Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Take the bulbs out and check them carefully. Dual filament bulbs have two filaments in them, a bright filament, and dim filament. The dim filament should be lit when the running lights are on. The bright filament should lite when you put on the brake lights. The bulbs only fit in the socket one way, with the prongs on the bulbs at different heights, so note the difference when you take it out and put new back in.

What you will probably find, is a filament burnt out and/or laying across the other filament, connecting inappropriately the two circuits together with a resistance.
  • Returning to Va from NY City 5 hrs on return trip I-95 65mph when vehicle lost all power however all lights radio DVD remained on. Dash GaugeWarning lights all indicating electrical & power drive issues. Vehicle would not restart Nothing when key was turned to start. Emergency flashers worked for 2hrs until wrecker arrived and then battery was totally dead. Dealership could only advise the battery must have failed while driving computer system shut down. Replaced battery .
    No confidence in this not occuring again.
  • ret03ret03 Posts: 1
    the grand champion of an automobile is giving me a headache. the past couple of days while driving or while it is idlling in the am, my radio loses power(goes dead) my gauges all turn off with the exception of the tach and speedo and the service 4wd comes on in the driver information, sometimes happens when driving. im thinking that it is possibly a bad ground because i can bang on the dashboard and everything comes back on like normal. getting a little ridiculous hitting it every day. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have a 2003 chevy tahoe and everything worked perfect until one day when i tried to adjust the passenger side mirror i realized that it wasn't working and the same happened to the door window on that same side, anda even the lock doesn't work nothing on that door works i tried to look for a fuse that could me damaged but all of the fuses are good. and also the remote control doesn't work any more. i'll be glad if someone could please help me.
  • Thank you in advance for any help. My 05 Tahoe's (LS) right back window quit working, and my driver window seems slower. Also, on the air conditioning panel, where you slide the buttons (dual air) up and down for cooler or hotter, the light on the left went out (not a big deal except I'm ready to resell), also the air/heat blower works fine on 1-4 (although it has always blown a little on 0--irritating at times), but turn it to 5 and you get nothing. A couple of times the doors wouldn't unlock, I thought it was the keypad battery(didn't change it), but then it worked fine again. Can I fix these on my own (warranty out) and/or what do you think the dealer would charge? Thanks again.
  • One day my a/c start's to act up we were going out and I got stuck at a light my rpm's drop and s my battery start's to drop she died on me 3 times while driving any suggestions I took it to a shop and there telling me and it's the bulletin board please help
    I don't know what you mean by 'bulletin' board.
  • rcariagarcariaga Posts: 2
    not sure that's what the mechanic said he took all day try na fix it and he said that only the dealer ships can fix it
  • i HAVE A 2001 tahoe. and it has this problem when hurricane rita came a knocking it stalled in the freeway. complete dead was the battery. with some how messed up the fuel pump system. Now the fuel pump fuse breaker goes a 60 degree angle because if it put at it normal estate it will not turn on or cut off in middle of driving. has any one had this type of problem with other version of 2nd gen tahoe?
  • Did you find out what was happening? My 2003 Suburban is doing the excact same thing. Please let me know.

rm@wyerivermarine.com
  • my cargo door ajar light will not go off, there is no obstruction and I dont know what sensors might be malfunctioning
  • Any ideas? I attempted to start my tahoe this afternoon. It barely turned the engine a smidge and then clicked a few times. I heard the vehicle speakers clicking, quickly turned off the radio, and it continued to click for a minute or so. Tried to start vehicle and got absolutely no power. With a jump, go it to start, pushed on break and put in reverse and it died before it started moving. Couldn't get a good start after that. I few hours later, came back with high quality(4gage) cables, started it, backed it out and drove it home (3 miles). I tried to reproduce problem with loading electrical (AC/ back window defroster, lights, etc.. It continued to work, but periodically the RPMs would drop by half and lights would dim. Then, suddendly died and absolutely no power. (battery is new and tests good.) It is as if a master switch of some sort was shut off. If I provide an external jump, I believe it will start or get power in the vehicle again...ran out of daylight. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    The symptoms sound like either a bad battery, loose/corroded terminals or wires connectors to the battery, a bad alternator which isn't charging the battery up, or something is defective and is draining the battery down while it sits.
  • help22help22 Posts: 1
    I have an identical problem in my 03 Tahoe with only 49,000 Miles , HELP PLEASE , How did you correct the problem?
  • nwpnwp Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe Z71. I recently replaced the 5.7 with a GM Performance HT383E engine. The engine is touted to have 322 HP and over 430 lb ft of torque when mated with OEM injection, exhaust intake, parts. While the engine is stronger, it is not representative of the claimed increases. I had already fitted the 5.7 with edlbrock headers, a flowmaster cat back system, an AEM Brutforce Intake, and a SUPERCHIPS power programmer. These additions made significant and noticeable gains on the OEM engine with 160K miles. When I put the new engine in, I was able to mate all those bolt-ons in the swap. However, it doesn't produce the neck snap one would expect with almost 100 more HP and 100 more lb ft of torque from factory specs. It just seems to be starving. It sounds really mean and has a noticeable lope with the stroker configuration, and it is a little more peppy, but opting for a $5k upgrade instead of a $2k upgrade is simply not being realized. I'm wondering if I need a high-output igntion system to aid in the burning of the fuel. I've noticed that the residue leaving the tailpipe is leaving a good bit of soot, indicating unburned gas escaping.

Now...onto other new issues...the truck idles with a slight surge, sometimes elevating to a rise in RPMs, countered by a reduction that almost mimicks dieseling. In addition, my wipers only work randomly and start and stop on their own. My AC blower is also not working all the time. Sometimes all the settings work and sometimes only some of the settings work, and sometimes none at all. Also...my previous engine lost oil pressure and the gauge moved a bit back and forth for a few minutes. When the truck was returned to me after the swap , the oil pressure gauge was stuck on a wide open (far beyond the highest pressure reading) position. It does not fluctuate or bounce at all regardless of engine speed.

So...that's about it... I love my truck. I was eagerly anticipating the performance beast I put under the hood. It seems I didn't get much of a bang for my buck and I now have "gremlins or ghosts in the electrical system". Any ideas?
  • I have a 2003 Tahoe and I am unable to turn off the headlights at night when the vehicle is parked. I have had people tell me to hit the dome over-ride button three times in a row and it will shut them off, however it does not. Someone also told me to set the emergency brake. I have done that as well and it still does not turn them off at night. I called the local dealer and they do not have any other information. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Well not sure how you are keeping your battery from going dead, until you figure out the cause of this problem. Consider pulling the fuses for the lights, or the relays. Be sure to put them back before needing to drive at night.
  • Sorry I just realized that it seems as though the lights are staying on when the ignition is turned off, but that is not the case. What I am asking is how do I shut the headlights off at night while the vehicle is still running and it is in park
    In our 97 Burb, that was done by putting the parking brake on. In our 07, you turn the headlight switch from "auto", counterclockwise to the "O" position.

I think your 03 is more like the 07, but I believe it's written up in the owners manual one way or the other.
  • I have a 99 tahoe. my dome like , gauge lights headlights, pertty much all lights flicker all together very. any ideas?