Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz GL Class Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• Any advice on where to go to get a replacement part for the front side of the side rail, drivers side? The dealer quoted some crazy price to replace the whole rail.

In addition, is there a good, free resource site to identify part numbers with diagrams? I could contact my service advisor on this I suppose.
  • ejm767ejm767 Posts: 1
    On my 2007 GL 450 does anyone know how to clear the brake wear indicator on the message info center once pads have been replaced?
  • Anyone had engine compression problems where a cylinder is no longer fully working and has bent the cam rod?
  • We bought our 07 GL450 (CPO with extended warranty) in mid Feb. There were issues with the car from the start. I meant even during the first time we saw the car in the lot the tailgate won't open. The dealer claimed someone had drained the battery. . . . so we bought it. Then we noticed the DVD doesn't work during the delivery and some other small things. Brought the car back the vary same wknd and left it there to have everything fixed. That's just say that was the beginning of many other problems. 7 months into the ownership, I have been to the dealership for at least 10 visits with two overnight repairs and I am taking the car back for another issue with the tailgate tomorrow. The rep at the dealership recognizes my number when I call that's how frequent problems appear. . . . Don't really have the time to deal with this piece of junk with work and two babies under 3 y.o. Can anyone guide me what to do next?! Thank you!!
  • Anyone know the release date on this vehicle?
  • atlplayaxatlplayax Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am considering buying a 2009 GL550. This will be my first Benz, been more of a BMW person but want the 3rd row capability of the GL. I have been reading a lot about the reliability issues of the GL. Main reason to buy this truck is for long trips for the family so would like to have a car that will not leave us stranded.

Current owners, what has been your experiences so far with this vehicle ?, what would you suggest I look out for ?. Thanks in advance
  • I am looking to buy a Mercedes GL 500, model 2009. One of checks a friend of mine does before buying a second hand car is to start the engine and then open the hood and remove the oil cap, according to him if oil bubble out then it is not a good sign. When we did that with the GL I was interested in, oil bubbled out. Is oil bubbling out any indicator of engine problems?
  • mlevinemlevine Posts: 203
    I am not sure of the oil bubble, but I would be careful with older models of the GL. Many problems noted on this forum especially with 2007 and earlier. I personally stay away from used/pre-owned vehicles. Despite the car fax information, one does not really know much about the vehicle including the dealer. The only pre-owned vehicle I would maybe consider would be a lease return or trade in that was bought and serviced at that MB dealership. There is still an issue that the vehicle may have had many problems requiring extensive srvice at the dealership. Look into a GL 2012 that may still be available.
  • GL450 is unreliable and has poor quality from my experience.

I own a Mercedes Benz 2012 GL450, I bought it new. it is at 27000 miles now.

My GL450 has so many problems. suspension noises for left and right sides, radios turns on by itself, excessive dust on front wheel, car suddenly level up when parked sometimes.. it has been in the shop back and forth at least 4 times, around 3 weeks time in the shop. Rental car guys know me personally because I have been there so many times. I finally got my car back today, suspension noises are gone finally (after at least 3 times trying), but new problem showed up, I can't start it with first try. For one time, I tried at least five times in my garage today. It is scary !!! especially for a one year old car and I am disappointed considering I bought it over $70k and it is a Mercedes !

I tried to work with Mercedes Benz customer service and dealership. Here are their responses.

Mercedes Benz customer service: Mercedes offers little help and very arrogant, manager told me "you car is still drivable", they don't care about customer satisfaction as they claimed.

Dealership: they try to sell me a new GL450 2013 at MSRP. Good job dealership, take advantage of your customer who needs help and still thinking make money from your customer with a lemon car.
  • My wife purchased a 2008 GL 450 in 2010. The vehicle was in the inventory of a local dealter as a lease return and only had 22K miles on it at the time. My wife was convinced this could be her "forever car" thus did not mind spending some extra dollars for this model. Things went fairly well for the remainder of the 50K warranty with the exception of a "roaring noise" which seems to come from the right front quarter of the car as one is driving. The dealership called it "tire noise" and refused to pursue the issue any further. Having spent over 30 years in the R&D side of the tire manufacturing business I knew for sure that answer was wrong. The warrantly ran out at 50K and things began happening. The roaring noise persisted. Air bags began to fail...three of the four within six months time. The dealership wanted $1300 for each one installed. I found rebuilt ones on line for less than half that price. The plastic radiator chamber has a small leak, and the power steering pump is now leaking with less than 60K on the car. What a bad decision we made in buying this vehicle. We are looking at replacing it now but with the experience we have had to date, there is little likelihood that it will be with another MB GL. This vehicle is literally the least reliable, most expensive to maintain vehicle that we have ever owned. Mercedes should be sending out letters of apology to all us suckers.

• Oh...I also failed to mention that the plastic coating is bubbling up and coming off all the black windown trim down each side of the 08 GL 450.

2»