Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Compass Problems and Solutions

Comments

• dave431dave431 Posts: 1
    over the last 2 years I've had the same problem. so far to date, I've replaced the front control arms 5 times, bushings 4 times, sway bar 2 time, rear control arms 3 times, rear bushings 4 times. I was speaking to a non Chrysler mechanic and he told me that it is that part of the problem is because they switched to a plastic bushing. Not sure if that it true but it seems to be because every time I ask the dealership about it they avoid answering the question. All I can say is thank god for warranty.
  • I just had to replace my front lower control arms too. My vehicle is an 07 with 41k. They said the arms had over an inch of play in them. I knew they were bad but I did not know how bad.

Honestly... I have come to the conclusion that most of the parts that Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge use on their vehicles are crap. The only reliable things they produce are their diesel engines (mostly from Cummins) and the flag-ship engines (ones regularly used in a large variety of vehicles).

Electrical... crap. Transmission internals...crap. Drive components... crap. Suspension parts... crap. Engine, mechanically speaking... will not die, but might not run because of the other crappy parts attached.

I have given up hoping for a train to hit my car, someone to steal it, a hurricane to flood it, or any similar situation to relieve me of the Jeep disease. I might just as well keep it "content" and running until its paid off.

I know this will stir someone's exuberant I-love-my-Compass attitude... so in all respect, don't get your internet-arguing-panties in a bunch; its just my honest opinion.
  • I have a 2007 Compas with 38K miles. I have been having issues with both front floors being soaked from the a/c leaking. I have had clean the drain under the gas pedal and then unscrew the box on the other side to let the water out over there. Now it just gushes all over the passenger floor board. I had a friend clean out the air intake to make sure it wasn't blocked. Very frustrating. Any answers? Hate dealing with Jeep dealership as they love to upsell everything to women. Arghh!
  • cgregorcgregor Posts: 1
    My new 2012 Jeep Compass decided to die on me on a highway 1000 miles from home! It was the same problem I have seen posted quite often here; no acceleration and car dies. I was lucky enough to be able to coast to the side of the road, and 2 hours later I was towed. The car had power, but would not turn over. It was also making a weird clicking noise like it had run out of oil (I just had the car serviced before the trip at my dealership). I was 1000 miles from home, it was after midnight, and needless to say, I was quite annoyed that my new car did this. I had to rent a car to continue my trip. Without getting into too much detail, the local Jeep dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. after getting home, my dealer has had the car for 4 days, and they claim they are replacing the gas tank and doing some other fixes. I'm really upset with Chrysler for refusing to reimburse me for the rental and related costs! Beware before you buy this car!!!!!
  • I had 65,000 miles but when I took it to Firestone for an oil change/tire rotation, they were shocked that I hadn't noticed the problem earlier. Both lower control arms are shot - the mechanic said I was lucky I didn't lose a tire while driving! Now Jeep insists on towing it - which the mechanic said might cause the car to fall (can't wait to see what happens tomorrow). I filed a safety complaint with the department of transportation since losing a tire while driving is definitely a safety concern. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. Never heard of anyone having a problem like this with a car... especially not under 100,000 miles. Crossing my fingers and hoping this gets included in the major recall they did on Libertys for the same part.
  • Luckily my 2007 Jeep Compass is no longer my problem!!!

I sold it and had enought to buy a used car.
  • cz33cz33 Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4 I bought it new in March 2012, a month ago with 4000 miles espically when using the ac, but sometimes when not, it will start bucking almost like it is out of gas, and it usually happens also at low speeds 10-30 mph when it starts bucking if you step on the gas it doesnt go anywhere. I know a 4cly with the ac on will be sluggish but the car sits there and laughs at you when this happens.

I contacted the dealer and brought it in, they had it for 2 days and finally the second day the assistant manager of service told me he experienced it and that the car does sit there and laugh at you when it happens, he said he contacted chyrsler engineering and they have no fix for the issue, he also said they told him to do an update on the PCM and reflash the computer, he said he did and it still does it. They cannot get any error codes and the transmission shift points, the transmission and everything else is fine.

I then talked to the service manager who was right away " the 4 cyl will not have power with the ac on" I explained the entie issue to him and he said "bring it back in and we will take it for a ride."

Basically the dealer is trying to say its normal for the compass and thats that, I have owned 4 cyl 6 cyl and 8 cyl cars and trucks, I know the difference between sluggish and not working right and I m not sure what else to do, besides the lemon law, or possibly suing the dealer ship.

Does anyone else have this issue? Know of a fix? Any help would be appreicated.
  • sharb22sharb22 Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2007 Compass new in Sept. 2007. I have had so many of the problems listed in previous messages. My ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings needed to be replaced between 42,000 and 55,000 miles. The seat moldings on both sides of my Jeep have broken or cracked along with the fuse box cover. Dealer told me it was from living in MN and having the weather extremes from hot to cold. My check engine light went on around 60,000 miles and needed a new computer module. A new alternator at 81,000 miles. Although there was not a lot of power to begin with, Jeep has started 'bogging down' while driving. Also- paint is chipped up and down driver side front and back doors, right along the edge, causing little tiny rust spots. Was told doors weren't properly wrapped after painting.

If I hadn't rolled my previous loan into this one I would have gotten rid of this Jeep a long time ago. Although I could trade it in now with 90,000 miles on it, I will just drive it until it dies since I enjoy not having a car payment, or until it actually stalls and puts my life at risk as others have stated.

The only great thing I can say about this vehicle is that it gets around really well in the snow and slush, even when it's not in 4 wheel drive. Other then that, I wouldn't ever purchase another one or recommend to others. :lemon:
  • I thought i was the only person that had so many problems with this car!! Everything u listed i had to replace plus control arms. my car would randomly not want to go anywhere while stepping on the gas it just jerked!! wtf!!! at 79k i had to replace the catylitic convertor. Thank god that was covered under state law until 80k ( finally i got a break )! Dealers lie they know this jeep is trash. I had majhor problems at 20k i was told it was fine by the dealer... they waited until my 36k warranty was up to tell me everything that needed to be fixed. NEVER AGAIN
  • Hi everyone! My 98' Honda Accord just officially broke down yesterday and now I'm in search for a new vehicle. I have had all sorts of problems with in the last few months with my car and I'm looking for something reliable and that will last about 4 years with out any major issues. I've always liked the Jeep Compass but I'm reading a lot of reviews on Edmunds that say don't buy, but most are talking about 2007 models, are these issues in the 2007 models still apparent in the 2012 models? If so any other Crossover or smaller SUV are recommended instead of the Jeep Compass?
  • debwkdebwk Posts: 1
    THrilled to know someone else has that issue! No solution that I know of.
  • jennlikesyarnjennlikesyarn Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    If you don't feel like reading my whole post, this pretty much sums up my opinion of Jeeps right now: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

I just took my 2007 Jeep Compass in for inspection. As usual (which is sad), I expected at least $500 worth of repairs due to things other people have mentioned.

In previous years, it was the alignment being off and destroying my tires (I live in a very pothole-filled area, but being a Jeep, you'd think it would handle that well) and other similar issues. Last year, I was told my ball joints would need to be replaced by this year - which is true. $500 easily down the drain. But deep down, I knew there would be other problems because there always are.

In the past year, I've experienced other problems like my dome light leaking every time it rains, the car just randomly stopping while I'm driving, and the shift getting stuck in first gear and not being able to push it back up.

But on top of that, with just over 40,000 miles on the thing, I'm having transmission issues. Should a car that's five years old with 40,000 miles on it have transmission issues? Also, my brakes are dying and my front tires barely passed inspection - tires that I just got replaced last year - probably because of the alignment problems.

Someone else mentioned that it drives well in the winter, even without all-wheel drive. This much is true. But it's not worth the thousands of dollars I've now invested in repairs and the fact that every time it rains, I get poured on thanks to my dome light (which other people have posted about and there's no long-lasting fix for it).

Please tell me these common-for-a-Compass issues have been fixed in newer models because this is ridiculous.
  • I have an answer that I think will fix a whole range of Compass problems. I too have a 2012 Latitude 4x4. When the jeep was 4 weeks old I started experiencing all kinds of crazy problems. I would have to constantly re program the auto unlock feature-it would arbitrarily change from disabled to enabled almost on a daily basis. My low tire light would not go out even though I kept the tires at 32 psi. On top of that, I got poor 18 -19 mpg. I decided to go to the heart of everything, the engine compartment fuse block module. I tested all fuses with the ignition on but with the motor not running and I found many dead circuits. I removed the fuse block module (after having disconnected the battery) and checked all fuse block connectors which are on the bottom of the module. I found loose connector plugs and even a cheap one like the kind you can find on your computer motherboard. I examined the connectors, straightened out some bent pins and then made sure all connectors were tight and firm. Guess what, all the electrical problems went away and I now get 22 mpg around town. I'm sure that many Chryslers and not just Jeeps have this cheap fuse block syndrome. It's been one month since the fix and my compass is running beautifully.
  • #159 of 159 Re: 2012 Jeep Compass Latitude Bucking no power issue [cz33] by rbortone
    Nov 09, 2012 (8:52 pm)
    Replying to: cz33 (Jul 14, 2012 12:55 pm)
    I have an answer that I think will fix a whole range of Compass problems. I have a 2012 Latitude 4x4. When the jeep was 4 weeks old I started experiencing all kinds of crazy problems. I would have to constantly re program the auto unlock feature-it would arbitrarily change from disabled to enabled almost on a daily basis. My low tire light would not go out even though I kept the tires at 32 psi. On top of that, I got poor 18 -19 mpg. I decided to go to the heart of everything, the engine compartment fuse block module. I tested all fuses with the ignition on but with the motor not running and I found many dead circuits. I removed the fuse block module (after having disconnected the battery) and checked all fuse block connectors which are on the bottom of the module. I found loose connector plugs and even a cheap one like the kind you can find on your computer motherboard. I examined the connectors, straightened out some bent pins and then made sure all connectors were tight and firm. Guess what, all the electrical problems went away and I now get 22 mpg around town. I'm sure that many Chryslers and not just Jeeps have this cheap fuse block syndrome. It's been one month since the fix and my compass is running beautifully.
  • I just started a lease on a 2012 Jeep Compass on October 1, 2012 - about 2 weeks ago, I had the strangest thing happen. I went to put on my right blinker and my windshield wiper swiped once across the windshield. I thought I may have clicked the wiper by accident. I started driving with my left hand only, my right hand away from the wiper. It has happened numerous times since then, only swiping once across. Then the other night, I was turning right, the entire time I had my blinker on, my wipers were going. I turned off my blinker, the wipers stopped. What could this possibly be! Obviously a wiring issue, but has anyone else had this experience?? My service department at the dealership has AWFUL hours and I am having a hard time getting there for them to look at it.
  • I have this same problem right now. It only happeneds when I am turning right. I happened to me 4 times today and i had to actually turn on my windshield wipers and then turn them back off in order to get them to go off. have you taken your jeep to the dealership to see what they say about it? When i took mine in the guy acted as if i was full of crap. They had my jeep all day and when I got it back later that day as I was turning right they started going again. The dealership claims that they changed out my turn signal which I hold the [non-permissible content removed] flag tall and high due to the fact when I bought the jeep it had a imperfection on the blinker knob. and guess what? its still there. Oh and to make matters even worse I bought this jeep brand new with 20 miles. I now only have 2200 and i got it in august.. so if you have any idea what it is please share. Thanks
  • Great! I'm not going crazy! It hasn't happened to me lately, but yes, it is only when I am turning right! And I've had it so bad that I, too, had to turn my wipers on and then turn them off to make it stop.

I haven't taken it to the dealer because my dealership has awful service hours (7:30-4:30 M-F only, Saturdays only for oil changes!) and with my job schedule, I haven't been able to get there during the week.

And yes, I started my lease in October and the problem started in late November! I wish I could help you figure out the problem, but if you do bring it back to the dealer with a successful end, please let me know what the cause is so I can hopefully let the dealer know in advance and hopefully skip having to leave my car there all day.

Or hopefully someone may have the solution in this forum!

Good luck!
  • On January 3rd I brought my Jeep in to dealer because my 08 Compass would not shut off even after removing key. It would run and periodically the guages would all go crazy. After removing a battery connection, it finally stopped. Service did a flash to update pcm soft ware updated pcm voltage. $215.00

Ran ok for a week. Big rainstorm, and had the leaking map lights. Got to work again car wouldn't shut off. I didn't have the ability to pull any battery connectors so I called dealer and explained the car was doing the exact same thing the flash was supposed to fix. After a bit, they agreed to tow my car - as it was undrivable. Was bucking and lurching. While I was waiting for the tow, the engine began to overheat as I was sitting in the car _ big rainstorm going on outside. I popped hood to let the heat escape. When tow arrived, I observed the coolant boiling in the resevoir.

Next day, Dealer says that due to the leaking sunroof drains, it cuased a short in inte hpower connector - so they cleaned it all out. They did not charge me for this. Of note, a 26 power point inspection was completed.

Sorry this is a saga, but hang with me.

So I don't get car for a few days - it's a weekend...so I pick up car on Monday night, and it was very cold here in Texas. I only live a few miles away, so it drove home no problem...Go to work the next day and after driving for about 20 minute car starts overheating. I blast heat and open windows and this keeps the temp light off. If I turned down heat the temp light would come on.

After it cools off, I check the Antifreeze. There is none. Absolutely none. So much for the 26 point inspection (which they admitted was part of the inspection).

Here's my dilmena. They just called and told me the overheating caused the radiator cap to go bad, and that I need a radiator flush. It's not related to anything else, and is therefore not covered under my warranty (lifetime powertrain).

Is that correct? I can conclusively say that hte overheating was the direct result of the short which caused the car to run forever. If that hadn't been a problem, then this wouldn't be a problem. They are connected. they want to charge me $250 which I don't have.

I know this is long, but PLEASe if anyone can help me speak their language I would really appreciate it! And am I wrong? If I am, then ok, but ...I just don't think so.
  • I need to boost my 2007 Jeep Compass (only -35 here in Ottawa, Canada) and car has been sitting in this weather since January 9th. I can't move the lever part that is under the hood. I have big hands so getting under the hood is a challenge.

Help, I really need to do this today.

Thanks,

Suzie

PS, I have read all of the posts and I've been lucky in that I bought mine in 2010 and all the repairs needed were done. I guess the previous owners got tired of spending so much money. To date I have been very lucky. Now if I can only get it going so I can make it to a doctors appointment.
  • I am alittle worried after I just had this Electronic Throttle Control come on for the first time this Sat. afternoon. Just finished paying off my 2008 Jeep Compass North Edition in Dec.. No more warranty. Just getting off hwy and stopped at red light then when I went to go I had very low power to accelerate and notice ETC dash light on for the first time. Lucky enough the next street to turn off was very close as I very slowly drove to this next turn off.Then turned off Jeep - thinking it had over heated or maybe cruise control problem since I forgot to turn it off. I grabbed my owners manual to see what this dash light was to find out it was ETC. After waiting for over a minute I started Jeep since I had to get to a important meeting that was not to far from where I was. Jeep sat for about 1 hr. Drove around the city I was in with no problems. Then when I drove on hwy back home no problem until again getting off Hwy going home then exact same problem with same procedure to fix it. I took it into the Chrysler dealership here in my city to get fixed( Only $60) but when I looked at invoice there was no mention of work on Electronic Throttle Control but Flashed ABS module and no other codes and traction control light wasn't on when driven in shop. So I need to know if your Jeep got fixed and how. Please and Thank you.