems to power back on at will. locks pop up and down, seat belt chimer starts chiming just as if I used the remote start and then inserted the key and turned it to the on position. I have had it at the dealer, tech even drove it home to try to duplicate the problem. They say they can't find a problem. I have noticed that the frequency of occurrences are when the temp outside is over 80 degrees, running the A/C and vehicle is warmed up. Also I have noticed the Volt guage at start up is reading over 14 volts and as long as it stays there it does fine but will drop down to around 11 or 12 volts after driving a while, thats when the problems occur. I just had a new alternator installed and as soon as I left the repair shop it started again.
    I had a similar problem with a Cadillac STS back in 2002 and they eventually had to replace the entire wiring harness after 4 months of diagnostic. They said there was a bare wire grounding out against the frame of the car.
    My vehicle has 77k miles and the factory powertrain is all that is active with the warranty.
    What are my options?
    Thanks