Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson Maintenance and Repair

1235»

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Well, with only 4K miles on the 2010 Tucson Ltd, the compressor locked up. Lots of belt smoke, stalled the motor, and on a mid-90's day, no less. Happened when SWMBO got in the car after work and tried to drive home.

Now, I could be ticked, as could she, but I am going to look at it this way. The company that made that compressor makes thousands everyday. Stuff happens. But how the dealer handled it made it much better. Got the car straight into the shop and checked it out. Compressor front bearing failed, blew the seal, smoked the belt, etc. Mind you this was at 5pm. They checked the local dealers to see if anyone had a compressor in stock. Nope, not on this model. So they are having one air freighted in, put my wife in a brand new Elantra, told her they would call as soon as her car was ready, just asked that she bring the Elantra back with as much gas as it left with. Seems fair enough.

And the service writer, service manager, and shop foreman all came in and apologized that she had a problem with the car and that they couldn't fix it right then and there. That, my friends, is the difference between a good dealer and a bad dealer, regardless of brand.

I will let y'all know how it all turns out.
    Well, there isn't a compressor for the 2010 Tucson in any parts distribution center in North America. One is being shipped in from South Korea. In the meantime, the dealer has the car, and wife has a free loaner to use as she wishes. They just asked that there be no pets or smoking in the car. She doesn't smoke, and Snoopy can live without a cruise for a while, so no prob.
    Final update: Compressor came in over the weekend and repairs were completed yesterday. Blow ice cold, and the compressor is very quiet (as it should be). SWMBO is happy to have her "Grasshopper" (Kiwi green) back.

And as any married guy knows, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :)
  • jaimep1jaimep1 Posts: 1
    I have a question for anyone that knows more about cars than myself. I have a 2005 Tucson 4 cylinder today while driving with the AC on, all of a sudden I lost power steering, the battery and brake light came on and it smelled really bad. It still drove. Once the AC was turned off the pwr steering came back and the lights went off on a second trial turned the AC back on and the same thing happened. Any advice would be great thanks!
    A/C Compressor is locked up. Time to replace it, no way around it unless you want to go without A/C. When you turn on the A/C with a locked compressor, the belt starts slipping, giving you the burned rubber smell. If you keep trying the A/C, the belt will get thrown off the pulleys.

Sorry to deliver the bad news, but that is the way a compressor fails. Bearing goes out, and the thing locks up.
  • chapusinchapusin Posts: 19
    edited November 2010
    Meeeeeeeee, I was looking into adding a custom subwoofer and amp to my tucson when I remembed it already has one in the back. Problem is it doesn't work!! I just did some tests, I sent all the audio to the back and literally put my ear on the subwoofer and I could barely hear any bass coming out (even if the audio is sent to the front a signal is delivered to the sub so it didn't matter). I am very dissapointed with this, I really need Hyundai to fix this, we paid extra for this premium system that actually sounds like crap.

Here's another interesting thing, I was reading the manual and there's an option under setup called power bass boost or something, but it is only available on the non-navigation stereos. Changing the bass levels doesnt really work as this changes the bass level on all the speakers and creates distortion. My old civic had an option to adjust the stock subwoofer separately from the regular speakers.

Oh and according to some websites, there should be an external amp. I wonder where it is. I'll check under the seats tomorrow. Hopefully it has a knob to adjust it but the dynaudio on my gti also has an external amp and it doesnt have any knobs.
  • My Tucson is less than 6 weeks old and in the shop 4 times. The last 3 for a coolant leak. First time nothing was found, next time down to an O ring, this time they think it is the same O ring so they are replacing everyting the ring come into contact with. Wierd thing is it takes about a week after a fix for the problem to re-occur.

Dealer is being very nice. Loaner car, apologies, but I am sick of returning the car. It's a Iris Blue Limited with Nav. I like the car, just wish I could drive it.
    Agree that such a thing is frustrating, but at least the dealer is taking care of you. And doing the right thing by replacing the fittings for the o-ring. Sometimes you get a fitting that isn't quite right and the o-ring will last for a while before leaking.

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem.
  • HI i own a hyundai Tucson 2006 diesel 4 wheel drive. I would like to know if anyone knows the oil consumption rate of this model as my oil level is going down really fast. The dealer is telling me it is normal and that the car consumes 1 litre with every 2500km is this true
  • In the past 5 days I have experienced a problem with my 2007 Hyundai Tucson. The 1st time, I thought something was wrong with the brakes because at 40MPH I had to stand on the brakes to get it to stop. It only happened once that day. That night I brought it to my local repair shop to have the brakes checked... and they were PERFECT! I considered it an anomoly... now today, I was pushing on the gas pedal at 25MPH trying to go faster and it just wouldn't go!!! It was like I wasn't even pushing on the gas pedal at all!!! I had to pull over to let other cars go by because I was just limping along. Anyone have any ideas??? No check engine light or anything.... and now its back to running perfectly....
  • This may be completely off the wall, but...

Brakes don't work.... then, they work

Accelerator doesn't work... then, it works..

Do you have a floor mat problem?

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

1235»