Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems

Comments

• I have a 2005 Tahoe and today the seat heater buttons and memory position seat buttons quit working on the drivers side and the seat heater buttons on the passenger side also quit working. Thought it might be a bad fuse, so changed that but they still do not work. Any ideas on what could be wrong and how much to fix?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,078
    2_blessings,
    I would recommend taking your vehicle to your local dealer of choice. They will be able to assist you with your problem and provide you a quote for the repair.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2000 Suburban is doing the same thing. Battery is now dead. When I go to start the vehicle I get a bunch of buzzing and clicking. The lights on the dash blink off and on. I have never had any problems with this vehicle till now. I wanted to know if you ever got your vehicle fixed and what the problem was. Also, something strange was the other day and alarm went off while we were driving. The radio was off ..it sounded like one of those warnings that come over the radio when there is an emergency alert

Seems like an electrical gremlin.
  • ghosk,
    I have started experiencing the same problem, I just got of the phone with Chevy checking on recalls, they did not find any for my particular vehicle, however they did post a special bulletin SB07120 Battery Cable mis-routed. On some vehicles apparently one of the battery cables comes in contact with the power steering pulley from time to time and wears down the insulation. Some times the bar wire will come in contact and can cause issues with lights flickering, vehicle not to start. I'm in the process of checking this out myself and will post results. Also you may check and see if your vehicle may fall under recall 07007B or 07033. From what I understand this covers re programming the ECM to keep various accessories from draining the battery after the vehicle is shut off. To check to see if you your vehicle falls under any of these recalls or special bulletins call 1-800-222-1020. I was able to get through pretty quick. Hope this is some helpful information.
  • my 2006 tahoe z71 has been perfect until the last 2-3 years when i started having one electrical issue after another..same thing over and over...in and out of the dealership over and over..sometimes for days. first the dvd wouldnt work..took like 10 visits for that to finally resolve. then i had the battery issue others have mentioned. heard if you leave ANYTHING on..phone charger, etc..it will zap it. greattt. just got stranded in the mtns after 20 min of shopping and needed a new battery. now i just dont trust it. its still making screeching noises from the radio when i turn the car off. its getting old. the car doesnt even have 55k mi on it yet. thank goodness its still under warranty (extended) and my dealership has been great...but its the hassle and now the lack of trust. we need to upgade to a suburban but now im hesitant to get another chevy..
    thoughts? :confuse: :lemon:
  • I just got another mssg from someone else - the dealership ended up replacing the battery cables..... after four batteries and being jumped once a month, we have gone 1 month without calling our tow truck driver. We also replaced the last battery with a Sears Die Hard - but before the cables were replaced the battery discharged like all the others . . . was still new enough that it could be revived.... We are keeping our fingers crossed but we still carry jumper cables with us - ridiculous for a car that cost us over $55,000 and is a 2007.
    carcurious54,
    Please let us know if your problem comes back!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi, I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ 1. It is the top of the line Tahoes that Chevrolet put out in 2008. Out of the several Tahoes sold in my town ours is the only one that has an electrical problem and it is not the battery. It has been in the shop for the same problem 9 times and GM will not step up to the plate and fix the situation. I keep hanging on to this Tahoe because it came from the factory loaded and not built at the dealer. The dealership has done every thing possible to fix it and I realize they can only do so much. I called several attorneys and all they want to do is get a refund from GM. If there is a GM rep reading this, please note, I am going to the media, on all news television stations in town and bad mouthing GM. GM got a bailout from the taxpayer but when it comes time for us to get help GM is no where to be found. We no longer want our Tahoe, I think that we have been patient enough. It is defective and "WE WANT A REPLACEMENT" :lemon: .
  • Hi, I have a 2009 Tahoe LTZ. Though we have had many problems as well with our Tahoe...our main problem is the navigation/radio screen turns off & on...we have had it to the dealer 5 times...they can't "duplicate this problem"...they have replaced it once & it continues to give us trouble...it now has some addtional problems: directions will not download to car & at the start up we get a white system LOADING screen...making the radio, navigation, & back up camera screen USELESS & the clock each time the vehicle is turned on is showing the wrong time!?!?!...just took in for service again last week...I am so frustrated...& just so they couldn't say that they "couldn't duplicate this problem" I sent a picture to the service manager!...after getting serviced was told it is "updates from OnStar" per service dept...WHATEVER! No one else I know has any of these issues...Makes me so angry!!! Any help would be greatly apprecited.... :confuse:
  • Don't know what to tell you. I know that the dealership can only do so much. When you buy a new vehicle, you have to remember that the dealership is selling you what they presume a vehicle with no problems. It is up to the manufacture to step up and do what they need to do for us. After all they did get a bailout from us. I am not one of those political types, but it make sense. I know what I'm going to do. :shades:
  • I forgot to mention one thing and that is that I still would not buy anything other than a Chevy, Ford or Dodge?. Even though Dodge is in the hands of Fiat it is still an American name plate. :blush:
    jdtech01 ,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage as well as your user name from here? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I have an 07 Tahoe that periodically will be completely dead in our garage. Probably 15-20 times since we got it in September of 06, we special ordered it, my wife will go to leave and there will not even be enough juice to turn on the dash lights. Its been probably 7-8 month's since the last time it happened but it happened again this morning. There has only been 1 instance where it did it back to back days. Usually it is 3-6 months in between times. I have tested the battery and it tests fine, so I don't feel that is the problem. My dealership sounded shocked and then wouldn't return my phone call. I did turn it in under warranty at least once and I think twice for the same issue. After talking to an employee they told me that ie a common problem with the 07 yr model and that there are 29 different computers on the car. It is next to impossible to know which one it is unless his diagnostic is connected while it is happening. After seeing how many people are having this problem surely GM should have a recall on something.
  • Also, nothing is left on because when I connect the battery charger to it, nothing comes on in the vehicle. I bought her one of those jump boxes, and that doesn't even give it enough juice to spin over. Once I use the battery charger to crank it and Let it run for a little while everything is fine, at least for a few months anyway.
  • smorton1smorton1 Posts: 7
    This is excactly what I have been expericing. I'm currently arguing with GM to get this fixed.
    jsmall423,

My name is Jared and I am assisting Christina on Edmunds. Please email us with your contact information, VIN and mileage. Also include your Edmunds username and a brief description of the issue.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service
  • steveqsteveq Posts: 14
    Jared,

Can you also help me with this problem? I have already taken my 2007 Tahoe regarding this problem and they couldn't find anything. I now have another appointment this Monday but I anticipate that they will still not solve the problem. I will email you my contact information, VIN, and mileage.

Steve
    Steve,

I would like to look further into your situation. Could you please email me your contact information, VIN and current mileage? Please include a description of the problem you are experiencing.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • exintrunkexintrunk Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tahoe with a very intermittent issue. Occasionally after starting the car the message "rear access open" appears and all the interior lights come on like the door is open. It is not. This may stay this way as i drive down the road for up to 1/2 hour and then just turn off and everything is normal. this may occur every time I start it today or it may not happen for months. there appears to be nothing I can do to influence it either to act up or stop acting up. One interesting this is that the rear wiper will work when in this condition. Any ideas?
  • keithsplacekeithsplace Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    04 Tahoe:I had the same problem with my 04 Tahoe. It started
    months ago, the heater kicked on with the a/c on high, it would only blow hot air.
    Couldn't figure out what was going on, sort of an uncomfortable ride home, lucky it was short. Problem cleared after it sat and re stared it, and only did it one time more.
    Then a couple weeks ago the battery was dead in the morning. Had to jump it.
    I purchased the Tahoe used 1 year ago, and the battery was about 4 years old so I put a new battery in. Then I had a dead battery again after a couple days of not running the vehicle, I had to jump a couple of times the next week. I checked the battery and alternator free at the auto parts store, both checked good.
    Took to trusted shop and cleared all codes then found one that would not clear or reset, the mode accuator for the hvac system was bad.
    Part was $199 , total bill 391.00. Will post later if this did not fix the battery drain and weird heat a/c problem.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Suspect the hatch or window close switch
  • dietz22dietz22 Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with the fuse on my 2003 Tahoe. Each time I replace the fuse that controls the dash board lights and rear tail lights, within a minute it blows again. I just replaced the entire headlight switch thinking that could be the problem, but again, within a minute or so, the fuse popped again! Any ideas?
  • wpullianwpullian Posts: 1
    Quite funny everyone is having these problems. Now I know Iam not alone. I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe. I can't leave it on or I will need a jump and the air in the rear comes on by itself . Battery is fine. Now I can't a diagnostic reading because that device is not working. This is crazy. GM need ot fix their vehicles.
  • ldreesldrees Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem on my 2002 Z71. Can't figure out what's causing it either. The other day when I got into the car the radio was on ( no key in ignition) then about half a mile down the road the radio went silent and all lights on my dash went out. We replaced a fuse, but it immediately popped again. The car starts and runs fine right now, but yesterday when I was drivin it the door locks went off(on). Really stinks because I was looking at buying a new one in September, but this has me really questioning that decision. Any ideas on how to fix??
  • gzrglydegzrglyde Posts: 2
    We could not unlock the 05 Tahoe with the remote. Figured battery was dead in remote. Opened door with key and the security light came on...started and drove home. Changed batteries in fobs. This morning, neither fob would unlock the Tahoe. Used the key. Put key in ignition, truck started then immediately shut off...4 times. Power locks would not work with fob or door switches. Checked fuses...good. Tried ignition again, and it started and ran. Power locks worked. Turned off ignition, got out...locked with fob. Tired fob 2, would not work. Tried fob 1, doors unlocked after 3-4 second delay. Got in, started fine...wondered why interior lights did not come on when doors were unlocked with fob. Turned off ignition and turned on over hear light above dash...both lights pulsed and I could hear a clicking noise from the dash. Turned overhead lights off. Turned on headlights...they also pulsed and I could hear the clicking. Might this be an ignition or other relay?
    gzrglyde,
    I apologize for your concerns. I would recommend atleast having the vehicle diagnoised by a GM dealer. This will help you in atleast figuring out what the problem is. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • sean61sean61 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71 with 117k miles. A couple of weeks ago some wierd things started to happen while I was driving. While driving, the check engine light came on and then immediately went off. When this happened, all the locks cycled. That happened several times on the 15 minute drive home from work. I didn't have any further issues for 3 days. The next time I had trouble, the same thing happened several times and then my ABS light and E-brake light came on and stayed on and the message center told me to service my brakes. About five minutes after that, the message center told me that I had reduced engine power and the throtle quit responding to added pressure while I "coasted" to a stop. Turned the tahoe off and it would not turn back on. Sat on the side of the road for about 30 minutes and tried to start it again. This time it started with no trouble. On the remaining drive home, the locks cycled a few more times but no other issues.

The next morning I drove it to the Chevy dealership and explained what was happening. They checked the car and there were no recorded fault codes in the system. According to them, the battery was bad and the battery connections were loose and that was causing the issue. I replaced the battery and continued to have the same issues. When I took it back to the dealership, they said the battery connections were loose again and that I just needed to tighten them back down if it happened again. I said ok and left. On the way home I encountered the same problems and checked the battery connections - they were tight.

I drove it to an independent shop and explained what was happening to them. They came to the same battery conclusion and modified the connections so that there was more contact area. This did not work so I returned it to them.

Last Monday they took it for a test drive and it broke down on them. They walked back to the shop and called me to explain what happened. When the tahoe broke down they said they thought they could smell burning wires but could not find any burnt wires between the battery and started. The starter was removed to check and was said to be needing replacement. I spent $350 to have that work done. When they test drove it again, it again broke down on them. This time they could not get it started unless they hit the dash. When they stopped hitting the dash, the car would turn off. This of course led them to think the issue has something to do with the dash. They removed the dash and could not find any burnt wires but saw some burn marks on the back of the instrument cluster. They now want to replace the instrument cluster ($400+) with not promise that will fix the problem. Oh, and as of Friday, the tahoe does not run at all right now.

Has anybody on here encountered the same issues and if so, what was the cause. I can't afford to keep fixing random things that might be the cause of the problem just to find out they are not.
  • tuckerbytuckerby Posts: 1
    Ohhhhhhhhhh Man, I had this same problem with my 2003 z71 Suburban with 150k. I am going to tell you right now that things will not get any better.

It started with the locks randomly cycling while driving, I didnt think to much of it at the time because I thought someone accidently hit the unlock/lock button. From there on, it was all down hill. The reduced engine light would randomly come on while on the highway and I would have to pull off. I traced the problem to an electrical wire (Yellow and Black) that led toward the back of the engine (sorry for being vague but I got rid of the car and can't remember the exact location). It seemed to have some corrosion on it and when i cleaned it off and fiddled with it the car would resume running regular. This helped but when I took it to the dealer and had them look at it they told me that there were some loose wires connecting to the engine mount. The repaired that and also replaced the instrument cluster.

2 weeks later while on a vacation I was going about 75 mph on the high way and my car turned itself off: electricity, Power steering, power brakes, everything went, my suburban basically died on the highway. I got it off the road and I had it towed to the dealership. They told me I was looking at around $10,000 worth of damage. Transmission went, 4x4 module went, Engine had to be rebuilt, bearings exploded and caused other damage.

I got a second opinion and he quoted it at $8,000. I wasn't going to pay for it so we ended up buying a 2010 z71.

Good luck with it, but i'd get rid of it before disaster strikes.
  • shaymamashaymama Posts: 1
    Whats going on??? Occassionally my battery will not start. It and the alternator has been tested and is good. Today, my "change oil" appeared and it showed it was at 0%, but the oil is absolutely fine ALSO, I can use my remote to try and unlock my doors and it will honk at me like its going to but it dosnt, I have to manually unlock the door. The battery thing scares me! Its completely unpredicatable and Im afraid that this pregnant lady is going to get stranded. Our local mechanic and dealership could not find an issue. Im not making things up, my tahoe has issues I need fixed. Any suggestions?
  • 2005 tahoe..battery light and odometer light continue to blink when turned off. open door and windows still work and radio still plays. i have a clicking noise from under the dash on passenger side. is this a big problem???