Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inifiniti FX35 and FX45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• snsnsnsn Posts: 56
    By the way, I had to wait one week for the steering wheel column to be replaced on my BMW. They also had to order the part (service manager said he had already replaced the steering wheel column on three other '06 3 series as well). Due to a "screw up" in my service appointment, a BMW loaner was not available. I ended up having to drive a Chrysler mini-van for a week.
  • cyruscyrus Posts: 25
    I just looked at the CONSUMER reports RELIABILITY assessment of 2003 to 2007, FX 35. (I own an 04 with 35k). It appears that 03 to 05 FX/35 Got Excellent scores for reliability. Only the 06 or 07 had average scores (But NOT 03-05). AS an FX owner I must say that my FX has been Supremely reliable. ONLY minor Problem I have had were a few squeeks and one rattle (which were fixed by my Dealer, in Glencoe, IL). (NOTE: It took 8 tries - yes EIGHT tries- and persistence over the last 2 yrs to fix the one dash rattle). Other than that I have been extremely happy with FX and will buy another in a heart beat.
  • smaynardsmaynard Posts: 1
    I just leased a 07 FX35. Very disappointed. Has been in for service twice for the gps, works now but not very well I am still using my old portable because it works sooo much better. The bluetooth will not sink with my blackberry, check engine light come on every once n a while,cruse control only works about 70% of the time. All of this with less that 2000 miles.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Posts: 65
    I own a '04 FX35 with about 55K miles on it. The dealer in Houston is recommending that I get the brake fluid flushed and replaced. When I questioned that recommendation, he said brake fluids can get burned with time and deteriorate. I have never heard of having to replace brake fluid, nor any independent mechanics I have asked. Any thoughts?
  • audreymaudreym Posts: 103
    texasfx35,

Sounds familiar.. I own an '06, and have made the decision to go with the S2 maintenance schedule.

One of the last times I brought it in for an oil change they called me and asked if I had been bringing the car somewhere else for oil changes because it had been 5K.

Told them no, I was going by the S2 schedule from the manual. At that point the guy gave me a lecture that that is the "bare minimum" for the warranty and they never recommend going with that schedule. They wanted permission do a full oil flush of the engine (not sure how that is different from an oil change) and that it would be an extra $80. I said "no thanks".

This coming from a dealer who also thinks that a full alignment should be done every time the tires are rotated..

I took a closer look at the dealer's maintenance menu - it calls more more things at each service then even the premium service level in the manual. Now every time I go, I print out the maintenance schedule from Infiniti's website and highlight the items I want performed. MUCH CHEAPER!!!

Honestly, I am starting to question why I bother bringing the car 10 miles out of my way, when I could bring it to a local shop where they actually do what I request and don't try to up-sell me on service.
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and turns from a clear to a dark brown color. This "mud", unless changed regularly, slowly destroys the seals in the brake master cylinder and in the calipers. I change mine every two years regardless of mileage, and the radiator coolant as well. The ABS unit also has several seals and gaskets, and if they leak the replacement can cost close to a thousand dollars.
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I am still puzzled as to why an FX would need the brake fluid replaced. If this is a common phenomenon, why wouldn't all cars have the problem, and why wouldn't the FX maintenance schedule indicate it needs to be done? The dealer said the fluid gets burned from overheating. Again, why would this be a problem with the FX unless there was some design flaw in the FX brake system?
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    There is nothing wrong with the FX 35 design, the replacement of the brake fluid is highly recommended on any car. This used to be part of the standard maintenance years back, but with the new trend toward maintenance free vehicles it has been eliminated from some schedules to make it look better to the buyers. If you won't keep it longer than a 3 or 4 year lease then you can skip it but the next owner might end up with an expensive repair.
  • vanpoolvanpool Posts: 15
    I took my 2007 in today for the recommended 7,500 mile checkup. I was suprised to see a bill of $169.28 for this service. It was mostly and oil change and tire rotation. Here is the breakdown
    Replace Oil Drain Plug Gasket
    Engine pre-cleaner additive
    balance 2 front tires
    Program tire pressure monitor
    Reset Maintenance reminder
    Rotate tires
    replace oil
    replace oil filter
    inspect battery
    top off fluids (washer)

Labor was $109.50

It just seems high to me for such an early checkup. What have your experiences been with this 7,500 checkup.
  • duffer7duffer7 Posts: 17
    Oh boy, another recall -- my FX failed FMVSS No.108
    Can anyone tell me what the real problem is? My service manager just reads me the notification and won't(can't?) tell me what portion of 108 my FX is failing !
    I think they saw you coming on this one. Not sure why a FX with 7500 mile would need tires balanced unless you complained about vibration. Same with engine cleaner. Program tire pressure monitor? Should have been done at the factory. Reset maintenance reminder? A 15 sec procedure. Infiniti service is expensive, but this does seem high. My FX purchase included all routine service for the first two years (I think). I know the service invoices were no charge up to about 24 months. If you think this is high, wait for the 30K and 60K service.
  • vanpoolvanpool Posts: 15
    Well, I agree. I was more than supprised at the cost. I never even asked what the cost might be, and I never figured it would be that much for a 7,500 mile checkup. I wanted to use Infiniti for the maintenance, but I may start going somewhere else. The first checkup at 3,500 for just an oil change was $45. I can get that done for half the price at a jiffy lube.
    My Houston dealer charges $36.95 + tax for an oil change. But with that they check all fluids, the battery condition and cleanliness, tire tread depth, brake lining depth, etc. So I use them just to keep track of the car's condition. Yes, they are trying to find things to fix, but that is another story. I let a private tire/brake shop in my Houston suburb replace the rear brakes. They used Infiniti pads from my dealer and charged me about half of what the dealer asked. I had to replace a windshield last year. Dealer wanted $625 +/-. Local windshield shop charged me $275 and they waived my $50 deductible. So you really have to do some comparison shopping. However, if it comes to Infiniti-specific maintenance I don't think you can go wrong with the dealer. They know all the tricks and what makes you car work and not work.
    I paid $55 (fifty five dollars) for the 7500 miles service on my FX 35 at fields infiniti in chicagoland area (this was only 2 yrs ago). It included oil change and Tire rotation (plus other minor checks and fluid top off). My 3500 k was under $36 (oil only), 30k was $640 (included all sorts of stuff, except the cabin micron-filter, which would have been an additional $80). Surprisingly, the 60 k service on FX 35 is an Unreasonable $1300 (last one makes no sense to me even with my PhD degree). My suggestion to you is that next time ask for a service price sheet before you go in. I asked for one when I bought my FX just to see how the maintenance costs stack up. I thought it was reasonable given even the humbler NISSAN dealer's price list for the same services, except for the 60k service at my dealer. Regardless, I have found my infiniti dealer at Glencoe, IL very accomodating and truly have bend backwards several times to take care of my needs (even when I recently refused the small loaner G35's and asked for the larger FX 35 as a matter of safety concern). I hope this price list helps.

I always ask for an AUTOMATIC 10% discount as I have a good relationship with service people at my dealer (always ultra-polite to them and respectful of their feelings even as the customer).
  • srr3306srr3306 Posts: 12
    I know most of you think you are too smart to let this happen (I did too.) These guys can take you for quite a ride if you are not careful. Here is a letter I wrote my dealership in protest. Do not let them do this to you!

General Manager & Service Manager
    Infiniti of Gwinnett
    3090 Satellite Blvd.
    Duluth, GA 30096

I want to inform you of my intense dissatisfaction with our recent visit to your service department.

On April 25, my wife brought our FX35 in to respond to the exterior lighting recall notice. We also requested an oil change and new wiper blades. No other service was planned or needed at the time, based on prior services and the maintenance schedule we follow in the owner’s manual.

We had generally had good experiences since we started using your dealership for service in 2005, and service advisors who were cooperative and helpful.

This time, it was our misfortune to encounter Bryce Busby. He used my wife's lack of knowledge and preparation as a way to sell her over $700 worth of unnecessary services. These include:
    Fuel Induction Service for $147
    Power Steering flush for $147
    Brake Fluid flush for $118
    Auto Transmission flush for $309

Mr. Busby called me between meetings at work at my wife's request to get my permission to perform these additional services. He advised me that these were recommended my Infiniti and necessary for a 2004 FX35 at 30k miles. I did not have any reference materials (computer or owners manual) with me at the time and I was forced to make a snap decision as I was busy at work and (as Mr. Busby no doubt realized) did not have time to verify his claims.

As it turns out, only one of these services, is recommended in any service schedule from the manual, and none was necessary. The transmission flush is only recommended under the premium schedule.

And, to add insult to injury, they did not even replace the wiper blades!

Needless to say, I will not consider your dealership when it is time to replace this vehicle next year and never use it again for service. I know that, in the end, I should have refused the service and this thievery is the result of my mistake, but the one positive thing I can do is get the word out about this service advisor and inform you, as well as other Infiniti customers that my future business is lost due to your new policy of gauging your service customers.
  • ayenewayenew Posts: 11
    I have a much older car (05 FX 35). All my service stops have been resonable. Do not remember any over $100. The 15K and 30K services are the eye opener events for me where I think 15K came to a couple of hundred and 30K was about double that. But, I would tell you that two years later, I still am very very pleased with this car. It does Chicago winters and I-94 traffic just fine. Only painful part is avg 18mi/gallon.
    Your 03 is approaching 30K in miles? Wow! I have an 05 and I zipped past 30K that last month. Yes, that 30K service was rather higher. In Chicago (Glencoe), it is not that much different. I loved the $49 for wipers part.
    cyrus,

I have been tracking your notes as I too ironically have an 05 FX 35 and use the Glencoe service. I pretty much pd similar prices to yours. I was not too happy with that $640 charge but $1,300? WOW?!! My car payment is not even half that!

I would agree with your that Glencoe is rather nice but was not aware of the 10% discount thing. Is that because you bought it from them? I did not. I bought mine in TN.

As for service, though often good, I have had to sit there for 2 hours because they ran out of oil (no joke - oil change gone longer) and the car wash once brought back my car with the front license plate with plate holder sheared off and barely hanging there. But, they do make amends so I am not complaining.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Posts: 106
    Purchased an 07 FX35, touring, tech package w/XM, hands free, etc. in April and have had nothing but problems with it. First the sunroof rattled and it took 3 service visits before they basically had to replace all of the tracks. They had to drop the head liner and that brought on another host of issues which eventually led to the replacement of several items they damaged in the process.

I have also had a steering wheel vibration since day one and again after three visits they determined that the rack and pinion and all the associated linkage has to be replaced. I initially thought it was the tires so I replaced them with Michelins but the vibrations continued. They balanced and re balanced the original Potenzas to no avail.

It seems Infiniti parts are very scarce because the parts were on back order and had to be ordered from Japan - it has taken a month. The parts are here and I take the SUV in again on Thursday for the repairs. I remain very skeptical. Hopefully this is not a sign on things to come with this vehicle :lemon: ???

Anyone else experience the steering wheel vibrations around 65 mph? Was it resolved and how?
  • lirpa007lirpa007 Posts: 14
    Did you purchase brand new? If so you may be smelling a :lemon:. Or maybe it was a dealer demo? I bought mine in May, and no problems. If they gave you a major discount on this fx, they probably knew about it :surprise: .
    Not at all - brand new; no heavy discounts. By the way they replaced the steering gears and all the linkage. Still the wheel shimmy's starting @ 65 mph. Otherwise, below 60 it is smooth as glass. They can't figure it out. Everything checks out, so they say. Sounds like a :lemon: to me. So sad, the vehicle is nice otherwise. :cry: Have been thinking about the lemon law but it is SUCH a hassle!

I can't stand the wheel vibrating on the hwy anymore so I may trade it in w/in the next few days. This time I'm getting something a whole lot less expensive. These high priced vehicles aren't worth all the fuss and extra $$$!

By the way the loaner 07 G35's check engine light came on while I was driving it. Only 8,000 miles on it. I think Infiniti reliability and quality is going south! :confuse:
  • Hi,
    I have 05FX35. So far had no problems at all. Recently the steering wheel started to vibrate during braking from high speeds. I think the brake rotors got warped and need to be replaced. Do you know if the brake rotors are covered under the original manufacturer's warranty?

Thanks!
    Be very cautious of Infiniti reliability! I know, I've owned an 07 M35 and 07 FX35. I've had major problems with both. Currently, the FX35 shakes at speeds over 60 mph and they can't figure it out. The dealer network for service is plain awful and parts take months to get since they come from Japan. The service technicians need a lot more training too. They take things apart then either break them or reassemble them improperly. The service managers are more concerned with profits than customer service so they will cut corners. Watch Infiniti residuals also they drop drastically. Buyer beware! :lemon:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,135
    The dealer network for service is plain awful

Please rate the good and bad ones with Edmunds' new Dealer Ratings and Reviews.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• :mad: Ok, so I just got off the phone with both the dealer and Infinity customer service. At 33k, they tell me I need new back brakes. It's a highway driven car and not my only car. Service area tells me it is "typical" that brakes need to be changed between 15-20k miles and with 33k I did well. I stated it was unacceptable to consider brake replace btwn 15-20k as typical. Called Infinity customer service, who told me the dealer are the technical ones to determine "typical".

After reading this board, I must add I too have a shimmy btwen 60-65mph. We will see if they fix this, but after reading the posts here, I'm not too optomisic.

Anyone know of anyone who wants to buy my car? If this isn't resolved in the next 48 hours, it goes on the market.
    :(
    Sorry to hear about your brake problems and shimmy between 60-65 mph. I have approximately 41K on my FX35 awd (an 04 I purchased new). I have never had any break issues (other than a squeak on reverse in the mornings) OR any shimming at highway speeds (I avoid all pot-holes at any cost even by evasive manuvering as chiagoland highways are generally riddled with many pot-holes, especially during winter).

Despite consumer reports giving 03-06 FX very high-reliability ratings, I have noticed that the FXs in general have break issues, mainly due to the high performance pads wearing out fast. I avoid breaking hard in the FX as I know I can wear them out rather fast. I did not have this issue with our previous cars (e.g., a QX4 which we just replaced with an 07 MDX).
  • Does anyone know what it take to get the battery compartment cover off the vehicle? Not the door, but the compartment itself. It is almost impossible to check water in the battery through the door opening.
  • I had the same problem but with the drivers mirror. they had to replace the motor.
  • I also had vibration while braking esp. at from highway speeds, the rotors are not under warranty but there is a tsb from infiniti that will pay for the rotors to be cut and to replace the front brake pads. I had that done just last week and its much better.
  • dantedante Posts: 92
    All I can say is I have a 2004 FX35 AWD with Sport Package and other than a rattle in my sun roof which was quickly fixed by tightening some screws, I have had ZERO problems. Of course, I only have 15,000 miles on it since I only use on the weekends but still, pretty good, no? Jon.