Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Tahoe Electrical Problems

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Suspect the hatch or window close switch
  • dietz22dietz22 Posts: 1
    I'm having a problem with the fuse on my 2003 Tahoe. Each time I replace the fuse that controls the dash board lights and rear tail lights, within a minute it blows again. I just replaced the entire headlight switch thinking that could be the problem, but again, within a minute or so, the fuse popped again! Any ideas?
  • wpullianwpullian Posts: 1
    Quite funny everyone is having these problems. Now I know Iam not alone. I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe. I can't leave it on or I will need a jump and the air in the rear comes on by itself . Battery is fine. Now I can't a diagnostic reading because that device is not working. This is crazy. GM need ot fix their vehicles.
  • ldreesldrees Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem on my 2002 Z71. Can't figure out what's causing it either. The other day when I got into the car the radio was on ( no key in ignition) then about half a mile down the road the radio went silent and all lights on my dash went out. We replaced a fuse, but it immediately popped again. The car starts and runs fine right now, but yesterday when I was drivin it the door locks went off(on). Really stinks because I was looking at buying a new one in September, but this has me really questioning that decision. Any ideas on how to fix??
  • gzrglydegzrglyde Posts: 2
    We could not unlock the 05 Tahoe with the remote. Figured battery was dead in remote. Opened door with key and the security light came on...started and drove home. Changed batteries in fobs. This morning, neither fob would unlock the Tahoe. Used the key. Put key in ignition, truck started then immediately shut off...4 times. Power locks would not work with fob or door switches. Checked fuses...good. Tried ignition again, and it started and ran. Power locks worked. Turned off ignition, got out...locked with fob. Tired fob 2, would not work. Tried fob 1, doors unlocked after 3-4 second delay. Got in, started fine...wondered why interior lights did not come on when doors were unlocked with fob. Turned off ignition and turned on over hear light above dash...both lights pulsed and I could hear a clicking noise from the dash. Turned overhead lights off. Turned on headlights...they also pulsed and I could hear the clicking. Might this be an ignition or other relay?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    gzrglyde,
    I apologize for your concerns. I would recommend atleast having the vehicle diagnoised by a GM dealer. This will help you in atleast figuring out what the problem is. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • sean61sean61 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71 with 117k miles. A couple of weeks ago some wierd things started to happen while I was driving. While driving, the check engine light came on and then immediately went off. When this happened, all the locks cycled. That happened several times on the 15 minute drive home from work. I didn't have any further issues for 3 days. The next time I had trouble, the same thing happened several times and then my ABS light and E-brake light came on and stayed on and the message center told me to service my brakes. About five minutes after that, the message center told me that I had reduced engine power and the throtle quit responding to added pressure while I "coasted" to a stop. Turned the tahoe off and it would not turn back on. Sat on the side of the road for about 30 minutes and tried to start it again. This time it started with no trouble. On the remaining drive home, the locks cycled a few more times but no other issues.

The next morning I drove it to the Chevy dealership and explained what was happening. They checked the car and there were no recorded fault codes in the system. According to them, the battery was bad and the battery connections were loose and that was causing the issue. I replaced the battery and continued to have the same issues. When I took it back to the dealership, they said the battery connections were loose again and that I just needed to tighten them back down if it happened again. I said ok and left. On the way home I encountered the same problems and checked the battery connections - they were tight.

I drove it to an independent shop and explained what was happening to them. They came to the same battery conclusion and modified the connections so that there was more contact area. This did not work so I returned it to them.

Last Monday they took it for a test drive and it broke down on them. They walked back to the shop and called me to explain what happened. When the tahoe broke down they said they thought they could smell burning wires but could not find any burnt wires between the battery and started. The starter was removed to check and was said to be needing replacement. I spent $350 to have that work done. When they test drove it again, it again broke down on them. This time they could not get it started unless they hit the dash. When they stopped hitting the dash, the car would turn off. This of course led them to think the issue has something to do with the dash. They removed the dash and could not find any burnt wires but saw some burn marks on the back of the instrument cluster. They now want to replace the instrument cluster ($400+) with not promise that will fix the problem. Oh, and as of Friday, the tahoe does not run at all right now.

Has anybody on here encountered the same issues and if so, what was the cause. I can't afford to keep fixing random things that might be the cause of the problem just to find out they are not.
  • tuckerbytuckerby Posts: 1
    Ohhhhhhhhhh Man, I had this same problem with my 2003 z71 Suburban with 150k. I am going to tell you right now that things will not get any better.

It started with the locks randomly cycling while driving, I didnt think to much of it at the time because I thought someone accidently hit the unlock/lock button. From there on, it was all down hill. The reduced engine light would randomly come on while on the highway and I would have to pull off. I traced the problem to an electrical wire (Yellow and Black) that led toward the back of the engine (sorry for being vague but I got rid of the car and can't remember the exact location). It seemed to have some corrosion on it and when i cleaned it off and fiddled with it the car would resume running regular. This helped but when I took it to the dealer and had them look at it they told me that there were some loose wires connecting to the engine mount. The repaired that and also replaced the instrument cluster.

2 weeks later while on a vacation I was going about 75 mph on the high way and my car turned itself off: electricity, Power steering, power brakes, everything went, my suburban basically died on the highway. I got it off the road and I had it towed to the dealership. They told me I was looking at around $10,000 worth of damage. Transmission went, 4x4 module went, Engine had to be rebuilt, bearings exploded and caused other damage.

I got a second opinion and he quoted it at $8,000. I wasn't going to pay for it so we ended up buying a 2010 z71.

Good luck with it, but i'd get rid of it before disaster strikes.
  • shaymamashaymama Posts: 1
    Whats going on??? Occassionally my battery will not start. It and the alternator has been tested and is good. Today, my "change oil" appeared and it showed it was at 0%, but the oil is absolutely fine ALSO, I can use my remote to try and unlock my doors and it will honk at me like its going to but it dosnt, I have to manually unlock the door. The battery thing scares me! Its completely unpredicatable and Im afraid that this pregnant lady is going to get stranded. Our local mechanic and dealership could not find an issue. Im not making things up, my tahoe has issues I need fixed. Any suggestions?
  • 2005 tahoe..battery light and odometer light continue to blink when turned off. open door and windows still work and radio still plays. i have a clicking noise from under the dash on passenger side. is this a big problem???
  • gzrglydegzrglyde Posts: 2
    I ended up taking mine to the dealer and when they hooked it up to the computer, it had about 40 faults. Ended up being a Body Control Module and some bad grounds. Been fine since.
  • Thanks. Just drove it down the road and now working fine....was the module expensive?
  • hre358hre358 Posts: 2
    Hi sean61, did you get your electrical problem fixed with the tahoe? If so, what caused it, I seem to have the same problem.
    Harry
  • Recently I began to hear very random clicks coming from inside the dash. They are sometimes in rapid succession, sometimes just a few here and there. They clicks sound like a small relay of some sort, but other than the irritation of the noise nothing seems to be affected (except my radio amp went dead once, but after starting the car up the next day the amp was fine. Weird)

Any idea what this clicking might be?
  • hre358hre358 Posts: 2
    Hi sean61,
    MY PROBLEM IS FIXED! Same as yours so fix will probably work for you too. The symptoms were the same, abs, brake, and engine lites on, brake service warning, door locks clicking, and engine wanting to run in idle mode. The problem was a bad black with yellow stripe wire coming from wire harness on top passenger side of engine and going to back of engine. It was damaged where it attached to rear of engine. We just spliced a new wire to it and ran it to front of head to a bolt. YEAH! It really did fix it!!!! Hope you see this and it helps you or anyone else having this problem.
    Harry
  • westjr88westjr88 Posts: 2
    I have an '07 Tahoe and just recently the check engine light came on and later that afternoon, the voltage gauge started going crazy and the fuel gauge stopped working. The next day, my wife was driving to work and it slowed and the reduced engine power light came on and it started coming and going and had no power. She managed to get it back to a shop near home where they changed a crank sensor and the battery. Same problem. Took it to another mechanic who put it on the computer and it showed 62 codes. So far, i have $535 in it and same problem. I know it has to be some little wire somewhere or something stupid like that but i'd like to find it before i sink alot more money into it. Anyone ever have the same type of issues? Thank you for your time. :confuse:
  • ldreesldrees Posts: 2
    UPDATE: Electrical issue fixed. My problem ended up being that my radio had a short in it due to the kids putting a piece of change in it. I unhooked the radio, put in the new fuse and it never blew again. I replaced the radio about two weeks ago and life is good.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Heh, what is it about kids, slots and nickels? :-)

Thanks for reporting back.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• pwaggpwagg Posts: 1
    I am recycling a Military Police 2007 Tahoe for a small state police department. All the windows, locks, mirrors, front A/C fan, and the all gauges & ODO are not functioning. My first thoughts are during removal of police equipment something came unpluged or damaged...any ideas on a good place to start looking???
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Probably more likely that they blew a fuse when taking out all the old stuff. Check all of the fuse boxes, use a voltmeter if necessary to see what has power, and what doesn't. Track it back on the electrical schematics to see what is blown.