Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Axiom Maintenance and Repair

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Got problems? Got solutions? Discuss them here!

Comments

• entact1entact1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm recently having this starter problem with my Axiom 2004. At times I cannot start the car. When I get the key into the starter and crank it, all the lights appear on the dashboard, but the engine will not start. It's like the batter died, no engine sound when cranking. After a month, I found if this happens, I get out of the car close the driver door and open the hatch. After opening/closing the rear hatch, the car will then start. I took it to the dealer, they could not find anything, nor electrical faults. Anyone experiencing this? It's frustrating, because it doesnt always happen. I'm currently documenting everything I do with the car, to find the possible pattern that is causing it and narrow this problem.
  • ccarofknowldgeccarofknowldge Member Posts: 19
    Bad ground at starter solenoid ?

Pinched / shorted wiring harness to hatch ?

Malfunctioning security system ?

Try turning the hatch light off (and always on) and retry your temporary fix. See if anything changes.

Also, do you have any difficulty in getting parts for your Axiom ?

Thanks and Good Luck.
    I think I have found the problem! I installed a third party computer mirror (auto dimmer, map lights, direction and temperature), and to power it I connected the wire into a fuse slot, 15 AMP. Well it happened I couldnt start the car, and so I disconnected the mirror's power wire from the fuse, and the car started! ...I'm thinkin' of just connecting it directly to the battery. Right now I have no idea why it did not like it.
  • abecasisabecasis Member Posts: 2
    my remote batteries were dead. i replaced them. none of the buttons worked except "unlock" however, instead of unlocking, the car beeped and the lights flashed. i opened the car manually, drove approx.,5miles, turned off the car. when i tried to restart the car it would not crank. all lights worked, however it would not turn over. did not appear like dead battery, but tried to jump anyway, nothing. i took the batteries out of the remote, unhooked the cars battery, locked and unlocked the doors manually, rehooked the battery, tried again. nothing. again, lights work. any suggestions?
  • ccarofknowldgeccarofknowldge Member Posts: 19
    It sounds like an alarm problem. Look in your owners manual for the procedure to turn off the security system with the ignition key. There is a certain procedure to it.

Once you try that. See if you can find the fuse for the security system and remove it as a test. See how things function.

Ultimately, you'll probably either need to have the keypad or alarm or both reprogrammed / replaced. Hopefully just reprogrammed.

How is your ease or difficulty in getting parts for your Axiom?
  • abecasisabecasis Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your response. i believe you are right. unfortunately, i bought the car w/o a manual(any sug. on places to get one?) however, i found a button on the fuse marked "power windows" pushed it, and it started! Monday am will go to dealer for more info.

great site! thanks again!
    OK, my problem has returned again!
    I guess it wasn't the way I connected the computer mirror to the fuse box for power. This time when it didn't start, I removed a fuse and pushed it back in again,the car then started! Whether I have a electrical problem or maybe it is the alarm system that is causing this, like the guy who is experiencing the same issue in this forum, I'll have to start with the alarm system and disable it and see if this starter problem occurs again.
    I checked the manual for ignition security. Found Axiom is equipped with an ignition security feature called an "immobilizer". This prevents tampering with the starter by theives with copied keys and foreign metal objects. The key(s) that was given to you by dealer/owner is coded with the ignition. If you look at the ignition metal ring, you will find the following settings: LOCK ACC ON START.

To disable the immobilizer to start the car:
    1. insert the key
    2. turn it to ON for a sec, immobilizer light will show (a car
    w/embedded key, top far right)
    3. then turn to START.

To enable the immobilizer while the car is running:
    1. from START turn the key to ACC for a sec
    2. then turn to LOCK
    3. pull out key

If you can't start the car after trying to disable it:
    1. turn the key from START to ACC
    2. leave the key on ACC for 5 seconds
    3. go to "disable the immobilizer" step 2 procedure

If the immobilzer light is flashing you'll have to take it to the dealer, to get it reprogrammed. With these procedures my car has been starting fine.
  • cuzinbuzzy02axcuzinbuzzy02ax Member Posts: 4
    I'm the proud owner of a 2002 Ax, Anthracite w/ 2 tone leather. I am going to keep it (since it has no trade-in value) and decided to do some upgrades. They worked out pretty well, so I'll share them with you.
    Stereo upgrade----JBL 6.5" speakers in all 4 doors---not too expensive---and makes a pretty big difference. I had them leave the stock tweeter components hooked up (I bought 3 ways for all 4 doors) so I have even better top end, and DEFINITELY more bass. But I went 1 step farther and had them install a Pyramid equalizer/booster (906VL). They mounted it on the side of the center console on the driver's side, and wired it into all 4 speakers. Now it really cranks!!! There is some ignition whine, but when you crank it up you can't hear it. You can turn off the amp/eq and it will work like stock. Overall, an excellent upgrade for less than $500.
    Suspension upgrade---I had air bag suspension installed in the rear----bags that go inside the coil springs---with an air hose at the back that you fill at a tire air pump. It firmed up the ride (took the bounce and body lean way down), and took all the bottoming out of the suspension. In sport mode, it rides almost as well as my friend's 2005 Highlander. It also added 1000lbs of towing capacity.
    Parts and installation $230.
    That's it for now. Get in touch with me if you have any questions. CB
  • ttroyerttroyer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Axiom and recently the dash and tail lights went out checked and the fuse was blown. Tried replacing it and it kept blowing. Took it down and left it with a mechanic. I came back later and he told me it was fixed that when he was looking at it he jiggled somethings and it worked. Well, it doesn't I turned it on and nothing happened. Got some more fuses and they all blew. It's a 15A, I even tried a bigger one. Is there some common problem or do I have a major electrical problem now.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Get in touch with me if you have any questions.

We have a wonderful place right here to "get in touch" and share ideas.

tidester, host
  • rsarnolrsarnol Member Posts: 7
    I got an 02 Axiom 52000 miles, in october my axiom started to hesitate slightly one day then that night went into reduced power with engine light on, turned it off restarted its fine for a few minutes then same thing. Then it;s fine a few days and just dies like no power at all as if the battery is disconnected, 10 seconds later its normal and starts right up. My dealer days its wiring harness, only thing to do is replace it for $975+. I took it to my mechanic and after 2 months he found no wiring problem, put it back together and it seems fine except my engine light comes on. He turns it off but once the engine cools down the light comes back on....anyone have this problem?
    I haven't been able to find much info in the manual regarding "power drive" all I know is I love using it but am I doing any damage in doing so? Also just how does it work? Where does the extra power come from.

Also my engine light is on and the code it produces is 1120. When the mechanic looks up 1120 in his computer/books it says 1120 is a false code, anyone ever experience this?
    Has anyone had stereo problem such as when the volume is up the radio/cd player seems to cut off for a split second and then come back on especially if there's alot of bass playing? It's the stock stereo with 6disc changer, I bought this car used so I'm not sure if there's an amp somewhere that's affecting it.
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    You are not getting any magical "extra power" from the engine. All the power button does is change the shift points of the transmission. It allows the transmission to remain in a particular gear through a higher rpm, extracting more of the available power (torque) from the engine.

As far as damage from running with the power mode on all of the time, the only thing I can think of is you are revving the engine to a higher rpm than normal, which is causing more wear. Also, more torque is being applied to the transmission causing more wear on it.

You may want to follow the Severe Driving maintenance schedule if you are going to use power mode all of the time.

Just my thoughts.
  • axiomguyaxiomguy Member Posts: 6
    Just a thought.
    I don't know if it is the same problem but I had a similar situation when my EGR valve went bad. Engine would hesitate and stall. Bought a new one online, replaced it myself (10 minutes) and haven't had problem since. Did your mechanic give you the code?
  • mdc1tabmdc1tab Member Posts: 1
    We are getting ready to buy a 2002 Axiom from a dealer , how is it the overall??????
    Thanks
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2002 AXIOM and it has been great. I don't drive a lot (about 7k miles a year) and have 28K miles on my AXIOM. The only problem I have had is that the sunroof came off its track and the CD player gave up the ghost both were covered by ISUZU. On tuesday I have to go in because I have a rear axel seal leaking. Other then that it has been great and has never stranded me. The only real bad side was that the value drops like a rock but if you plan on keeping it, then it is a mute point. You should be able to get a good deal on one due the fact that Isuzu can not sell cars to save their lives. I really think if they had taken the effort to market the axiom better I think it would of been a great hit. Oh well, I love mine.

Good Luck
    Dennis P.
  • ritaoritao Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Axiom, 46000 miles 7 months out of a 3 yr warr. My automatic sunroof will not close. The dealership told me that I need a whole new sunroof, the part will cost 1400.00 and 8 hrs of labor will be another 1000.00. I do not want to put this much money into the car. Does anyone have another solution. Has anyone else had this problem. I call around looking for a aftermarket part but they said the car is too new.. I ask if the cable could be cut and just perm close the sunroof somehow..but was told the cable keep the sunroof closed..Help of any kind is appreciated..
    I don't know where you are at but their should be an aftermarket company that can do it cheaper. Here in Tampa, there is a shop that does the Isuzu sunroofs and most other dealership brands as well. I would definitly get a second opinion on it because that doesn't sound right. Also you can get a brand new sunroof put in a vehicle for less then 1400 so I am scratching my head trying to figure out what broke on yours that causes it to be so expensive. My 2002 came off its track and it was fixed under warrenty and I use mine every day without fail. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Dennis P.
  • redvalkrieredvalkrie Member Posts: 2
    I drove my car back from work for lunch it was cold out side I beleive it was wednsday, I parked my car in my garage closed the garage door & out the Axiom in park.
    When I did this I was abou 2 turn of the engine when it started revving up onits own from 1g to 2g up & down about 5 times I turned it off!
    Then cranked it over again, nothing.
    Hasn't done it since.
    Whats up???
    Im thinking egr valve or pvc valve? What do you all think!
    I just bought it January 26th so I have only had it so far for 7days! :confuse:

Any help is appreciated! Thanx in advance!
  • jedmustangjedmustang Member Posts: 12
    A couple days ago, my CD changer would not play. I had not used it for a couple weeks. I was listening to the radio, then I pushed the CD button on the front panel. Nothing happened, the radio kept playing. I opened the center console to eject the disk cartridge and pressed the eject button. Nothing happened, the cartridge appears to be stuck and will not move and come up. I can't tell if there is a cd jammed or not, it is loaded with 6 cd's and I have a couple favorites in there. Any ideas? How hard is it to remove the changer and take apart even to remove the cd's? Can the changer be repaired or replaced?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I parked my car in my garage closed the garage door ...

Wild guess - build up of CO2 made the O2 sensor try to compensate?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • annejoe1668annejoe1668 Member Posts: 9
    Dear rsarnol,

My Axiom started having similar problem and guess what the dealer said, engine wiring harness needs to be replaced! But it's going to be $616 (pt) + $834 (labor)!!!

So want to find out what happened to you finally? Or did you try what axiomguy suggested which is changing the EGR value?

Thanks...
  • stunna8301stunna8301 Member Posts: 2
    my 2002 just had to have 6 new o2 sensors and a new fuel pump."i would hate to have a paid for lemon.
    oh and how much did you pay for yours.
  • stunna8301stunna8301 Member Posts: 2
    my isuzu axiom needed a push and it was all fixed.
    is yours a piece of [non-permissible content removed] to>? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: is what the hell i bought
  • msladyj23msladyj23 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get your CD to start working? My CD changer stopped working on Friday, and has not worked since. I even changed the fuses thinking that was the problem. Help, I need my music!!
  • jedmustangjedmustang Member Posts: 12
    This may not be any help to you ... however. I now believe my problems were associated with a battery jumping situation.

One day, I left my lights on an drained the battery. Before that, I had been listening to either the radio, or the CD. Then I got a jump start from someone. I didn't try to use the CD until a few days later, and found that it didn't work. That's when I posted the original message.

I didn't get any information, and I didn't do anything. I was as bummed as you are.

A month or so later, I once again accidently ran the battery down, and needed a jump. Slow learner. Once I got the engine started, and driving, I decided to give the CD another try. An to my surprise, It turned on, and has been working ever since! I also have not run the battery down again.

So I hope you can get it going somehow.

BTW, for long trips, I now play an IPOD through a cassette adapter. At least the AXIOM has a cassette slot. It sounds pretty good.
  • hectormhectorm Member Posts: 1
    Hi , somebody change the timing belt of my father's Axiom 2002 and he don't remember how to put in time again. If somebody know please let me know how. Thanks!
  • polokid69polokid69 Member Posts: 6
    That sounds exactly like an amp is connected. I have a boat with a 1000 amp and sub and if the engine is off, I can only turn the radio up a tad before it cuts off and it will keep doing it until I turn the volume down. I was told it is because the amp draws so much power that the battery can't keep the voltage up w/o the engine on which keeps the battery at maximum power. Just my thoughts on it, hope it helps. Can't be many places they could hide an amp in the Ax. Either under the seats, behind the dash or inside the console. Good luck.
    My 2002 Axiom has 30K miles on it and it runs like a top. I have been very happy with it so far.

Dennis P.
  • lroelantslroelants Member Posts: 1
    high idle when 1st starting my axiom about 3 mins...makes a wining noise in the engine... ac compressor is rough sounding when it comes on and off... i can hear my valves tickiing when it is running... anyone else with similar problems/solutions
  • socalstevesocalsteve Member Posts: 34
    My '04 will sometimes start with a high idle, but it doesn't last three minutes--more like a minute. As far as the valve noise, the DI engine does seem to have a unique sound--almost like a quiet diesel. Mine has 70,000 miles on it and I've had few problems.
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    I have an 02 XS with 58,000 miles and have had no problems. None, nothing - would have expected something but it runs great. I only drive city too. I'm not crazy about the vehicle but have to say mine is well built. My only issues would be RIDE and gas mileage.
  • seanalanseanalan Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new to me 2002 isuzu axiom a few weeks ago. It has 94k miles. It is real clean and it is a one owner car. However, when I slow down to almost a stop ..there is a noise and feel of a small thud and when I take off there is another thud...almost like a drop. The transmission light is not on...it automatically shifts nice from 1st to 2nd when I accelerate. When I ease to a slow stop there is no noise and when I ease the acceleration there is no noise. Any clues?
    Thanks,
    Sean
  • exchngcarinfoexchngcarinfo Member Posts: 12
    The 2002 Axiom has an Active Suspension. It is controlled by microprocessor. It is designed to counter force against bump and lean motions exhibited by the body. It is a little over-agressive so whenever you blip the gas pedal or poke the brakes or stop a little hard you will feel a thump as it counter forces from the shocks. All the 2002 's do it and I think the rest of the model years also. You'll get used to it after a while and will not even notice it except when you hard stop.

The brakes will make a wet rubbing sound when you stop if you set the hand brake when you park and leave it on. I set the brake when I stop and shift into park and then release it after turning off the igntion as long as I am not on a hill. This seems to prevent the rubbing noise and sensation. When I do park on a hill I have the noise / sensation of wet rubbing brakes for the next 3 uses of the truck. Then it dissappears.

The engine makes a quiet diesel ticking sound when running because it has solid valve lifters. If the tick is loud you probably are low on oil. Pull the stick when the engine is cold and off. If the ticking is very loud and you have enough oil, you may need a valve adjustment, but this is unlikely unless you have a very high mileage on the engine or unless it has been run with low oil for a very very long time.

Hope this helps you folks.
  • mfaganmfagan Member Posts: 1
    i have a isuzu axiom 2002 the other day I noticed the war would not crank at times then would start as if nothing was wrong then the other day it just stopped cranking Ithought it might have been the starter but when I had it tested it was fine then I had the alternator test and it was functional. I was told it might be an alarm system malfunction. I was wondering if anyone has come across this problem and could tell me where to locate the anitheft system and disable it.
  • isu2isu2 Member Posts: 8
    what were the parts used (brands) to add the air bag shock mod.
  • ctsteelctsteel Member Posts: 1
    Looks like my 2002 Axiom (70,000 mi.) has a lower intake manifold leak, is this a common problem? The Isuzu parts guy told me you do not have to remove the upper intake first, upper and lower can be removed as one unit? Anyone know the torque sequence , I plan on doing this over the weekend.
  • rpg11rpg11 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if a 2003 isuzu axiom has an auxiliary input in the factory radio
  • bertbcfmbertbcfm Member Posts: 71
    Does anyone know if the active suspension shocks (Axiom 2002) can just be replaced with Rodeo or Trooper non-active shocks? I would think the Rodeo shocks of about the same year would fit. But I don't want to buy them and find that they don't fit.

Trying not to spend the big bucks on the active shocks. Besides the sport mode seems too stiff and the non-sport mode too slopy.

Regards
    Bert
  • kagojagkagojag Member Posts: 2
    I have an Isuzu Axiom '02 XS, 40K miles. I broke my driver side tail lights from a minor slip 'n bump, is it an easy fix? I found out from a dealership, the part replacement will cost $140+ tax, and the repair, sounded like the install will cost me plenty. The backside showed two bolts that I easily took out, but the things is still held inside by interior bolts. How do I go about fixing this. Need any help on it. Thanks!
    Go to http://www.myisuzuparts.com and look at page 57 of 72. After selecting 2002 Axiom. There is a close up of the lamp parts. There are probably breakers that have this part.

Good luck
    Bert
  • kagojagkagojag Member Posts: 2
    I would like to thank you for your help. The diagrams on the pages that you referred to proved invaluable to the replacement of my rear lamp on my Axiom XS'02. With your help, I was able to tackle the prob on hand, confidently, and in so doing, did some savings. I am sure this success story is just one among many, but anyway, my thanks.
    NonieRS
    My 2002 Axiom has 32K miles and recently (twice to be exact) the Check engine light has come on when pushing the gas (and goes out when you take your foot off the gas). I get home Check the oil and that is fine, drive it again and the light doesn't return. I have not gotten gas recently so it shouldn't be the gas cap and it runs fine. I know Autozone will pull your code for you but doesn't it have to be going off at that time, for them to get a code?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dennis P.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Once a code is thrown, it should stay stored in memory until someone clears it with a code reader.

That's not always true in real life, but that's the theory.
    I would bet that it is an intake manifold gasket. There is a warantee fix that is done in a few minuites and is free from the dealer. This a known problem and the symptoms sound like this is the problem.

Let me know how it turns out.

Also if your transmission begins to silp in 1st and /or 2nd gear (automatic) this is also a warantee problem and is common in the 2001 - 2002 French made transmission. There is an accumulator seal that begins to leak. It's another easy fix but initially the symptoms will freak you out. So keep this in mind.

Regards
    Bert
  • midmoaxiommidmoaxiom Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 had a similar problem: It would crank and then stop just before starting, Then turning the key would do nothing. If I shook a cable coming out of the fuze box, it usually started fine.

This problem started out of the blue, went on for three or four days, then never happened again. Strange.
    Well, most of you know that the Active Suspension sucks so just abandon it. I have put on shocks all around and the Axiom finally drives like a car, but a little bit stiff (that’s good to me). The front shocks can be replaced with KYB - GR2 344054, and the rears with a shock that is 3 inches longer than the shock that fits the non-active Axion. I can’t find the receipt or box so you have to talk to the engineering people at KYB or Monroe or other good shock manufacturer. The shock needs to be 2 to 3 inches longer as they moved up the top shock mount in the rear to accommodate for the Active Suspension valve. The shock idiot light comes on in the dash but so what? At least the car rides better then it ever has. Good luck with your Axion. ANy questions, contact me through forum.

Best regards
    Bert
  • daud1daud1 Member Posts: 2
    hi, i have a 02 axiom and i just found that my ABS wires are chewed up. Is there anyway i can reattach them? the wires are about an inch short. the dealer wants 350.00 for a replacement. any help is appreciated.
    thanks.