Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO Reliability and Maintenance Costs

Comments

• On my second '04 GTO. The first was totalled October 6, 2007. A 16 yr. old kid who had his license for 4 days pulled out in front of me. That car had 94k on it, the issues it had: door lock actuator ~30k miles, tie rods 90k miles and the rear gears were starting to whine pretty bad about a month or so before it's untimely demise. I liked the car so much I found another used '04 GTO with 29k miles and bought it 3 weeks ago. I'm VERY sold on these vehicles.....Mark.
  • I have a 2004 GTO with the water leak . Please , do you know how it can be fixed ! Thank You .
  • cappgoatcappgoat Posts: 8
    I had a very small leak somewhere in the hoses. The dealer dealt with it in no time and I haven't had any more problems with it.

What is this i am reading about the gas cap? I have never had an issue nor have I received a letter from GM regarding an extended warranty. Someone fill me in.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,836
    cappgoat maybe yours is a late 06 and they made those with more reliable gas caps? the ratchet mechanism seems to fail on the caps - it just sits there in the tank - no fuel spills but fuel evaporates. OBD does not seem to notice the pressure loss, but I won't tell EPA if you won't. I drove for months before realizing the cap was not working - the mpg cost was considerable since i wasn't driving it much like I do now.
    in economy news, lately this winter I think my 05 M6 gets better mpg with 87 octane than 91 - at least as good.
    Was the extended warranty for the whole car or just the gas cap. If it for the whole car I hope my gas cap messes up, LOL! I bot an extended warranty for it but it only runs for 4 years. The way I put miles on the car (a year and a half and only 16k on it) I would be able to have this feela warrantied a long time.

It is interesting to hear about the 87 octane mpg boost. My concern with it is the overall health of the engine. In my daily use, which includes a reasonable amount of freeway driving, I get 17 mpg in town. I have been out on trips on the highway in it and got 22-23 mpg, which I figure is pretty good for this car. Granted, I don't drive it hard or too fast usually, so that helps I guess. But hell, if these prices go any higher I may be looking for some economy beater to use and let the Goat sit more.
    hey there cappygoat - heh heh - it's just the gas cap warranty that has been extended to 100k or whatever. I don't have any extended-warranty on mine. 49k miles so far (it's an 05).
    I don' t fill it with 87 octane in summer but I've used 87 octane extensively in many vehicles for which premium-gas is "recommended", including many Z28s. And who knows, maybe I'm merely getting equal mpg with the 87 in the goat.
    As far as I know, any gasoline-powered car sold in USA can run on 87 octane without any damage or risk of damage and without any warranty-voiding. This includes Ferraris, Benzes, you name it. Sure there *might* be a power-loss noticeable and maybe mpg-loss too, especially in summer - but never any engine damage as long as knock-sensor/ECM is operating properly. There are places in USA where only 87 octane is available. To sell a car that could be damaged by 87 octane fuel in USA would be a bad business move for any manufacturer which sells here, imho.
    I knew that ANY car sold here HAD to be able to use 87 but I would never feel good about putting it in my car. I have used nothing but premium since 1977. My '77 Grand Prix would ping something awful if I put anything less in him. And that was just the 301. I can only imagine what the Goat might do under a heavy acceleration situation. Not something I want to experience for sure! I am very anal about my cars and am doublely so with this one. Hell, I even clean the INSIDE of the wheels! This is the most expensive one yet and I intend for it to last. I stretched on this one....teacher's salaries don't allow for cars that are very expensive, but I wanted one that I felt would have the potential of lasting a long time. I had a 2000 T/A and loved him, but GM just didn't do those cars right and I finally had to let him go when he developed an expensive electrical issue 3 months after going out of the extended warranty (and 9 months after I paid him off!) I read up on the Goat and had been looking at them since they came out and felt that these had the potential of being a very long lasting car. That and the uniqueness of the car made the decision...along with the fact that I only buy Ponticas and the Goat was the only one that I would buy in '06.

Does anyone know if the rumored 2010 GTO is true? I heard that they were gonna take the new Camaro platform and make a GTO here in the States. That would be great! Let's hope it is true (unless they wanna build a new T/A!!)
  • monarofanmonarofan Posts: 30
    Re another Goat.

Holden have just released a concept version of a 2 door Commodore )aka G8. No talk of production but that is what they said last time.

I posted a video link on the future GTO dicsussion last week.

Here is the link
    http://media.drive.com.au/?rid=35947

Chris
  • I just bought a 2006 GTO about 2 mths. ago. It's been back to the dealership once and is getting ready to go again. My problem is it keeps stalling and chugging like it has a fuel pump problem. However the first time it was towed back to dealership computer showed no failure and they said they could not find anything wrong. However it is still dying about five times a drive and it is too the point you can barely keep it running at all. I would appreciate any imformation concerning recalls or possible answers to my problem .
    sat on lot for 2 years and gunk from ancient/untreated gasoline clogged gas filter? i think the computer would notice a misfire/ignition problem, so again consistent with fuel flow issue. it sets the fuel pump to a particular value but it doesn't have a way to know how much fuel the pump actually pumped? if gunk made it past the fuel filter the injectors could require cleaning/replacement. warranty is your friend.
    also, i may be way wrong - don't actually let me near a car if i have tools in my hand.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Posts: 242
    does anyone know more about the gas cap recall? thanks rr70
    if yours busts, a pontiac dealer can give you a new one in a jiffy - i think the letter said at least until 100k. i bet they will go beyond that. probably faster to buy the stant/whatever replacement at an auto parts store, but won't be free. i drove for a month before i noticed my gas cap was not holding pressure whatsoever. worst mpg ever. with the vertical filler neck, it's almost impossible to splash gas out if you keep the shiny side up - but when the cap breaks, the evaporative losses are considerable.
  • Hey -

I have an 06 GTO as well and am having the same kind of problem you were experiencing when you wrote this. Did you have any luck fixing the problem? Any suggestions for me? Thanks.
  • I found a brand new '06 on a dealer lot in July '07 and promptly bought it. The car now has 8600 mechanically flawless miles on it. I'm considering the 490hp Bobcat package from SLP, but this also raises some concerns for me being that I'm completely not a gearhead.

This mod involves swapping out heads, pushrods, and rocker arms. I'm pretty sure that voids the warranty and I'm sure will cause lots of problems if not done carefully and correctly. Is anybody here familiar with SLP and, specifically, the Bobcat packages? Will SLP also install these parts? Does SLP pick up the portion of warranty that is voided by the installation of the mod?

I plan on calling SLP direct and asking these same questions, but I thought I'd ask here to get feedback from folks who are living with this mod.

I appreciate any responses.
  • hippehippe Posts: 14
    Why not just bolt on a supercharger. The internals will hold up to it, certainly up to 500hp, and your mileage might actually improve.
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    Got my replacement letter this Sept. 2008....replace ment for 10 years or 120,00 miles. you have to hear the "rachet" sound when closing...just close lightly...do not push down....I have no problem...25,00 miles
  • I have a 2005 GTO. Can someone tell me where the interior fuse box is and I how I get to it? My owners manual says it is on the drivers side below the instrument panel. I can't find it. It must be hiding.
    above your left knee/thigh as you drive - the standard/old-school USA-car position. the panel/rocker under steering wheel hinges at the back.
    three pressure-latch-connector things attach it near
    the front. it's really a very solid setup, but i already broke one of the latch/connector things on mine, so don't be a doofus like me and pound on it trying to get it to re-latch.
    you can pry it open gently, just keep applying more force gently down at the seam/gap directly facing driver, and the panel will pop open.
    btw on mine i found a 20A fuse inserted for the USA-absent-cig-lighter, conveniently available for replacing the burnt fuse for accessory/center-console. :)
  • please change the ( COOLANT TEMP SENSOR ) THAT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM.
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    Hello Elias ....nice to see you again.....wonder how is GTO Robert doing?

Can you advise me? Or other members?
    Question----Engine Service Lite came on---26500miles-----possible oxy. sensors ???
    Can I still drive around?
    What Service should I have done? coolant,plugs, filters????
    Thanks Guys :shades: