Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inifiniti FX35 and FX45 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I just wanted to let you know if you still haven't received the owners manual it's a lot cheaper to buy one on Ebay then go to the dealer. I got the FX-35 CD with the Shop manual, Owners manual and NAV manual for about $35.00. It's a lot cheaper then the hundreds the dealer wants for the same manuals. If it's not for sale when you look wait a few days and try again it shows up after a while.
  • snsnsnsn Posts: 56
    I have had my 2007 FX35 for a little over two weeks. If I come home at night, I noticed that the Homelink light is not illuminated. I have to turn on the interior light in order to ensure that I push the correct button. I will have to double check; but, I am thinking only the front seat window buttons are illuminated at night as well (not the rear seats). This is in direct contrast to the handsfree Bluetooth (which I love). The handsfree will not let me make any major adjustments while driving (which I assume is for safety reasons); yet, I am suppose to fumble around trying to locate the correct Homelink or power window buttons at night?
    Correction: It's not the power window buttons; but, the door un-lock button that is not illuminated. The door lock button is illuminated.
  • bpfbpf Posts: 2
    We own a 2004 Infiniti FX35 purchased new.

We found the perfect one (tow hitch, cross bars etc) in Norwood, MA. Tried negotiating a deal but ended up walking away. The salesman was a dolt. The long and short of it -the Norwood dealership ends up shipping the FX we're interested in to New Hampshire. We negotiate the deal there and end up buying the FX in NH, but it wasn't easy. We end up driving all the way to NH only to have the dealership reneg on the deal and after much bickering back and forth end up getting the deal we drove there for.

Man, the car looks sharp though!!

CONCLUSION: INFINITI TERRIBLE BUYING EXPERIENCE

A year into owning it I conclude the following:

1. MISERABLE fuel economy. $58 fill ups on premium -ouch.
    2. Wouldn't be bad if the FX had decent power. No low end grunt, all the power is between 30 -70.
    3. It feels heavy, although well planted.
    4. The throttle is either "sluggish or full on", this is the first automatic I've owned in 8 years; I see slushboxes aren't still that great. (Have DSG in an Audi toy; better but still not perfect...)
    5. Not good in the snow, no better than a front wheel drive sedan. My Audi TT roadster with quattro has much better traction and I prefer to commute in it in snowy conditions.
    6. Harsh ride can rattle interior parts especially in the cold.
    7. The aluminum trim scratches way too easily. Tough with a dog companion. I understand the alum trim is no longer sold..
    8. Geesh this interior is kinda plasticky now that I look around.....
    9. Speaking of plastic, what's up with the plastic rear hatch and fuel cover....did I not purchase a "premium" product?
    10. Strange climate control always blowing cold air. Air conditionong is always on (thus the poor fuel econ??)
    11. I don't have the NAV system so the display screen displays radio and climate. Why are the radio characters displayed so cryptically? Reminds me of a cheap 80s Nissan.
    12. If I get asked one more time how I like my Murano I'm going to scream....

Man, but that FX still looks sharp!!

OK so after a year of ownership the battery keeps going dead - numerous times. SECOND time at the dealership and they figure the power is being drained by a faulty seat switch. Geesh - Nissan, maybe the switches aren't placed in the best spot....The FX is returned with a blown radio fuse. By the time this is discovered the dealership has closed for the weekend and now have to set up a THIRD appointment. Living down near the Cape and with the closest Infiniti dealership 35 miles away near Boston, MA this is a MAJOR inconvience.

CONCLUSION: INFINITI SERVICE "NOT THAT GREAT"

....but that FX still looks sharp....

Spring of the first year the FX and four people head to North Captiva Island for some fun in the sun. Wonderfully comfortable for 4, quiet, smooth on the smooth Southern highways. However, not enough luggage space in the rear so a smaller suitcase ends up being wedged between the two rear seat occupants. Again, terrible fuel economy averaging 17 MPG or so.

JUMP AHEAD TO NOW 2/2007), 33,000 miles:

Yesterday the power steering SH** the bed. Ever try turning 20 inch wheels without it? We've only owned Honda and BMW and never had anything go wrong mechanically....(can't say the same for that Audi, but knew that going into the lease .....)

Maybe two things going wrong in two years isn't that bad, but I expect more in a premium Japanese brand. This is my first and last Nissan product. I'm not impressed.

I'd like to point out my Mom just purchased a 2007 Honda Accord SE V6. Fantastic buying experience from Herb Chambers in Seekonk, MA (no dickering whatsoever) and what a fantastic car for 22K...this car feels like it's right from Germany...terrific ride, great seats, sublime engine. Looking at the vehicle content on the window sticker I notice this car has all the same safety/luxury features
    as the FX (for 22K)....what gives??

I think I've got my eyes set on an Accord V6 with a 6 speed.....anybody wanna buy a previously "enjoyed" FX?

It sill "looks sharp".....

(but personally I'd stay clear)...there is better out there.
  • One week thus far holding on...Nice power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I researched used SPORT SUV's for some time, and ended up with a four year old fx-45. After reading about all the issues from all the other "sport" SUV's it was clear I don't want to spend a lot of time going from garage to garage getting things fixed. To further support my conclusion I drove all the different 4 plus year old suvs, and everyone had some problem... From rattles, to inop dash,steering, noises from everything and everywhere.
    I am happy so far... If I could change 1 thing it would be to have one more gear on the transmission so I could milk out a few more MPG.
  • bpfbpf Posts: 2
    Upadate: It appears the dealership I've been going to, Quirk Infiniti in Braintree, is no longer in business. However, Prime Infiniti in Hanover, MA just opened. Found out by going on the Inifiniti web site. Better for me since it's a lot closer. One would think Prime would do a mailing to local Infinti owners giving them a heads-up of their opening.

Anyway, the FX has been at Prime for over a week now. Sure enough, the power steering pump went. Would you believe there isn't a new power stereing pump to be found anywhere?

I can't believe even in today's "smaller world" with overnight delivery availbale everywhere a pump can't be obtained. Estimated delivery is March 15.

In the interim I end up with a 2006 Infiniti G35 AWD sedan. More Nissan junk - would you believe this "premium product" has a prop rod in the engine compartment in lieu of hydraulics? Minimal refinement in this automobile...I can't believe some consider this car the Japanese equivalent of the 3 series....I've owned one and it doesn't come close. How can they sell this car?

Anyway, the FX goes out of warranty next year. If the power steering went then I would be out a car for 3 weeks and would have to pay for a rental. This simply isn't acceptable and it's bub bye for the FX (and Nissan)......
  • crfabcrfab Posts: 7
    My 2003 FX45 is approaching 30K and will need its 30K service. The dealer (Santa Monica) is charging about $670 .. does anyone know another mechanic offering the same quality of service at a lower price. The dealer always marks it up by so much.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    You could compare what the dealer is doing to the factory recommended service as outlined in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide. You may decide to just let the dealer to the required stuff - looks like it should run ~$171 in a 90210 zip code (hey, it's the only SoCal zip code I know off the top of my head :shades:).
    I owned the 2006 3 series. My first and last BMW. It was as you say "junk." Steering column had to be replaced, leather peeled and flaked - BMW would only replace the covering around the AC unit, tires had to be replaced, etc. All this in less then 1 1/2 years of ownership. I traded my 3 series in for the FX35. So far, I am pleased with my decision.
  • dkartzaldkartzal Posts: 1
    It's nice to know I'm not alone on this one. My Fx's power stearing pump broke down in Toronto. There is no part available anywhere in Canada. My car too has been in the shop for i week and the part is expected to arrive the week of March 12th. Apart from the pump the truck has been great.
    By the way, I had to wait one week for the steering wheel column to be replaced on my BMW. They also had to order the part (service manager said he had already replaced the steering wheel column on three other '06 3 series as well). Due to a "screw up" in my service appointment, a BMW loaner was not available. I ended up having to drive a Chrysler mini-van for a week.
  • cyruscyrus Posts: 25
    I just looked at the CONSUMER reports RELIABILITY assessment of 2003 to 2007, FX 35. (I own an 04 with 35k). It appears that 03 to 05 FX/35 Got Excellent scores for reliability. Only the 06 or 07 had average scores (But NOT 03-05). AS an FX owner I must say that my FX has been Supremely reliable. ONLY minor Problem I have had were a few squeeks and one rattle (which were fixed by my Dealer, in Glencoe, IL). (NOTE: It took 8 tries - yes EIGHT tries- and persistence over the last 2 yrs to fix the one dash rattle). Other than that I have been extremely happy with FX and will buy another in a heart beat.
  • smaynardsmaynard Posts: 1
    I just leased a 07 FX35. Very disappointed. Has been in for service twice for the gps, works now but not very well I am still using my old portable because it works sooo much better. The bluetooth will not sink with my blackberry, check engine light come on every once n a while,cruse control only works about 70% of the time. All of this with less that 2000 miles.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Posts: 65
    I own a '04 FX35 with about 55K miles on it. The dealer in Houston is recommending that I get the brake fluid flushed and replaced. When I questioned that recommendation, he said brake fluids can get burned with time and deteriorate. I have never heard of having to replace brake fluid, nor any independent mechanics I have asked. Any thoughts?
  • audreymaudreym Posts: 103
    texasfx35,

Sounds familiar.. I own an '06, and have made the decision to go with the S2 maintenance schedule.

One of the last times I brought it in for an oil change they called me and asked if I had been bringing the car somewhere else for oil changes because it had been 5K.

Told them no, I was going by the S2 schedule from the manual. At that point the guy gave me a lecture that that is the "bare minimum" for the warranty and they never recommend going with that schedule. They wanted permission do a full oil flush of the engine (not sure how that is different from an oil change) and that it would be an extra $80. I said "no thanks".

This coming from a dealer who also thinks that a full alignment should be done every time the tires are rotated..

I took a closer look at the dealer's maintenance menu - it calls more more things at each service then even the premium service level in the manual. Now every time I go, I print out the maintenance schedule from Infiniti's website and highlight the items I want performed. MUCH CHEAPER!!!

Honestly, I am starting to question why I bother bringing the car 10 miles out of my way, when I could bring it to a local shop where they actually do what I request and don't try to up-sell me on service.
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and turns from a clear to a dark brown color. This "mud", unless changed regularly, slowly destroys the seals in the brake master cylinder and in the calipers. I change mine every two years regardless of mileage, and the radiator coolant as well. The ABS unit also has several seals and gaskets, and if they leak the replacement can cost close to a thousand dollars.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Posts: 65
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I am still puzzled as to why an FX would need the brake fluid replaced. If this is a common phenomenon, why wouldn't all cars have the problem, and why wouldn't the FX maintenance schedule indicate it needs to be done? The dealer said the fluid gets burned from overheating. Again, why would this be a problem with the FX unless there was some design flaw in the FX brake system?
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    There is nothing wrong with the FX 35 design, the replacement of the brake fluid is highly recommended on any car. This used to be part of the standard maintenance years back, but with the new trend toward maintenance free vehicles it has been eliminated from some schedules to make it look better to the buyers. If you won't keep it longer than a 3 or 4 year lease then you can skip it but the next owner might end up with an expensive repair.
  • vanpoolvanpool Posts: 15
    I took my 2007 in today for the recommended 7,500 mile checkup. I was suprised to see a bill of $169.28 for this service. It was mostly and oil change and tire rotation. Here is the breakdown
    Replace Oil Drain Plug Gasket
    Engine pre-cleaner additive
    balance 2 front tires
    Program tire pressure monitor
    Reset Maintenance reminder
    Rotate tires
    replace oil
    replace oil filter
    inspect battery
    top off fluids (washer)

Labor was $109.50

It just seems high to me for such an early checkup. What have your experiences been with this 7,500 checkup.
  • duffer7duffer7 Posts: 17
    Oh boy, another recall -- my FX failed FMVSS No.108
    Can anyone tell me what the real problem is? My service manager just reads me the notification and won't(can't?) tell me what portion of 108 my FX is failing !