Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai wants Jaguar. Good idea?

1235»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,344
    Aston Martin is a high priced boutique car. Jaguar can't survive using AM's formula I don't think---they are two different animals. Astons are 1/4 million dollar cars! Taking Jaguar to that price point would be lunacy don't you think?

Problem is, Jaguar is competing in a very mature U.S. market and in their price bracket is up against the most formidable global competitors imaginable....Benz Lexus BMW.

I think their only hope is to build something no one else is building....for openers, I'd encourage them to build a competitor to the Corvette, for the same price (if they can).

If that works, go head to head with the Dodge Charger RT next. This would put Jaguar right back in the sweet spot of their glorious older history...when they had the E-Type and the Mark II 3.8 sedan....both dominant in their class and priced attractively.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Ulrich Bez and other employees will be buying out Aston Martin so he won't be going to Jaguar.

You are right about adding E-Type and Mk II replacements. Those two combined with the new XK and XJ would make a great lineup.

Making the Corvette the target of the E-Type is a neat idea. Imagine Connolly leather, beautiful wood and lots of muscle.
    Yum, I'm drooling. True they only sell maybe 34,000 Vettes a year but look what it does for GM's image.

• The E Type with tri-carb setup (265 HP) compared well with the 283 c.i. fuelie (290 HP) and dual carb (270 HP) Corvettes.

The XK-E had 4 wheel disc brakes 5 years before the Corvette.

The new E version should aim at the 400 HP mark. Two seat roadster and coupe are enough: the old 2+2 was sort of pointless.
    I wonder if Jaguar could buy engines from Ford (like the Mustang), tear them down and machine and balance them and maybe put a low PSI blower on them? That should save a bundle in engine development costs.

I mean Porsche does very well with a car that is by no means "smooth and silent"...the Porsche is kind of electric and jittery, which is how IMO an exciting sports car should be.

• That's a good solution. The Mustang V-8 with balancing and a few hi strength parts is an easy 400 HP, 450+ with 8 psi of boost.

IMO if the styling and interior of the modern XK-E were right the engine source would be a non-issue to most buyers.
    That's true. The original E Type engine was, even in 1961, as old as dirt.....developed during WWII....

We could call the V-8 sedan the Mark I--same basic engine, maybe without the SC....more like Chrysler's 300M...that bulky, solid look.

The original Mark II 3.8 sedan was, after all, the favorite "gangster car" in all British movies, so that should tell you the image it was projecting at the time....

the only luxury cars Jaguar was making was the big Mark car...at the time of the E Type, I guess it was a Mark VII or Mark VIII...and those were pretty incompetent cars.

So Jaguar, after the E Type, seems to have abandoned what it did well, that is sports cars and sport sedans, and embraced what it didn't do well, that is, luxury land yachts. The XJ6 may have been a financial necessity, and let's face it, in Britain it was a real success...but eventually the car's problems just ground down Americans' patience, and Benz and Lexus put the nails in the coffin.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,688
    wonder if Jaguar could buy engines from Ford (like the Mustang), tear them down and machine and balance them and maybe put a low PSI blower on them? That should save a bundle in engine development costs.

Blasphemy!

A Jag with a Ford engine :cry: !

You yourself have said that the Jag DOHC six was a great engine and that those who've replaced them with American V8s were missing the best part of their Jaguar.

How about a new generation of super smooth DOHC straight sixes with blowers on 'em?

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Problem is, developing a whole new engine can cost hundreds of millions of dollars.. It's hard for jag to recoup that money when they move as few units as they do.
    Bingo! You're right on that one, which is why I was suggesting the economy of borrowing an engine from the parent company. Hey, doesn't Jaguar already use a parent Ford engine in some models or did I just make that up? :confuse:

Yes--jaguar's v6 is a modofied duratec ford v6. I drove an x-type when it first came out and was pretty unimpressed with the engine. Somewhat wheezy unless it was revved way up, and very lame fuel economy numbers: 17/23.

A much stronger c350 is rated at 20/28 mpg, and bmw's new 300 hp 3-series has been tested 0-60 in 4.9 and is rated at 19/29. Jaguar's 6 is wayyyyy behind the other luxury makes, in other words.

The v8 is a jag-only design, however. I drove a xj8 and thougt it was decent, though not spectacular. IMO the xj8 is the only non-R jag sedan worth getting, and that's only because you can pick up a 3 year old certified one so relatively cheaply.

Volvo (ford PAG brethren) does have an inline six that that they had porsche design for them.. Perhaps an iteration of this engine with turbo(s) would make sense for jaguar?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,688
    Volvo (ford PAG brethren) does have an inline six that that they had porsche design for them.. Perhaps an iteration of this engine with turbo(s) would make sense for jaguar?

You sure that's an inline 6? Volvo has a straight 5 but I'm unaware of an I-6. :confuse:

I never get the important memos :cry: .

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

The i-4 i-5 and i-6 is the same modular engine, an i-6 with cylinders lopped off.

Isn't that interesting?

Oh, and look what some searching got me:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/06/15/new-volvo-i-6-may-spread-to-ford-jaguar/

But volvo's had an i-6 in the s80 for years now.. It was the only transverse i-6 i think. A packaging problem, that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S80
1235»
This discussion has been closed.