Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander Maintenance and Repair

191011121315»

Comments

• r8dr8d Posts: 2
    so finally went to the mitsubishi service center, seem that it was just an dirty sensor. Got the warning rest. All seems ok.....for now.
  • anm032204anm032204 Posts: 1
    My 2010 Outlander locked my ignition and could not be started unless I got my battery jumped because my dome light was left on for a couple hours. A few months back the same thing happened, the ignition locked and had to get a jump because I left the radio on for a few hours and I replaced my batter then. Does anyone know how to get it to stop doing that?
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    What do you mean by "ignition locked." Couldn't turn the key? If it's just a dead battery the interior lights should shut themselves off after a while, I know mine do. Leaving the radio on for an extended period of time will kill the battery, a few hours should be OK. Still have the original battery in my '07, gonna replace it before winter.
  • jonoxjonox Posts: 84
    Just had a 3 year service under the severe maintenance schedule protocol required for Canadian owners. The 2010 AWD Outlander ES has 26,320 kilometers (16324 miles). I declined a mechanic's recommendation to have the brake fluid flushed every 3 years. I see no mention of this procedure in the Mitsu service schedule but notice the owners manual specifies dot3 or dot4 brake fluid rather than the more advanced dot5 spec.

Given the advanced braking systems on these vehicles with ABS and ASC stability control what would be a reasonable brake fluid flush interval?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,818
    I don't know about Mitsu, but BMW recommends a brake fluid change every two years...

Brake fluid is hygroscopic..... it attracts water.. Water makes rust... Not good for brake lines..

I think your mechanic gave good advice, in this case..

Good luck!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    For some mysterious reasons when my wife started our car,(Outlander GT 2012) yesterday while visiting a friend the message “keyless operation system service required” appeared on the driver’s controls fascia.

Querying my wife about what happened at her friends she told me that they have been using remotes (transmitter) to open the gate of their home and also the same (or other remote) to open the garage door.

Making a search on Google about the problem it comes out that this problem is endemic specially with the Mitsubishi EVO where drivers could not even start the engine as usual (having the key in his/her pocket). Some of these owners had to transport their car to the dealer to sort out the problem and others decided to use the manual key to start the engine, which was a relief when the engine started. However, they inform that the “warning message” is still there.

Everybody seems to be concerned about how to solve the problem but no one seem interested to know what triggers the problem in the first place.

RF remotes in the US work in the region of 315 MHz and every remote used in the country has to use this range of frequency to operate including every car used in the US (by law).

At the moment we cannot lock our car by touching the little button adjacent to the door handle and although we can still use the control key to open the door (by pressing the key manually), and start the engine while having the control key in our pocket the warning message:”Keyless operation system service required” is still there.

We will appreciate it, if members in this forum may provide their own comments and experiences about this problem.
  • I just brought a used 03 Outlander , my third Mitis . Is there anything I need to know about this model such as possible problems or quirks . I am aware of the temp dial issue .
  • tommltomml Posts: 1

My experience in "The best warranty".

Last year my outlander had a noise under the car, it was caused by heat shield. Delear fixed it under warranty. The same noise(even louder) came back this week, Called the dealer, they said it should be the heat shield. They only removed the loose part last year and this time they said that they will tie it down and it would be an adjustment therefore not covered under warranty. Called Mitsubishi, they agree with the dealer.

Good car, bad service. Never buy it again.

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,241

Heat shields ought to be covered under the B2B warranty. What year/how many miles are on your Outlander?

I did have a couple of clamps that held my heat shield rust through this winter; the dealer replaced them at no cost under warranty. But I'm within the time & miles for the B2B.

• comem47comem47 Posts: 395

Anyone replace their liftgate struts yet? I see places like Advance Auto don't map a specific strut to specific vehicles and you must match the weight and travel and purchase that way. Just hoping someone's been through the exercise and has a part number (other than going to the "stealer".)

BTW: it's for a 2007 Outlander LS.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,267

RockAuto.com shows a few lift supports for the rear hatch and one brand (Monroe) lists the specs. Maybe that'll help narrow your search down. It's listed under Body Exterior > Lift Support.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Thanks a lot for the tip. So far I had been up empty,

Haven't replaced mine on my '07 but they're getting weak and making noise, so it"s just a matter of time.

Getting new tires next week. Replaced the battery in spring, that's been all I've done other than brakes, oil changes and air and cabin filters. '07 Outlander, almost 80K.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,241

Getting new tires next week. Replaced the battery in spring, that's been all I've done other than brakes, oil changes and air and cabin filters. '07 Outlander, almost 80K.

Let us know which tires you get. My '10GT is due for tires before the snow starts falling. Last January, after 4 years of ownership, I replaced the OEM battery and a few months ago splurged on the nav update but otherwise have only had to do oil changes, tire rotations, and the occasional filter. I only have 39K miles on mine so the brakes are still good.
    Just an update. I found a vendor on Ebay selling the exact replacement liftgate struts for $30 each with warranty and free shipping. Popped right in. I'm happy but later found a vendor on Amazon that sells a pair for $40.
    I got General Grabbers again, price was right, got a rebate and the current set have served us well.
    Well I finally got my 2007 49 state LS exhaust system replacement for my ever rusting and decaying stock exhaust. I ordered a Magnaflow Stainless Steel system (cat back to mate to the rear muffler flange) that is much beefier in wall thickness and appears the pipe diameter is a bit larger while mating up to the stock flanges nicely. It was like $545 with free shipping, but I had to wait a few weeks while they fabricated one as they were out of stock. I will say be prepared to use an Oxy-acetylene torch to cut the rear flange nuts/bolts off by first cutting the pipe ahead of the flange with a reciprocating saw to get the muffler out where you can work on it (you couldn't recognize the nuts/bolts through the rusty fused lump). Overall , outside of the pipe getting a pit close to the drive-shaft (doesn't touch though) I'm very impressed and this section of exhaust will never rot away like the OEM one. If you don't choose to reuse the rear muffler you need to go OEM for like $320 plus shipping. I was also able to ruse the O2 sensor and pre wound up the cable as there is a rusted plate covering where the disconnect was, (I plastic tied it away from hot pipe/catalyst. The Junk yard gave me $45 for the old catalytic converter and 85 cents for the rusting out rest of the exhaust making the exercise about $530 after you include buying new gaskets and nuts/bolts. (save springs from front flange).
    Recall notice for my "07 Outlander. Stop lamp switch. Was looking at the maintenance schedule, looks like Transfer case fluid change and coolant change are due, I'll either have my independent mechanic do it or maybe do it myself if I feel ambitious.