Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• engelh59engelh59 Posts: 2
    I have been having the same problem with the battery going dead. I would like to know if you have had any problems since you had your radio replaced. I have been through the charge, replace battery stage and will have to take it over this week again. I would like to be able to tell them that the new radio has solved your proble of battery drain!
  • dziakdziak Posts: 5
    As of now, the car has worked fine. After the radio was replaced within the week it went dead again. We took it back to the dealer. This time they put in a new battery that had more power. From what my husband said that the technician said that Hyndai will not replace the battery until they go through a checklist of other problems first. So, with the new battery we haven't had a problem. But who knows. I like the car very much and hopefully, the newer higher powered battery was the problem.
  • engelh59engelh59 Posts: 2
    I had the battery replaced with a bigger battery back on March 12, 2007.
    It looked like everything was going to be ok...then on July 7th went to start the car and it was dead! I am going to make an appointment for it this week, but for now the charger is on it now.
    I can understand sometimes after not driving it for 2-3 weeks, but it was last driven on the 3rd...
    I like you love the Tucson, but not this problem! I will keep you posted if I find anything out this week.
  • tyreetyree Posts: 3
    Re Battery Drain 2006 Tucson (kat)
    The 2-days sit with no start is identical to my issue - then we would jump it and it would be fine. After 3 trips to the dealer, they discovered a batch of defective stereos were installed. They produce a drain on the battery. Stereo was replaced. It requires removing the dash.

Now less than a month later, I have no air conditioning in the upper vents, and a ticking noise when the car is started or when I switch to different venting on the ac. I am in my 4th rental in the last 3 months.

I bought a new vehicle for reliability... does all this repair time make me eligible for the lemon law/replacement?

Tucson owner, Tucson az
  • bblm20bblm20 Posts: 3
    I have a 05 tuscon bought in Oct. 07 had only 8500 miles has been in and out of the shop
    since then as the battery goes dead on the 3rd day if not driven. They have replaced the
    battery and a module but now it is in the shop again. They can not find the problem
    and they keep it for days and will not give me a loaner. I have since been in touch with
    Hyundai consumer repairs and after threats the are giving me a rental for 3 days only.
    I suguest that :sick: you call them also if you they can't fix your car. This has been a real
    problem for many Hyundai owners. Have they found your problem? Good luck!
  • bblm20bblm20 Posts: 3
    Hi,
    My 05 tuscon does this and is now in the shop for 6th time and they can not fine the problem and the Hyundai corp. is aware but will not do anything about it. I think it should be a recall on this as it is a large group. Let me know what happened with you. I think all of us who has this problem should write lemon on it and park it by there dealership!
    This might get their attention! :mad:
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I cannot speak to the radio issue, but I do know that Hyundai received a shipment of defective batteries at the Elantra plant. Mine lasted < 18 months and then had almost no cranking capacity. The battery was replaced and I have had no further problems.
  • strakerstraker Posts: 7
    Having engine problems with my 1&1/2 year old of Tucson. Overheating problems from crack in cylinder head.Dealer trying to replace part but should I be having these problems with practically new vehicle?
  • Obviously not but can you disclose which motor you have - 4 or 6 cyl?
  • We also have an '05 Tucson and the battery goes dead after it sits for 2-3 days. The battery has been replaced twice (maybe 3 times), along with numerous jump starts that haven't been reported. We are very frustrated, as the dealership has denied any problem with the car....said it's "normal" to have the battery drain if the car sits.
    We need a more reliable car than this!! We like many things about this car, but unfortunately, this battery problem will probably keep us from buying another.
  • I posted with the same problem several months ago. The stereo was replaced, and I kept the vehicle approximately 6 weeks after that with no further problems. Apparently it caused a drain on the battery by coming on while the vehicle was parked. Not sure, but I believe the problem was truly fixed.

When the AC started giving me problems in 105 degree heat, I had enough, and traded it in favor of going back to Toyota. I had more rental cars in the 1 year I owned my Hyundai than I had in a lifetime, due to the dead battery issue.

I do miss the tall ride and high clearance, but not the gas mileage or the unreliability.

Try the stereo replacement. A bad batch was sent out. Also, until that is replaced, don't let it sit so long.

Good luck!

Tucson, AZ
    After three times the car was sent to the dealer, they replaced the battery, with a bigger, better battery. We drove the car almost everyday since, with no problems starting etc, this past 8 mnonths. The car sat for two days this week and the car was totally dead again. This is the fourth time. We have replaced the radio and battery. We had the car sent to the dealership and haven't heard what has caused the problem. We do not think that a battery should be replaced every 7-8 months for a car to work. I called the Hyudai customer service representative. I talked to an Anthony, he said that if we do not get satisfaction, that we are to call him, and he will start an investigation. Here is his number and extension 1-800-633-5151 ext 54316. Maybe all of us that are having this same problem need to call him to get some type of investigation going to solve this problem. The maintenance and service departments seem to think we are all nuts, and that there is nothing wrong with the car. We are totally frustrated because, when you buy a new car you expect it to work and not have these problems.

Thank you for your input we are taking your data into our dealership, when we hear their song and dance next week to pick up the Tucson.

dziak
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    The first I did when I bought my Tucson V6 in November 2004 was to order the 2 Shop Manuals. On it you could find procedures to do repair and maintenance to your Tucson. My car has almost 60K miles and I can say that I have service the car myself all the way.

The dealers are in there to make money and they will get it from you one way or another. When my car was 30K miles I changed all the fluids, eg. coolant, engine oil, ATF, Transfer Case, Differential, and brake fluid. I have also replaced the brake pads (I bought them like a kit), engine filter, PCV valve, caliper cleaning. I have also installed PIAA driving lights. The manual is also useful because recommended torque is given for the different tasks. Parts were order by me directly from the dealership and I have made use of the On Line Hyundai Parts site given (unfortunately the site has been removed by Hyundai without any reasons).

Because the car is near to 60K miles I think I should take the car to dealership to replace the timing belt, tensioner, iddler and V-belt in addition to the replacement of the spark plugs. I think I do not have the tools to do these jobs and also I do not have the experience and I will have to pay for the job. However this will be a specific job not a service (or routine service).
  • perahperah Posts: 1
    Hi Coachmoon
    I am from Canada. My Tucson 1 year old and I am starting to feel the same problem with my transmission. The dealer could not find anything. May be you can give me information what country are you from, in which dealership and when the repair was done. This way my dealership can contact yours and may-be they can get any clue what should be done for fixing my car.

Thanks.
    perah911@yahoo.com
  • I need to replace my hazard switch assembly on a 2007 tuscon. No manuals are availble and it is not under warranty due to a coffee spill. PLEASE HELP!
    How do I remove the dash board to access the switch assembly.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,940
    Check these links while waiting for an owner to weigh in:

ray_h1, "Hyundai Online Shop Manuals Access" #, 21 Nov 2006 11:06 am

Online Repair Manuals

Removing the dash is pretty radical surgery that can probably (hopefully!) by avoided by some gymnastics under the dash.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi! I have some questions as I am a new owner of a Hyundai Tuscon. I just bought my Hyundai last week 2007 GLS new off the lot. There were less than 100 miles on it. I have had it a week and Sunday it seemed as if the transmission went out in it. I was pulling out of my neighborhood when there was a clanking sound and the check engine light came on and there was no acceleration it was almost as if my transmission was rolling or wouldnt catch. Not only was roadside assistance no help bc it was a Sunday and I was out of town when this happened but my dealership couldnt help me either. I drove 200+ miles to the dealership in 3rd gear (shiftronic) on an automatic car bc it wouldnt shift automatically and we could only go 55 m. The shop said it is only a outake sensor that is bad but I am fearing it is much worse than that.. Any help????? Suggestions?? This is my first car that I have purchased and I wanted a reliable car and now I am worried I got a faulty car.Help pleaseeeeee
  • We have 2 Hyundai Tucsons....a 2005 and a 2007.
    The 2005 finally got the radio replacement that it needed, as the original radio would drain the battery if the car sat for more than 3-4 days. So, the 2005 is finally working and reliable. It was a very frustrating problem for awhile cuz Hyundai refused to recognize the defect. It took my college-age-daughter to demand more attention to get the radio replaced (she can whine better than I can). Supposedly the warranty was off, but the problem was well-documented in our service record, so they did finally cover it.
    The 2007 Tucson had a sensor problem within the few few months that was taken care of and no problems since then. The Hyundai roadside assistance has been helpful, but luckily these problems have never been on a Sunday. The 2007 has been great in the winter weather with the stability control.
    We love our Tucsons, and hopefully they will continue to be good for us!
  • greatcarsgreatcars Posts: 66
    Is there such a manual available on Tucson? I haven't found one.
    The only manual we have is what came with the car. Haven't looked sorry