Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Compass Problems and Solutions

Comments

• Yep, I have the same leak around the map lights. But here's the difference: I don't have any trees around. And it stays in the garage most of the time. I left it parked outside a few days when my son had his car in the garage, and that's when it first started leaking.
    Mine is a 2009 Rallye and has 14,200 miles. I went to the dealer to try to trade it on a 2004 Jeep X with 33K (for my son), and they only wanted to give me $14000 for it and wanted $18K for the Jeep X. They know the Compass is a piece of junk, too! Guess I'm stuck with mine.
  • specvern03specvern03 Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2007 Sport Manual transmission and at times when I am driving at a constant speed and I need to speed up, I press the pedal more and it will not respond. I press the pedal a few times (feathering it) and then the vehicle 'chugs' and is fine.

Also, at times (I cannot find a common scenario when it happens) when I go to start the car for the first time after it has set for a bit, the car will not start. I don't get any noise from the starter- no "low battery" turn-over, no warning lights, just nothing at all. I turn the key to the off position and sometimes it takes a few times then it starts. I have taken it to the dealer and left it for a few days, but since there is no CEL recorded they cannot find or duplicate the issue. I am lost.
    :mad:

What's terrible is that I was a service writer for 6+ years and I have no power or pull what-so-ever now that I live in another state. And also because I am a girl, I have had several service writers talk "dumb" to me. (That makes me VERY angry!)

Anyway, adding to the other posts about musty/water smell. I have never had a water leak (that I know of) but living at the beach I always had water drug into my car. I bought a charcoal block (you can find the hangar and closet sections at Walmart). It will "soak-up" the smell and the moisture. I just put tin the rear cup-holder and it worked great.
  • 2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M) Raylle

Review

I thought I was making a decent investment it had 309 mi and was brand new. It's a jeep right? At 13,000 miles I had a worn set of tires that cost me $800 to replace. The warranty didn't cover the alignment problem I had. By 20,000 miles I had broken seat moldings on both sides of the vehicle. I also had an Airbag light blinking. The dealership fixed and within 2 weeks it came on again. My seat moldings are not covered by warranty due to "Natural wear and tear" on the jeep. :mad: Another set of tires at 24,000 miles. I am at 38,000 miles my warranty is over 3,000 miles and my transmission is going out. The dealership that sold me the car said it is a $6000 problem and my tires are worn again. :lemon:

I have tried to trade in the Compass twice now. My credit isn't great and I owe $15,000 still after 2 years. My compass only has 39,087 miles and I am upside down the dealers only want to give me $8000 for the Jeep. :lemon:

Favorite Features

It is awesome in the snow when my tires are good. Great to maneuver. Fun to drive and good looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Take it off the market or re haul the style. Jeep has better quality products then this. My brakes do not hold when parked on hills. :cry:
  • loniacloniac Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2007 Jeep Compass in Dec 07. Everything was going pretty well until last summer. I currently have around 65000 miles on it (I drive a lot!). Last summer I was parked outside for a couple days, and when I got in to drive, I was pelted with water coming from the map lights. It had been raining for a couple days. My entire floor was also wet. After that, I always made sure I was in the garage. Doesn't matter though. Car still leaks if it's raining and I am outside. Gonna have to take it in to the dealer I guess.

Also already had to replace the tie rods last summer. For a two year old car (at this point), this seems a little ridiculous. My wheels were so loose, it almost felt like they were going to fall off.

And currently, I hear a "whirring" noise when I drive. It almost sounds like a helicopter. I have no idea what is causing this, and no one else seems to know either.

I was really excited when I bought this car, as it had a lot of the features I was looking for. I was hoping to keep this car for a number of years. Now I just can't wait to get rid of it. What a waste. I expected a lot more from Jeep.
  • nukechasernukechaser Posts: 6
    There is, indeed, a great deal of complaints here that tend to lead one to believe that everyone expects their sunroof to be as watertight as a submarine hatch. This just isn't the case. Most sunroofs, regardless of manufacturer, allow some water to sneak by.

Why? We're dealing with a hole in a metal roof that expands and contracts with temperature, and we're using a compression seal that isn't pressed very hard into that hole.

That being said, there are two very important things to know and check if water is ending up in your map light. First, travel-limit of the glass in the closed position needs to be optimized. When we push the "close sunroof" button, there is a limit that tells the motor to stop. If it doesn't go far enough or too far, the seal isn't able to stop most of the water. Secondly, the the small amount of water that does get past the seal must have a drain path. If your drains that lead down through the windshield frame pillars are clogged, the water pools where it can. Where is the lowest point near the sunroof? Yup, the map light.

If you go back through the archives here, you'll read how some folks didn't have a problem if they parked a particular way. This is because they parked with the Compass tilted with the "working" drain on the downhill side.

Next time it rains, park your Compass level, slide the opaque sun screen open, and bring a flashlight and an umbrella. Point your flashlight into the sunroof tracked area and watch how some water drips right past the seal. You should see some drips, but not a constant, steady flow.

Once you determine which side allows the most "drip-by", open the sunroof, stick your umbrella up through it, open your umbrella and look with your flashlight where that "drip-by" was going. It should be heading towards the drains running along the sides of the windshield. If they are clogged, you'll need to clear them out, either with compressed air or have them "snaked" with something to clear the blockage.

Remember, travel limit and drains. These are what need to be checked and you stand a good chance of eliminating that "wet map light" problem.

For the record, I bought an '07 Compass in Sept. '06. I have over 81k miles on it. I had a slight "wet map light" issue (until I figured out the issue) and I also had a "whirring noise" which turned out to be a failed alternator bearing. Overall, I am happy with my Compass.
  • maryoregonmaryoregon Posts: 1
    I just hit 25,000 miles with my '09 Jeep Compass only to have my map lights start leaking last week. Fortunately for me I called my local Jeep dealership who told me exactly how to unplug the drains myself (unless I wanted to pay them $100+ for the service). I am proud to report that I have fixed the leak (living in Portland OR and parking outside all day is a great test for my handiwork!). Here's all you need to do: open up your sunroof, put a small step stool or ladder next to the drivers' side door, grab a flashlight and a large pitcher of very hot water and climb up. There is a drain hole in each corner side of the front opening of the sunroof (flashlight helps locate them). I slowly poured the hot water and it immediately drained thru my left side drain (I parked in the garage and heard it hitting/dripping onto the floor) but my right side drain just pooled the water. It very slowly drained so I waited about 30 minutes and got a 2nd pitcher of very hot water and climbed back up. The water still didn't sail thru the right drain but I was patient and eventually the pitcher of hot water worked its way up to a fast drain. It's been pouring rain again this week and knock wood my map lights have not leaked since. I plan on doing my hot water clean-out every few months to avoid any future clogs. After I backed my Jeep out of the garage I inspected the pools of water on the floor and it was obviously very gritty/sooty so these drains must be prone to collecting crud. I thought I'd post this to save others from the money & hassle of going to the dealership. Thanks to the helpful guy at NW Jeep!
  • dick50dick50 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2008 Compass Sport 4X4 with 2.4 engine and CVT. When I start out in the morning, it won't accelerate, just goes very slow for several hundred feet. If I push the accelerator hard, it sometimes jumps ahead when the fuel feed catches. This is a potentially dangerous situation that the dealer cannot diplicate. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!
  • Help Please!! I am having the same issue and the dealership is not helping me. My warranty has just expired after they supposedly fixed the problem. 2 weeks later now it is worse than before! If you could please let me know how you resolved your issue I will greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks!!
    Bridget
  • I am having this exact same problem. When I took it to the shop they were telling me that it was a sensor in the tire which I did not believe. Now, a week later, I still do not have my car and they are telling me it will be another week before they can even look at it. I have a 10-year, 100,000 mile warranty. Is this problem covered under the warranty?
  • jorgemxjorgemx Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have a similar issue. I live in Mexico City (2000 Kilometers above the sea level) and I have no problem at all, but when I get to the beach, the problem appears, when I try to accelerate to pass another car the accelerator pedal does not respond, and the engine losses power. I need to depress the accelerator pedal to try to get a response again. This may become a safety issue in an emergency situation. Does any one has an idea of what this problem might be? Something similar to the problem in accelarators in some Toyota models?
  • I was thinking the same thing when the recall was released. When the news broke I checked my vin and it was clean of recalls. I need to check again. Its crazy, Toyota's can't stop and ours won't go. I guess it's better then the latter.

I am hesitant to continue to take it to dealers. I don't have the time to waste with them telling me they cannot find any issues. It almost sees like Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler is penny-pinching everything even when it comes to checking out warranty problems.
  • pincherpincher Posts: 1
    I have an 07 compass that has the "musty smell" I took it to the dealer and the chimps put it under a sprinkler and told me they could not find anything. What a bunch of bone heads! I told them that it must be coming from underneath. They just could not wrap there little chimp brains around that idea. I have heard of people having leaks from under the car. Can anyone be spacific as to the location. I will have to hold the little chimps hand and point to it for him. I like my compass but my wife wants the stinky thing gone! Someone please help me fix it.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    The odor is likely coming from your air conditioning system where water accumulates and allows mildew to develop. In any case, I don't think that insulting technicians and mechanics with crude name calling is particularly helpful and reflects poorly on someone looking for help. Stop to consider that some of those same technicians and mechanics who frequent our Forums may be less willing to offer guidance given those comments.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • My 2009 Compass sunroof just leaked again today from my map light. I just went to the dealer to show them the problem, hoping they will not tell me that they can not duplicate the problem when I bring in my car for the service next Tuesday! But after reading maryoregan's posting I am also going to try the same thing (even though my car is only 7K miles today and still under warranty). If it works I am going to cancel the appointment. Incidentally, I did I see one time, when the sunroof was open, a huge dap of lubrication grease on the sunroof metal glide and I bet it is this grease that is clogging the drain hole right now.
  • My 2008 Jeep Compass is in the shop as I write for the leaking sunroof (3rd time). The first time it was under warranty. 2nd time Chrysler paid. This time they tell me it's the gasket and that all I have to pay for is the $75.00 part. OK. I realize sunroof are going to leak and I will pay this $75.00 part. But is this going to be an annual or semi-annual occurrence? Oh, and this April when I had the car inspected, had to replace the tierods. Two years old. Everything else I've liked about the Jeep but I too thought tierods after only two years was odd.
  • The last 3 times i have filled my 2007 Compass up with gas (only tank up about once every 3 wks), it stalls out within one minute of leaving the gas station. Has happened on the move and also stationary at red light. Only happens immediately after tank-up and gives me no problem until the next tank-up.

Any advice?

(BTW, i concur with the many discussions about lacking power, surging, and sluggishness that i have read in theses threads)...
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    I can tell ya what the dealer might say.......gas cap is not tight. We had a 07 Compass for 4 months and 9,000 miles. We hated it!!! hard plastic, nothing of quality, fit and finish were really something like from a Yougo. The CVT was horrid, mpg was less than 24. We dumped it and bought a Pacific Touring AWD. I can not understand how a large Pacific with a weight of 4,785 lbs gets 26+ mpg when the compass struggled to get 24. The quality between the two is beyond belief.

My advice is sell it before it eats you alive.
  • ln88ln88 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 jeep compass back in november of 07'. The issues I've been having with the car are endless and my warranty is up the the dealerships could care less about my issues. So far I've had to replace ball joints, endless amounts of tires I think in the last 3 years that I've owned it ive been through about 4 or 5 sets, I replaced my front passenger axle, the suspension is shot, everything is just rusted to crap and now the rear end of the car is making this noise that I dont even know how to explain? Sounds like a helicopter you can barely hear yourself think in that car.. Does anyone else have or had these issues? Im to the point where I don't want the car any more I have a 1 year old to care for and the car is costing me more than she does. Any suggestions would be helpful as to what I could possibly do to fix the car
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,560
    If you live in or near DC and have had fuel spitback issues with your car, please email pr@edmunds.com before Monday, February 28, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and the year, make and model of your car.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I bought my 2007 compass in november of 07 also. This car is the worst vehicle I have ever owned! At 20000 miles I had all the tie rods replaced, 2 control arms and some other parts. My map light leaks. Now my car sounds like a diesel truck! I was told it was the pulley's and after having them replaced it still sounds like a semi! The dealer said it's my alternator. I have never heard an alternator make noise like this. My tires have to be checked often because somehow the lugs come loose. I cannot believe there was never a recall on this car! I will NEVER buy another one again.
  • macysmacys Posts: 2
    LOL! I know everything you wrote is serious, but I love your sense of humor behind it all hahahaha....especially the part about the car costing more than your baby :) Hang in there...I hope you find a way into get out of this car and into something that isn't so freakin' loud!
  • i have had the exact same problems wait until your rear trailing arms have to be replaced i replaced my alternator for the second time since i have owned my vehicle idler bearings are shot etc. i will also never buy a Chrysler again 150,000km of hell!
  • ben91ben91 Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of a 2007 Jeep compass. The warranty ended 3 years/36000 mi. I currently have 42000. The scheduled maintenance for the transmission isn't due until 60K. About two weeks ago the front started to make a grinding noise. I took it to the dealership to see whats up. They said its the transmission, they tore it apart which cost about a $1000 and said the reduction gear went bad. And unfortunately they don't make replacement parts for their crappy transmissions. So it needs a new one which costs around $5000. I called chrysler and complained, I ended up getting a case number. The case work said if there are no signs of neglect that they might pay 50% or maybe more. As of right now I have no car to drive, the case worker will not return my calls. The local transmission shops will not even touch these cvt transmisions. From what i'vee read there seems to be alot of problems with this transmission in the 2007 compass. Chrysler acts like they know nothing.
  • wvmusicfanwvmusicfan Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    My 2009 Jeep Compass is now in the shop for the second time with a leaking sunroof..the water runs out around the map lights. The first time was last summer and they told me one of the welds was not complete, fixed it no problem. Now they tell me that the drains are clogged with dirt, but that it was due to no fault of my own. They are contacting Chrysler to see if they will cover it as a design flaw. In my humble opinion if it's a design flaw I shouldn't have to pay for the fix, but who knows. :(
  • sls2sls2 Posts: 2
    happened to me today 29,980 miles 2007 compass mil lite came on with p0741 code. Dealer checked it out and said it needs a transmission. in addition they said they cannot replace the valve body separately. the entire trans must be replaced.
  • sls2sls2 Posts: 2
    dealer chk and verified that the tcc valve in the valve body is bad. said that they don't repair the valve body they have to replace the entire transmission. cost about 4-6000 bucks.

lucky i have mechanical breakdown ins with geico they will pay minus 250 deduct. just wondering if its true that they replace the entire trans rather then the valve body and it's components.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I believe the Compass has a CVT transmission. Typically, these units cannot be repaired but can only be replaced.
  • ismyjeepokismyjeepok Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I think I am a proud owner of a 2011 Jeep Compass Lemon, today on my daily commute my 2011 Jeep Compass with 4900 miles on it experienced a massive oil leak. While driving I heard a single "ding" with the oil indicator on. Luckily I was near a 7-11 and pulled in. What I witnessed was oil pouring out of the under side, a long with some white smoke (nasty oil smoke). I shut the car off and checked the oil, discovering that it had no oil left in it. I had my lemon towed to the dealership and after waiting 8 short hours they reported that the oil filter was over tightened by the factory, this caused the oil filter housing to crack. This issue happened suddenly witout any indication that anything was wrong. Now I am left wondering how much life I just took off of my engine with running it with no or little oil for a breif period of time (ever seen that oil commercial where they run the engine with no oil, it turns red and siezed - yikes). Dealership simply did an oil change, replacing the faulty oil filter. Hope this doesn't happe to anybody, cost me a day of work and has left me wondering why my new car already sucks. Let this serve as documentation that this problem exists.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    I bought a 2007 Jeep Compass 2.4L CVT AWD Sport on April 7, 2007. I traded the Compass in on a Chrysler Pacifica Touring AWD on Aug. 31, 2007 with about 9,000 miles on it.

The MPG was 20 to 24, but generally 21 mpg. The seats were hard abd stiff, the CVT had the engine going up and down constantly. The engine was loud and the car has no coasting, when you took your foot off the gas the car quickly slowed down almost no glide at all. The dash was a misture af ten or more parst the had huge gaps. The plastic was cheap and hard. There was no place to touch that was soft, not even arm rests. SAY NOTHING OF THE MOST GUTLESS 4 CYCLENDER ENGINE I HAVE EVER DRIVEN.

I took a royal beating trading it in, but we hated the car. Our Pacifica gets better fuel mileage that that cheap Compass.

MY ADVICE "DUMP THE COMPASS" hOWEVER THE QUALITY OF THE INSIDE IS MUCHED IMPROVED IN 2011
  • apesalotapesalot Posts: 1
    Soooo I just bought a new 2011 Jepp Compass Latitude (10 days ago). Drove it for 3 days before I put the key in to start it... there was about a 2 sec delay. Then it started. The radio/cd/harddrive went out... they clicker wouldn't work at all & when you took the key out (lights off- i triple checked) the car would still ding.. Everytime you started the car- it would reset the clock to 12:00, Like it cut all power. Called the dealership, they switched cars with me. On the guys way back to the dealership he said it started working b/c the radio came on & scared him half to death (we had it turned up all the way). Then of course, the dealership could not "recreate the problem" I went to pick it up this Saturday. Got to the first red light away, and the car just DIED. It restarted fine & I thought it maybe a fluke so I kept driving.. and the next red light IT DIED AGAIN. So I took it right back. They gave me a loner car off the lot- the exact same car I bought. I drove it this weekend & it did die 1 time.. but other than that, fine. Right now I have put more miles on my loner car than on the actual car I bought.. I dont know what to do :-((((